Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Russell is as bad a move as signing Sanders was

Chief skin

Snyder refuses to learn from his mistakes, after this latest move which will be another disaster I am officially a Snyder hater. Russell is bad news most likely will get banned from the league, then u have the added feature the THE MAN HAS NOT PLAYED FOOTBALL IN A YEAR AND A HALF, he is not in football shape:doh:

Just another dumba$$ move by Snyder, Cerrato... It is sad to watch my team, a team I have lived through the ups and downs with over the last 36 years being RUINED from within.

Oh, c'mon. Do you see Snyder giving Russell a $6m signing bonus. 800k isn't going to make a dent in our cap situation, and we were $5m under to begin with.

This is a lot more comparable w/ the Gardener signing than the Deion one. Fills an immediate need with little risk, but we will lose him to another team when the season's over.

What is the risk?

Lets say he goes off and a drug induced raping spree. Snyder gets some bad press Russell goes to jail and we return to where we will with almost no cap implications. On the flip side if he has truely learned his lesson and plays to his early form, we look brillant and will get the pass rush we desperately need

I have to disagree you can't compare the Deion signing to bringing Russell in. Sanders was given about a $25mil contract with $8mil in signing bounes plus the fact Brian Mitchell was cut to make room for Deion. Russell' offer is only for the remainder of the season for what $800k, it's a no brainer no loose situation compared to the Deion Sanders fiasco:hammer:

I've been a huge Snyder critic, but I'm sorry, I can't really kill him for making this move. Financially, it's a drop in the bucket and from a football perspective, it was worth a shot.

Yeah, the guy's a complete headcase who very well may getted banned again...but...(shrug)...what are you gonna do? Travis Henry ran for 167 yards against us...

And yeah, the Deion comparison really doesn't hold water in any way...

To me the only thing at risk here is Snyders reputation and I, for one, dont think he is to worried about what others think of him. As a diehard fan I am grateful that we have an owner that cares about winning. I know alot of fans from other teams that knock him in public but privately wish that their owners were more like him.

You know how many teams were ready to snatch Rusell up if Snyder didn't sign him ....Dallas, and Tampa were two of em...so I don't see how is rep is on the line when we weren't the only team that showed an interest in Russell.

But if it doesn't work out of course all the vultures and naysayers will jump up and say "Danny Boy" is trying to buy another championship

I think it's a great move. The kid is a huge talent, and made some bad mistakes! He has learned from those, I hope and has grown up. He's been in therapy as well. He deserves a second chance, and I don't think he will let this orginization down. Not everday does a pro bowl defensive tackle fall in your lap. Hopefully if he's reformed, we can sign him to a long term deal. He is only 27. He has a lot more talent the Sapp IMO!

great move we ar not paying him a lot and he has a lot to prove. I do think if he turns into what he was before (pro bowl DT) That because the skins have handled this very well we will get the first option to sign him long term.

Deon was a joke because of his age and the salary. This is a steal for the skins at the price.

If he keeps himself in line off of the field, then it could be a great signing. Very little risk since we signed him for only 800k. As for condition, he looked good and has been working out as much as five hours a day. That doesn't mean he is ready to hit and be hit for an entire game, but he should be in good shape.

Originally posted by Mad Monkey

You know how many teams were ready to snatch Rusell up if Snyder didn't sign him ....Dallas, and Tampa were two of em...so I don't see how is rep is on the line when we weren't the only team that showed an interest in Russell.

But if it doesn't work out of course all the vultures and naysayers will jump up and say "Danny Boy" is trying to buy another championship

Read your post......"I dont see how his rep is on the line" followed by "But if it doesn't work out of course all the vultures and naysayers will jump up and say "Danny Boy" is trying to buy another championship" You just debated yourself!

Originally posted by Chief skin

Snyder refuses to learn from his mistakes, after this latest move which will be another disaster I am officially a Snyder hater. Russell is bad news most likely will get banned from the league, then u have the added feature the THE MAN HAS NOT PLAYED FOOTBALL IN A YEAR AND A HALF, he is not in football shape:doh:

Just another dumba$$ move by Snyder, Cerrato... It is sad to watch my team, a team I have lived through the ups and downs with over the last 36 years being RUINED from within.

Just another over exagerated post. I mean come on. If the guy hadn't had a bad off the field record we'd be sitting here giggling like a bunch of girls for getting this guy. He was (before the trouble) probably the best DT in the game. But all of a sudden because a guy is trying to turn his life around and make a difference and getting his football career back, he's the biggest cancer ever. Give me a break. We dont' need fans like you who criticize everything that Snyder does. Snyder is doing what an owner should do. Try and improve his team the best he can. The guy is 10 times better than the fodder we are putting on the field right now even being 2 years removed from playing. Give me a break. We don't need fans like you who cry all the damn time. I"m pretty tired of listening to it to be honest with you. Go root for the damn Ravens.

:tongue:

Originally posted by jbooma

great move we ar not paying him a lot and he has a lot to prove. I do think if he turns into what he was before (pro bowl DT) That because the skins have handled this very well we will get the first option to sign him long term.

It looks like a no-win situation to me. If he doesn't get his life off the field under control, or he doesn't produce anything on the field, you guys spent $800K and a roster spot and got no return on your investment. If he does improve your defense on the field and keeps his nose clean off of it, he's an unrestricted FA at the end of the year, and you'll be competing with 31 other teams for his services at the end of the year.

Are you going to let Champ walk so you have enough room to sign Russell?

Originally posted by Lavarisgod

Read your post......"I dont see how his rep is on the line" followed by "But if it doesn't work out of course all the vultures and naysayers will jump up and say "Danny Boy" is trying to buy another championship" You just debated yourself!

You need to re-read my post, I'm saying that's what the media and Snyders critics will say , that they will be quick to jump on him saying that he is trying to buy a championship...Only a FOOL would debate himself or are you that much of a noob to understand that :rolleyes:

Easy Cheifskin this isn't 2000. This is a really good move on paper and on the field. Russell was a beast before he got in trouble, and if he is just half of what he was, then he's more than Holsey and Chase combined. I hope we keep him. We haven;t had too many thrre technique guys come through this organization. Russell may be a keeper if he's grown up.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

We will be paying 800k for the worthless balls of crap we have a DT right now. WHat difference does it make if we cut one of them and give Russell the same money? You'd have a point if we gave him real money, but we didnt.

Actually, we are paying a lot more than 800k for some of the worthless balls of crap we have at DT right now.

This signing is a no-brainer.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

We will be paying 800k for the worthless balls of crap we have a DT right now. WHat difference does it make if we cut one of them and give Russell the same money? You'd have a point if we gave him real money, but we didnt.

Signing Russell was a smart gamble.

Like you said, if you all overpaid, the comparison to Sanders would be applicable.

I see nothing wrong with the risk.

It's not like you traded two number ones to get him...ala Sean Gilbert.

He could be another Daryl Gardener or a flop.

Sounds okay to me.

I'm really hoping this works out for all involved. Hopefully, Russell has matured a bit since he's now 27. Also, I hope the Skins stay very actively involved in making sure he doesn't screw up again. If he is close to the player he was, re-signing him in the offseason plus the addition of a pass rushing DE would take our DL from pathetic to decent overnight.

However, the problem I have with the whole situation is that once again our F.O. is running around like chickens with their heads cut off trying to put a band aid on a problem they've ignored for years now. Outside of multiple injury situations like Denver has experienced this season for example, you don't see other teams' F.O. in total disarray due to miscalculations in the offseason.

This has got to stop. Last season Darryl Gardner saved our bacon and now here we go again with Russell. :rolleyes:

Unless we gave Russell an $8 mil signing bonus, this move is nothing like the Deion signing.

It's a low-risk move, but I think Yomar made the best point. It smacks of desperation. We should not have had to make this move in the first place. Now we are all going to be hoping this guy we picked up off the street can immediately come in and play like an all-pro.

And that's just depressing.

Archived