Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: Col. Bud Day, Heroic Pilot in Vietnam War, Dies at 88

nonniey

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/29/us/col-bud-day-vietnam-war-hero-dies-at-88.html

"Col. Bud Day, an Air Force fighter pilot who was shot down in the Vietnam War, imprisoned with John McCain in the notorious “Hanoi Hilton” and defiantly endured more than five years of brutality without divulging sensitive information to his captors, earning him the Medal of Honor, died on Saturday in Shalimar, Fla. He was 88.

His death was announced by his wife, Doris.

Colonel Day was among America’s most highly decorated servicemen, having received nearly 70 medals and awards, more than 50 for combat exploits. In addition to the Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest award for valor, he was awarded the Air Force Cross, the highest combat award specifically for airmen....."

88. Tough old bird. RIP, Colonel.

We also had a native son, Staff Sgt. Ty Michael Carter, recently stationed among all the fine people at JBLM, who just received a Medal of Honor. But he is fortunate enough to be alive to see it. We should be seeing him in major media in the future as a spokesperson on PTSD issues for vets.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/29/us/col-bud-day-vietnam-war-hero-dies-at-88.html

"Col. Bud Day, an Air Force fighter pilot who was shot down in the Vietnam War, imprisoned with John McCain in the notorious “Hanoi Hilton” and defiantly endured more than five years of brutality without divulging sensitive information to his captors, earning him the Medal of Honor, died on Saturday in Shalimar, Fla. He was 88.

His death was announced by his wife, Doris.

Colonel Day was among America’s most highly decorated servicemen, having received nearly 70 medals and awards, more than 50 for combat exploits. In addition to the Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest award for valor, he was awarded the Air Force Cross, the highest combat award specifically for airmen....."

I wouldn't wish that on anyone, yet he got through it. What a badass.

RIP, Col. Day.

88. Tough old bird. RIP, Colonel.

We also had a native son, Staff Sgt. Ty Michael Carter, recently stationed among all the fine people at JBLM, who just received a Medal of Honor. But he is fortunate enough to be alive to see it. We should be seeing him in major media in the future as a spokesperson on PTSD issues for vets.

A great man, and a great American.

My stepfather ( who raised me ), was stationed in Quin Nhon at the time Col. Day was shot down.

Your mention of PTSD reminded me of this, that I saw recently:

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/battle-rattle/2013/02/28/washington-redskins-hail-marine-captain-on-retirement/

It was amazing, I’ll be honest. It pretty much made me cry,” he said.

Haag said he isn’t sure who tipped the Redskins off, but he suspects Dave Ellis, a photographer for the Free-Lance Star of Fredericksburg who shoots Redskins games. Ellis has been following Haag and his family around for a month for a story on Haag’s ongoing battle with post-traumatic stress, also documented on Haag’s blog,

Redskins-letter-768x1024.jpg

Archived