Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Exactly Was The Plan Against Denver?

SoCalSkinsFan1975

alot of people are talking about RG3 not being able to read a defense, missing open receivers, etc...

That is all bogus....did he play great? no...did he miss some recievers? sure....but this team had 3 major problems today...

1) awful game plan:  Since when does this team think they can win with a dropback game?   we don't have the o-line, receivers, combined with Robert still developing to run that type of offense....what an atrocious gameplan....where were the bootlegs?   Why doesn't this team utilize the screen game to the running backs?    stop with the baloney about Robert holding the ball too long...too many times he has nowhere to go...no hot read..no outlet....I would like to see him get out of the pocket instead of standing there waiting for someone to get open.

2) O-line:  we all know it's not good enough

3) Receivers:  flat out atrocious....can't win against man coverage...too many drops....Robinson has potentially cost us two games with his 4th quarter drops.

I have been done with Kyle Shanahan's terrible playcalling since he took over the job. It makes no sense to anyone who doesn't wear a drool cup around their neck why you abandon the run with a 2 TD lead & a RB that only gets better the longer the game goes on. On top of that, he was cutting up what was supposed to be one of, if not the best run defenses in the League. but, no. Let's instead run post route after post route on play action that they are ready for. Oh, & let's do this KNOWING that the O-Line can't protect RG3 long enough to get the play off, even on a 4 man rush.

BTW, I'm also a bit concerned with RG3's inability to get rid of the ball. It seems as though he is staring down defenders that are crashing the pocket like a runaway freight train & he just holds the ball & waits...

...then throws the ball just as the defender is driving him into the ground. He's not making very good decisions lately. That pass the to Jordan Reed when he had Helu on the screen WIDE OPEN & Garcon in the endzone WIDE OPEN. What's going on with him?

alot of people are talking about RG3 not being able to read a defense, missing open receivers, etc...

That is all bogus....did he play great? no...did he miss some recievers? sure....but this team had 3 major problems today...

1) awful game plan:  Since when does this team think they can win with a dropback game?   we don't have the o-line, receivers, combined with Robert still developing to run that type of offense....what an atrocious gameplan....where were the bootlegs?   Why doesn't this team utilize the screen game to the running backs?    stop with the baloney about Robert holding the ball too long...too many times he has nowhere to go...no hot read..no outlet....I would like to see him get out of the pocket instead of standing there waiting for someone to get open.

2) O-line:  we all know it's not good enough

3) Receivers:  flat out atrocious....can't win against man coverage...too many drops....Robinson has potentially cost us two games with his 4th quarter drops.

I hate to burst your bubble, but there's no excuse for ANY QB to hold onto the ball as long as he has been. When there is no one to throw to, then run with it. It's nothing new for him. Unless he has been told not to, in which case, it falls back on the coaching (which honestly would not surprise me in the least). All too often we see him making poor decisions with the ball that simply don't add up. Either get out of the pocket & throw the ball away or tuck it & take off. But to still be standing in the pocket 4, 5 seconds into the play? He's asking to get sacked. It's bad enough that the playcalling is 12 notches below dreadful, but add to that his bad decision making & it is a recipe for disaster.

My concerns about RG3 are minor because of all the other issues involved. Maybe his issues stem from him not buying into the playcalling & so therefore, his decision making is just trickledown. I'm not in any way saying that he needs to sit, but I am saying that there are issues there that need addressing.

I can agree with your other points. O-Line is only good for about 1/2 of passing plays throughout a game, which is why mixing in way more running plays in the 2nd half with a 2 TD lead makes all the more sense.  Add to that the fact that even clutch receiver Santana Moss is dropping passes that he normally makes with ease, as well as all the other receivers dropping passes that are catchable & IMHO inexcusable to be dropping. Too many things that are going wrong with this team to blame just one person for all of it. RG3 is a concern, but there are others that can be dealt with first & honestly NEED to be dealt with first.

Can someone explain to me why our middle was so open that any dump off pass there netted a 30 yard gain all day?  I mean we had NO ONE in the middle.

You say this as if it's a new problem. lol

I swear once we went up 21-7, haslett went back to that zone...next thing you know it's 21-21

I'll be honest, I thought the defense played a pretty solid game against the highest scoring offense in the League. At least, until our offense was forcing them back onto the field every 30 seconds. But, to hold Peyton Manning & the high scoring Broncos to the fewest points in the 1st half all season was impressive. I don't blame the defense. This was all offense this week. Even ST stepped up this week & played well (except for a punt that resembled the likes of Joe Theismann punting). Nope. The burden of this game falls solely on the offense. From coaching to execution of the simplest of plays, this offense failed to deliver, even when they had a decent lead.

What Exactly Was The Plan Against Denver?

Well defensively the plan was to play Press Man. The idea was to disrupt their timing, try to get the routes off-course and cause Manning to throw incompletions and/or get turnovers. The idea was to try to force as many non-converted 3rd downs as possible and get the ball back to the offense.

The Colts played Press Man and had success, so did we. The Colts had Mathis knock the ball out of Manning's hand, we had Kerrigan do that. The Colts got points directly from their turnovers, so did we.

I guess, (and can only guess), that the idea was to play a ball control type game offensively. And for the first half, we did that. The second half started exactly how we wanted it to, things obviously fell apart.

I mean I understand that sticking to the run game is what we all wanted and what we all understood, inherently, as we saw that we needed to have a ball control and time consuming type of attack.

I was looking forward to testing deep and try to get vertical. We had no success at that. Again, the routes we run in which there are only two patterns going deep, that's just ... not working. All I know is that Vertical teams like Baylor find single man match-ups because they use Max receivers. So, if we earnestly wanted to have success going deep, I think we really needed to change the amount of routes we send out.

I'm not a student of the game, but from the very first play, it looked as if the Redskins had decided they could throw medium to long down the middle.  Whether that didn't work because of RG3 or not, they needed to get away from it.  AM was running well, he could've had a huge day.  Just throw short to medium and give the ball to AM.  Where were the quick outs RG3 throws so well?  He had a terrible day, but it could've been minimized by giving him some confidence with the high percentage stuff.  And trying to stay with the long passing was murder on RG3 when the OL started breaking down.  I don't blame the defense, Denver scores on everyone.  But we could have kept the ball out of their hands.  I wasn't expecting to beat Denver, especially since they were pissed from last weekend and would be taking it out on us.  Still, Manning nearly tried to give us the game, and what followed after that should not have happened.

Lets see, have a running back close to 100 yards at the half and up 14..

I know!!!

Abandon the run and throw it every down!!

Read option?? That **** was soo last year!

Throw from the pocket every down and damn the consequences!!

I hate to say but the sarcasm is spot on.  Very frustrating.  It seems that Kyle is hell bent at times to force this team to perform in ways it is not built to perform no matter what.  It seemed like our receivers could get no separation today, and when/if they did Robert missed them or didn't see them.  Overall, this offense seems it has no identity this year...or somebody is trying to force an identity change with personnel that won't or can't get the job done.   

We never had the ball up 14. After the DHall TD, the next time we got the ball the score was 21-14. We ran the ball on that drive and it stalled at midfield. Next time we got the ball it was tied at 21 and we ran two pass plays that worked perfectly from a a coaching perspective... Morgan was wide open on the first down play and RG missed him and Aldrick was open on the third down play and he dropped it.

Thank you for bringing logic and perspective to this thread. I think you are one of the few people posting that actually watched the game. There are so many people just making up stuff right now it's ridiculous.

The Redskins NEVER had the ball up 14. NEVER.

After the Broncos cut it to 7, here were the plays on the next drive.

1st and 10 at WSH 20 A.Morris up the middle to WAS 23 for 3 yards (V.Miller).    

2nd and 7 at WSH 23 (Shotgun) R.Griffin pass short middle to P.Garcon to WAS 34 for 11 yards (D.R-Cromartie; D.Trevathan). PENALTY on DEN-K.Vickerson, Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards, enforced at WAS 34.    

1st and 10 at WSH 49 A.Morris right tackle to 50 for 1 yard (M.Unrein).    

2nd and 9 at 50 (Shotgun) A.Morris left end to DEN 48 for 2 yards (D.Wolfe; D.Trevathan).

3rd and 7 at DEN 48 (Shotgun) R.Griffin pass incomplete short right to S.Moss [M.Jackson].    

4th and 7 at DEN 48 S.Rocca punts 31 yards to DEN 17, Center-K.Nelson, out of bounds.

So after a run and a pass to get a first down, and yardage from a penalty, they ran the ball on two plays for 3 yards. Then one incomplete pass on 3rd and 7 and a punt. Denver takes it down and ties the game. Hard to argue with the play calling there.

If you want to complain about the play calling, you can start when the game was tied, and then again when they were down 7. But as Kleese stated above, two of the three plays should have been catches for first down. But have 3 straight passes on that drive does rightfully bring out the criticism.

I know everyone is mad and there is plenty of criticism to go around, but people need to at least get the facts straight about the game.

They thought that because the Cowboys, Colts, etc...dropped back and threw deep; that we could do the same....we're not capable of doing that right now.....awful coaching job.

I've ripped the defense plenty, but they played their a** off...the special teams weren't a disaster.

The offensive game plan was atrocious...shame on the Shanahan's.

Archived