Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MercuryNews: Trent Baalke runs the show, declares the 49ers’ principles, and oh, Jim Tomsula was there, too (i,e the 49ers are a mess)

SkinsHokieFan

If our franchise hadn't been so dysfunctional over the Snyder error, this would be fun to laugh at.

So what has happened in 49er land?

The fire one of the best HC's in the NFL who just went 44-19-1 over a 4 year period and led the team to 3 straight NFCCG and was 5 yards from a Superbowl win.

The 49ers FO lets their stud D coordinator go

The 49ers then elevate Jim Zorn, Tomsula, a d-line coach who has never been an NFL coordinator

Some laughs from the PC today

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2015/01/15/trent-baalke-runs-show-pulls-strings/

SANTA CLARA—Trent Baalke couldn’t help himself, because he had to help Jim Tomsula.

Baalke had to take the wheel, issue the message, reveal where the real power is located.

The 49ers general manager had to (metaphorically) step from the background and bluntly acknowledge that he was the guy in charge here, beyond all doubt.

Because Tomsula needed him. And because Baalke and owner Jed York hired Tomsula as 49ers coach knowing—and loving–that he needed them.

(Hey, Jim Harbaugh never needed them. And he’s gone.)

So on Thursday, there was Tomsula speaking about football philosophy at his introductory news conference, with Baalke sitting regally beside him.

Well, I think Tomsula was talking about his football philosophy, but it was hard to tell—there was some spluttering, mumbling and lots of words amounting to not very much.

Baalke’s faced twitched just a bit as Tomsula wound down, then the GM waded right in.

“I think somewhere in there,” Baalke said dryly, “he said we’re going to run the football.”

Tomsula laughed along with York and the rest of the room.

Link for rest

It could be Mike Singletary all over again or a brilliant hire.  I read something saying this guy has been an under the radar HC candidate for a couple years in league circles.  It's just odd that they blew up a really good coaching staff when they promoted him.  

I'll say I think the whole "he's never been a coordinator" thing is overblown.  Can the guy motivate his players?  Can he manage the game?  A HC doesn't have to be a good X and O guy, as much as he needs to be a leader of men.  

Check out this interview (LOL).  He is more awkward than I would be, had they hired me right now, at this very moment.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/video_content_type/tomsula-addresses-process-finding-coordinators

That was painful to watch.  I actually felt bad for the anchor trying to interview him.  He got so many three or four word responses, you could tell he was struggling to fill the time because he wasn't getting anything from the coach.  It would have been easier interviewing a Pop-Tart.

The beginning of the interview was particularly painful from a confidence standpoint.  He was sort of mumbling, giving non-verbal answers.  I mean, sure, if you're tired or sick I can get this in a normal conversation but dude...you're on TV/internet.  Speak up.  Even if you'd rather not comment, just say so, or come up with something.  

Don't be like "hrm, ye..hrm!"

Check out this interview (LOL).  He is more awkward than I would be, had they hired me right now, at this very moment.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/video_content_type/tomsula-addresses-process-finding-coordinators

I think he was dead panning him on purpose..maybe some history in the media so he thought stuff you I'm groin to make you squirm when you interview me.

Many Bay Area writers wrote stories about the new SF head coach interview with Comcast.

I think he did not want to reveal that the GM is hiring his offensive and defensive coordinators.

The 49ers will win fewer games next year than the Redskins.

You get what you pay for and this head coach is earning a much lower salary than Jim Harbaugh.

Archived