Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7: Chris Thompson Plugged Into The Redskins Offense

Lavarleap56

While checking out a few Redskins message boards I noticed many fans peggingChris Thompson as just a third down pass receiver out of the backfield. While I agree he gives Washington a dynamic pass threat from the Running Back position, he is at his best running the football, and he will add an explosive element to the Redskins running attack in 2013.

A casual observer would look at Alfred Morris and Chris Thompson as a the Redskins version of “Thunder and Lightning” but they are not as different as you might think. In fact they share a lot of common traits but one just works at a different speed than the other. Morris and Thompson both have great patience,vision, balance, cutting ability, and one cut discipline to excel in the Shanahan zone run game. Both backs also never go out of bounds on their own and always stay in bounds fighting for yards.Fact is that Chris Thompson has everythingMike Shanahan looks for in a Running Back and then some.

So what separates Thompson from Morris?

What separates Thompson from Morris is the ability to set defenders up cutting on a dime at full speed. Straight line speed is nice but Thompsons ability to be explosive in and out of lateral movements all while reading the next level of defenders is unique and exciting. You miss one tackle on this guy and he will be in the endzone.

One of the question marks on Thompson is how successful can he be in the NFL at 5’8″ and 187 lbs?  The answer is extremely successful in the Redskins offense. Many people like to compare him to Darren Sproles, but the player Thompson’s game resembles the most  is Warrick Dunn who had a great career at 5’9″ and 187 lbs. There is over

under former coach Urban Myer. In these videos Alex Gibbs praises Warrick Dunn as one of the best Running Backs ever to run his system along with Terrell Davis and Former Redskins Clinton Portis. Watching these videos will give you a good idea about how Thompsons skill set will be on display in Washington.

Continue Reading..

http://httr24-7.com/film-room/chris-thompson-plugged-into-the-redskins-offense/

I think our offense is going to be even more exciting/interesting next season, between our editions, more time in our system and our core staying together.

I also think our defense will be able to give the ball back to them more often.

Interesting when you have the #2 back in the entire NFL and you're more excited to see the newest one.

This was what I was arguing in the Chris Thompson thread a week after the draft. Lot's of Redskin fans are down on Chris Thompson because they have never seen him play, that kid is a WEAPON, he's going to be a fan favorite early on. He loves to run up the tackles, he doesn't shy away from contact which is shocking for his size, he has great hands and he's EXPLOSIVE, with blazing speed. Thank you for this article, this was exactly what I was arguing with a previous poster. 

Good article.  It's a little hard to compare some of these plays.  Like the last one shown against the Saints, it seems like Tyler Polumbus got stonewalled when Morris wasn't expecting it.  There was no lane, so he was forced to bounce it way outside.  But the first one against the Saints seemed like something Thompson could have gotten more yards with.

The play with Evan Royster is one where Tyler Polumbus did something well against Kruger, and that one had the lane that Thompson exploited at FSU.  That was a perfect example, really got the point across.

I'm really looking forward to Alfred Morris piling on carries and yards (secretly hoping he tops 3k yards after two seasons), but I completely understand the need for a Change of Pace guy (and also feel like Morris can have the same season despite a bigger use of a CoP guy).  Our running game was a bit too methodical, which I feel gave defenses more reassurance in their efforts to attack RG3.

Are there examples of what Roy Helu was capable of doing in 2011?  On the surface, it seems like Helu and Thompson are fighting it out for playing time in this role.

I'm giddy. Shanny now has the franchise at a point where we're now stacking talent. No longer are we simply looking for a starter. We're looking for more to challenge what we have. Provided everyone stays healthy. This years backfield will be dangerous. Morris is the incumbent starter. Thompson is a change of pace back that brings dynamic options. Helu comes back off of injury. He provided good speed, great inside running, and sure hands out of the backfield. That's all being said w/out evwn mentioning the other drafted RB and the oossibility if Royster getting his head back into the game.

I don't see where these backs are the same.  Thompson appears to be a shifty, speedy back who can fake you out of your jock while seeming to never slow down.  Morris is a slower, hammering back who refuses to go down, often dragging tacklers along for the ride.

I think they are a good complement to one another

I don't see where these backs are the same.  Thompson appears to be a shifty, speedy back who can fake you out of your jock while seeming to never slow down.  Morris is a slower, hammering back who refuses to go down, often dragging tacklers along for the ride.

I think the author means they are the same when it comes to actually running the ball. A lot of people, and I mean a lot, think that Thompson was going to be a 3rd back that can come in on passing situations. But he actually can hit holes just as good as Morris can ( based on his college tapes). You're right that they might have different styles of running and they compliment each other, but I don't think that was the argument that the author was trying to make.

I think the author means they are the same when it comes to actually running the ball. A lot of people, and I mean a lot, think that Thompson was going to be a 3rd back that can come in on passing situations. But he actually can hit holes just as good as Morris can ( based on his college tapes). You're right that they might have different styles of running and they compliment each other, but I don't think that was the argument that the author was trying to make.

Yeah, that was my interpretation.  The author compared their vision as a runner and identifying lanes.  I think the article did a pretty good job in that regard, and all I can say is that I agree.  One of the issues with Helu (that I remember) was that he did not have the best vision.  Well hopefully Thompson can match what Morris brings to the table in that regard.

I am truly excited of the potential Thompson in our offense. GREAT article, I keep reading draft reviews of Thompson as only 'good straight line speed...' but apparently he also has the one cut ability which makes perfect sense why Shanny took him.

+5

They are a compliment of each other but that doesn't mean they are or have to be drastically different running backs.You want all of your RBs to share a similar base line skill set with each bringing a little something different to the table. Lets use the original Thunder & Lightning as a example since that is what your vision of Morris & Thompson seems to be.

Dayne & Tiki were polar opposites at the RB position, but they did have short lived success. Dayne was the power back & Tiki was the elusive "speed" back. Early on the duo worked well with each other and defenses had a tough time dealing with the combination, until it was clear that Ron Dayne was a classic front side runner who wasn't a threat to cut back against a over aggressive defense, If the play was designed to go to the 2 hole then Dayne was taking it to the 2 hole regardless. Barber was a well rounded back who was a threat to hit the 2 hole, bounce outside, or even bend it backside vs  an over pursuing defense. The Giants were limited to running certain plays with Dayne in the game and defenses countered by bringing the SS to the strong side of the formation to overload the front side to slow down Dayne since he wasn't a threat to take it backside. A few other backs that fit this front side category are Brandon Jacobs, Marion Barber, and so on. 

Morris & Thompson are compliments of each other but they share the same base line skill set all of the Shanahan backs share.. The Redskins can have Morris or Thompson in the game and a Defense isn't tipped off to a certain section of the playbook due to limitations of the RB. Morris or Thompson can/will hit the designed hole, bounce outside, or even bend it backside into a cut back lane. Your classification of Morris also doesn't fit exactly, Alfred is elusive and almost always makes the first guy miss rather easily. Morris & Thompson run with the same vision, patience, and consistency as one another with the main difference being the speed of Thompson.

Good article.  It's a little hard to compare some of these plays.  Like the last one shown against the Saints, it seems like Tyler Polumbus got stonewalled when Morris wasn't expecting it.  There was no lane, so he was forced to bounce it way outside.  But the first one against the Saints seemed like something Thompson could have gotten more yards with.

The play with Evan Royster is one where Tyler Polumbus did something well against Kruger, and that one had the lane that Thompson exploited at FSU.  That was a perfect example, really got the point across.

I'm really looking forward to Alfred Morris piling on carries and yards (secretly hoping he tops 3k yards after two seasons), but I completely understand the need for a Change of Pace guy (and also feel like Morris can have the same season despite a bigger use of a CoP guy).  Our running game was a bit too methodical, which I feel gave defenses more reassurance in their efforts to attack RG3.

Are there examples of what Roy Helu was capable of doing in 2011?  On the surface, it seems like Helu and Thompson are fighting it out for playing time in this role.

Good article again, I'm really high on Thompson and you mentioned a lot of points I was gonna cover in terms of our tackles being pushed back and denying the outside. I know defenses will make a point to get that outside contain where they can live with CT at 197 cutting back to traffic over the 220 lb Morris who will run over a couple of guys before he goes down. But CT has that quick 1-2 cut, no dancing moves that could break some ankles.

I mean pick your poison though, Fred running over your grill or CT cutting past you. But lets see what the kid can do first. He's not going up against Wake Forest in the NFC East

Agree on the Tackle being pushed back. On that play I was using it as a example of out running pursuit angles rather than saying Thompson would've run that better than Morris. I think he would've gained a few more yards but that's minor in the overall scheme of things.  

Agree on the Tackle being pushed back. On that play I was using it as a example of out running pursuit angles rather than saying Thompson would've run that better than Morris. I think he would've gained a few more yards but that's minor in the overall scheme of things.  

Ah, gotcha.  And yeah I agree.  It's a good article.  HTTR24-7 is pumping out a lot of stuff lately, and I'm enjoying it.

While checking out a few Redskins message boards I noticed many fans peggingChris Thompson as just a third down pass receiver out of the backfield. While I agree he gives Washington a dynamic pass threat from the Running Back position, he is at his best running the football, and he will add an explosive element to the Redskins running attack in 2013.

Count me as one of the people that view Thompson as more of a 3rd down back then a true back-up RB used to spell the lead back.

And although I like Thompson I don't see him getting a big enough slice of the pie(targets) to make a big impact like many expect.

But, I agree that he brings an explosive change of pace element to complement Morris running style. I think his biggest opportunity to contribute will be in the passing game. CT will help convert some 3rd down 'checkdowns' into 1st downs and provide match-up problems to the defense in the passing game if Kyle chooses. The personnel a defense uses to match-up with CT could be used as a pre-snap run vs pass key.Kyle could motion CT from the backfield to the los as a receiver which would make it harder for defenses to hide their coverage man vs zone.

But, if Morris is out for an extended period I think the nod will go to Helu, provided of course he's healthy.

Count me as one of the people that view Thompson as more of a 3rd down back then a true back-up RB used to spell the lead back.

And although I like Thompson I don't see him getting a big enough slice of the pie(targets) to make a big impact like many expect.

But, I agree that he brings an explosive change of pace element to complement Morris running style. I think his biggest opportunity to contribute will be in the passing game. CT will help convert some 3rd down 'checkdowns' into 1st downs and provide match-up problems to the defense in the passing game if Kyle chooses. The personnel a defense uses to match-up with CT could be used as a pre-snap run vs pass key.Kyle could motion CT from the backfield to the los as a receiver which would make it harder for defenses to hide their coverage man vs zone.

But, if Morris is out for an extended period I think the nod will go to Helu, provided of course he's healthy.

Shanny & Bobby T have big plans for Thompson.. Going to be a fun year. Helu has a big uphill battle to even make this team.

Shanny & Bobby T have big plans for Thompson.. Going to be a fun year. Helu has a big uphill battle to even make this team.

If Helu is healthy and considering his past its a big IF. But, if healthy I think Helu is a lock.

Whatever plans they have for CT I still wonder where the opportunity is going to come from?

Barring injury to Morris I don't see him poaching enough carries off Morris plate.

But, I guess it all depends on how much currently unquantified production you expect from CT.

We might be talking about the same level of impact...*shrugs*

In an interview this week Thompson seemed to be overwhelmed still with the playbook. He may be fine with it in 3 months, but we don't know that yet. We also need to see how his pass blocking is at this level.

In general I think it's hard to get extremely excited about a player whom we still haven't seen in pads. I am looking forward to seeing how he turns out though! This whole preseason is going to be fun because there are some good stories to watch in all 4 quarters of all 4 games.

In an interview this week Thompson seemed to be overwhelmed still with the playbook. He may be fine with it in 3 months, but we don't know that yet. We also need to see how his pass blocking is at this level.

In general I think it's hard to get extremely excited about a player whom we still haven't seen in pads. I am looking forward to seeing how he turns out though! This whole preseason is going to be fun because there are some good stories to watch in all 4 quarters of all 4 games.

He's not overwhelmed with the playbook.. know this for a fact.

If Helu is healthy and considering his past its a big IF. But, if healthy I think Helu is a lock.

Whatever plans they have for CT I still wonder where the opportunity is going to come from?

Barring injury to Morris I don't see him poaching enough carries off Morris plate.

But, I guess it all depends on how much currently unquantified production you expect from CT.

We might be talking about the same level of impact...*shrugs*

I know for a fact if Thompson is healthy he's making the roster, I think the last spot will be between jawan and helu because royster is as good as gone. If Jawan shows he's capable of carrying the load (in case of injury) like helu has shown, helu is gone, even if he is healthy. 

I know for a fact if Thompson is healthy he's making the roster, I think the last spot will be between jawan and helu because royster is as good as gone. If Jawan shows he's capable of carrying the load (in case of injury) like helu has shown, helu is gone, even if he is healthy. 

Oh yeah? Well I know (state an opinion here) for a fact! lol

I think you and a bunch of other people are writing Royster and Helu off; but this thread ain't about them.

A healthy Helu beats out Jawan in my book. But, we'll seen come training camp.

I think you and a bunch of other people are writing Royster and Helu off; but this thread ain't about them.

I like Helu Jr a lot but I don't like the cartilage issues that have kept him sidelined for almost a year.Would love to see a healthy Helu on this team but I have serious doubts if that is possible.

I actually agree with some people in the organization that feel like Royster is just a guy..

Chris Thompson is a beast.  The ones who might question his abilities are only regurgitating something they read somewhere.

Watching him play several games, the guy has the ability to make some "wow" plays.  And he does so consistently.  Watch his Wake Forest highlights...and yes I know it's just Wake Forest. :)

I personally think that Shanny is gonna lighten Al Mo's load considerably if CT is healthy.  I think he's gonna try to create a two headed monster at RB, versus a huge dose of Morris and a sprinkle of CT.  It'll be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Writing off Royster? The same guy who got blown up by a cornerback in the panthers game? Royster brings absolutely NOTHING to the roster. Royster has not shown any reason for us to keep him on this roster over the talent we have (he has no strengths) , the guy will be cut and probably not picked up by another organization unfortunately. 

Helu is a 24 year old running back who can't even stay healthy at 24, how can you count on a guy who has been out for a whole year and STILL isn't healthy enough to be a full participant in training camp if it started today? The good news for him is (if) Helu gets cut he'll be picked up by another team. 

Like I stated before, the front office is salivating over Chris Thompson he's a lock as long as he's healthy, and if Jawan shows he can carry the load for a few games(like helu has shown in the past) then i'm sorry but Helu Jr is gone lmao. 

Personally I would love to keep Morris Helu Jawan and Thompson on the roster but if we only keep 3 backs helu or jawan will be released(not including royster because it's a waste of time he's as good as gone in my book) , and if Jawan shows he can carry the load/passblock there's no way he gets cut for helu. 

Archived