Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Strengths Of Morris Vs Helu (Theisman Comments)

NAC386

i'm happy that either one can carry (pun intended) the team in that department.  that said, i'd MUCH rather have Morris be a mainstay there.  Morris cuts quicker, is more decisive, has MUCH better patience, manages to be more elusive AND more powerful than Helu Jr., & there's no such thing as -a-) first tackler bringing down Morris, or -b-)an arm tackle bringing down Morris.

Morris isn't AP....but he's a REALLY darn good back.  like REALLY good. 

just some of the things he does to gain 3-4 yards when he should have lost 2-3 yards...& consistently.......like ALL THE TIME, never ceases to amaze me.  the ONLY thing he lacks is game-breaking speed, but even without that...his patience & quick cuts often combine to manipulate the defenders so well as to make game-breaking type of plays on a consistent basis even without the requisite speed.

Joey Theisman is not a good analyst, he likes to hear himself talk too much. Great player in our history but not a good tv commentator and not a HOfer.....and yes, I agree with th OP. in fact , I wonder if Helu was healthy last year if Almo would have been the starter. If almo does go down for any reason, i think Helu won't miss a beat.

Yeah...I heard it too, and was like, "Well, that's wrong".

I don't think he mixed the names up either. Joe Theisman is quite simply an pompous airbag. I ended up muting him off and on just because he seems to think it's not okay to let a moment of silence pass by on air without filling it with whatever meaningless string of words is fluttering about in his head at any given time.

I would gladly listen to any other human being in existence call a game than to suffer him any longer. That includes all other teams' homer announcers, Joe Buck, Phil Simms, and yes...even Chris Collinsworth.

Ugh. I'm not old enough to remember Joe's playing days, but even if I was....I doubt I'd feel any different about him in the booth.

Anyways, about the Helu/Morris comparison, I think every poster has already pretty much nailed down what type of backs they are. It's easy to see for anyone who's watched either play the position.

I feel we have two starting RB's with Helu and Morris, we got a small sample of Helu two years ago and most would say they were pleased with what they saw and that could build on it and be our future starter. In comes Morris and some start to write off Helu and his future here. Now that he's shown he's game day ready and his injury woes are behind him, he'll make a good 3rd down back, only cause he can catch balls out of the backfield. There are plenty of starting RB's that are duel threats and we could have the same kind of good problems as we do at QB. It's gonna be such a run running game to watch.

I thought that too at first, that he had just accidentally flipped the names.  But I think earlier in the game he also commented on how big Helu was, saying he looks like a full-back.  It sure didn't sound like a mix up, but I guess that's the only explanation.

I think he was saying that Helu was bigger.

For those of you who couldn't wait to put Joey T in the booth when Sam retired...

The defense rests...

I did like how Chick corrected the "ride-option" thing Joey T has been going with.  That's been killing me. 

Let JT grow into it.  His on-field credentials are unassailable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcpmwzeSkFE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6PbAF0lYOo

His being a good football player has nothing to do with it. I'd rather have a player that had a cup of coffee with the redskins before getting bounced out of the league in the booth, if he was good at it. Joey T is terrible. The Nats and Wizards have professional TV and radio teams, the Redskins have something that sounds like a bad public access show.

"Morris is quicker, and his moves are more nifty.  Helu is a more powerful back."

That is a quote from Theisman from our preseason game against Buffalo.  I completely disagree with his assessment, and I'm not sure how anybody could come to that conclusion after last season.  I actually think what he said is the opposite of the truth.  In my opinion:

Morris- Better one cut runner, better vision, much more powerful, much better at shedding tackles, durability.

Helu- Better breakaway speed, better route runner, better hands (maybe), "niftier" movies (maybe)

Equal- Pass protection, quickness

How do you feel our backs compare?  Does anyone agree with what Theisman said?  

I think Theisman has a bit of Sam Huffness to him. What he says doesn't always make sense.

Archived