Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per WSB-TV, Nancy Reagan Has Passed Away

skinsmarydu

http://www.npr.org/2016/03/06/139726039/nancy-reagan-presidents-fiercest-protector-dies-at-94

Nancy Reagan, President's Fiercest Protector, Dies At 94

Former first lady Nancy Reagan died Sunday, according to the Reagan Foundation and her stepson Michael Reagan. She was 94.

Like most first ladies, Nancy Reagan was the target of both praise and criticism. She brought an elegance to the White House that some thought was long overdue. But others said it was the sign of an out-of-touch administration during tough economic times. Reagan was criticized for meddling in White House affairs, but she was also credited with her "Just Say No" campaign against drug abuse.

Later in life, Reagan nursed the former president during his long struggle with Alzheimer's disease. She later became a strong advocate for stem-cell research, in the hope that it would lead to a cure.

. . .

Wow 94.

I knew about "just say no," but I didn't know she was an advocate for stem-cell research.

Here's a note from Hollywood commie pinko Norman Lear:

At 8:50 this Sunday morning I received a call to tell me I'd just lost a friend. Nancy Reagan had died. "You lost a 'friend?'" a second friend exclaimed mockingly in another phone call. I hung up as quickly as I could and cried, not just for Nancy who was terribly frail the last times I'd seen her, but as much for the place we'd reached in our culture when, for the most part, all civility and understanding seems to have been wrung out of our common humanity when we differ politically.

I certainly disagreed with President Reagan's politics, and he with mine, but those opinions were expressed in a series of personal letters and conversations, not in the playground antics that passes for political discourse today. But back to Mrs. Reagan. I liked her from the first time I danced with her forty some years ago -- before that, when at meeting me, she smiled. I thought her charming, gracious, forever warm and interested, fully able to resonate to a partisan but empathic source with which she was not necessarily familiar.

Too many words, perhaps, when all I mean to say is that I cared very much for the First Lady; one of my proudest moments was when she asked me to present an award to her, given by the John Wayne Hospital; and I will miss the now and again times we met for lunch or afternoon tea. And then there was her smile.

---

The short piece was sweetly headlined, "Goodbye for Now, Dear Nancy." 

Few people in the public spotlight have been mythologized like Ronald and Nancy Reagan. While I didn't expect to see or read anything about her interference with the smooth running of American politics or her obsession with astrology that doesn't mean it ain't the truth.

Former Reagan chief of staff Donald Regan in his book For the Record spoke of Nancy Reagan’s obsession with astrology and the occult.

"Virtually every major move and decision the Reagans made during my time as White House Chief of Staff was cleared in advance with a woman in San Francisco who drew up horoscopes to make certain that the planets were in a favorable alignment for the enterprise." As reported in Time magazine in May ’88, Nancy changed the time and date of scheduled events, canceled trips and severely restricted activities outside the White House. Regan was forced to keep a color-coded calendar on his desk to track the President's "good", "bad" and "iffy" days, and on at least one occasion Nancy gave Regan a list in which large chunks of time were marked "stay home," or "be careful" or "no public exposure." Nancy's intrusions in the scheduling process "began to interfere with the normal conduct of the presidency."

Archived