Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Comprehensive Nfl Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

Frame isn't just height though. He could be physically maxed out already. Shazier is heavier AND more athletic. If anything he could add 15 pounds and still be as fast as telvin. Is telvin a 4.5 guy at 235? If he was 4.52 at 217 then he's probably 4.65 or slower at 235. That's not exceptionally fast for the size.

Yes but when you're 6"3 217 like Smith, you are pretty much skinny (look at a pic of him compared to shazier) so he has slot of room to get bigger. When you add muscle on a frame like Smiths, you aren't going to lose a ton of athleticism.

its because you wield your words, like you're a well respected scout for PFF and denounce others opinions, while stating yours as a factual evidence for doing so.

Don't think I've ever "denounced" anyone's opinion. After all, this whose thread is one big opinion.

So what do you expect out of our five-technique DE?

I think he would fit great in that position. I still believe that our DE should stop the run and keep the o-line bussy so that the LB's can find there way to the QB.

Do agree that we have bigger needs. Would only pick him if he is the BPA.

I do think he is a hell of a 2 gaper. Probably the 2nd best in the draft. I just don't think picking him in the 2nd round would be a good idea.

The Redskins are one of the teams at Dom Easley's workout today. I would love to have him. It would be great to get him in the 3rd but I really doubt he will last that long.

I REALLY hope he does. Getting a guy with all pro potential in the 3rd round would be a mega steal.

Yes but when you're 6"3 217 like Smith, you are pretty much skinny (look at a pic of him compared to shazier) so he has slot of room to get bigger. When you add muscle on a frame like Smiths, you aren't going to lose a ton of athleticism.

Don't think I've ever "denounced" anyone's opinion. After all, this whose thread is one big opinion.

I do think he is a hell of a 2 gaper. Probably the 2nd best in the draft. I just don't think picking him in the 2nd round would be a good idea.

People do have maximum builds though, short of steroids. Genetically some can carry more than others. With telvin being so small it wouldn't surprise me if he was a hard gainer. Would love him as an ss though.

People do have maximum builds though, short of steroids. Genetically some can carry more than others. With telvin being so small it wouldn't surprise me if he was a hard gainer. Would love him as an ss though.

Of course they do, look at Shazier for example. I think it is the opposite with Telvin, and in an NFL strength and conditioning program I think he will add muscle very rapidly.

The Redskins are one of the teams at Dom Easley's workout today. I would love to have him. It would be great to get him in the 3rd but I really doubt he will last that long.

I just wish I had a good history on big guys and knee injuries. It seems like it would be especially difficult to recover with so much extra stress on your knee.

What position for Easley though?

Kinda hoping we grab Ward or Buchanon. Ward would solidify our depth in the slot (which is a bit thin, particularly with Porter's tendency to miss games). His versatility (along with Clark's and even Thomas') could allow more creativity/flexibility with 3 safeties on the field... though that depends on Haslett...

I guess in my heart of hearts I want Ward or Buc prolly more then any other prospect at pick 34 (short of Beckham falling or something crazy like that). Either player provides a possible long term solution to one SAF spot. Both are strong enough tacklers to instantly improve an area that to my eye was a real weakness in our secondary albiet a hidden or under talked about weakness (tackling). Ward adds versatility to cover the slot in addition to play FS. Buc,as Charles Davis put it, is a "hammer" and would be our defense's version of Kam Chancellor but with more speed/range.

Of course they do, look at Shazier for example. I think it is the opposite with Telvin, and in an NFL strength and conditioning program I think he will add muscle very rapidly.

It's not like telvin just had aspirations to be an nfl linebacker this year though. Conceivably he's been working at it since he got to fsu. He was small as a freshman and didn't really add much mass in his career. I can't imagine that the fsu coaches wanted him to stay so small.

It's not like telvin just had aspirations to be an nfl linebacker this year though. Conceivably he's been working at it since he got to fsu. He was small as a freshman and didn't really add much mass in his career. I can't imagine that the fsu coaches wanted him to stay so small.

Well, he did add about 20 pounds thoughtout his college career, but I imagine he mainly focused on his speed considering he only ran a 4.85 in highschool. It's not like his size really hurt him that much either, as he played much bigger.

RE: Telvin Smith

Neither here nor there but if he couldn't put on mass during the break between college and his proday like other prospects did you have to wonder about his ability to add weight.

I'm pretty sure he wanted to be faster for his pro day, as you don't add 10+ pounds of muscle in the 2 months between the Senior bowl and his pro day.

Kinda hoping we grab Ward or Buchanon. Ward would solidify our depth in the slot (which is a bit thin, particularly with Porter's tendency to miss games). His versatility (along with Clark's and even Thomas') could allow more creativity/flexibility with 3 safeties on the field... though that depends on Haslett...

I'm in complete agreement here.  Trade back is my first choice, but Ward at 34 is my 2nd choice.  I'm totally for bpa, but feel he may be bpa at 34.  I'm talking Ward.  Buchanon is a 3rd round pick for me.

I guess in my heart of hearts I want Ward or Buc prolly more then any other prospect at pick 34 (short of Beckham falling or something crazy like that). Either player provides a possible long term solution to one SAF spot. Both are strong enough tacklers to instantly improve an area that to my eye was a real weakness in our secondary albiet a hidden or under talked about weakness (tackling). Ward adds versatility to cover the slot in addition to play FS. Buc,as Charles Davis put it, is a "hammer" and would be our defense's version of Kam Chancellor but with more speed/range.

Glad to see someone with more technical knowledge backing me up... makes me feel smart. :)

I'm in complete agreement here. Trade back is my first choice, but Ward at 34 is my 2nd choice. I'm totally for bpa, but feel he may be bpa at 34. I'm talking Ward. Buchanon is a 3rd round pick for me.

I'd love it if we could trade back and still nab one of them. I think Buchanon is a 2nd-3rd. Ward (at 34) makes sense in terms of value for this team. I'm picturing oline in the 3rd (34 is likely not the best value for one) and most other positions we draft at 34 are less likely to have as much of an impact this year. ILB might be the exception. But what do I know (not much)...

Glad to see someone with more technical knowledge backing me up... makes me feel smart. :)

I'd love it if we could trade back and still nab one of them. I think Buchanon is a 2nd-3rd. Ward (at 34) makes sense in terms of value for this team. I'm picturing oline in the 3rd (34 is likely not the best value for one) and most other positions we draft at 34 are less likely to have as much of an impact this year. ILB might be the exception. But what do I know (not much)...

Technical shmetical I'm just shooting from the hip like everyone else...

If we could get Buc in the 3rd that would be awesome but I think he'll be long gone

I guess in my heart of hearts I want Ward or Buc prolly more then any other prospect at pick 34 (short of Beckham falling or something crazy like that).

I think the reality of the situation is that if the Skins want Ward or D.Buc they will have to take them at #34.  The old line of them being "a bit of a reach at #34" is bunk imo.  If you like either of those guys you better take them at #34 because I believe (and I could very well be wrong) that they will both be long gone 15-20 later, let alone #66.   

Two years from now nobody will care if a player was taken at #34 or #55 (just picking a random later draft pick)…if they are a quality player.  But if you pass on that quality player at #34 and someone grabs him before you pick at #55…you better hope the guy at #55 (and any other picks associated) was worth it.

Chris Russell spent about 45 minutes on the draft last night, not too many big nuggets but here's what I took:

he thinks they will draft a pass rusher at some point.  They love Shazier.   As for the safeties they see things like most of the draft geeks with Pryor, Clinton Dix being the clear two best safeties and Ward being the clear third best.  

Can anyone summarize Kiper's Redskins Mock draft 4.0?  It is an insider's report, so I can't read it. But, maybe someone can give us a break down (cut/paste) on what he is saying.  The ESPN link is:  http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post?id=7016

Going based on players that are talked about some on this thread, here are Kiper's draft for late 1st and 2nd

21. Shazier
22. Benjamin
27. Latimer
28. Moses
30.  Matthews 
32. Tuitt

Redskins take Borland

37. Ford
40. Van Noy
43. Filo
44. Ward
46. Nix
47. Bucannon
50. Bitonio
53. Amaro
55. Kouandjio

63. Yankey 

Chris Russell spent about 45 minutes on the draft last night, not too many big nuggets but here's what I took:

he thinks they will draft a pass rusher at some point.  They love Shazier.   As for the safeties they see things like most of the draft geeks with Pryor, Clinton Dix being the clear two best safeties and Ward being the clear third best.  

Shazier and adding someone like Marcus Smith would be very good for the front seven moving forward 

Has Denard slipped to 2nd round????

How did that happen?

I've cooled on Dennard a lot lately. First, he's overly physical when the receiver is past 5 yds and will be prone to PIs in the NFL. Second, he can't tackle. His problems are coachable, but I'm not sold on him at all.

3-4 DE. He can play inside on sub-packages too.

Going based on players that are talked about some on this thread, here are Kiper's draft for late 1st and 2nd

21. Shazier

22. Benjamin

27. Latimer

28. Moses

30. Matthews

32. Tuitt

Redskins take Borland

37. Ford

40. Van Noy

43. Filo

44. Ward

46. Nix

47. Bucannon

50. Bitonio

53. Amaro

55. Kouandjio

63. Yankey

I like Borland fairly well, and could see him being a Fletch like ILB in this defense, eventually. HOWEVER, if we take Borland with guys like Ward, Benjamin, DBuc, Bitonio, Sua'Filo, Van Noy still on the board, I'd be extremely disappointed. Not only is he a lesser talent and fit than all of those players, in my opinion, it would also mean that our scouting department and decision makers continue to miss the mark pretty badly.

Dan (St. Louis)

Where is the better safety draft value - Dix or Pryor in round 1 or Ward in round 2?

Mel Kiper

Ward in the second will be a real good pick for somebody. Baltimore, Dallas, St. Louis. He's a ball hawk. He has good hands. He is ideally suited for today's NFL. He can cover, even at 193 pounds. That's the best value.

Code (New Orleans)

The depth of this draft seems to present a unique challenge - relative to past drafts - in trying to predict the placement of players with teams. At a minimum it will make for an unpredictable draft.

Mel Kiper
I think it will be very unpredictable. There are about 7 elite players, but there are a lot of decent to good players whose ratings are volatile. There is tough to build consensus. There are positions where there is depth at the top and then a major drop off. There are 100 underclassmen that people are trying to figure out. That was a record number of underclassmen.

Matt (Ohio)

Mel, any chance Ryan Shazier drops to my skins in round 2?

Mel Kiper
I would say that's slim.

Leon (Detroit)

more likely to fall to the second round marquise lee or kelvin benjamin?

Mel Kiper
Both could. I would say it's 50-50. Both are in the mix to be late 1s or early 2s. I have them both in the first right now. But could one of those two drop to the early second? Yes.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/50423/nfl-draft-insider-mel-kiper

Archived