Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: Ukraine sanctions imposed amid Kiev clashes

visionary

Re: Putin questioning the legality of Ukraine's exit from the USSR...

Why does that matter between two former members of the USSR? Unless I don't understand how things unfolded (which is possible), the USSR never = Russia. Russia was a part of the USSR just like Ukraine. So, does Russia as an independent state have any leg to stand on when it comes to questioning how another independent state left a union of states?

Again, maybe I'm missing something.

Yeah, this would be like Virginia questioning the legality of West Virginia's exit from the Confederate States.

Re: Putin questioning the legality of Ukraine's exit from the USSR...

Why does that matter between two former members of the USSR? Unless I don't understand how things unfolded (which is possible), the USSR never = Russia. Russia was a part of the USSR just like Ukraine. So, does Russia as an independent state have any leg to stand on when it comes to questioning how another independent state left a union of states?

Again, maybe I'm missing something. 

I remember exactly how Russia left the Soviet Union.   Boris Yeltson gave orders to the electric company to cut the lights off to the Kremlin and Gorbechev's office.   Subsequently people in the offices of the Soviet Union stop showing up for work.

As for your logical argument..  I'm not sure Putin subscribes to the same nuances of logic you are employing.   I think he does equate his Russia with the Soviet Union.    And questioning the "legality" of Ukraine's exit from the USSR is absolutely a threat against Ukraine.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26531310?ocid=socialflow_twitter

Ukraine crisis: Russians opposed to Putin

In an emotional speech in Kiev on Sunday, former Russian oil tycoon Mikhail Khodorkovsky - recently released from 10 years in jail - told the Maidan "there is another Russia", one opposed to military action in Ukraine. Russian writer and broadcaster Andrei Ostalski agrees but says it's a small and embattled community.

On 2 March, one day after the Upper Chamber of the Russian parliament passed a motion allowing President Putin to use Russia's armed forces anywhere on Ukrainian territory, a Muscovite decided to stage a one-man protest. He knew it was a rather risky affair as the streets were full of "patriotically" minded people rejoicing and celebrating the prospect of a quick victorious war against their neighbour.

Nevertheless, Alexei Sokirko found a place on the pavement on Nikolskaya Street and unfolded his "Stop the war" banner.

Russian law allows one-man pickets to be staged without prior permission or advance notification so the police didn't do anything at first. In fact, they didn't need to as Alexei immediately started getting harassed by angry passers-by. To begin with they called him "fascist" and "scum". Then a woman spat at him. A few men started threatening him, and finally one of them snatched the banner from his hands and tore it up.

A scuffle followed - that was when the police intervened to arrest Alexei for violating public order. It was probably just as well, as he could have been seriously beaten. A woman then offered to fabricate a more serious charge against him. "I can testify that he was beating up a child," she suggested, enthusiastically. The policemen decided not to take her up on it.

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/03/after-crimea-sweden-flirts-with-joining-nato/284362/

After Crimea, Sweden Flirts With Joining NATO

It's a good time to have friends in Eastern Europe.

Leaders in the region, who have reacted to Russia's occupation of Crimea by expressing fears that they could be next, are now taking solace in their alliances. "Thanks be to God, we are NATO members," exclaimed Lithuanian President Dalia Grybauskaite last week. This month, Norway is hosting 16,000 NATO soldiers for previously planned cold-weather training exercises on the Russian border, much to the Russians' displeasure. Among those participating in Operation Cold Response are 1,400 Swedish troops under the Nordic nation's limited partnership with the alliance.

Non-aligned since the early 19th century, Sweden's "splendid isolation" has endured two world wars and even the five-decade superpower slugfest that dominated the late 20th century. That could change, however, in the wake of Russia's intervention in Ukraine. Last week, Swedish Finance Minister Anders Borg indicated that the defense budget, to which he had recently announced cuts, would be increased as a result of the crisis. Deputy Prime Minister Jan Björklund also publicly floated the idea of Swedish membership in NATO, warning that Russia could attempt to seize Gotland, a strategically located Swedish island province in the Baltic Sea, if it chose to attack the Baltic states of Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania. Sverker Göransson, the supreme commander of Sweden's military, has rejected Björklund's call for a change to the country's defense doctrine.

Gotland, the largest island in the Baltic Sea, is roughly 56 miles off the Swedish coast and only 155 miles from Kaliningrad, a major Russian exclave in Europe with a large military base. The island's position in the south Baltic gives it immense strategic value if a conflict were to break out in the Baltic Sea. "Today's modern air missiles and anti-ship missiles can hit targets in the order of 300-400 kilometers," wrote Karlis Neretnieks, a retired Swedish major general, for the Royal Swedish Academy of War Sciences last week. "Anyone who can group such systems on Gotland will be able to make it very difficult for an opponent to operate on and in the Baltic Sea. From Bornholm in the south to the Åland Islands in the north, from the Swedish mainland in the west to the Baltic states to the east."

http://money.msn.com/business-news/article.aspx?feed=OBR&date=20140312&id=17428711

U.S. surprises oil market with sale from strategic reserve

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States will hold the first test sale of crude from its emergency oil stockpile since 1990, offering a modest 5 million barrels in what some observers saw as a subtle message to Russia from the Obama administration.

http://money.msn.com/business-news/article.aspx?feed=OBR&date=20140312&id=17428711

U.S. surprises oil market with sale from strategic reserve

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States will hold the first test sale of crude from its emergency oil stockpile since 1990, offering a modest 5 million barrels in what some observers saw as a subtle message to Russia from the Obama administration.

Yeah a strategic reserve seems less important today now that we are a net exporter of oil again... and the worlds largest producer of natural gas. Let's sell some of that oil, make some coin, and see if we can't hit Russia under the belt as she's reeling from all the other economic pressure she's up against.

You know Russia is buying shares on her stock market to try to boyee her foreign capital markets... You know she's also buying rubles to try to keep her currency afloat.. Hit Putin in the oil chops!!... and let's get that natural gas exporting facilities online too.

Natural Gas in the United States sells for 25% of what Russia is charging Europe.... If we can build the export facilities two good things are going to happen and one bad thing..

Good things..

#1 Europe is going to pay a lot less for natural gas.

#2 Russia is going to make a lot less for selling natural gas.

Bad thing..

We are going to pay a lot more for natural gas.

Administration officials have concluded that they have the means through sanctions to badly damage the Russian economy, and some officials think they should use that power sooner rather than later if President Vladimir V. Putin refuses to surrender control of Crimea and proceeds to annex it.

This comes from your NYTimes source... NYTimes is the gold standard for sources, but I wonder if this is true. If we don't act in concert with our allies I wonder if we can seriously impact Russia's economy.

I started off pretty optimistic, but as time goes on I'm wondering if even we have the will to act alone devoid of support from our allies. We don't really elect leaders anymore.. we elect managers. To use our economic pressure against Putin with such intensity to get him contemplate moving out of Crimea would mean our leaders would have to put up with a lot of squealing.. not only from Russia, but from our NATO allies who's economies are so tightly tied to Russia's they won't join us in our efforts on behalf of Ukraine...

I don't think we have the stones.

Pointing out that it's his job to be.

I think Kerry's job is to use language to color the facts in the best possible light for the United States position.

“There will be a response of some kind to the referendum itself,” Kerry said. “If there is no sign [from Russia] of any capacity to respond to this issue ... there will be a very serious series of steps on Monday.”

“I've been impressed on how united our European allies are on this… to a person, to a country, they are very, very committed to make sure there is accountability,”

It seems to me if the latter were true, he could be more specific about the former. I'm not saying Kerry won't be able to pull this off, but I'm hearing Europe doesn't have the stones, and I'm not all that sure we do either.

We will know for sure when on Monday they announce the "very serious series of steps". They will have to be much more serious than what we've heard so far if they are to actually hold Russia accountable, or hope to reverse the situation on the ground.

You seem to be assuming that the Russians will go ahead with their "referendum". And that we both know what the results will be.

(I'm assuming the same things).

Did you hear the election results in North Korea yesterday... 100% of the people voted resulting in Kim Jong Un receiving 100% of the vote.

Kim Jong Un Elected Unanimously: Dictator Wins In Unopposed Vote

PYONGYANG, North Korea (AP) — With no one else on the ballot, state media reported Monday that supreme leader Kim Jong Un was not only elected to the highest legislative body in North Korea, he won with the unanimous approval of his district, which had 100 percent turnout.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/10/kim-jong-un-elected-unanimously_n_4932661.html

Figure the referendum on Crimea will look something like that....

I guess an alternative view, since Putin's Russia is actually incapable of holding an unbiased election... The referendum could be Putin's way of backing down. If they rig it and it calls for greater autonomy in Ukraine, then that might be an excuse for Putin to pull out... And Kery doesn't want to publicize the stick to make it harder for Putin to do the right thing.

Only that scenario seems so implausible it's hard for me to even consider it.

At least one death and many injuries in Ukraine today after pro-Russian violence in Donstk that targeted both pro-Ukraine protesters and foreign journalists.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/maxseddon/russia-wipes-opposition-sites-from-the-internet

Russia Wipes Opposition Sites From The Internet

Russia has all but eliminated the free media as it fights an information war against the West over Ukraine, with prosecutors blocking independent websites and other publications making editorial changes under obvious Kremlin pressure.

Russia’s general prosecutor’s office announced late Thursday that it was blocking the independent news websites Kasparov.ru, run by chess champion and self-exiled opposition figure Garry Kasparov, EJ.ru, and Grani. ru for inciting “illegal activity” and participating in unsanctioned protests. Prosecutors also banned anti-corruption activist Alexey Navalny’s blog, by far the country’s most popular and a flashpoint for anti-Putin sentiment, on the grounds that posting to it violated the terms of his house arrest, which bars him from using the internet.

“I don’t even know if anyone is reading this anymore,” read a post on Navalny’s blog. The post said Navalny’s wife, Yulia Navalnaya, and his Foundation for Fighting Corruption have been running the blog since Navalny’s bail was revoked Feb. 28. Numerous Twitter users reported that LiveJournal, the service hosting Navalny’s blog, and the Ekho Moskvy radio website, which reposted it, were entirely unavailable on some internet providers, though Russia’s internet registry said they had not been banned.

Russia passed a law late last year allowing prosecutors to ban websites that promote “rioting, racial hatred, or extremism” without a court order. The law also covers websites with foreign servers, which will be banned in Russia if their owner ignores a cease and desist letter. According to a list published by internet freedom activists, the only other websites to be banned under the law promote Islamic radicalism or white supremacism.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/14/world/europe/ukraine.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0&gwh=F00FE31BC2417B7C7A8D06C8E3C46DBD&gwt=pay

Kremlin Massing Armed Forces Near Eastern Ukraine

Russia’s military on Thursday announced military operations in regions abutting eastern Ukraine, where many ethnic Russians have opposed the new leadership in Ukraine’s capital, Kiev.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/03/13/uk-ukraine-idUKBREA1H0EM20140313

Russia holds war games near Ukraine; Merkel warns of catastrophe

Russia launched new military exercises near its border with Ukraine on Thursday, showing no sign of backing down on plans to annex its neighbour's Crimea region despite a stronger than expected drive for sanctions from the EU and United States.

In an unusually robust and emotional speech, German Chancellor Angela Merkel warned of "catastrophe" unless Russia changes course, while in Ukraine a man died in fighting between rival protesters in a mainly Russian-speaking city.

In Berlin, Merkel removed any suspicion that she might try to avoid a confrontation with Russian President Vladimir Putin,

"We would not only see it, also as neighbours of Russia, as a threat. And it would not only change the European Union's relationship with Russia," she told parliament. "No, this would also cause massive damage to Russia, economically and politically."

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said serious steps would be imposed on Monday by the United States and Europe if a referendum on Crimea joining Russia takes place on Sunday as planned.

Merkel, a fluent Russian speaker who grew up in Communist East Germany, has emerged in recent days as a leading figure in threatening tough measures against Moscow.

Her foreign minister, Frank-Walter Steinmeier, said European states would draw up a list over the weekend of Russians who will face visa restrictions and asset freezes.

https://twitter.com/mchancecnn

Rival protests in Donetsk turning ugly. Hundreds of riot police deployed to keep pro Russian and pro Ukrainian side apart

12:53 PM

Eggs, smoke grenades, firecrackers being thrown by pro Russian side towards pro ukraine side.  

12:55 PM

cnn cameraman gets hit with an egg thrown by pro russia protestor Donetsk. Not cool. He is Italian. 

12:57 PM

https://twitter.com/myroslavapetsa

In Donetsk, pro-Russian thugs attacked pro-Ukrainian demonstrators. 1 killed, 10 hospitalized. Pic via @euromaidan pic.twitter.com/RW6PyftLOJ

3:46 PM

BioboZmCUAAN_ET.jpg

https://twitter.com/RichardEngel

Detained by pro russian militia in crimea. Questioned for an hour or so. Not allowed to move or phone. Then released.

2:03 PM

We took the train to avoid militia checkpoints. Theyre now also at train stations in crimea. 

2:05 PM

militiamen first told us we'd be deported "back to ukraine". Eventually we talked them out of it. they let us go.

2:41 PM

Detained at dzhankoy train station. Didn't even get off train. They were waiting on platform.

2:59 PM

The militiamen stopped the entire train for an hour. None of the other passengers dared to complain. crimea

3:11 PM

https://twitter.com/shustry

Bizarro world. Russian TV reports Donetsk clashes provoked by busloads of provocateurs from Kiev carrying "syringes with unknown substance." 

5:08 PM

Russian state TV anchor: "American mercenaries are also fighting the information war in Ukraine, just like the snipers on Maidan."

5:19 PM

https://twitter.com/ARothNYT

More Donetsk: 22-year old male died of knife wounds, 17 to medics, 2 released, 2 to trauma ward, 11 to hospital. Leaves one unaccounted for 

4:20 PM

Blood was from head wound, pro-Maidan protestor was unconscious. He lay there for several minutes, no ambulance came. pic.twitter.com/0vj70mDiFu

4:29 PM

Passions, particularly pro-Russian, unleashed here are awful. Crimea also Donetsk become ethnic/language/econ battlegrounds that suit Russia 

5:06 PM

On claims by Russian media that pro-Maidan crowd provoked this: flatly, simply not true. A lie. 

5:25 PM

This was considered the fun part of the rally in Donetsk. 3 dead now. http://moby.to/gqaq0t 
7:00 PM

Can't finish one interview in Donetsk hospital waiting room w/o new person jumping in to describe violence from pro-Russia protesters 2night 

5:04 PM

Injured guy from last photo not a protester. "I was just watching from McDonald's, and somebody attacked me."

5:09 PM

From Donetsk: "We screamed 'We are for peace!' And they screamed 'Putin! Russia!'" pic.twitter.com/wzNeQmeRuG

5:21 PM

In Donetsk, some worry Russia will use violence like tonight's as an excuse to send troops. Even though it was initiated by pro-Russia side.

5:30 PM

Constant refrain from pro-Ukraine crowd at hospital in Donetsk: police just stood and watched the attack. We're on our own.

5:46 PM

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/2014/03/russia-vows-veto-us-draft-ukraine-at-un-201431435759898376.html

Russia vows to veto US draft on Ukraine at UN

The US has circulated a draft resolution to the UN Security Council that would declare Sunday's planned referendum on independence for Ukraine's Crimea region illegal but Russia has pledged to veto it, council diplomats said on Thursday.

Diplomats said the one-page resolution would urge countries not to recognise the results of the vote in pro-Russian Crimea, whose parliament has already voted to join Russia.

Samantha Power, US ambassador to the UN, said after a meeting of the 15-member Security Council that the resolution was aimed at changing Russian calculations "before innocent lives are lost".

Speaking in the council, she said the resolution would "endorse a peaceful solution to the Ukraine crisis based on international law and [the Security] Council's mandate to act, when necessary, to ensure global security and peace".

Power described the planned referendum, which is expected to overwhelmingly back Crimea's unification with Russia, as "hastily planned, unjustified and divisive" and a violation of Ukrainian sovereignty.

She said time was running out for a peaceful solution to the crisis, and she urged Russia to listen to the "remarkably unified" voices of 14 members of the Security Council and the Ukrainian people.

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/03/13/former-u-s-ambassador-confronts-russian-networks-editors-over-reporting-on-crimea/?smid=tw-thelede&seid=auto&gwh=B7A23DBF1E6823C897DA8028682ECE92&gwt=pay

Former U.S. Ambassador Confronts Russian Network's Editors Over

Michael McFaul, the former United States ambassador to Russia, told the editor of the Russian government’s overseas broadcast network Russia Today, that he refused to keep “pretending that RT is a...

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ukraine-crisis/ex-envoy-not-very-optimistic-russian-pullback-crimea-n51106

Ex-Envoy 'Not Very Optimistic' on Russian Pullback in Crimea

t’s worth trying to forge a deal to get Russian President Vladimir Putin to reverse his invasion of Ukraine, but it probably won’t work, the recently departed U.S. ambassador to Russia said Wednesday.

Ambassador Michael McFaul, who left the job just last month, said the world must focus on keeping Putin in check in years to come. Sanctions are unlikely to persuade him to pull his troops back in Ukraine’s Crimean peninsula anytime soon, he said.

“I’m not very optimistic that the West has those instruments available at this time,” he said. “Tragically.”

McFaul did lay out a longshot plan that might save face for the Russian leader and be acceptable to the fledging government in Ukraine, where pro-Russian President Viktor Yanukovych was ousted in February.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rosiegray/how-the-truth-is-made-at-russia-today

How The Truth Is Made At Russia Today

Staci Bivens knew something was seriously wrong when her bosses at Russia Today asked her to put together a story alleging that Germany — Europe’s economic powerhouse — was a failed state.

“It was me and two managers and they had already discussed what they wanted,” Bivens, an American who worked in RT’s Moscow headquarters from 2009 through 2011, said of a meeting she’d had to discuss the segment before a planned reporting trip to Germany. “They called me in and it was really surreal. One of the managers said, ‘The story is that the West is failing, Germany is a failed state.’”

Bivens, who had spent time in Germany, told the managers the story wasn’t true — the term “failed state” is reserved for countries that fail to provide basic government services, like Somalia or Congo, not for economically advanced, industrialized nations like Germany. They insisted. Bivens refused. RT flew a crew to Germany ahead of Bivens, who was flown in later to do a few standups and interviews about racism in Germany. It was the beginning of the end of her RT career.

“At that point I’d been there for a little bit and I’d had enough of the insanity,” Bivens said. She stayed until the end of her contract in 2011 and didn’t make an effort to renew it.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/03/14/russia-s-war-footing.html

Russia Gets on a War Footing Next to Ukraine

Russia intensified its military buildup on Ukraine's border yesterday, but it’s not clear if Moscow is using the threat of force as leverage in negotiations or preparing for war.

Large columns of Russian tanks, troops and military vehicles massed on Ukraine’s borders yesterday, in what may not be a sign of impending war but is a clear escalation and attempt to shape the country’s future by threat of force.

Russia’s defense ministry, which had earlier denied the military buildup, acknowledged operations along the border but described them as training exercises. Moscow’s invasion and de facto occupation of Crimea, was also preceded by Russian military exercises along the region’s border.

The ramped up militarization along Ukraine’s borders may be a bargaining tool to increase leverage in ongoing negotiations. Moscow’s next move is hard to predict but the meaning of the current escalation has been clear to Ukrainian officials and world leaders—Russia may not initiate a full-scale war but it’s ready to do so if it chooses.

http://en.itar-tass.com/russia/723524

Russian Foreign Ministry: Russia reserves right to protect compatriots in Ukraine

Russia’s Foreign Ministry said on Friday the events in Ukraine proved that Kiev’s authorities were unable to control the situation in the country.

“Russia realizes responsibility for compatriots’ lives in Ukraine and reserves the right to protect these people,” the ministry said.

“Tragic events happened in Donetsk on March 13, 2014. Armed right-wing radical groups attacked peaceful demonstrators, who wanted to express their attitude towards the destructive position of people who named themselves as the Ukrainian authorities. As a result of the clashes, one person died and many people were injured,” the ministry said.

“We said several times that those who came to power in Kiev, should disarm rioters and ensure security of the population and their legal right to assemblies,” the ministry said.

Russia has mastered the art of blaming and accusing others of their own actions and then using it as justification for more.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/14/world/europe/ukraine-crisis/index.html

Lavrov: With no 'common vision' with U.S., Russia will honor Crimea vote

Russia will respect the result of Sunday's referendum in Crimea, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov told reporters Friday after his meeting with U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry.

Lavrov declared that Russia and the West don't share common ground on how to resolve the crisis in Ukraine's Crimean Peninsula.

"Also as to the practical measures which could be taken by foreign partners, we don't have a common vision of the situation," he said.

"There are still differences, but the conversation was definitely useful in order to better understand how we understand each other in the situation and the general context of the wide spectrum of the issues of the Russian-American relations. From this point of view, the negotiations were useful," Lavrov said.

Asked if Kerry threatened sanctions against Russia at their meeting, Lavrov told reporters that Kerry "did not put forward any threats against Russia."

President Barack Obama said Europe and the United States "stand united" on Ukrainian sovereignty and subsequent consequences if that sovereignty is violated.

"We continue to hope there's a diplomatic solution to be found" in Ukraine, Obama told reporters Friday during a meeting with Ireland's prime minister. He made those comments before the Kerry-Lavrov meeting concluded.

Before the talks with Lavrov, Kerry met with UK Prime Minister David Cameron and Foreign Secretary William Hague at 10 Downing St.

"We want to see Ukrainians and the Russians talking to each other. And if they don't, then there are going to have to be consequences," Cameron said.

https://twitter.com/HannahAllam

Kerry arrives for press conf after 5-hr talks w/Russia's Lavrov, who's already said that US, Russia have no 'common vision' for Ukraine

12:32 PM

Kerry:Lavrov & I talked for a good 6 hours. It was constructive bec we 'really dug in' to their perceptions,our perceptions, their narrative

12:34 PM

Kerry: But Lavrov made it clear that Putin is not prepared to make any decision on Ukraine until after referendum. We believe it is illegal   

12:34 PM

Kerry: We're deeply concerned about the lg deployments of Russian forces in Crimea, along eastern borders. Also cross-border 'hooliganism'

12:35 PM

Kerry: All of us who are joined together in the EU, extended contact group understand Russian interests & are prepared to respect them  

12:36 PM

https://twitter.com/HannahAllam

Kerry: But Russia also needs to respect the multilateral structure for solving challenges, guiding our behavior.

12:37 PM

Kerry: The United States stands w/the ppl of Ukraine in their desire to make their own choices....Prez said clearly that's our only interest

12:39 PM

Kerry: One proposal has them withdrawing all troops in Crimea/east border while diplomacy is working. Lavrov taking it to Putin, we'll see.

12:42 PM

Kerry: We believe a decision to move forward, ratify the vote, is the back-door annexation of Crimea.

12:46 PM

Kerry: We hope Putin recognizes none of this is a threat or personal - it's about respect for intl multilateral structure around since WWII 

12:47 PM

it is time for us to have some aircraft carrier group exercises in the aegean.

i am so tired of that steaming turd Putin... and BEFORE this, the russians were *finally* getting tired of him as well.  Has anyone seen if there has been any indications of how Put-put's approval ratings INSIDE Russia have moved since this conflict?    If i had to gues, i would assume that they would spike up temporarily?

I've seen mention that Putin's numbers are at a high now. 

Not sure of the details though and I haven't seen any numbers myself, so I can't be sure.

Found it:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/03/13/we-treat-him-like-hes-mad-but-vladimir-putins-popularity-has-just-hit-a-3-year-high/

We treat him like he’s mad, but Vladimir Putin’s popularity has just hit a 3-year high

As the situation in Crimea grew  increasingly tense over the past few weeks, many in Western Europe and the U.S. began to wonder what exactly Russian President Vladimir Putin was thinking. German Chancellor Angela Merkel reportedly said he was "in another world," while Julia Ioffe of the New Republic wrote that he had "lost it." As Anne Applebaum of The Post tweeted, "we may have reached the weird moment when the dictator believes his own propaganda."

The image was of a man losing his bearings, stumbling blindly into a possible conflict. Perhaps, after 14 years of leading Russia, he had finally gone mad.

Apparently in Russia, the perspective is rather different.

In a poll conducted by the Russian Public Opinion Research Center (VTsIOM) last week, Putin's popularity level in Russia has reached 71.6 percent. That's a 9.7 percent increase since mid-February, which seems quite obviously linked to the Russian president's handling of Ukraine and the Sochi Olympics. As Ria Novosti notes, it means that Putin's popularity levels are now at a three-year high.

You might want to put that down to the fact that the VTsIOM is state-run, but that argument doesn't really hold. The Levada Center, a well-respected independent polling center, has also found that Putin had a 72 percent approval rating, up 7 points from January and a recent record. To put that in context on a world stage, U.S. president Barack Obama is currently at 43 percent, according to Gallup, while 79 percent of the French say they don't approve of Francois Hollande's presidency. Putin isn't just popular, he's extraordinarily popular.

I've seen mention that Putin's numbers are at a high now.

Not sure of the details though and I haven't seen any numbers myself, so I can't be sure

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/03/13/we-treat-him-like-hes-mad-but-vladimir-putins-popularity-has-just-hit-a-3-year-high/

He used the conflict in Ukraine to clamp down on media and flood the airwaves with propaganda.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/03/14/cnn-poll-most-see-russia-as-a-threat-to-u-s/

CNN Poll: Most see Russia as a threat to U.S.

As the crisis in the Ukraine continues, a new national poll indicates that for the first time in more than a decade, more than half of Americans see Russia as a serious threat to the U.S.

A CNN/ORC International survey released Friday also indicates that Russian President Vladimir Putin's unfavorable rating among Americans has soared over the past month. And the poll indicates that the vast majority of the public says Moscow's actions in neighboring Ukraine break international law, and half of those questioned say a new Cold War between the U.S. and Russia is likely.

According to the poll, 69% of Americans say they see Russia as threat to the U.S.

"That's a 25-percentage point increase since 2012 and represents the highest number on that question since the break-up of the Soviet Union," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.

Thirty-one percent now say they don't see Russia as a threat, down from 53% two years ago.

Only 11% of those questioned say they have a positive view of Putin, with 68% saying they see him in a negative way.

http://bnowire.com/inbox/?id=2231

U.S. issues Travel Alert for Russia over Ukraine situation

The Department of State alerts U.S. citizens in Russia to the ongoing tensions in Ukraine and the potential for increased public demonstrations and anti-American actions in Russia in connection with Russian actions in the Crimea. The Department of State also alerts U.S. citizens in Russia to the heightened military presence and on-going military exercises of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation along the border region with Ukraine. This Travel Alert expires on June 13, 2014. The Department of State strongly recommends that all U.S. citizens residing or traveling abroad enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) in order to receive pertinent safety and security information.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/biden-heading-europe-amid-ukraine-tensions

Biden heading to Europe amid Ukraine tensions

The White House says Vice President Joe Biden will travel next week to Poland and Lithuania amid tensions in nearby Ukraine.

The trip is part of a U.S. effort to pressure Russia over a military intervention in Crimea that has the entire region on edge.

Biden will depart on Monday. That's the day after a planned vote in Crimea about whether to split off from Ukraine and possibly join Russia. The U.S. says the vote shouldn't take place.

Biden will meet with Poland's president and prime minister, plus the presidents of Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia. The White House says the leaders plan to discuss ways to support Ukraine's sovereignty. They'll also discuss the defense commitments that NATO allies have to one another.

http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/

Russia to Kill Last-Ditch U.N. Effort to Prevent Ukraine Annexation

U.S. and U.N. efforts to head off Crimea's referendum on whether to leave Ukraine for Russia fizzled out on Friday, with Moscow indicating that it would veto a new U.S.-drafted Security Council resolution declaring the vote to be invalid and urging states not to recognize any change in the region's status.

https://twitter.com/markknoller

Carney says US will respond quickly with sanctions against Russia after Crimea referendum. 

3:17 PM

Carney again says the costs to Russia will increase if it does not act to de-escalate situation in Ukraine.

3:18 PM

https://twitter.com/myroslavapetsa

In Kharkiv, the Right Sector office has come under fire of pro-Russian armed men. Reports suggest AKs are being used

6:50 PM

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPR

As a result of firing in Kharkiv, 2 persons were killed and 1 injured -hromadske.tv 

7:05 PM

Pro-ukrainians now inside the 'Prosvita' office. Pro-Russians & provocators outside. mayor Kernes has come to settle this   

7:11 PM

The one point is clear to all: russian provocations, their methods and theater players are becoming worse (in all sense)

7:19 PM

Kharkiv unrest in figures. 300 member of the separatist group “Oplot” & other pro-russian forces. 30 members of the “Patriot of Ukraine

7:31 PM

Wow.... There is something familiar about that Putin mural...  

It reminds me of Leonardo Da Vinci's mural depicting God touching man.

1217170010-hr-408.jpg

I guess if you are going to steal an idea, steal from the best.

Wonder why they put Putin in a wife beater?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/15/world/europe/rumors-mushroom-in-eastern-ukraine-fueling-expectations-of-war.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=tw-nytimesworld&_r=0

Rumors Mushroom in Eastern Ukraine, Fueling Expectations of War 

In confident and knowing tones, people here say they have heard that Russian spies have infiltrated the city, or that pro-Ukrainian fighters are hoarding weapons for an attack, or that thousands of Russian citizens have been bused in from across the border to foment riots.

Donetsk, a coal-mining city where blue-collar sensibilities reign and change comes slowly, is thick with rumors and talk of war.

As the interim government in Kiev that took over after President Viktor F. Yanukovych was overthrown last month has sought to consolidate its power in the country’s east, a potent information war has emerged between supporters of the new government and those who reject its authority and want a path toward Russia.

Punctuated by savage moments of violence between the two camps, the past several weeks have aroused tensions that this city, Mr. Yanukovych’s hometown, has not seen, perhaps, since the fall of the Soviet Union.

http://news.yahoo.com/ukraine-braces-crimea-breakaway-vote-043501185.html;_ylt=AwrTWVXj_SNT90UABmHQtDMD

Ukraine braces for Crimea breakaway vote

Ukraine braced Saturday for a highly-charged breakaway vote in Crimea which is likely to see the peninsula annexed by Russia despite the threat of stiff sanctions, and push East-West tensions to breaking point.

An eleventh-hour diplomatic push by the United States to stop the referendum from going ahead failed on Friday, with Moscow refusing to make any decisions until after Crimea votes on a spilt from Ukraine on Sunday.

Meanwhile two people were killed in clashes that broke out between pro-Moscow and pro-Kiev supporters in Ukraine's Russian-speaking city of Kharkiv, police said on Saturday, the second such deadly incident in as many days in the country's east.

One pro-Russia protester and a passerby were killed when Ukrainian nationalists opened fire on a group of men trying to storm their headquarters in the city late on Friday, police sources told AFP.

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPR

Kharkiv court ruled to ban illegal referendum on the region's federalization earlier scheduled on 15Mar. Criminal case opened. MediaPort 

3:32 AM

Archived