Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #Redskins General Manager Scot McCloughan Quotes

TK

You're interpreting it however you want because you are biased. Here is what he says one sentence before the one that you're commandeering for your own purposes:

Clearly states right there that he had Scherff ranked higher.

Yeah, and there were tweets on draft day that had Scherff as #3, and Williams wan't #1 or #2.

Iowa OL Brandon Scherff was 3rd overall on the Redskins board, behind only Dante Fowler and Amari Cooper. So they did well to get him at 5.

Yeah, and there were tweets on draft day that had Scherff as #3, and Williams wan't #1 or #2.

Albert Breer@AlbertBreer 2m2 minutes ago

Iowa OL Brandon Scherff was 3rd overall on the Redskins board, behind only Dante Fowler and Amari Cooper. So they did well to get him at 5.

Did anyone every see the board,because you know every team says this exact thing. Plus it sounds like Scott was going to trade the pick if Fowler fell to them.

Did anyone every see the board,because you know every team says this exact thing. Plus it sounds like Scott was going to trade the pick if Fowler fell to them.

Which means teams wanted Fowler over Williams, and had him higher on their boards as well.

Someone must have, and told Albert Breer, because Breer doesn't tend to tweet lies and propaganda very often.

And you heard it straight from Scot's mouth with the quote ConnSkins put up, he had Scherff as 1A or 1B to Williams' 1B or 1C.

I assume Amari Cooper is the 1A where Scherff is the 1B, while Fowler would be trade bait, but the main point is that he flatly told us Scherff was BPA on his board over Williams.

Now, I suppose one could just call our GM a liar and say he's trying to save face for a "need" pick, but there is absolutely no evidence of that; in fact, the real world leans the opposite way, towards his words being truthful.

Just a thought here. If the 7th round center can start & Moses can make the move inside to G, then Scot just rebuilt the OL with one draft.

On the other hand if those can start but only later in the season then you could have a phase changing run game. Morris with more of the finesse zone run game to start. Then as the OL gets beefier in the back side of the season, Morris could slowly get phased out as well for the power run game.

I like Reiter as a prospect, but I'm not sure he's strong enough to step in. I think Long and Larsen get first crack at replacing Lich at center. But with Chester on the roster, he's technically our backup center if Lich goes down.

Couple teams cleaning house today in their personnel departments. Jets did, Eagles as well. Info I saw on the Eagles:

Eagles fire:

• Anthony Patch, Director of College Scouting - Had been with the Eagles for 11 years. Current position since 2012.

• Rick Mueller, Director of Pro Personnel - Joined the Eagles in 2012.

• Brad Obee, Southwest Area Scout - Joined the Eagles in 2009.

No surprise with Power Trip Chip in charge, these are Howie Roseman's guys.

Let's hope we're next.

Well, I don't want him firing people just for the sake of firing them. If there people in the department that are his kind of scouts, then fine.

However, listening to the PC, while GM Scott offered the scouting department praise and said they did a good job, his words were very non-committal. I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes. Maybe some additions. Maybe some subtractions.

Maybe both. :)

I'm still holding out hope that we somehow maneuver for Highsmith.  I know that he wasn't escaping GB before the draft, but now that its over I would absolutely love to get him on board.  Would be an absolute coup, and take our FO from likely good under Scot to dangerously great with both of them.

Please...please...I waaaaaaaaaaaaaaant it.

A few things I noticed after watching the post draft press conference...

1. SM references the owner as Dan. Few do that (I.e. Gibbs) so that indicates he is seriously accepted as part of the Executive team.

2. Constant licking of lips and drinking of water. Could indicate intense desire as well as a calming effect in tense/nervous situations. Could also be interpreted as as a indicator of minor OCD.

3. "Sunglass tan" Seems like he spends a lot of time outside which IMO is great. More time evaluating people from the field. Busy and active, not just in the tape room.

4. General statements:

4a. Winning in January and February...not just getting to the playoffs, but advancing in them once we do.

4b. This team has gotten better. We are just starting. Over time we will have a much stronger roster (Something to that effect). Speaks volumes.

4c. Very positive reference to Scott Campbell. Makes me wonder how he has been here so long and hasn't quit. I wonder if previous regimes have ignored or discredited his recommendations. Good news IMO.

4d. Owner and President were in attendance in the draft room. I am guessing here, but I am hoping that it was a more of a traditional act (he does own the team and write the checks) than a participatory act. I hope Dan is seeing a real GM and team in action. I hope he sees and is learning compared to previous regimes.

Just some general personal observations (aside from all of the player, draft methodology and overall positive draft comments).

I'm excited!

EDIT: That photo about the coach not taking questions about certain players because of lack of commitment and excuses was damning for La'el Collins. He wont be here.

Re: he indicated that Dan and Bruce in the room, indicated Bruce was manning the phones, SM was dealing with the board. No specific role for Dan.

Said no wholesale changes for scouting dept. but I'd be shocked if there weren't a few chsnges.

Also interesting, if the scouting dept is actually talented, says more about Shanahan and Bruce than anything.

Clearly has a vision, a concept and tried and true method of evaluating talent. Has a criteria and sticks to it. This team has lacked a focus/identity for so long...I love Scot McCloughan's direction. I think the bad cycle has finally been broken.

Also interesting, if the scouting dept is actually talented, says more about Shanahan and Bruce than anything.

I remember after Vinny was FINALLY canned, there were stories about the current crop of guys had tried to work against Vinny's machinations; opposed Malcolm Kelly and the like, but was always overruled.

I had thought their role was more involved in the decision making process under Shanahan, but maybe they weren't, which would indeed say a lot about the dysfunction we had in the talent evaluation department.

:ph34r:

:ph34r:

I still want Highsmith though.

Archived