Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

When does basketball season start?  Terps are going to win the Big Ten tournament and make it to the Elite 8.

I want to see Jared Nickens step up his game.  Cekovsky too.  I think Dodd will surprise some people with his inside presence.

I don't even really care about any other sports frankly, other than NFL and MLB. 

MLB season is too damn long.

Click to read the rest

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/Spanish-Forward-Joshua-Tomaic-Commits-to-Maryland-45588082

Spanish Forward Joshua Tomaic Commits to Maryland

Maryland has added its fifth and final member of its 2016 recruiting class. Joshua Tomaic, a 6-foot-9 forward from the Canarias Basketball Academy in Spain, announced his plans to commit and sign his letter of intent on Wednesday via a school press release.

“I’m very extremely happy because I can make my dream come true," Tomaic said in a release put out by CBA. "My family and I are very thankful with (head coach) Rob Orellana and all the CBA coaches; they gave me the great opportunity to be part of the Academy. I have worked so much and I have lived two hard years, but it doesn´t matter now because I´m going to be playing in the states. I think that Canarias Basketball Academy is the best place in the world to make your dreams come true and to achieve your goals".

Tomaic is the second player from the Academy to sign with Maryland, joining junior center Michal Cekovsky. He's a highly-skilled forward prospect who can play both on the perimeter and in the paint. He's a strong ball handler for his size with a decent shooting stroke and a good feel for the game. While not the most explosive athlete, he's a solid rebounder and finisher with a good nose for the ball. He's far from a finished product and could develop into a starter down the road.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Sounds like the UMD will be booking a 100k scholarly vacation trip through the Canarias Travel Agency some time in the next year. The Canarias Travel Agency just so happens to be owned by the same guy who runs Promo Sports, a recruiting company. Basically CBA provides your team with a foreign player under CBA influence and in return, your college pays for a vacation package. 

I was reading about this CBA pay-to-play scheme in SI a few months ago. None of the players have really panned out to be anything spectacular, some solid players though.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/03/09/foreign-tours-recruiting-canarias-academy-minnesota-seton-hall 

edit - I didnt know Cekovsky was also a CBA. When reading the article I was hoping the terps would get involved before the loop hole is closed. Didnt know we are a two time customer.

Edited by Why am I Mr. Pink?

Sounds like the UMD will be booking a 100k scholarly vacation trip through the Canarias Travel Agency some time in the next year. The Canarias Travel Agency just so happens to be owned by the same guy who runs Promo Sports, a recruiting company. Basically CBA provides your team with a foreign player under CBA influence and in return, your college pays for a vacation package. 

I was reading about this CBA pay-to-play scheme in SI a few months ago. None of the players have really panned out to be anything spectacular, some solid players though.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/03/09/foreign-tours-recruiting-canarias-academy-minnesota-seton-hall 

edit - I didnt know Cekovsky was also a CBA. When reading the article I was hoping the terps would get involved before the loop hole is closed. Didnt know we are a two time customer.

I hate that arrangement. It's so slimy. It's blatantly paying for players. But I guess the NCAA has not done anything about it yet and a handful of teams take advantage of it so it's not illegal yet. It still feels off-putting to me.   

Edited by lovetoaster
  • Like 1

I hate that arrangement. It's so slimy. It's blatantly paying for players. But I guess the NCAA has not done anything about it yet and a handful of teams take advantage of it so it's not illegal yet. It still feels off-putting to me.   

Everything about recruiting in the NCAA is corrupt.  Not sure why you would plug one hole in the damn in favor of another.  You either revamp the entire NCAA system or live with the realities of the current one.

• Like 1

Everything about recruiting in the NCAA is corrupt.  

That's not true. There are plenty of schools that don't blatantly cheat or resort to shady stuff and do just fine with recruiting. But to your point, there is a whole lot of garbage that goes on out there. The problem is that the NCAA does not have the manpower or the backbone to do anything about a lot of it.

With that said, I am not calling what Maryland is doing here cheating, because the tactic has been out there for a while and the NCAA has not done anything about it.  

From the SI article, 25 or so of the 60 some CBA players have a link to going to a college, then that college paying for a trip. So it is not an every time thing. NCAA allows for 1 trip per 4 years. UMD was not named in the SI article and as a public school, their records are subject to disclosure. But I imagine we book a trip some time in the next year or so.  

Technically, a CBA's players decision of what school to choose is independent of any school's decision of whom to book a trip through. 2 independent actions. Also, the trips appear to actually happen. There is value in the trip. The plane tickets, hotel rooms, tour guides, etc. Its not just an on-paper transaction.

It does seem sleezy though. At the same time, CBA takes time and money finding and developing these young guys who would otherwise not be given a wonderful opportunity to study and play ball in the US. Without CBA, I imagine most of these guys would not be able to make an international team roster. 

I dont see a victim in this. I imagine when a Lebron-esque CBA talent becomes available, we might see some serious bidding. 

And I don't have a problem with the school, I have a problem with the travel company attached to the school. It's a setup to essentially launder money to get players. Is the point to get these kids schooling (hahahahahaha) and develop them from a basketball perspective, or to make tons of cash?

It just feels like the same thing as the shady basketball factories that are routinely set up and shut down and lose accreditation here in the U.S. that were only there to make money off of talented kids. I guess the rules are a little more fuzzy and it is not as easy to monitor a place like that when it is in Spain instead of a place like Raleigh. 

And by the way, sorry...I read your initial post wrong Mr. Pink. I read that as Maryland had scheduled a trip, instead of you assuming that they will take one. So I should not be looping Maryland in with the other schools like Louisville, NC State and Minnesota that make these travel trips a common thing. But you are right, Maryland will likely end up taking one. Haha.

And its weird that the article link no longer works. 

Edited by lovetoaster

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/Cam-Spence-Transfers-to-St-Johns-45584309

Cam Spence Transfers to St. John's

Maryland's first four-star commit in the 2017 class is returning home for his senior year. Former IMG Academy (Fla.) defensive tackle Cam Spence is transferring to St. John's (D.C.), where he'll team up with fellow four-star commit, quarterback Kasim Hill.

Spence began his career at Gilman School in Baltimore, creating recruiting buzz during a strong sophomore campaign. He moved to  IMG in the months thereafter and was joined by a pair of local natives in four-star linebacker Jordan Anthony and five-star defensive end Joshua Kaindoh, also a Maryland commitment. 

Spence, who committed to Maryland over offers from Penn State, Ohio State and numerous other major programs, joins a St. John's program full of Maryland recruiting targets. In addition to their future quarterback, the Cadets; roster also includes three-star linebacker/defensive end Tyree Johnson, 2017 wideout Ed Lee and 2019 linebacker Shane Lee, among others. With the addition of the 6-foot-4, 300-pound Spence, the Cadets add another piece to their efforts to dethrone DeMatha from the top of the Washington Catholic Athletic Conference.

Excited for these two to be honored tonight! #TewaaratonTerps

Cj-_qONWkAYEtkx.jpg

Turge and Buck. #FearTheTurtle | #Birdland

Cj-6Q0rUoAAcput.jpg

STRIKE! @BrendaFrese and @CoachTurgeon toss the first ceremonial pitch at tonight's @Orioles game! #FearTheTurtle

Cj-7vXhWYAE0fBe.jpg

It's a three-peat! Congrats to @Tewaaraton winner Taylor Cummings! #FearTheTaylor #TewaaratonTerps

Cj_bMbZW0AEWASP.jpg

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/Florida-Receiver-MJ-Jarrell-Commits-to-Terps-45614051

Florida Receiver M.J. Jarrell Commits to Terps

Maryland's recruiting run in Florida continued tonight, when Orlando receiver M.J. Jarrell committed to the Terps.

Jarrell is rated the No. 189 receiver in the country, but his offer list tells a different story. Virginia Tech and South Carolina recently offered, while Alabama, Georgia and others were eyeing the 6-foot-2, 183 pound rising senior. Duke, Louisville, N.C. State and Pitt were also among the 25 schools to offer Jarrell, Maryland's 10th verbal commitment and third wide receiver commit. With Jarrell and Georgia wideouts Sean Nelson and Carlos Carriere on board, the Terps will likely focus on rounding out the position with Virginia four-star Tahj Capehart.

He's the third player from a Florida high school to commit to Maryland, whose new staff closed last year's recruiting class with a run of recruits from the Sunshine State.

With Jarrell's commitment, Maryland's football's recruiting class moves up two spots to No. 11 in the 247Sports composite rankings.

Click to read the rest

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/Maryland-SG-Dion-Wiley-Set-to-Participate-in-Summer-Workouts-45663206

Maryland SG Dion Wiley Set to Participate in Summer Workouts

Maryland shooting guard Dion Wiley is ready to return to action. Wiley, who tore his meniscus last November and missed the entire 2015-16 season, was cleared to resume basketball workouts three weeks ago, and has now been given the greenlight to participate in team workouts this week, per a report from CBSSports’ Jon Rothstein.

Last month, it looked like Wiley -- a former top-60 recruit -- would have a lot of pressure on him to come back healthy and pick up where he left off last summer, when sources said he looked prime to make a major leap following an up-and-down freshman season. But now, with Melo Trimble back and forwards Justin Jackson and Joshua Tomaic also on board -- giving Mark Turgeon 13 scholarship players for the first time since taking the Terps’ job -- he should be able to return to form at his own speed. With freshmen guards Kevin Huerter and Anthony Cowan also now in the mix, Turgeon figures to have a lot of options in the backcourt and could deploy a number of different looks.

Wiley’s knee injury right before the season began last year not only affected the backcourt depth, but also lineup flexibility at all positions, giving Turgeon no choice but to play bigger lineups longer than he may have liked to. After finding success with smaller lineups during Wiley’s freshman year, Maryland’s first year back in the NCAA Tournament since 2010, Turgeon has already said he envisions using similar looks this year, which could mean using Wiley at small forward for stretches alongside any combination of Trimble, Cowan, Huerter and Jaylen Brantley in the backcourt.

• Like 2

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/Huerter-Makes-the-Cut-45835801

Huerter Makes the Cut

Incoming Maryland freshman Kevin Huerter is one of 18 players to be named finalists for the USA Basketball under-18 team, the program announced Thursday on Twitter.

The 6-foot-6 guard from Clifton Park, N.Y., survived the six-player cut after impressing during the first two days of the team's camp this week in Colorado Springs. The team will practice there through Saturday and convene again for a training camp in Houston from July 11-15 after which the final roster will be announced.  Huerter, named New York's Mr. Basketball last season -- and made into the logo of his high school team -- is expected to play a significant role for Maryland as a freshman this winter.

Maryland coach Mark Turgeon is an assistant on the team, which also includes highly regarded Terps targets M.J. Walker and Kris Wilkes. The games begin July 19 in Valdivia, Chile

DMV football players..Lebron's emotions exemplify what it's like to play for and win for your home town..#TheMovement

in all seriousness, you see how much that ship meant to lebron, since he put on for his city.... can be the same way at UMD, just saying 1f422.png1f422.png

Would be a surreal feeling when @TerpsFootball wins that College Football Natty 1f3c6.png down the road #Terps