Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Terrible ownership and management for both teams. I also think there is this win now culture of entitlement in those franchises that's pretty mind boggling when you look at the history of each. They seem to be competing with each other for who can take the most shortcuts to try and build a winner that will inevitably end up in disaster.

Aside from a period of a couple of years for each, those teams haven't been much more relevant than the Wizards since the 70's. It's absurd that they think they don't have to go through a painstaking rebuild just like everyone else.

Terrible ownership and management for both teams. I also think there is this win now culture of entitlement in those franchises that's pretty mind boggling when you look at the history of each. They seem to be competing with each other for who can take the most shortcuts to try and build a winner that will inevitably end up in disaster.

Aside from a period of a couple of years for each, those teams haven't been much more relevant than the Wizards since the 70's. It's absurd that they think they don't have to go through a painstaking rebuild just like everyone else.

We are always force fed Knicks basketball because the media desperately wants them to be good and generate ratings that only massive media markets can.  The Knicks are terrible and like you say, they've been mostly average to bad for a long time.   

Brook Lopez, out for the season.

Brooklyn is done.

Didn't he have a foot injury back when the Magic were trying to trade Howard as well?  

Edit:  Yup.  

Friday night was just Lopez's second game back after being sidelined by his second ankle injury this year, He played 44 minutes, much of which he played after he suffered the injury, according to ESPN New York. He broke the fifth metatarsal in his right foot,according to Newsday beat writer Rod Boone, the same foot he broke in 2011 which required multiple screws.

Big men who suffer through foot and ankle problems early in their careers don't often have long careers. Yao Ming had to retire before he turned 30 with similar issues, although Lopez isn't well over 300 pounds like Ming.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/12/21/5232848/brook-lopez-broken-foot-injury-history

Edited by Destino

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/86940/the-nbas-possible-solution-for-tanking-good-bye-to-the-lottery-hello-to-the-wheel

Grantland obtained a copy of the proposal, which would eliminate the draft lottery entirely and replace it with a system in which each of the 30 teams would pick in a specific first-round draft slot once — and exactly once — every 30 years. Each team would simply cycle through the 30 draft slots, year by year, in a predetermined order designed so that teams pick in different areas of the draft each year. Teams would know with 100 percent certainty in which draft slots they would pick every year, up to 30 years out from the start of every 30-year cycle. The practice of protecting picks would disappear; there would never be a Harrison Barnes–Golden State situation again, and it wouldn’t require a law degree to track ownership of every traded pick leaguewide.

The system is simpler to understand in pictorial form. Below is the wheel that outlines the order in which each team would cycle through the draft slots; the graphic highlights the top six slots in red to show that every team would be guaranteed one top-six pick every five seasons, and at least one top-12 pick in every four-year span:

Much more in the link

Edited by StillUnknown

I have less of a problem with tanking than I do Wiggins going to Miami because it's their turn to draft 1st overall.  The NBA's own rules creates the problems and often there seems to be a push to make the problems even worse by offering an insane solution.  Tanking is caused by concentration of talent.  The NBA is a star driven league for a variety of reasons. many of which are not simply the nature of basketball, and teams can't contend without a star.  Stars are rarely available as free agents or traded.  When they are they have destinations in mind.  So how are teams supposed to win if they don't "win the lottery" so to speak?   

By making the system a round robin they don't fix anything.  They just make it that much harder for bad teams to improve. 

Thanks david stern, for reminding me why I don't watch/care about the NBA.  today's heat/laker game was god awful.  every single close call went miami's way, and very few close calls went in Lakers favor.  any time somebody was in the vicinity of wade or Lebron shooting, its a foul.  nba is some bull****.  

and the number of times van gundy referred to Lebron as "The ultimate champion" and "the best player in the world."  ugh...give his sack some room already. 

Edited by Chew

Ok is that nightmare of the Christmas Basketball games and jerseys over? 1st two games, god awful along with the jerseys. I mean look at this gif and this is your 2013 Knicks summed up in one gif(as most have said already)

knickslol_medium.gif

And they caught Melo sleep on the sidelines(Joking, he was actually sneezing, but I'd fall asleep on the bench too watching this game). Look at this jump shot. The Knicks are a joke. How did they wind up with the 2 seed last season? Is this Stern's last **** you to us as fans for both NY teams on National TV? 

Edited by DCranon21
  • Like 1

Whooo, boy - those X-mas jerseys were gross!  Experiment fail....

LOL, DCranon21, yeah, that clip says it all about the Knicks!

Warriors/Clips was entertaining though (if one can stay awake that late, haha).  It got testy in the second half and CP3 and Curry had some great back-and-forth drives/shots down the stretch to close out the game.

I have less of a problem with tanking than I do Wiggins going to Miami because it's their turn to draft 1st overall.  The NBA's own rules creates the problems and often there seems to be a push to make the problems even worse by offering an insane solution.  Tanking is caused by concentration of talent.  The NBA is a star driven league for a variety of reasons. many of which are not simply the nature of basketball, and teams can't contend without a star.  Stars are rarely available as free agents or traded.  When they are they have destinations in mind.  So how are teams supposed to win if they don't "win the lottery" so to speak?   

By making the system a round robin they don't fix anything.  They just make it that much harder for bad teams to improve. 

I think a part of this people aren't talking about is how this would influence underclassmen to come out. If say Miami had the 1st pick, would we see more guys come out early as opposed to when Toronto has the 1st pick?

Guys would pretty much know where their going and could just choose to stay in school an extra year instead of going to a crap team.

I think a part of this people aren't talking about is how this would influence underclassmen to come out. If say Miami had the 1st pick, would we see more guys come out early as opposed to when Toronto has the 1st pick?

Guys would pretty much know where their going and could just choose to stay in school an extra year instead of going to a crap team.

That's a good point that I hadn't even considered. If Wiggins knew that this season Milwaukee had the first pick but the Lakers picked first the following season would he stay another year in college? Never mind what you think about his right to make that decision, that would be a huge embarrassment to the league and essentially break the draft. Edited by Destino

That's a good point that I hadn't even considered. If Wiggins knew that this season Milwaukee had the first pick but the Lakers picked first the following season would he stay another year in college? Never mind what you think about his right to make that decision, that would be a huge embarrassment to the league and essentially break the draft.

Yup definitetly. I guess in a way, the "wheel" would help improve college bball since the underclassmen would only come out if the top teams had the early picks. Why come out early and go to a crap team when you can stay that extra year and go to a contender and still get top pick money?

Yup definitetly. I guess in a way, the "wheel" would help improve college bball since the underclassmen would only come out if the top teams had the early picks. Why come out early and go to a crap team when you can stay that extra year and go to a contender and still get top pick money?

I don't think the NBA needs to spend a single moment worrying about what would improve the NCAA. They're better off developing their DLeague in case the Euro leagues ever really start making a lot of money and start trying to poach American highschool players. The soccer model is there for Euro basketball to follow and they'll need to get some serious prospects if they want to pressure the NBA to raise or eliminate any buyout limits on NBA teams looking to purchase a euro players rights.  The incentive is their for the Euro leagues to start offering money to American highschool players and their families. The NBA isn't going to win that battle long term by propping up the NCAA.

I don't imagine that happening soon much of international basketball is still in it's infancy compared to the NCAA in terms of budgets, coaching, and competition.  Basketball, however, has exploded globally and there is no reason to think that it's going to stop any time soon.  FIBA has more teams than FIFA and basketball has a world cup now.  The NBA is taking steps to minimize the Olympics in order to make the world cup a more prominent event, like it is with soccer.  Who would have imagined that 20 years ago?   

The future of basketball will look more like the other major international sports and the NCAA doesn't have a stranglehold on baseball, hockey, or soccer so I don't expect it to hold on to basketball either.  It will be interesting to see how the NBA chooses to position itself.  

Anyway that's a entire discussion all it's own.  Point is the NBA shouldn't worry about the NCAA as it currently exists.  

Edited by Destino

I don't think the NBA needs to spend a single moment worrying about what would improve the NCAA. They're better off developing their DLeague in case the Euro leagues ever really start making a lot of money and start trying to poach American highschool players. The soccer model is there for Euro basketball to follow and they'll need to get some serious prospects if they want to pressure the NBA to raise or eliminate any buyout limits on NBA teams looking to purchase a euro players rights.  The incentive is their for the Euro leagues to start offering money to American highschool players and their families. The NBA isn't going to win that battle long term by propping up the NCAA.

I don't imagine that happening soon much of international basketball is still in it's infancy compared to the NCAA in terms of budgets, coaching, and competition.  Basketball, however, has exploded globally and there is no reason to think that it's going to stop any time soon.  FIBA has more teams than FIFA and basketball has a world cup now.  The NBA is taking steps to minimize the Olympics in order to make the world cup a more prominent event, like it is with soccer.  Who would have imagined that 20 years ago?   

The future of basketball will look more like the other major international sports and the NCAA doesn't have a stranglehold on baseball, hockey, or soccer so I don't expect it to hold on to basketball either.  It will be interesting to see how the NBA chooses to position itself.  

Anyway that's a entire discussion all it's own.  Point is the NBA shouldn't worry about the NCAA as it currently exists.  

I didn't mean it to come off as the NBA looking out for the NCAA. I don't think that was is the NBA's intention at all. I just think that if they go with this new lottery method, one of the unintended results could be an improvement to the college game. I don't think the NBA needs to worry about the NCAA at all.

Lol Manziel is at the Hawks-Bobcats game. They showed him shooting hoops on the court, prior to the game. His first shot was a layup, which he missed, and looked awkwardly doing so.

How can such an athletic guy in one sport look so goofy playing another? Never understood that. My best sport growing up was basketball, but I wasn't the least bit uncoordinated playing football or baseball.

The Cleveland Cavaliers suspended center Andrew Bynum indefinitely Saturday for conduct detrimental to the team.

In addition, the Cavs will begin aggressively looking to trade Bynum, sources told ESPN.com.

Cleveland has until Jan. 7 to decide if it will guarantee his contract for the rest of the season. Bynum signed a two-year, $24 million deal with the Cavs last summer, but the team-friendly contract included only $6 million in guaranteed money.

The decision to suspend Bynum was made Friday, sources said. Bynum did not travel with the team to Boston for Saturday's game against the Celtics.

"It's a terrible situation internally with our team," All-Star guard Kyrie Irving said before the Cavs faced the Celtics. "It's something we have to get over."

It is unclear what led to Bynum's suspension. Cavs coach Mike Brown did not disclose any details regarding the suspension but expressed concern for his players.

"I'm worried about the guys in the locker room," Brown said prior to Saturday afternoon's game. "It's simple as that. In our business, there are a lot of ups and a lot of downs throughout the season.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10204879/andrew-bynum-cleveland-cavaliers-suspended-trade-block

I am shocked by this development. 

Lol Manziel is at the Hawks-Bobcats game. They showed him shooting hoops on the court, prior to the game. His first shot was a layup, which he missed, and looked awkwardly doing so.

How can such an athletic guy in one sport look so goofy playing another? Never understood that. My best sport growing up was basketball, but I wasn't the least bit uncoordinated playing football or baseball.

johnnyroundball_medium.gif