Coles Misses Practice Because of Toe Injury

TK

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A61289-2003Oct21.html

Redskins Notebook

Coles Misses Practice Because of Toe Injury

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, October 22, 2003; Page D05

Wide receiver Laveranues Coles sat out the Washington Redskins' practice yesterday because of a toe injury, but team officials said they were confident he would be ready to play in the club's next game on Nov. 2 at Dallas.

According to Redskins officials, Coles is suffering from "turf toe" -- a sprain of a joint in the big toe -- and aggravated the injury in Sunday's loss at Buffalo. Team officials said they expect him to be ready to practice by next week.

Guard Dave Fiore, meantime, said that last week's arthroscopic surgery on his ailing right knee went well and he could resume practicing late next week. Fiore said he is holding out some hope of playing in the Dallas game but realistically is targeting the Redskins' game against the Seattle Seahawks on Nov. 9 at FedEx Field for his return to the lineup. He has missed the Redskins' last four games because of discomfort in his knee, on which he also underwent surgery last year.

Comings, Goings

The Redskins signed defensive end Ron Warner and offensive lineman Mitch White, and released defensive end Ladairis Jackson and offensive lineman Brad Bedell.

Warner had been with the Buccaneers the previous two seasons and played in four games for them this season. He had a stint on the Redskins' practice squad in 1999. White was a sixth-round draft pick by the Saints from Oregon State in 2001 and also has spent time with the Packers and Jets.

Jackson had 21/2 sacks for the Redskins in limited playing time last season, and defensive coordinator George Edwards said last week that he would find a role for Jackson to try to improve the club's pass rush. But that didn't happen in Buffalo even though Jackson was in uniform after being on the inactive list for each of the first six games of the season, and the coaches apparently were unhappy with how he reacted to his lack of playing time.

Quiet Arrington

Linebacker LaVar Arrington declined to speak to reporters yesterday, a day after saying in his weekly radio appearance on WTEM that he agreed with Coach Steve Spurrier's postgame assessment Sunday that the team's players did not put forth a proper effort. "Those comments should only hurt those guys who aren't playing hard," guard Randy Thomas said.

Said veteran linebacker Jessie Armstead: "A lot of things are said after a game. I don't care who you are. You could be one of the greatest coaches or one of the greatest players. As soon as you lose, there's something about losing that leaves a bitter taste in your mouth. I looked at film. Guys were hustling, to me."

Spurrier said he hopes that Arrington and the club's other cornerstone players improve.

"Certainly I've mentioned that our star players need to pick it up, and LaVar will be the first to tell you that, that his play could be better," Spurrier said. "For us to be successful, our top players have really got to play well."

© 2003 The Washington Post Company

STI..

I think the disappearance of Coles can be directly contributed to the disappearance of our OL. Ramsey is getting constant pressure from somewhere different, due to blown assignments, on nearly every play. Additionally, the routes have been shortened due to the penchants of defensive coordinators to creep everyone up to the line in an attempt to blitz.

Once the protection improves, so will Coles seperation from defenders further down the field.

According to Redskins officials, Coles is suffering from "turf toe" -- a sprain of a joint in the big toe -- and aggravated the injury in Sunday's loss at Buffalo. Team officials said they expect him to be ready to practice by next week.

I was at the Pats game and watched the players as they entered the stadium. Coles was noticably limping then. Not so coincidentally that coinicides with his decline in big plays.

Turf toe is a nasty injury for a player. I remember when Jack Lambert had it in the early eighties and killed himself to play because he was embarrassed that it could keep him out of a game. His pride was so beaten up. It probably won't get better until after the season so Coles is going to have a long year.

Archived