Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Beating PSU and Michigan ON THE ROAD??? 

I wouldn't even chalk up Rutgers as a win, because if there is anyone who can figure out how to exploit the Terps, it's Fridge.  I'd be shocked if they won 3 B1G games this year...I'm setting the bar at 2. 

PSU isn't PSU right now. They're lacking some serious depth at some key positions due to the sanctions.

I've talked to quite a few PSU fans and even they wouldn't be shocked if MD beat them....this year at least.

The B1G has good teams but overall it's a slow conference.

Heck, it's not even as fast as the ACC.

You'll see.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/07/01/maryland-terrapins-terps-big-ten-2014-countdown-preview-roster-depth-chart-schedule-football-four/11775651/

College Football Countdown | No. 64: Maryland

Every team deals with injuries, that constant and unpredictable nuisance of nuisances, but Marylandlives with injuries, year after year, come rain, shine or Florida State.

The boiling point came in last November's game with Virginia Tech, when the Terrapins' injury report ran longer than the Magna Carta: 15 players – including all-world wide receiver Stefon Diggs and running mate Deon Long – were listed as either Out or Out for the season, essentially robbing Randy Edsall's third team of the depth needed to make a serious charge into the top half of the Atlantic Coast Conference.

So long, ACC; hello, Big Ten. Like Rutgers, the Terps prepare for a new conference with a slight sense of unease – the new kid on the first day of school, basically. Unlike Rutgers, however, Maryland has the talent and scheme needed to make some immediate noise in this new league, perhaps vaulting into a top-three spot in the East Division.

But that's only if the Terps can stay healthy. December's bowl loss to Marshall featured eight freshmen and sophomores in starting roles on offense, with another four on defense. Another fourteen freshmen and sophomores occupied spots on the two-deep. That's not going to fly against the Buckeyes, Spartans and Wolverines, among others.

Has Maryland tried stretching? Staying hydrated? Gatorade? Shoulder pads? Ace bandages? Hypnotism? It's time to pull out all the stops, Terps, because this is going to go one of two ways: Maryland stays healthy and competes, or Maryland struggles with injuries and disappoints.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

http://www.testudotimes.com/2014/8/1/5960621/nigel-king-maryland-transfer

Maryland junior WR Nigel King transferring, per report

Junior wide receiver Nigel King will transfer from Maryland after being granted his release by the program, Matt Zenitz of the Baltimore Sun is reporting.

The move isn't terribly surprising, considering Maryland's loaded wide receiving unit. Despite catching a team-high four touchdowns in 2013, he was unable to grab a starting job on the preseason depth chart, saddled behind Deon Long at one of the two outside receiver positions. Fellow North Carolinian Marcus Leak, returning from a year away from the school, had claimed the other starting outside job, with Stefon Diggs firmly implanted at the slot.

After catching nine passes for 125 yards and a touchdown as a freshman in 2012, King saw his playing time increase with Leak's absence and caught 33 passes for 450 yards last season. He was likely going to battle with speedster Amba Etta-Tawo, four-star recruit Juwann Winfree and growing urban legend Taivon Jacobs for playing time at the outside, and will likely find a better opportunity at another school.

While more weapons is obviously better, this isn't a huge on-field loss for the Terrapins. King may have won a starting job as a senior, but the amount of talent they have at the position allows for (and likely causes) a few cases of attrition.

King was a highly-touted recruit coming out of high school, choosing the Terps over offers from LSU, South Carolina and North Carolina, among others.

This is getting ugly. This program is a wreck. I know you can't blame something like this on Turgeon, but he did just recruit this kid and put a lot of eggs in this basket. He can't seem to get this program moving forward.

Makes getting Cekovsky all the more important. Gonna have to rely on Damonte Dodd some more. Our front line isn't exactly the strongest. We have like 4-5 shooting guards on the team.

Edited by abdcskins

PSU isn't PSU right now. They're lacking some serious depth at some key positions due to the sanctions.

I've talked to quite a few PSU fans and even they wouldn't be shocked if MD beat them....this year at least.

The B1G has good teams but overall it's a slow conference.

Heck, it's not even as fast as the ACC.

You'll see.

We'll see.  Penn State has potentially one of the best QB's in the nation, and he's only a true sophomore.  The defense is incredibly good though I'd like to see a slight upgrade in CB play, which favors Maryland.  It'll be interesting, that's for sure, but I wouldn't get too confident if I was you.

One thing I'll be interested in is how well Maryland holds up to the weekly pounding.  The Big 10 is, as a whole, a slower league, no doubt, though there are plenty of fast players in the conference.  It is a more consistently violent league, however.  I'm not talking about those giant hits you see when a WR comes over the middle and gets laid out by a safety, that happens everywhere.  I mean the play to play contact you don't pay as much attention to.  The BIG 10 is full of a lot of horses on both lines, plays a generally bruising brand of football, and beats on you.

Two examples off the top of my head.  One is the Penn State - LSU bowl game from 2010.  LSU was clearly a more talented team, but their speed was neutralized by rain and poor field conditions.  Penn State only won by two points, but had triple the rushing yardage and forced LSU into three turnovers.  They wore them out.

The more glaring example was a bowl game between Wisconsin and Miami in 2009, when the weather was perfect and the team were evenly matched.  The final score was 20-14 Wisconsin, though that's closer than it looks because Miami scored a TD with about a minute left in the game.  Wisconsin doubled Miami's offensive output and again, tripled their rushing output.  What I remember most about that game was that Miami's defense basically quit in the 3rd quarter.  They were tired of those Midwestern farm boys plowing into them over and over, and they started giving up giant chunks of yardage.

I'm not saying Maryland won't compete, I don't think you'll get blown out of many games, minus possibly Ohio State.  I am curious however, how your team will hold up to the constant pounding the Big 10 will put on them, stuff they won't have experienced nearly as much in the ACC.

Edited by Forehead

The physicality of the B1G is something MD will have to adjust to. Teams will just look to shove it down MD's throat. BC proved last year it could be done. It's the advantage most teams will have over MD. The speed for MD, especially with the WR is where MD will have to take advantage. If that speed can make up for the difference in how physical things will be, MD can compete. But since the speed is at WR, the OLine will have to hold up and Brown will have to be able to get the ball to the playmakers.

I pull for MD but you're seriously drinking the kool aid if you think they win more than 3 games this year. Maryland football is a joke. The Big10 is a better Football conference than the ACC. The kids at UMD are not use to prime time games. They are going to freeze up under the lights. Iowa ain't no joke just because it had a poor year in the conference does not mean its a bad team. UCF is not a joke either. Hell JMU might put up a fight against Maryland. Maryland is going to beat JMU, Cuse and Indiana and call it a day. You think UMD is going to go on the road and beat the home team that has more than 100,000 fans? Nah the players are going to freeze up. 

Moving to the big10 is one of the worst financial decisions they have ever made because after about 3 years only about 5 people are going to be buying Maryland tickets and merchandise. And the only way you will see them is if you scroll down to channel 9000 big10 network section 5 article 6 channel 9.

How many players have left since Randy took over? The players have no faith in the program. And Edsall is going to sit here and say foolishness about how he is happy that he is going to a football conference when he just got his ass whooped by the ACC national champions FSU 63-0. So if FSU whooped his ass that bad and its not a football school then whats the big 10 going to do?

Hell they might have to make UMD a DIII school in a few years.

Alot of those big10 teams are in areas where Football rules all. Football over academics football over god football over everything. Its not like that at Maryland. Football don't rule Maryland like they do at other schools.

I root for 3 schools. PSU, UMD and Arkansas. I love Maryland but they are in for a long dark period in their football history.

I root for 3 schools. PSU, UMD and Arkansas. I love Maryland but they are in for a long dark period in their football history.

PSU and MD?

Every Terps fan I've ever met despises PSU.  :P

Maryland players report to camp today. The first practice of preseason camp is tomorrow at 4:30

Click on the link to read the rest.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bal-joe-theismann-raves-about-terps-class-of-2015-qb-commit-gage-shaffer-20140803,0,1965901.story

Joe Theismann raves about Terps' Class of 2015 QB commit Gage Shaffer

Joe Theismann has certain characteristics he looks for when evaluating any quarterback. Size. Arm strength. Accuracy. The ability to throw on the run. There are others.

To Theismann, Maryland's Class of 2015 quarterback commit, Gage Shaffer from Ridgeley (W.Va.), has a lot of those characteristics.

"He’s one of most impressive young men I've seen,” said Theismann, who played quarterback for the Washington Redskins from 1974-85 and has been an NFL analyst 29 years since retiring.

Granted, Theismann has never seen Shaffer play in person. The extent of Theismann’s scouting is two videos on YouTube.

But one of the clips is of Shaffer at a camp that shows both good and bad throws. The other was a highlight video, which Theismann understands. “But it’s not like it was just two minutes long,” Theismann said.

"It was impressive,” Theismann said. “He really is. I looked at both videos twice because it was just down right fun watching him throw the football.”

Rivals.com rates Shaffer as just a two-star recruit. ESPN ranks him as just a three-star, although ESPN national recruiting director Tom Luginbill did say during a phone interview that Shaffer is a prospect he likes a lot.

However, Theismann thinks Shaffer, who is listed at 6 feet 7, 210 pounds, is a better prospect than either ranking suggests.

This was a good read.

Click on the link to read the rest.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/othersports/kristi-tolivers-career-speaks-volumes-about-life-as-a-womens-basketball-player/2014/08/01/87d354c6-197b-11e4-88f7-96ed767bb747_story.html

Kristi Toliver's career speaks volumes about life as a women’s basketball player

On May 6, in an office at the Department of Domestic Affairs in Bratislava,Kristi Toliver — Virginia-born, Maryland-educated, as American as jazz — swallowed hard, signed some documents and swore on her “honor and conscience” to be a faithful and upstanding citizen of the Slovak Republic. A process that had been more than a year in the making was completed in a day and a half. Soon she was in possession of a Slovak passport, now a dual U.S.-Slovak citizen. She was, at least for basketball purposes, a European.

As she boarded her flight back to the United States, she was the same Kristi, but everything felt different. Behind her was another winter-spring season of Russian professional ball; ahead was another summer season with the Los Angeles Sparks of the WNBA .

Elite women’s basketball players are used to serving two masters — roughly 75 percent of players in the WNBA play overseas during the league’s offseason — but now, for Toliver, there would be a third: the Slovak national team. That was part of the deal for the passport.

Navigating the summer of 2014, as she toggled between Los Angeles and Bratislava, would take all the stamina that Toliver, 27, could muster. “It’s getting to the point where I just don’t want to hit complete burnout,” she said.

How many players have left since Randy took over? The players have no faith in the program. And Edsall is going to sit here and say foolishness about how he is happy that he is going to a football conference when he just got his ass whooped by the ACC national champions FSU 63-0. So if FSU whooped his ass that bad and its not a football school then whats the big 10 going to do?

Certainly the B1G is going to represent a massive uphill climb in football.  And yes, Edsall sucks.

But using a game against the national championship-bound Seminoles as a presumptive yardstick for the B1G is the kind of thing that makes me say, "Welp, I can just go ahead and ignore that post."

If Maryland fans continue to no-show a sucky product, then at least there will be revenue from Byrd takeovers by the likes of Michigan State, Ohio State, and Iowa.  They'll show up to see their teams win and leave elevated levels of parking, admission, and concession dollars in Maryland's hands in the process.  In the ACC, not even that money is in the offering.  

And that is worst case for the B1G, given where the football program is now.  Attendance is already abysmal, second-worst among current B1G schools, beating only Northwestern.  Short of dramatically improving the product on the field overnight, the key to improving home numbers is to draw in other teams' fans.  Aside from the modest bump from Clemson, exactly zero home games did that last year in the ACC.  This despite the fact that Maryland managed to beat exactly one ACC team at Byrd.

So take a deep breath.  Athletics will go from bad to solvent in the B1G, instead of continuing to hit every rung down the short ladder in the ACC.

Click on the link to read the rest,

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2014-08-01/sports/bal-kai-locksley-maryland-terps-football-quarterbacks-20140731_1_kai-locksley-****erille-maryland-football

Despite missing on Gilman's Kai Locksley, Maryland football has options under center

Would the Maryland football teamicon1.png have liked a commitment from Kai Locksley? Sure.

The Gilman rising senior is an athleticicon1.png talent whom ESPN.com, Rivals.com and a number of major scouting services rank as one of the better dual-threat quarterbacks in the class of 2015.

But Locksley’s decision Thursday to commit to Florida State does not leave Maryland without quarterback options for the future.

Starter C.J. Brown will be gone after this season, but rising junior Caleb Rowe is expected to return. So are rising redshirt sophomore Perry Hills and rising redshirt freshman Shane ****erille (Gilman).

Hills started seven games as a freshman, in 2012, before suffering a season-ending knee injury. ****erille is a former four-star recruit who Maryland coaches feels has the potential to develop into a good player.

The Terps also have four-star freshman Will Ulmer, an athlete who will start his career at quarterback, and an oral commitment from class of 2015 prospect Gage Shaffer.

Click on the link to read the rest

http://sportschatplace.com/cfb-picks/2014/07/26/college-football-preview-the-2014-maryland-terrapins

College Football Preview: The 2014 Maryland Terrapins

The Maryland Terrapins hope to avoid the injury bug once again as they embark on their initial Big Ten campaign.

Overview: With the healthy return of numerous contributors Randy Edsall has plenty of talent in 2014. His job is to turn that talent in to wins in the Big Ten.

Offense: CJ Brown looks for a full season under center as do several dynamic weapons. Brown threw for 2,242 yards for 13 TD's and seven INT's with Perry Hills backing him up. Five players return that totaled at least 450 receiving yards with Stefon Diggs and Deon Long combining for over 1,000 yards despite both breaking their legs in game number seven versus Wake Forest so the upside to the passing attack is huge with this pair back. The backfield has plenty of ammunition with Brandon Ross (166-766) leading the way with CJ Brown adding 736 yards to make him an exciting duel threat. Albert Reid will see his share of action and Wes Brown returns after missing 2013 so the skill positions are loaded. Four on the O-Line have starting experience with a few very highly regarded recruits sure to see action.

Click on the link to read the rest

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bal-maryland-football-preseason-depth-chart-breakdown-20140724,0,5593070.story

Breaking down Maryland football's preseason depth chart

The depth chart could change between now and the start of the season, but this is how things stand heading into camp, with a little analysis on each position (starters in all caps):

OFFENSE

Quarterback: C.J. BROWN (Gr.), Caleb Rowe (Jr.), Perry Hills (RS So.), Shane ****erille (RS Fr.), Will Ulmer (Fr.)

Brown is the returning starter. He is a sixth-year senior and has been Maryland’s starting quarterback the last two years he has been healthy. Hills and ****erille will try to unseat Rowe as Brown’s backup.

Running back: WES BROWN (So.) or ALBERT REID (Jr.) or BRANDON ROSS (Jr.) or JACQUILLE VEII (So.), Joe Riddle (So.), Tehuti Miles (So.), Zac Morton (Fr.)

Brown, Reid, Ross and Veii are listed as co-starters. Playing time will come down to how each fares during camp.

Brown may be the most intriguing. He is a former four-star recruit and rushed for 382 yards in eight games as a freshman in 2012, but he was suspended last year and will have to continue to shake off the subsequent rust that comes along with a year off from football.

Ross is probably the favorite to be the primary ball-carrier. He was the starter last year and has led Maryland in rushing the last two seasons. However, Reid and Veii will be in the mix as well.

Reid is another former four-star recruit and ran for 294 yards in a situational role last year.

Veii is a dark-horse candidate for significant playing time. He is the fastest of the running backs, although he is also the smallest at 5-foot-9, 187 pounds.

Fullback: KENNETH GOINS JR. (So.), Tyler Cierski (Sr.), Andrew Stefanelli (So.)

Goins (Gilman) is the returning starter. However, he will have to hold off Cierski, who he beat out for the

Wide receiver: STEFON DIGGS (Jr.), Levern Jacobs (Jr.), Daniel Adams (Jr.), DeAndre Lane (So.)

Wide receiver: DEON LONG (Sr.), Nigel King (Jr.), Amba Etta-Tawo (So.), Juwann Winfree (Fr.)

Wide receiver: MARCUS LEAK (Jr.), Taivon Jacobs (RS Fr.), Malcolm Culmer (So.)

This is arguably the deepest and most talented group of receivers in the Big Ten.

Diggs and Long are the two big names, but Leak, Levern Jacobs, Etta-Tawo and King have all proven capable of making plays as well and all will compete for playing time during camp.

Leak took the year off from school and football last year, but he had 23 catches for 393 yards in seven games as a sophomore in 2012. Jacobs had 47 catches for 640 yards and three touchdowns last season, and King and Etta-Tawo both had 30-plus catches last year as well.

Jacobs’ younger brother, Taivon, will also be in the mix for playing time. Taivon Jacobs redshirted as a freshman last season, but ESPN rated him as a four-star recruit last year. He is only 5-9, 160, but he is probably the fastest player on Maryland’s roster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE-wWJnT31k

Click on the link to read the rest,

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/cj-brown-is-both-the-face-of-maryland-football-and-the-face-of-overcoming-adversity/2014/08/03/f9307eb2-1b2b-11e4-ab7b-696c295ddfd1_story.html

C.J. Brown is both the face of Maryland football, and the face of overcoming adversity

C.J. Brown was just another intern at Under Armour’s Baltimore offices this summer, a 22-year-old college kid in charge of flow charts and statistic reports at the apparel giant.

In the past three months, he met with representatives from Nike, Adidas and Patagonia as part of the supply operations team, preparing metrics research on the competitors. Last week, he helped present a final project to Under Armour executives, making suggestions on how the company might grow.

“I’m treated like a regular teammate. It’s what they call their employees,” Brown said.

It was one last chance for Brown to perform under pressure before the job ended, to unveil a body of work, and it wasn’t all that different from what he faces on the football field as Maryland’s quarterback this fall. The season will be a final presentation of sorts for Brown, a sixth-year quarterback who has been through a mental and physical ringer. He has witnessed seismic shifts within the Terrapins’ football program, too, maybe more than anyone else — and he hopes that kind of life experience will give him the juice to begin a special final season when training camp opens Monday.

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-ten-coaches-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-2014

Big Ten Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2014 

Maryland

Opposing coaches size up the Terrapins:

An explosive team that has tools at positions that can and should make a significant impact for them.” …

“Their issues are the best players are not all the time available or healthy. It was a scouting report factor to look at. They’ve had on and off the field issues with players leaving, which does not help.” …

“Stefon Diggs is as good as any skill player in the country. He is as good as advertised.” …

“Randy Edsall, despite what some say, is a good coach.” …

“Another important factor: Will recruiting hold up and can they keep the best players in state? That remains to be seen.” …

“Penn State with James Franklin will make things interesting along the 95 corridor and the beltway.”…

“The linebackers and the secondary groups were the best.” …

“Their quarterback, C.J. Brown, was a pretty good player. He is impressive.” …

“Mike Locksley is a really good football coach, their offensive coordinator.” …

“Their special teams are well coached schematically, that’s one thing we were impressed with.” …

“They aren’t overly impressive on the offensive and defensive lines. Just normal there. Nobody stood out.” …

“They didn’t have a really big time player except the quarterback when we played them. He was the best player on the team I thought.”…

First day of practice:

Coach Edsall says that he'd like to see a RB step up & claim the starting roll #Terps

Says RB, LG & TE are the positions that are most up for grabs. Says TE Isaacs & Hayward had really good summers #Terps

Steven Ulrich @Steve_theU

· Freshmen I'm trying to pay closer attn to: Damian Prince, Jesse Aniebonam, JaWuann Winfree & Will Ulmer #Terps

Steven Ulrich @Steve_theU Very curious to see RB Wes Brown in action. He definitely stayed in shape...dude is huge #Terps

Freshman LB Jesse Aniebonam is really quick off the ball. Gets coaches praise #Terps

Steven Ulrich @Steve_theU · Just absolutely insane the depth at WR...easy to forget guys like Culmer & Etta Tawo are just sophomores #Terps

Steven Ulrich @Steve_theU · Welcome back Marcus Leak...running really crisp routes #Terps

Steven Ulrich @Steve_theU · Freshmen WR's Winfree & T. Jacobs with a couple of drops. McCardell not happy with the young'ns #Terps

QB Rowe clearly has the best arm amongst the QB's - just connected with WR Winfree deep #Terps

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/Top-Terps-Target-Robinson-Trims-List-30064873

Top Terps Target Robinson Trims List

St. James (Md.) point guard Justin Robinson has trimmed his school list to six, he announced on Twitter.

In no specific order, Robinson listed UNLV, Maryland, Virginia Tech, Temple, Creighton and Providence as his final six schools. The 6-foot-1 rising senior, rated the No. 22 point guard in the Class of 2015, is among Mark Turgeon's top targets in the Class of 2015.

He recently told IMS he sees opportunity at Maryland.

"Playing time, there's only one [point] guard and that's Melo [Trimble]," he said. "So it would be a good look to go in and play alongside him or coming off the bench."