Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DC United 2016

jpage520

I searched, and didn't find a specific thread for the boys in black and red so I thought I'd throw one up. With the Superdraft coming up, CCL play in a few weeks, the MLS season in a month and a half, and the new stadium being drawn up there is a lot happening soon for United.

Any other supporters of DCU here? Barras? Screaming Eagles? Ultras?

This is the all encompassing 2016 DCU/MLS thread.

What are your thoughts, predictions, and hopes for this year? Let's make a good thread to chat about all things DCU and the upcoming MLS season as we cheer on United in hopes for another cup being brought back to DC.

VAMOS UNITED!

I agree.

Obviously RFK holds a place in the hearts of virtually every DC sports fan, and even now it has such a "It may be a dump, but it's our dump." kinda feel. The place may be literally crumbling and have a raccoon problem, but we still rock those stands.

But you're right. Not only is DCU a flagship franchise, they're one of the most successful. The rivalry with RBNY is one of the most intense in the league. We have the league's oldest supporters groups. Some of the most noteworthy moments in the league's entire existence are rooted with United. It's an absolute travesty that the league as well as our FO has allowed the team to go without a proper stadium for so long. Buzzard Point looks awesome. I hope it looks as good as some of the renderings. My only concern is that I hope they don't price out some of their longtime supporters once it's built.

Supported them from day one even if I'm not in the area. Been excited for them to finally get a new stadium. As one of the flagship franchises, MLS should have done more to help them. So many teams have got new stadiums way before United.

Went to the first game and still love them.

Their first few seasons were so great to watch, as they really built a fantastic team that was fun to watch.

Too bad the league seemed to want LA to excel (west coast) and NY to excel (east coast), and I loved watching United smack the new-yawkers around on a regular basis.

I'll love the new stadium and I've read several places that the ownership wants to step up spending on the roster after they move from RFK.

I hope so. I'm not really into the idea of spending a truckload on some European star on his way out looking for one last payday as seems to be the trend in the MLS lately. But I would like to see us be in play for some of the league's top talent. I'd also love to see a strong emphasis on youth and the development system.

There is promise to this league. But not if it continues to basically be a training ground for the major clubs overseas. It's a significant problem when you have one player on the squad with two Bentleys in his garage and everyone else is making payments on a KIA.

Anyone have any thoughts on the implementation of a relegation system?

But but BUT ..... 

They aren't fan owned (stop laughing at the back), full of superstars, and completely dominate a one team league down to their financial might. 

How in the World do you Sir go for a team with none of that?  ;).

Hail. 

The same way I don't post how good my mediocre little team is sooooo great in every thread I can find.

Love DC since day one, and I will always love them. 

Maybe not financially. But there certainly was a time in which this team was dominant.

I'm aware y'all are talking about your BPL teams. But for the sake of staying on topic, just had to put in my two cents lol.

Do you ever get MLS matches over on your side of the pond GHH?

Saving THAT gem for prosperity before you edit it.  :P.

Hail. 

LOL at the edit.

Read it again, slowly, as I know you need to do:

"The same way I don't post how good my mediocre little team is sooooo great in every thread I can find."

Translate:

"The same way I don't post, like GHH, to tell everyone that a mediocre Pool is somehow the greatest team ever".

Sorry that you can't read and comprehend 'English'.

DC United forever!!!!!

Do you ever get MLS matches over on your side of the pond GHH?

One of the major broadcasters, Sky, won the exclusive broadcasts rights in a 4 year deal that started last season to show live MLS games. They have a dedicated channel. Not sure how popular it is given the overall standard of the league and time difference on kick-off times. But at least it's there if anyone is interested.

Good to see the league slowly growing and expanding into the major European markets. 

LOL at the edit.

Read it again, slowly .....

You continue to spew your out right lying B/S, I'll continue to read things how you post. 

Simples.  :D

But I would suggest you took this back to the other thread. No need to infest another thread with your nauseating MO. 

Hail. 

One of the major broadcasters, Sky, won the exclusive broadcasts rights in a 4 year deal that started last season to show live MLS games. They have a dedicated channel. Not sure how popular it is given the overall standard of the league and time difference on kick-off times. But at least it's there if anyone is interested.

Good to see the league slowly growing and expanding into the major European markets. 

You continue to spew your out right lying B/S, I'll continue to read things how you post. 

Simples.  :D

But I would suggest you took this back to the other thread. No need to infest another thread with your nauseating MO. 

Hail. 

Look, dummy, I wasn't the one who came over here to start another load of crap.  Won't address you here again.  You came here to stalk/come after me.  As far as I'm concerned, this is a DCU thread.  I'll continue to make you look bad in your own thread,  Keep it there.

Let's go DCU.

And on behalf of my simple minded friend, I apologize to jpage520 and any other DCU fans for this interruption.  Thanks for this thread and I won't jumble it up with anything non-DCUnited related.

Anyone have any thoughts on the implementation of a relegation system?

Never here in America.

1.  Money - no investor would pay the fee to get in the league, build a stadium, market a brand, etc, with the possibility of not being in top flight

2.  TV Rights - in USA, New York, Miami,  Chicago, Dallas, LA are the big markets where TV dollars come from.  A league where the possibility of having no LA/NY team, but ones in say Rochester and Sacramento, means far fewer TV dollars.

3.  Size of country - In European countries, they can have lots of teams in or near top markets and getting to even small cities is relatively easy.  In the US, much easier to get to big cities, not so much for smaller places.

4.  Baseball shows that relegation of teams isn't necessary, as lesser players get moved out and bigger players move in.  This is basically what happens when teams get relegated, but in US, the top brands (teams) can stay the same and keep the revenue/fans in one place.

There's not enough interest or money in US Soccer to have a relegation system yet.

It would bankrupt an MLS team if you even tried to set it up where only 10 teams can win the MLS cup each year.

We have to be eligible for a championship.  We aren't patient as a country and we have to have everything when we want it and how we want it.

I understand that we're not ready for any kind of relegation system here. Given our sports landscape, I can't see it happening. I'd just love to see some kind of NASL and MLS collaboration towards making professional soccer here bigger and better as a whole. It's frustrating seeing our league here basically act as a retirement home for national stars and a training ground for the bigger national clubs.

I actually really like the look of the stadium itself. My biggest beef with the stadium though is that they're basically eliminating parking and expecting all to do public transpo. I get it. But as someone who loves tailgating, especially with my fellow Barras in Lot 8, it's kind of a blow.

I actually really like the look of the stadium itself. My biggest beef with the stadium though is that they're basically eliminating parking and expecting all to do public transpo. I get it. But as someone who loves tailgating, especially with my fellow Barras in Lot 8, it's kind of a blow.

Yeah, I'm lucky because I can park at Fort McNair, literally 2 blocks up the road.

But I was thinking the same thing.

If you aren't military, you're screwed with the parking.

Lol The original Lot 8 tailgate will now become "Bargate".

Gonna miss that. I love tailgates. Especially ones where club members get free beer lol. Now on top of raised ticket prices, it's gonna be pay for Metro or park far out, then pay a bar tab. One of my favorite parts of DCU games is that it's so much more economical than some of the other local teams. Used to get the Supporters Group ticket for under $20 and then pay $20 to park. One time membership fee = free beer and food pregame.

One of the things that I, just like a number of other United fans have been concerned about is DCU pricing their long time loyal fans out of the new place. Which would really suck for the team in general. The luster of the new building wears off after a while. After that, you have to rely on those long time supporters. Especially in the down years. Let's hope ownership has that in mind.

Bill Hamid out SIX months with a knee injury. Damn.

Was just coming to post this.  I guess it happened on USMNT training.

I swear, none of my teams have any luck with health when on national duty.

This is ****ing unsat.  Dykstra is a joke and we normally earn most of our points early in the season before teams outspend us in the summer window.

Not good at all.

Archived