Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7: Chris Thompson Plugged Into The Redskins Offense

Lavarleap56

Writing off Royster?.

Yes, writing off i.e write something or someone off disregard, ignore, dismiss, regard something or someone as finished, consider something or someone as unimportant.

...Royster brings absolutely NOTHING to the roster. Royster has not shown any reason for us to keep him on this roster over the talent we have (he has no strengths) , the guy will be cut and probably not picked up by another organization unfortunately. Helu is a 24 year old running back who can't even stay healthy at 24, how can you count on a guy who has been out for a whole year and STILL isn't healthy enough to be a full participant in training camp if it started today?

We'll see one way or another come training camp. But, keep in mind that at this point Royster is more of a proven commodity to this team then Thompson or Jawan. And for a guy with 'no strenghts' that brings nothing to the roster he sure flashed every down back potential in this system when he was given the rock as rookie w/ 5.9 YPC.

Also, for some touting CT as heavily as you are you are standing on thin ground when you throw stones at a guy who 'isn't healthy enough to be a full participant in training camp if it started today' b/c CT would be standing right next to Helu as a NP.

Like I stated before, the front office is salivating over Chris Thompson he's a lock as long as he's healthy, and if Jawan shows he can carry the load for a few games(like helu has shown in the past) then i'm sorry but Helu Jr is gone lmao. 

You have 0 first hand knowledge of how this FO feels about CT, LL might b/c he's an insider. But,  either way the FO is salivating over everyone they draft, especially a Mike Shanahan FO because he believes in his guys.

And saying IF Jawan blah blah blah is an empty statement because IF Jawan is better then CT then what?

IF proclaimations like the one you make about Jawan are silly b/c any IF based claim could be true.

I figured this being a CT thread and all you would respond to somthing I've actually written about CT and his impact/role in this offense?

I think CT is gonna do really well. His role will likely be limited, at least early, but I suspect that this scheme will allow him to pull of some big chunk plays. He'll make people learn his name.

I think CT has the skillset to do well, but I wonder where/how he'll get his chances based on the way this offense is currently designed. And considering that even highly touted backs with his skillset in his situation often have small roles in their respective offenses as rookies. Even uber talented backs like a CJ Spiller or a LaMicheal James or a Robert Turbin. Or a better comparison for our offense look at Ben Tate, a RB w/ feature back potential, barely gets any burn unless Foster goes down.

And, if Morris goes down I can't see CT as the lead back I think that will fall to Helu or Royster.

Yes, writing off i.e write something or someone off disregard, ignore, dismiss, regard something or someone as finished, consider something or someone as unimportant.

We'll see one way or another come training camp. But, keep in mind that at this point Royster is more of a proven commodity to this team then Thompson or Jawan. And for a guy with 'no strenghts' that brings nothing to the roster he sure flashed every down back potential in this system when he was given the rock as rookie w/ 5.9 YPC.

Also, for some touting CT as heavily as you are you are standing on thin ground when you throw stones at a guy who 'isn't healthy enough to be a full participant in training camp if it started today' b/c CT would be standing right next to Helu as a NP.

You have 0 first hand knowledge of how this FO feels about CT, LL might b/c he's an insider. But,  either way the FO is salivating over everyone they draft, especially a Mike Shanahan FO because he believes in his guys.

And saying IF Jawan blah blah blah is an empty statement because IF Jawan is better then CT then what?

IF proclaimations like the one you make about Jawan are silly b/c any IF based claim could be true.

I figured this being a CT thread and all you would respond to somthing I've actually written about CT and his impact/role in this offense?

Evan Royster is not good, he would have been cut this year if hightower and helu were healthy, he made the roster because we had no more bodies. I'm sorry that you're offended because i'm not giving evan ANY glimmer of hope to make the roster, but he's not good he's going to be cut, he's just a body and I can guarantee it, and when he is cut i'll come and tell you "I told you so". 

How am I on thin ice for touting Chris Thompson like I do over evan royster? Of course he has no production he hasn't played yet, RG3 had no production prior to his first game either but we still touted him as well over what we had, so why can't we do the same with thompson? Shanahan said out of his own mouth he had a "1st or 2nd round grade on Chris Thompson before the acl injury" like I stated prior he's a LOCK to make the roster if he is healthy and when he makes the roster i'll also be sure to tell you "I told you so". lol

Like I said the last RB spot is between Jawan and Helu (Thompson is a LOCK to make the roster if healthy) so I don't know why you want to compare Chris and Helu's injury but if you want too i'm game Chris Thompson is on month 9 of an ACL injury, that's a 10-12 month injury. Roy Helu has Achilles tendonitis and at a recent point he wasn't even able to run(he's been out with that minor injury almost a YEAR) , Could you imagine helu with a severe injury like an acl injury? as slow as he recovers it might be a 3 year recovery for helu lmao (Joking of course).

Chris Thompson is going to run the role of Brandon Banks, we attempted to get Banks involved with the offense and use his speed but he just wasn't capable to make an impact, so we scrapped the plan. Chris Thompson will be in that role and make an impact immediately, he's bigger, faster, better vision, can catch and he's versatile enough to line up at RB and take carries if you need him too. 

So LL states the front office is salivating over Chris Thompson "You don't argue with him" but because I say it "You argue with me" because i'm not an insider? Aren't me and LL saying the same exact thing? What is there to argue about? Thompson is a LOCK to make the roster if healthy, accept it. The last spot is between Jawan and Helu because Royster is gone, and like I've stated before if Jawan shows he can carry the load like Helu has shown, Helu aka tendonitis will be released. No way they allow Jawan to be picked up off the free agent market if he shows he can carry the load, especially when Helu can not be counted on to stay healthy for a whole season. Now if Jawan struggles Helu makes the team and they put Jawan on the practice squad but yea the last spot is between jawan and helu.  

Evan Royster is not good, he would have been cut this year if hightower and helu were healthy, he made the roster because we had no more bodies. I'm sorry that you're offended because i'm not giving evan ANY glimmer of hope to make the roster, but he's not good he's going to be cut, he's just a body and I can guarantee it, and when he is cut i'll come and tell you "I told you so". 

Don't flatter yourself by thinking im offended by any of your opinions.  I don't care nor did I ask what your opinion of Royster was, I was stating the fact that you and others are writing him off.

Your opinions currently don't really mean a thing to me other then they're often based on things that are factually incorrect.

My statement about Royster was that you are writing him off, we should be in agreement on this because you are writing him off; I don't really care why its a different discussion for a different thread.

How am I on thin ice for touting Chris Thompson like I do over evan royster?

STOP. Where did I say you were on thin ice touting CT over Royster. Quote where I've said the above.

You are begining to post statements that you know are out right fabrications.

Here is what I said:

Notice I'm talking specifically about knocking Helu for not being a full participant at if training camp started today. BUT CT, the guy you are touting, wouldn't be a full participant either.

This is the definition of hypocritical.

....like I stated prior he's a LOCK to make the roster if he is healthy and when he makes the roster i'll also be sure to tell you "I told you so". lol

Oh, no you're gonna say I told you so? lol, about what? About an argument that you've fabricated in YOUR head where I think CT won't make the team? Well congrats, because I've only stated that CT can help the team. Where we differ is the level of impact.

Chris Thompson is going to run the role of Brandon Banks, we attempted to get Banks involved with the offense and use his speed but he just wasn't capable to make an impact, so we scrapped the plan. Chris Thompson will be in that role and make an impact immediately, he's bigger, faster, better vision, can catch and he's versatile enough to line up at RB and take carries if you need him too. 

This will likely be my last post with you and I'm gonna put you back on 'ignore' list. I like to talk football and its too tedious to waste my time posting with someone who takes the amount of liberties you do on subjects that you cannot and do not know the truth about. (Not to mention other aspects of your posting style..) We are rarely given glimpses to the reasons the staff makes gameplan/gameplay decisions. YOU DO NOT and CANNOT know how CT will be used. I would love to discuss the possibilities, but I'm not gonna have that discussion with someone who thinks they already KNOW exactly how CT will be used in this offense.

So LL states the front office is salivating over Chris Thompson "You don't argue with him" but because I say it "You argue with me" because i'm not an insider? Aren't me and LL saying the same exact thing?

(1) Quote where LL said that.

(2) Do you remember my response to your 'salivating' comment?

either way the FO is salivating over everyone they draft, especially a Mike Shanahan FO because he believes in his guys.

And remember YOU asked why.......

LL and myself actual discussions, he doesn't post at me in the manner you do. (his posts aren't filled with inaccuracies, baseless claims, misrepresented arguments and a general amount of childishness and needless antagonism)

Also, LL and myseld have a history; there is a level of respect there that we obviously don't have.

And LL has access that you don't. And even he'll admit that (a) his information isn't etched in stone ( B) sometimes he's just giving his opinion

nice article, great info, compare/contrast. I just love that we're adding more talent and the youth movement continues. Will anxiously wait and see what the young man can do.

Definitely excited for the upcoming season for many reasons(getting impact players back from injury, the new additions, etc.)  

Those videos were nicely illustrated, granted Thompson was going against college guys and not all NFL caliber/speed, ends, backers, safeties etc. But I'm sure his game will translate despite that. Hail!

Don't flatter yourself by thinking im offended by any of your opinions.  I don't care nor did I ask what your opinion of Royster was, I was stating the fact that you and others are writing him off.

Your opinions currently don't really mean a thing to me other then they're often based on things that are factually incorrect.

My statement about Royster was that you are writing him off, we should be in agreement on this because you are writing him off; I don't really care why its a different discussion for a different thread.

STOP. Where did I say you were on thin ice touting CT over Royster. Quote where I've said the above.

You are begining to post statements that you know are out right fabrications.

Here is what I said:

Notice I'm talking specifically about knocking Helu for not being a full participant at if training camp started today. BUT CT, the guy you are touting, wouldn't be a full participant either.

This is the definition of hypocritical.

Oh, no you're gonna say I told you so? lol, about what? About an argument that you've fabricated in YOUR head where I think CT won't make the team? Well congrats, because I've only stated that CT can help the team. Where we differ is the level of impact.

This will likely be my last post with you and I'm gonna put you back on 'ignore' list. I like to talk football and its too tedious to waste my time posting with someone who takes the amount of liberties you do on subjects that you cannot and do not know the truth about. (Not to mention other aspects of your posting style..) We are rarely given glimpses to the reasons the staff makes gameplan/gameplay decisions. YOU DO NOT and CANNOT know how CT will be used. I would love to discuss the possibilities, but I'm not gonna have that discussion with someone who thinks they already KNOW exactly how CT will be used in this offense.

(1) Quote where LL said that.

(2) Do you remember my response to your 'salivating' comment?

And remember YOU asked why.......

LL and myself actual discussions, he doesn't post at me in the manner you do. (his posts aren't filled with inaccuracies, baseless claims, misrepresented arguments and a general amount of childishness and needless antagonism)

Also, LL and myseld have a history; there is a level of respect there that we obviously don't have.

And LL has access that you don't. And even he'll admit that (a) his information isn't etched in stone ( B) sometimes he's just giving his opinion

Woahhhhh, obviously you are taking my posts too serious, yea I'd rather be on your ignore lists because it's obvious you are taking my posts personal lol. It's a message board I have not attacked you personally at all i'm guessing my "when he makes the team i'm gonna tell you I told you so" has you bent out of shape? This is nothing more than sports talk bro don't get your panties in a bunch, but yea put me on the ignore list please if you're going to be offended. 

And what does respect have to do with anything? I respect you in fact I respect every and anybodies opinion if you're posting on this board because everyone for the most part is a fan of the team. I'm not going to single out a few posters and respect them and not respect others. But I guess that's where we differ.

P.S we have had another argument about Thompson in another thread and you asked me I believe (correct me if i'm wrong) what production I thought he was going to bring us and how did I think he was going to be used, That is the only reason I posted that. You wanted me to give you a prediction on my estimate of CT's production with numbers and how he would be used I told you "I couldn't until I see him play in the preseason" So I give you how I "feel" he would be used and you blast me for it saying "I don't even know that so I can't predict it's just my opinion" lmao

But yea no reason to take posts personal, If it came off disrespectful that was not my intention bro, I'm talking about the redskins not attacking you and it's obvious you are taking it personal (Even though you'll say i'm not taking it personal) if you are talking about putting me on your "ignore" lists. But yea my apologies if you were offended, i'm just here to talk football not offend anyone. 

He has probably a 1 in 5 chance of being in the league 4 years from now.

Why don't we wait and watch what happens before we declare him a dynamic addition to this offense

Well that could be said for any drafted player that comes into the NFL.

Really no point in waiting to project what his skill set will bring to this offense. I've watched him through his college career and have always thought he is a natural runner in a zone scheme. Before his injury this year I talked a lot about how well he would fit the Shanahan offense, mostly on twitter. 

Skins have big plans for the kid. #HTTR

I think CT has the skillset to do well, but I wonder where/how he'll get his chances based on the way this offense is currently designed. And considering that even highly touted backs with his skillset in his situation often have small roles in their respective offenses as rookies. Even uber talented backs like a CJ Spiller or a LaMicheal James or a Robert Turbin. Or a better comparison for our offense look at Ben Tate, a RB w/ feature back potential, barely gets any burn unless Foster goes down.

And, if Morris goes down I can't see CT as the lead back I think that will fall to Helu or Royster.

Unfortunately there is not a big sample size from 2012 to project how a true 2 back system would be platooned in the current offense. We only have three games to go on.Week 1 vs the New Orleans Saints, Alfred took 53 snaps  (71%) , Helu Jr took 19 (25%) , and Royster took 3 (4%). 

Against New Orleans Helu Jr was used in a variety of ways, a few carries, a few passes off screens from the backfield & bubbles after motion. He came in as a change of pace guy to spell Morris and when Kyle wanted a different skill set at RB inn certain formations. Overall I think both were used to their strengths and presented various issues for the defense. 

It's no secret Helu was going into week 1, so his snaps declined in week 2 as he was pushed down into the third man in the rotation. Alfred took 31 snaps (52%), Royster took 15 snaps (25%), Helu took 6 snaps (10%). 

Week 3 vs The Bengals the skins were down big early and Alfred's snaps took a hit as you would expect. Alfred took 37 snaps (49%), Royster took 19 snaps (25%) before leaving the game in the 3rd, and Helu took 19 (25%). 

I think it's safe to say that if the game is in the Redskins control we will see a 70/25/5 split for the backs, not accounting for poor performance or injury. Should the Redskins be down in a game and in come back mode then we will likely see a 50/40/10 ish split. The splits will also fluctuate based on opponent and where the Redskins think they have the advantage to attack.

Thompson is a guy that I feel can make the most out of 8-15 touches a game, in fact I don't think he needs 20-25 carries to make his presence felt on the field. He has the skill set to take any play the distance, and he could give you 6 carries for 40 & 3-4 catches for 40 as well.

Thompson will get the opportunity to be on the field along with Alfred , think the "Banks role" .. I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility to see Thompson getting around 30 snaps a game in various roles once we hit mid season. 

Helu is a 24 year old running back who can't even stay healthy at 24,

I let this statement go before, but as I was updating the thread with relevant information about Helu coming off the injured players group I was struck, again about how silly the above statement is in regards to Chris Thompson's age and his own much more spotty injury history.

Anyway.....

.....and STILL isn't healthy enough to be a full participant in training camp if it started today?

http://www.washingto...lu-jr-returns-/

Redskins RB Roy Helu Jr. practiced Thursday in front

of reporters for the first time since he went on injured reserve with a

left toe injury last Sept. 26. Foot and ankle specialist Dr. Robert

Anderson cleared him to return to practice on Wednesday.

"It definitely has been a long time [since] feeling this healthy," Helu said.

The

toe injury, which followed a bout of left Achilles’ tendinitis, limited

Helu to only two carries and two rushing yards last season. It was a

major disappointment following a promising rookie year that included 640

rushing yards, 379 receiving yards and three touchdowns.

"It’s

fun to have him out there," Shanahan said. "Hopefully he keeps on

getting better and better. In the meantime, we have a guy that weighs

225 pounds [the Redskins list Helu at 215]. He’s under that 4.5 40, has

the receiving skills and the opportunity to make the big play. So it’s

good to have him back and a chance to compete."

Helu is a 24 year old running back who can't even stay healthy at 24,

I let this statement go before, but as I was updating the thread with relevant information about Helu coming off the injured players group I was struck, again about how silly the above statement is in regards to Chris Thompson's age and his own much more spotty injury history.

Anyway.....

>>.....and STILL isn't healthy enough to be a full participant in training camp if it started today?

http://www.washingto...lu-jr-returns-/

Redskins RB Roy Helu Jr. practiced Thursday in front

of reporters for the first time since he went on injured reserve with a

left toe injury last Sept. 26. Foot and ankle specialist Dr. Robert

Anderson cleared him to return to practice on Wednesday.

"It definitely has been a long time [since] feeling this healthy," Helu said.

The

toe injury, which followed a bout of left Achilles’ tendinitis, limited

Helu to only two carries and two rushing yards last season. It was a

major disappointment following a promising rookie year that included 640

rushing yards, 379 receiving yards and three touchdowns.

"It’s

fun to have him out there," Shanahan said. "Hopefully he keeps on

getting better and better. In the meantime, we have a guy that weighs

225 pounds [the Redskins list Helu at 215]. He’s under that 4.5 40, has

the receiving skills and the opportunity to make the big play. So it’s

good to have him back and a chance to compete."

Jesus christ!!!! let it go, it's been 7 days bro. You put me on the ignore list and FINALLY positive helu news comes so you unignore me to rehash this spat? how pathetic.

Like I stated Chris Thompsons injuries have been "serious" injuries I ridiculed helu about his because his was a "minor" injury in tendinitis, No reason why tendinitis should have you out for the time period it had helu out for when you're a professional athlete with the best trainers in the world rehabbing your injuries. Chris Thompson broke his back "serious freak injury" as well as tore his acl "serious freak injury" and recovered/recovering from both serious injuries very well. 

But i'm not going to entertain this anymore because I don't want you to take it serious/personal like you ALWAYS do. It becomes annoying talking to someone who always gets sensitive about everything if you're not in agreement with his or her opinions.Even though me and NLC were basically arguing the same point with different words, you felt slighted by my opinions but didn't feel slighted in the least with NLC's similar opinions. Then you stated it had to do with respect, you've known NLC a long time so you respect his posts though we were arguing the same freaking opinion with different wording. With our last discussion you obviously were taking things personal, so with all due respect I would much rather not have this discussion with you if you're going to get your panties in a bunch like usual.

Unfortunately there is not a big sample size from 2012 to project how a true 2 back system would be platooned in the current offense. We only have three games to go on.Week 1 vs the New Orleans Saints, Alfred took 53 snaps  (71%) , Helu Jr took 19 (25%) , and Royster took 3 (4%)................

Thompson is a guy that I feel can make the most out of 8-15 touches a game, in fact I don't think he needs 20-25 carries to make his presence felt on the field. He has the skill set to take any play the distance, and he could give you 6 carries for 40 & 3-4 catches for 40 as well.

RE: 2 back

With Alfred touting the rock I don't think there is a reason to platoon the backs in a 2 back system.

Over the years Mike (and his scheme spin offs) have used various combinations in the backfield. But typically when the find a lead dog, they ride them. And I don't think CT has the running style to sustain our offense if as the primary back-up/platoon back.

RE: Touches

IF CT makes the 53 and gets on the field I view him as a 3rd down back/specialty player but ultimately I don't see him getting a large enough number of carries and targets to make as big an impact as many expect (I would be pleasantly surprised if he matches Helu's total from his rookie season). But, CT has the ability to convert some of the 3rd downs (our weakest area as an offense) that Royster couldn't and that will help the offense. Its unforuntae CT has limited background on special teams; he seems to have the skillset to make an impact there.

Thompson will get the opportunity to be on the field along with Alfred , think the "Banks role" .. I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility to see Thompson getting around 30 snaps a game in various roles once we hit mid season.

It doesn't seem like the 'Banks' role was a part of the offense the they wanted to feature. Banks was mainly in the backfield on triple option. And outside of the Bengals game (where the offense was stagnant) I can't recall the triple option being used very much.

I guess we'll see. But highly productive offense returning with Griffin, Morris, Garcon, Davis, Morgan, Hankerson,  Moss and Paulsen I don't see a back-up/3rd down back playing that big role.

Unfortunately there is not a big sample size from 2012 to project how a true 2 back system would be platooned in the current offense. We only have three games to go on.Week 1 vs the New Orleans Saints, Alfred took 53 snaps  (71%) , Helu Jr took 19 (25%) , and Royster took 3 (4%)................

RE: 2 back

With Alfred touting the rock I don't think there is a reason to platoon the backs in a 2 back system.

Over the years Mike (and his scheme spin offs) have used various combinations in the backfield. But typically when the find a lead dog, they ride them. And I don't think CT has the running style to sustain our offense if as the primary back-up/platoon back.

RE: Touches

IF CT makes the 53 and gets on the field I view him as a 3rd down back/specialty player but ultimately I don't see him getting a large enough number of carries and targets to make as big an impact as many expect (I would be pleasantly surprised if he matches Helu's total from his rookie season). But, CT has the ability to convert some of the 3rd downs (our weakest area as an offense) that Royster couldn't and that will help the offense. Its unforuntae CT has limited background on special teams; he seems to have the skillset to make an impact there.

It doesn't seem like the 'Banks' role was a part of the offense the they wanted to feature. Banks was mainly in the backfield on triple option. And outside of the Bengals game (where the offense was stagnant) I can't recall the triple option being used very much.

I guess we'll see. But highly productive offense returning with Griffin, Morris, Garcon, Davis, Morgan, Hankerson,  Moss and Paulsen I don't see a back-up/3rd down back playing that big role.

RE: 2 backs... 

I wouldn't say he rides the back when he finds one.. Agree that when he finds a back then he gets a majority of the snaps but Shanny tends to be around that 70/30 if winning & 60/40 if losing. Alfred was damn good last season & Shanny still took him off the field for stretches, either to get a breath or to run some different things on offense that didn't fit him. 

RE: Touches...

Chris is making this team, not really a IF as long as he stays healthy through the pre-season. I'm still trying to figure out where you draw the line on touches per game to be considered a factor? To me, Chris is capable of touching the ball 10 time and giving you 70+ yards of offense. I do get the impression that the opportunity is there for him to have a role in the offense that will make them more explosive. 

I'm also curious why you don't feel Thompson is anything more than a 3rd down back.. ? Size?

RE: Banks..

Banks sucked so they didn't get to really unveil that portion of the offense last season. They tried a few times but he couldnt get it done, it is a lot more than just the triple option.

Helu isn't out of the woods yet, I hope he gets back & stays back but cartilage issues are always tricky. 

Anyone figure out how to quote certain portions of the response? this RE stuff is pretty annoying... 

I agree with you 100% LavarLeap56! Chris Thompson makes the roster guaranteed as long as he is healthy. Another side note I think Royster is as good as gone and the last roster spot is between Jawan and Helu, If Jawan shows he can carry the load with his size like Ray Rice (similar size) has, helu is gone. 

Banks was a paltry 158 lbs soaking wet. I was all about size at the RB but it hard to say it matters all the time with guys as small as Sproles or light as Jamaal Charles at 198 are running circles around the league. I think CT will be fine in our system.

Thompson is even bigger than Sproles, a lot of people don't realize that. I agree Chris Thompson will be fine, he's going to be a guarantee on the roster if he's healthy. 

I think 70/30 is closer to riding a back then platooning 2 backs. And I'm not saying that they Mike won't take Alfred's off the field at times. But, Alfred has proven to be a lead back and I don't see Alfred's role in the offense being reduced.

Chris is making this team, not really a IF as long as he stays healthy through the pre-season. I'm still trying to figure out where you draw the line on touches per game to be considered a factor? To me, Chris is capable of touching the ball 10 time and giving you 70+ yards of offense. I do get the impression that the opportunity is there for him to have a role in the offense that will make them more explosive. 

I said if CT makes the 53; which is different from whether CT makes the team. He could make the team (practice sqaud) and still not be on the 53. But anyway...It depends on how big a factor. I would hope for numbers similar to Helu's rookie season. I've stated from the outset that CT could help the offense even if he's a 3rd down back/specialty player. My question has been to the people expecting a huge impact from CT and that question is where are his touches gonna come from. (you've already given where you think they'll come)

Will finish later.

I think 70/30 is closer to riding a back then platooning 2 backs. And I'm not saying that they Mike won't take Alfred's off the field at times. But, Alfred has proven to be a lead back and I don't see Alfred's role in the offense being reduced.

I said if CT makes the 53; which is different from whether CT makes the team. 

Sort of like the difference between being on thin ice and thin ground, right?  :)

Chris is making this team, not really a IF as long as he stays healthy through the pre-season. I'm still trying to figure out where you draw the line on touches per game to be considered a factor?

Asking this question makes me think you aren't understanding my position, although clearly stated several times in this thread. I think CT or a back of his skillset could be factor. However I don't think CT will be a huge factor as people have suggested. But since most don't define what they consider 'huge  impact' it makes this discussion slippery and subjective.

But, like I said before a minimum of Roy's impact as a rookie would be my starting point for 'huge impact'.

To me, Chris is capable of touching the ball 10 time and giving you 70+ yards of offense. I do get the impression that the opportunity is there for him to have a role in the offense that will make them more explosive. 

I'm also curious why you don't feel Thompson is anything more than a 3rd down back.. ? Size?

10 touches 70 ypg would be 1120 yards of total offense I would love that, but I think its unlikely.

80 carries is gonna have to come from somewhere. We're already 3rd in the league in rushing attempts at 519. Lets assume Rob gets fewer carries down from 120 to 80. Where are the other 40 carries gonna come from? Take the rock out of Alfred Morris hands 40 times? Or are we gonna run the ball even more? (which I personally would be in favor of)

Imo one of the biggest factors that kept our offense on schedule is Alfred's ability to make positive gains/limit negative yards by simply not going down. Alfred has the strength to make yards by running through contact.

And that is a skill that you want to have on the field and its a skill that when compared to Morris that CT lacks.

I can't see CT running through contact like Morris or even Helu could do when the initial point of contact comes at or near the LOS.

RE: Banks..

Banks sucked so they didn't get to really unveil that portion of the offense last season. They tried a few times but he couldnt get it done, it is a lot more than just the triple option.

I hate when discussions devolve into player X sucks because it impossible to have an objective discussion about a player when such a personal sentiment is expressed. But, regardless of whether you feel Banks 'sucked' (btw 7 carries 36 yards 5.1 ypc) we can only know with certainty the product they put on the field. And if they wanted to use that triple option look more they would have and they didn't have to use Banks. Morgan was an option 3 carries 25 yards 8.3 ypc.

I think we again go down a slippery slope when we begin speculating on the intentions of the team as opposed to product they put on the field. And I don't know what you mean by 'that portion' of the offense.

I don't forsee triple option/Banks type plays becoming a bigger part of the offense going forward. Griff is already at 120 attempts. I don't think the offense is gonna run more read-option then they did last year.

I think CT is gonna do really well. His role will likely be limited, at least early, but I suspect that this scheme will allow him to pull of some big chunk plays. He'll make people learn his name.

My previously stated thoughts on CT:

I think CT has the skillset to do well, but I wonder where/how he'll get his chances based on the way this offense is currently designed. And considering that even highly touted backs with his skillset in his situation often have small roles in their respective offenses as rookies. Even uber talented backs like a CJ Spiller or a LaMicheal James or a Robert Turbin. Or a better comparison for our offense look at Ben Tate, a RB w/ feature back potential, barely gets any burn unless Foster goes down.

Archived