Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Defense To Use 3-4 On Sunday

The Wicked Wop

asf.....even so...the defense has gotten steadily worse as the season has progressed....all the stats (and scores!) show it!

our lbs, save for lavar, are not adept at pass coverage. that should be pretty obvious by now. this strikes me as folly 6 games into the season. willing to bet we experiment with it but never make a complete shift. it strikes me as being a "hey....I have a great idea, let's change the whole scheme after the season starts! we'll pick it up as we go along". we know how problematic it was to pick up the original scheme last season....and we're going to change during the season?!!!!! i don't think so.......

I have mixed feelings about this. First of all, ASF makes some valid points. I think a major shift is as likely to create chaos (perhaps I should say 'more chaos'?) than to turn the season tide defensively. On the other hand, as fan points out, its not like we have a lot to lose. The Bills are in last place rushing and I don't think they are going to have a break-out game on the ground against us. My biggest concern is Bledsoe having some sort of career day. Anything that helps us get more pressure on the QB, and makes us less predictable on defense may be a good thing.

My only question...and ASF seems to be the only other questioning it....How stupid is it to announce an intended change? Why? Where's the logic here? If you want to make a dramatic switch....fine....but to announce it to the media????

Just don't understand that guys.

Hey ASF. The defense DID cost us the game. And sometimes one play is the key. Remember the third and thirteen conversion?

"That big conversion shot life into our football team," Bucs Coach Jon Gruden said.

A football game is more than a compilation of statistics. It's also a game of momentum and emotion.

BTW I'm glad you brought up the Giants game. Did you notice that what the Bucs did to us was the same thing the giants did in overtime. They used a FB instead of a TE and slipped him out in the flat on a misdirection play. Multiple times.

Collins hit a wide-open Jim Finn for a 27-yard gain to the Washington 20. "We ran the play the drive before. ... We knew it was going to be wide open," Finn said. "No one was covering me. It was pretty simple."

There is something seriously wrong with our defense. Especially when it comes to defending the flats. I have the same reservations as you. I don't like seeing a new scheme rushed into service. but something has to be done fast because opposing offenses are licking their chops.

We knew that the pass rush would be a weakness this year. I may be alone on this one but I think we are trying too hard to create pressure. I would rather see us just take less chances and pick our times to blitz more carefully than to change schemes on short notice, but I'm not going to get bent out of shape about it if we try the 3/4. The extra backer would give us one more man capable of defending the flats and the extra flexibility may help.

I dont know about all this. It could be good, but I dont think its going to make much of a difference. I dont like the 3-4 at all against the run. I am not a fan. But I could be wrong.

I dont think the defense needs to change anything. BJ threw two passes last week that if Smoot were playing would have been INT's and we probably would have won. One on a 3rd and 10 when BJ lobbed it up to McCardell, Champ did get beat but Bauman was standing right there and could have jumped up and picked it, but he slipped or something and for some reason was on the ground in front of the play. Also that one that went off Baumans hand down on the goal line, I think Smoot would have reacted and caught that.

The defense just had a few errors that snowballed. I dont think we need to switch the scheme. I just think we need to get a little more creative with our blitz packages to get pressure on the QB.

It does seem kinda stupid to announce that we will use th 3-4 this Sunday and give the Bills all week to be ready for it. Like earlier posts said, if you're gonna change it up just do it and don't say anything. Any chance that this is just a ploy to get the Bills to waste time on preparing for the 3-4 and us never use it?

Ok, so let me get this straight. The coaches have been watching film of the loss for the past two days and this is what they come up with???

My recollection of the game may be a bit faded by now but if I recall correctly I don't think it was the lack of pressure that killed us in that game but the fact that our LBs couldn't, or rather wouldn't even try to cover TEs and RBs out of the backfield.

Send in the Clowns

Isn't it rich, are we a pair?

Me here at last on the ground,

You in mid-air.

Send in the clowns.

Isn't it bliss, don't you approve?

One who keeps tearing around

One who can't move

Where are the clowns?

Send in the clowns.

Just when I'd stopped opening doors,

Finally knowing the one that I wanted was yours.

Making my entrance again with my usual flair,

Sure of my lines;

No one is there.

Don't you love farce?

My fault I fear,

I thought that you'd want what I want,

Sorry my dear

But where are the clowns

Send in the clowns

Don't bother, they're here.

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer

Losing my timing this late in my career

But where are the clowns

there ought to be clowns

Well, maybe next year.

That's great! Now we are going to tamper with the defense when we couldn't get a handle on the 4-3.

Boy this coaching staff is really coming up with more and more inventive ways to give games away.

kudos to Spurrier, Edwards and Helton.

These three have been the most valuable players for the Eagles,Giants,Bucs and now they are shotting for the Bills too.

Now before we all jump on them though, lets think about this. They have watched the game tape, the actual game tape, not the tape of the game off of fox. And they have come up with this, these guys have better football minds than us, a la they are getting paid for it. And though it doesnt seem like a good idea to us, I think they must have a good reason behind this. And I bet they will only do it on like 3rd and longs or 2nd and longs when its almost a sure passing down, since they pointed out that the reason for us trying this is pressure on the QB.

And yes getting pressure on the QB did kill us! The Keyshawn TD, BJ had all day. Several other huge throws he had all day. Lavar should blitz on every 3rd down thats over 3rd and 7.

Can anyone tell me where I can get one of those 'head up the arse' avatars skinswin is sporting?

sheesh.

41 years old and still believing in leprechauns eh Tarhog?

Clown me.

Clown me.

I'll feel better.

And thanks for being gentle Cranky. Mighty kind of you.

:rotflmao:

that was pretty damn funny guys.

one thought - this is Bruce Smith's old team we're playing against. Anyone think he'll play his best game against them? I think he'll do his normal routine, of course - but mixing him up and putting him in there on passing downs can't hurt.

Archived