Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm thinking of getting a motorcycle. Suggestions for a good first bike?

mistertim

It's something I've been wanting to do for a while now and I think I'm going to do it. I figure I will find a good course around the DMV area that I can take. I'm trying to figure out what a good first bike would be. So far my favorite is the Honda CBR500R...not too much power for a beginner but enough to where I won't need to upgrade in a year. 

I've read/heard that a 600 or above is a bit much for a newbie. Thoughts, experiences from those of you who ride?

I am primarily a cruiser guy, so I am a bit iffy with sportsbikes. I am not against them, but I have short legs and a bum knee (from a motorcycle accident lol) that I find most of them uncomfortable.

What I had explained to me, repeatedly, is that most sports bikes above 600cc have a high powerband/acceleration which can cause new riders to lose control easily, much like a 1500cc+ cruiser. That being said, it also depends on the rider - if you stay within your skill set, use extra caution with the throttle, take a rider course, and practice in a safe place more than you actually think you need then going above the 600cc/1500cc (for cruisers) mark can be ok. Note: Some 600cc bikes are essentially street-legal racers - I would avoid these like the plague.

I have heard good things about the Suzy GS500, Katana 600, and Ninja EX500 if that is the style you are looking at. The Ducati 600 Monster used to have a forgiving powerband, but that has changed in the past few years I think.    

Main thing to look for is peak hp, torque, ergonomics, and weight. A heavier bike can be harder on new riders than one that is lower weight (moving it around corners, parking lots, and so forth), but a lower weight bike with higher HP is more likely to get you in trouble as far as speed. For a new rider, higher torque is usually more of a problem than higher HP since torque primarily determines acceleration rate.

Oh, and don't trust dealers, or at least not much. I once saw a dealer in NoVA that tried putting a new rider on a supersport bike because it was twice the price of the bike the guy was looking at. The buyer's father stepped in and they left without buying either bike.  

Edit:

If you are open to cruisers, you can also check out the Harley Sportster 883, The Yamaha Bolt (essentially an 883 with a lower center of gravity), V-Star 650, or Honda Spirit. The 883 and Bolt will probably take longer to "outgrow", if ever depending on how you ride (around town or highway, that sort of thing). The V-Star is a great beginners bike, but after 6 months I was looking for something a bit bigger. If you are a big guy, you can take a look at the 1100-1300cc range as size can help mitigate bike weight while learning, but I would not recommend it. If you do, I would avoid the Honda 1300-based bikes (like the fury or interstate). Excellent engines, but their build quality is crap in my opinion.

Ninja 250, CBR250, CBR 500, SV650, Ninja 650.  Pick the one that you feel most comftorable on.  You will NOT outgrow a 250 in a year in regards to the bikes capabilities, but you WILL be a faster learner on bikes with smaller engines.  You will naturually learn to ride the piss out of a 250 because the power is MUCH more accesible on the street, the bike is very light and will handle very well.  You will learn to get everything out of the bike that you can and in the long run it will greatly benefit you when you transfer to a bigger bike.

Plenty of guys startout on 600RR (race ready, these bikes are built for the track) or bigger bikes and they manage,  but plenty of guys do the same thing and are killed due to their inexperience on a bike not designed for a noob.  Either way starting on a smaller bike can only benefit you in the long run, regardless of who you are.  You just have to get over your pride/ego/friends that tell you the bike isn't "fast enough".

Any of those bikes I mentioned can easily be found used, and they can easily be sold in a year or two for likely the same price or close to what you bought it for.  They hold their value well.  They will also be MUCH easier and less expensive to fix when you innevitably crash or drop the bike.  Parts come cheaper.

If you are driving primarily in the city and the occasional twisties or track days, the 250 is perfect to start on.  If you know you will spend a LOT of time commuting on highways, the 500 or 650 bikes might suit you better.  You could spend the rest of your life riding and not outgrow the SV 650, it's a great all-around bike that has a cult following and endless aftermarket options.

If you can't take the MSF class with one of the local Community colleges, try taking it through APEX.  NOVA books up quickly but Apex can usually get you in a class in a reasonable ammount of time.

Craigslist and DCSportbikes.net in the Buy/Sell section are good places to look for a used bike.  If you just want to sit on a bunch of bikes and get the feel for something you might like try coleman powersports in Falls Church.

Great suggestions from the two previous posters.

I would throw a Yamaha FZ6R in the mix as well. If you are into sportsbikes.

I do believe that a used bike for a newby is the best option, unless you want a bike that you are planning to keep for a substancial duration.

My first bike was a 1984 Honda Interceptor VF500. It was a great bike for me to learn to really ride on. I wouldn't suggest you go that used however. haha.

Enjoy your search, be safe and aware. Drivers can be oblivious sometimes.

Also, If you aren't completely set on a sportbike I must recomend starting on a Super Moto

DRZ400sm

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg257/myprendgarrett/DSC_0068.jpg

Yamaha WR250X

http://www.kacandolli.com/yamaha_new/images/produkte/motorra/STREET/WR250X/2012-Yamaha-WR250FRX-EU-Yamaha-Black-Action-001.jpg

you WILL have WAY MORE fun on any supermoto than any comparable sportsbike in terms of power. 

-Comftorable.  It's a MUCH better riding position than a sportsbike.

-Drop it?  Who cares? it's more or less a dirtbike.  If you bend the bars they are $20ish to replace (vs $120 to replace my Monster's Handle bar)

-You aren't limited to roads.

-Wheelies and stoppies for days, I'm not saying you should, but you do need to know that these things were built to do stupid **** on.

Edit: Anyone know why I can't embed pictures on this forum anymore?  the [img.][/img.] tags wont work anymore

I agree with the above about buying used. There is an old saying: "There are two types of riders: those who have dropped their bikes, and those that will drop their bikes"

In your first few years of riding, chances are high that at some point you will forget the kickstand, lock the rear brake, misjudge a curve, and so forth. I went three years before my accident. My wife went 24 hours. It happens, and it is much less painful (at least as far as the bike) to repair or replace a used bike that cost you $2500 than a new one that cost you $6500+. Plus, the insurance will be less.

Precisely, AdamB.

It's going to happen at some point. I was just a kid when I got that bike in '86 and dropped it right in the driveway. Stupid kickstand. haha.

Edit: Much more fortunate than my brother who dropped his on the highway during rush hour of all things.

He slid and had to have surgery on his hand and the bike. His wife said he was lucky because of his size that it wasn't much worse.

Here in El Paso, there are a lot of roads with very wide shoulders. As a result, drivers use them to pass and buses use them as pull offs when picking up passengers.

In my case, a bus started to pull out in front of me, so I slowed down. The bus then stopped, and I assumed it was so I could pass. I sped back up and was about to pass when it decided to continue pulling out. I put too much pressure on the back wheel, locked the brake, and down I went going 40 mph....on a two lane road...during rush hour. I rolled however many yards while my bike slid off to the side of the road. Got up, threw my helmet at a telephone post (I was a bit pissed), heaved my bike up onto its stand, and sat down...and could not get up again. Severely sprained knee, staples in my elbow, and nice case of road rash. The bike? 125.00 in damage (bent the engine guard).  

I agree with the above about buying used. There is an old saying: "There are two types of riders: those who have dropped their bikes, and those that will drop their bikes"

In your first few years of riding, chances are high that at some point you will forget the kickstand, lock the rear brake, misjudge a curve, and so forth. I went three years before my accident. My wife went 24 hours. It happens, and it is much less painful (at least as far as the bike) to repair or replace a used bike that cost you $2500 than a new one that cost you $6500+. Plus, the insurance will be less.

Dude, I don't even own a motorcycle, but I laid down my friend's motor scooter up at deep creek lake after riding it about 10 minutes...  Total time on motorized bikes/scooters in my life: about 1 hour.  Not good ratio for me.

Take a safety weekend riding course.  It will give you a discount on insurance and teach you not to look down when turning.  500 cc range is a good start.  after a while the bike will be too small though.  I had a honda shadow vlx 600, then I bought an interceptor 800 cc.  I freakin' loved that bike.

My roommate at the time got rear-ended at a stop light by an old dude who wasn't paying attention.  it threw him pretty far and he landed on his backpack and didn't get hurt.  He had what was left of the bike brought to the house.  It spooked me so much I sold my interceptor the next week.

Looking back I should have kept the bike.  I don't have a bike now, I have two kids.

I was the opposite of you Beygo - after my accident, I pestered my doctor on how long it would be before I was cleared to ride again, keeping in mind that I could not walk without my knee going out for 2 months afterwards. As much as I loathed that bike, I wish I still had it (it was stolen a couple of years ago). We keep talking about getting me a new one, but there are other financial investments (house, etc) that come first.

My wife had just finished her MSF course and was on the road for the first time. She misjudged a turn and ended up in a ditch along the side of the road in Fairfax, VA. Bike was fine, she broke her ankle when it fell on her...and that was the last time she ever rode a motorcycle.

I've always wanted a motorcycle but the fact that it's pretty much a guarantee every driver puts it down at some point makes me realize it probably just isn't for me.

I love my wife too much to face laying it down on the road or breaking legs and bones and putting my wife through that situation or my potential surgery.

Plus I wouldn't want to go through that anyway.

The Rebel, the GZ250, the Star 250 (I am assuming - its a newer model but Yamaha makes good cruisers), and the Ninja 250 are all great bikes for new riders or for those just bopping around campus, quick trips to the store, etc. My brother-in-law had a Ninja 250 that he loved despite having years of riding experience (it became a Naked Ninja 250 after he nailed a dear at 45mph). The main issue with them is that they can be uncomfortable for bigger riders and most riders will outgrow them fairly quickly. On the plus side they are cheap, they hold their relative value, and finding one used is usually not a problem.

Archived