Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7: Chris Thompson Plugged Into The Redskins Offense

Lavarleap56

CT ability hasn't even been showcased yet. When he lines up with RG3 then you will see how fast this guy is.  Morris and CT in the backfield at the same time will be electric. 

And that's exactly my point from my early post. Its not that CT lacks ability its that he hasn't shown it yet. And because he hasn't shown it yet what is the risk of placing him on the practice squad?

And that's exactly my point from my early post. Its not that CT lacks ability its that he hasn't shown it yet. And ecause he hasn't shown it yet what is the risk of placing him on the practice squad?

Why?  They drafted him to add speed to the offense.  He is the only person on this team to go 1 cut and boom gone.  We haven't had that since Moss in 2005. 

Why?  They drafted him to add speed to the offense.  He is the only person on this team to go 1 cut and boom gone.  We haven't had that since Moss in 2005. 

You are talking about potential, lets not pretend that CT is the first player to have potential....remember Alridge?

CT may have 1 cut and boom gone ability but he has not shown it on the field.

And, actually Helu has shown 1 cut homerun ability. 

Which leads me back to my previous post, in a full circle:

And that's exactly my point from my early post. Its not that CT lacks ability its that he hasn't shown it yet. And because he hasn't shown it yet what is the risk of placing him on the practice squad?

You are talking about potential, lets not pretend that CT is the first player to have potential....remember Alridge?

CT may have 1 cut and boom gone ability but he has not shown it on the field.

And, actually Helu has shown 1 cut homerun ability. 

Which leads me back to my previous post, in a full circle:

And that's exactly my point from my early post. Its not that CT lacks ability its that he hasn't shown it yet. And because he hasn't shown it yet what is the risk of placing him on the practice squad?

Because he has more value making the 53 man roster where he can demonstrate his speed and ability on game day. Why waste him away on the practice squad based solely on the concept of him "not showing it yet?" That idea is arguable anyway as many believe he "showed" his ability on the punt return and a few run plays. Thompson possess's attributes that currently, no other running back on the team possess. You can't risk the practice squad for a player than can immediately improve your teams speed..

IMO anyway.

I think its pretty obvious that Banks and Thompson have similar skills that Shanahan wants to incorporate into the offense. Those skills are quickness and lightning fast cuts and speed. Banks could not seem to deliver and always seemed to hesitate too much so I expect Thompson to make the cut, to be the punt returner and to be part of a 3 back backfield at times and heck, I would like him to be our Darren Sproles. Split him out occasionally, screen passes, and flair passes. Helu and Thompson are both going to get opportunities because I, as well as the Shanahans, still have not idea if Helu can stay healthy for any length of time. THAT is why Thompson will be on this team.

Its aweaome that helu looks great right now, I might have to temper my expectations for CT.

Ct has had the worst showing of our rookies so far, mostly due to the early fumbles which coupled with his size, makes one wonder if he is sturdy enough for this level.

He doesn't look quite comfortable yet though, whether it's due to scheme or injury recovery, I'd assume it's mostly the latter.

On the positive side, there were some flashes. That punt return was ballsy. No one fields a punt like that. The quick moves then jets were impressive. I thought his runs were highly predictable and Kyle prob knows this. A little disguise and he'll be alot more effective, but we'll save that for the regular season.

I thought the Oline blocked better for Keiland Williams than CT, they did a ton of pitches for Chris and he looked good, but the fumbles have got to go, he said he didn't fumble after his Sophomore season, so I'll attribute it to his getting back on the field..If he turns into the back I think he could be, we could have one of the most exciting run attacks in recent memory..

Shanny has been running CT on only inside runs to see what he can do. If CT has a good day returning kicks against TB, he will make the squad, be active on game day, and inserted for spot duty with the offense where he will be used only on the outside. Evan royster will be cut.

if we put CT on the practice squad, he will be snatched up instantly.  Teams always need speed.  

Banks had a far better pre-season then Thompson when he was a rookie and still made the practice.

CT film thus far is spotty at best.

CT needs to show it on film to be a PS squad risk.

Teams don't sign guys to there 53 from the practice squad on potential alone.

Banks had a far better pre-season then Thompson when he was a rookie and still made the practice.

Really?  Tom Compton was ready to be snatched up and that's why we promoted him.  

Tom Compton had good film and still cleared waivers and was on the practice for most of the season.

He proves my point, not yours.

umm, you said people don't pick up guys from 53 based on potential. Tom Compton didn't have any good film last year.  Stop kidding yourself. 

Chris Thompson is a WAYYYYYYYY better player than Banks! Again Chris Thompson is recovering from an ACL injury, you must not have watched Chris Thompson when he was 100% healthy. 

Look at RG3 after his knee injury last year he wasn't the same player, still successful but he wasn't' the same RG3. I'm sure RG3 will struggle early on because that's what happens when you come back from a knee injury. 

Bobby Turner is one of the greatest running back coaches of all time and he was SALIVATING for Chris Thompson and despite his fumble issues he's still going to be on the roster that speaks volumes for his talent when he's healthy. 

umm, you said people don't pick up guys from 53 based on potential. Tom Compton didn't have any good film last year.  Stop kidding yourself. 

Use the quote feature, its there for a reason.

And maybe you might not be able to identify good film when you see it. But  Compton, compared to CT, thus far had better film and a  better camp.

Chris Thompson is a WAYYYYYYYY better player than Banks! Again Chris Thompson is recovering from an ACL injury, you must not have watched Chris Thompson when he was 100% healthy. 

Look at RG3 after his knee injury last year he wasn't the same player, still successful but he wasn't' the same RG3. I'm sure RG3 will struggle early on because that's what happens when you come back from a knee injury. 

Bobby Turner is one of the greatest running back coaches of all time and he was SALIVATING for Chris Thompson and despite his fumble issues he's still going to be on the roster that speaks volumes for his talent when he's healthy. 

Try to accurately follow the conversation or use the quote. I said Banks had a far better rookie preseason then CT.

I had no idea you know Bobby Turner personally. But regardless: how you feel, about how Bobby Turner feels, (as ridiculous as that notion really is) turns out to be irrelevant. This discussion you jumped in on is about whether CT's actual on the field performace  thus far in preseason/training camp makes him a sought after enough player that another team would sign him to their 53 man roster.

I say that if CT roster was based on his play at RB (not PR) he would make the PS and not get picked off by another team and sign to their 53 man roster:

He's played the 3rd most snaps and is tied for the 3rd most attempts.

He has the lowest yards per carry at 3.2

He has 2 fumbles in only 18 carries.

He hasn't been strong in pass protection and he hasn't shown the ability to run hard through contact nor handle big hits.

That's just pure honest observation.

Here's hoping that CT shows us more in the Tampa Bay game.

Hail-

Try to accurately follow the conversation or use the quote. I said Banks had a far better rookie preseason then CT.

I had no idea you know Bobby Turner personally. But regardless: how you feel, about how Bobby Turner feels, (as ridiculous as that notion really is) turns out to be irrelevant. This discussion you jumped in on is about whether CT's actual on the field performace  thus far in preseason/training camp makes him a sought after enough player that another team would sign him to their 53 man roster.

I say that if CT roster was based on his play at RB (not PR) he would make the PS and not get picked off by another team and sign to their 53 man roster:

He hasn't been strong in pass protection and he hasn't shown the ability to run hard through contact nor handle big hits.

Hail-

Because he's trying to recover from an ACL injury that's my whole point. He can't show you himself because he's not himself, the coaches know what he offers that's why he's going to make the roster. If preseason determines someones worth then the rams should cut Tavon Austin because he's been a bum in preseason. He's been outplayed by every receiver on the rams roster this preseason. As a special team player he's had flashes but as a WR he's been LOST. 

Some players you have to judge off potential, you can't judge off of current production, especially rookies who are coming off knee injuries. Do you remember how average Roy Helu was last year in the 2 games he played? He was dealing with an injury and now he looks explosive again. Lets at least wait until Chris Thompson is 100% percent healthy before we start giving up on a guy after 2 preseason games. 

No I don't know bobby turner but HTTR an insider stated Chris Thompson was a bobby turner pick which seems like HTTR is right because no matter how you or anyone feels personally about Chris Thompson, every roster report I see, he's pegged as the #3 RB despite the fumble issues this preseason. 

Because he's trying to recover from an ACL injury that's my whole point. He can't show you himself because he's not himself, the coaches know what he offers that's why he's going to make the roster. If preseason determines someones worth then the rams should cut Tavon Austin because he's been a bum in preseason. He's been outplayed by every receiver on the rams roster this preseason. As a special team player he's had flashes but as a WR he's been LOST. 

Some players you have to judge off potential, you can't judge off of current production, especially rookies who are coming off knee injuries. Do you remember how average Roy Helu was last year in the 2 games he played? He was dealing with an injury and now he looks explosive again. Lets at least wait until Chris Thompson is 100% percent healthy before we start giving up on a guy after 2 preseason games. 

No I don't know bobby turner but HTTR an insider stated Chris Thompson was a bobby turner pick which seems like HTTR is right because no matter how you or anyone feels personally about Chris Thompson, every roster report I see, he's pegged as the #3 RB despite the fumble issues this preseason. 

Agree's with RG3Hunna, by Darrelgreenie's logic I'm surprised we don't have more threads dedicated to the potential unfulfilled  Spurrier '02 team and why didn't they get to the SB because they were taking names in that preseason, or maybe Dallas should have gone with Steve Walsh over Aikman after the '89 season, or Babe Laufenberg should have led us to SB 22.

I'm not flaming, just saying trust our coaches, they know more than us no matter how hard we try to believe we know as much. I'm just a big CT fan and I want to see him make this team..

Why even bother quoting a post if you aren't gonna respond to the actual post?

So you're saying that CT is still hurt?

And who is giving up on CT? Are you? Because I'm not, if you were actually responding to my post (which would require reading it) you would know that I'm not giving up on CT.

FYI Bobby Turner picks the backs for Mike Shanahan going back to Denver.

Don't get bent out of shape because I'm objective about your man crush.

And in case you want to reply to my actual post here is the main part of it below:

I say that if CT roster was based on his play at RB (not PR) he would make the PS and not get picked off by another team and sign to their 53 man roster:

Hail and Cheers!

Agree's with RG3Hunna, by Darrelgreenie's logic I'm surprised we don't have more threads dedicated to the potential unfulfilled  Spurrier '02 team and why didn't they get to the SB because they were taking names in that preseason, or maybe Dallas should have gone with Steve Walsh over Aikman after the '89 season, or Babe Laufenberg should have led us to SB 22.

I'm not flaming, just saying trust our coaches, they know more than us no matter how hard we try to believe we know as much. I'm just a big CT fan and I want to see him make this team..

I'm a fan of Chris Thompson and like you I want him to make the team.

The rest of your post has nothing to do with me nor anything I've said.

So you're saying that CT is still hurt?

And who is giving up on CT? Are you? Because I'm not, if you were actually responding to my post (which would require reading it) you would know that I'm not giving up on CT.

FYI Bobby Turner picks the backs for Mike Shanahan going back to Denver.

Don't get bent out of shape because I'm objective about your man crush.

Yes he's still hurt, obviously he's not 100%, he's not nearly as explosive as the Chris Thompson I've seen throughout his college career. 

Wait first I tell you Bobby Turner picked Chris Thompson himself and you respond.

"I had no idea you know Bobby Turner personally. But regardless: how you feel, about how Bobby Turner feels, (as ridiculous as that notion really is) turns out to be irrelevant."

Then I respond, no I don't know him personally but HTTR our redskins insider said Bobby Turner picked him himself and has been salivating over him which shows HTTR is correct because it shows he's going to make the roster despite his fumble problems.

So you respond with

"FYI Bobby Turner picks the backs for Mike Shanahan going back to Denver.

Don't get bent out of shape because I'm objective about your man crush."

Obviously it's you who is getting bent out of shape and where do you get this notion that I have a man crush for Chris Thompson? You have a very narcissistic personality, when someone doesn't agree with your post you get very upset, you should take a deep breath sir, tomorrow will be a better day. lol

I was impressed to no end when I saw CT running up and catching that short punt at full speed last week.

I have been waiting to see a PR go get one of the lame ducks for years.  Yes i grew tired of seeing our PRs waving their arms and otherwise doing nothing at all, not even running up full speed to make a fair catch and hold that field position.

The way I see it, CT is plugged into the skins return game. We have no one else that has looked better. Maybe Moss but I doubt that otherwise he would have been our return man for years now.

I was impressed to no end when I saw CT running up and catching that short punt at full speed last week.

I have been waiting to see a PR go get one of the lame ducks for years.  Yes i grew tired of seeing our PRs waving their arms and otherwise doing nothing at all, not even running up full speed to make a fair catch and hold that field position.

The way I see it, CT is plugged into the skins return game. We have no one else that has looked better. Maybe Moss but I doubt that otherwise he would have been our return man for years now.

Have to admit I was very surprised he got caught.  I thought given everything I'd heard about his speed he'd be gone.

The fact that the Skins took CT in the 5th round, knowing he's coming off of a significant injury, tells me they are willing to be patient with him and that they loved what they saw of him on film. I have a feeling those two fumbles aren't going to mean much compared to his potential. CT needs time to get acclimated to the NFL and Shanahan loves late round RB picks....you could argue that there's never been a coach better than Shanny at getting RB steals late in the draft.

I also believe that Coach Shanahan loves speed. Think about how many chances he gave Brandon Banks and all of the ways he tried to get him involved in the offense. The Skins have an interesting problem at RB and QB.....I'd like to see them trade a couple of them rather than cut guys like Royster, K. williams, Grossman or Pat White. I don't see them giving up on CT. Plus, I think RG lll loves CT as well.

Archived