Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has RGIII learned...

TheTotalPackage

...how to slide?

apologies if this has already been posted.  i searched and nothing came up.

We all have heard how much RG3 has put into his rehab this offseason.  With any rehab, some focus should be put on decreasing the potential for injury.  I think RG3's initial injury vs the Ravens could have been avoided if he knew how to slide properly. 

One of Shanahan's statements this offseason was that RG3 needed to learn how to slide and I agree; especially if we want to stick with the Read Option.  I think it's hard for him because as a sprinter, he's trained to run full speed straight ahead; and to slide, he's got to actually decelerate then execute it.  Also, some discipline is needed; as RG3 sometimes tries to do too much; get the extra yard or cut back inside instead of running out of bounds; which increases the potential of him suffering another big hit and injury.  I would like to see him take a cue from Kaepernick.  That guy has made sliding an art form.

Anyway, has there been any mention of RG3 learning this over the summer?  That he met with some baseball player or coach who ran him through Sliding 101?  Being that he is in recovery from injury, I kind of don't see how he could have because it seems that doing so could cause him to have a setback.  This is one of the things I look forward to seeing the most improvement in RG3 this season; so I'm very curious.

Instead of some wise ass answer like I would normally say....I will say.. Bacon is awesome, and point you to the training camp tweet thread and let you read if he has or not...

Bacon certainly is awesome.

My ears are burning.

Our camp sources have claimed that RG3 was not only sliding on Friday, but showing off with long, exaggerated slides just to prove he could. I'm thinking that should sufficiently answer your query.

This is actually a good point.  It's a peculiar little skill that may not come so easily to guy like RG3 used to outrunning everybody on the field.  And if you don't do it right and get a cleat caught in the turf it can actually be dangerous.  So I hope he's throwing some slides into his practice routine.

Remember this from when Jim Zorn was quarterbacks coach for the Seahawks? 

When I was about 6, my dad caught me 'attempting' to smoke a cigarette.

After wearing my ass out with a Hot Wheels track,  it sent a message to me loud and clear.

{ don't ever smoke menthols  lol}.

With that being said, i'm sure he's heard more than his share of demands to slide and save himself for another day.

Now I cringe every time I pass the toy section at WalMart...

Has the media learned? I keep hearing ad naseum about the zone read option needs to go... Yet it was passing plays that he scrambled for more yardage that got him injured...

How to slide? I'm sure. If the fans and media think he should slide, then I'm sure the thought had already crossed his mind

Archived