Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

[UPDATE] HTTR24-7; Film Sessions: Leonard Hankerson and Josh Morgan's 2012 Season Targets and Catches (VIDEO)

KCClybun

I'm not overly concerned with how physical WRs are.

I can count on 1 hand how many times I saw Marvin Harrison get hit.

My friends used to laugh at how Marvin could make a tough catch and avoid all contact and lay down on the turf/grass in the same motion.

Hankerson is a talented player with a currently unknown ceiling.

He might be a player who needs more reps/targets before he gets comfortable.

Unfortunately for him there are limited chances: we have some productive WRs in front of him, (other then the #1 WR) last year's targets were spread around and the WRs were platooned/rotated, we are currently a run first team and pass the ball far less then most teams

One thing I think should help Hankerson is that this is really his first true off-season. The off-season that he was drafted was the lockout, and last year, he was recovering from injury.

I think having a true NFL off-season, coaches can work with him on some technique things that they might now have had a chance to before.

Heck, it even might help him with his drops. I think that he was a guy who really could have benefited from an off-season program his rookie year, but he didn't get it.

I dunno. Might be nothing, but it might help.

Is there going to be a Film Session for Logan Paulsen? I think he's one of the most underrated players on the team.

I knew you'd want one on Logan, Greenie, lol.

I'm almost finished with Josh Morgan, I'll probably start Logan's next.

A few tidbits on Hankerson from last year:

At some point the Redskins and RGIII will get WR Leonard Hankerson more involved in the offense. Over the last 5 weeks Hankerson by no means is a target monster but he utilizing the opportunities he gets as his PPO indicates. At 0.49 PPO Hankerson leads the Redskins receiving core while being second in yards over that span yet doing it on the least amount of catches. Hankerson has only managed to be on the field 39% of the time over the last five weeks but at some point the Redskins 2nd year player could breakout...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/05/a-fantasy-throwdown-playoff-football-fix/

Performance Based Value: Washington Redskins

Undervalued

1. Alfred Morris, Halfback Cap: $420K, PBV: $9.8m, Value Differential: +$9.4m

2. Robert Griffin III, Quarterback Cap: $3.8m, PBV: $11.3m, Value Differential: +$7.5m

3. Ryan Kerrigan, Outside Linebacker Cap: $2.0m, PBV: $7.7m, Value Differential: +$5.7m

4. Will Montgomery, C – Cap: $1.5m, PBV: $4.6m, Value Differential: +$3.1m

5. Rob Jackson, OLB – Cap: $620k, PBV: $2.9m, Value Differential: +$2.3m

6. Perry Riley, ILB – Cap: $680k, PBV: $2.7m, Value Differential: +$2.0m

7. Leonard Hankerson, WR Cap: $650k, PBV: $2.3m, Value Differential: +$1.6m

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/03/01/performance-based-value-washington-redskins/

(following Bucs game):

Game Notes

- Leonard Hankerson is fifth in league in missed tackles forced among receivers with five; ahead of him are Percy Harvin, Steve Smith (Carolina), Davone Bess and Victor Cruz.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/02/refo-redskins-buccaneers-week-4/

6 drops of 57 targets? People trash him as if he dropped 56 of them. A ton of those drops the coverage was actually pretty good defense. It really bugs me when I hear that fans want him cut asap.

I admit, the kid is no Andre Johnson, and he does play like a softy. He also needs improvement in finishing his routes and getting YAC. This comes with having something I call the "it factor". It's a hunger for the first down or the endzone. Adrian Peterson has it, so does Anquon Boldin. The hunger can be developed when you have something to play for, like you're spot on the roster. He had a rough game vs the Steelers, but I remember the whle WR core dropping a load the entire game.

I would like to see more urgency out of Hankerson this up coming year, that should improve his inconsistent catching

Is there going to be a Film Session for Logan Paulsen? I think he's one of the most underrated players on the team.

That's the thing, there are only so many balls around so overall numbers mean what? Blocking and contribution to the overall offense is what counts. I don't know if the team is ever going to have a true no. 1 or if that matters or not. 

I'm not overly concerned with how physical WRs are.

I can count on 1 hand how many times I saw Marvin Harrison get hit.

My friends used to laugh at how Marvin could make a tough catch and avoid all contact and lay down on the turf/grass in the same motion.

Hankerson is a talented player with a currently unknown ceiling.

He might be a player who needs more reps/targets before he gets comfortable.

Unfortunately for him there are limited chances: we have some productive WRs in front of him, (other then the #1 WR) last year's targets were spread around and the WRs were platooned/rotated, we are currently a run first team and pass the ball far less then most teams

I understand your position however Marvin Harrison was like 5'11" 170 pounds with a lighting quick first step and superior route running, you would expect him to do that. When you're 6'2" 210 (Hankerson) no reason why you should be falling down not even taking contact. At 6'2 210 pounds your size is your strength, use it to punish CBs. Hakeem Nicks and Hankerson are the same size, heck they look like the same receivers, they even have the same huge hands, the difference is Nicks shows physicality even if he loses physical battles a LOT, all i'm asking is Hankerson show that consistently like nicks does. At the 1:23 mark he did show that and it took 3 DB's to bring him down, that shows how much of a load he could become if he showed effort. 

When you're a big receiver you'll never be super fast so you have to use your size to your advantage to punish cornerbacks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e04Q5AihGD4

Watch how Hakeem Nicks, fights for yards, Hankerson just gives up too easy, hopefully with his new muscle he gained over the offseason he'll begin to fight for yards like we all know he can. 

The thing that concerns me about Hankerson is his lack of effort after the catch, look at 6:46 it's the 4th quarter your team is down by 6 in a must win situation (it's your chance to make a play) you catch a slant with daylight (By NFL standards) he's content with the catch sees stevie brown (5'11" 221 pounds) and ducks down. There was an extra 3-5 yards at the LEAST on that play. The talent is there that's whats so frustrating, but you wonder "Does he want it? or is he just going through the motions?" 

I've been less than impressed with Hankerson, since he's come back from his inury.  I liked the way he ran his routes --before his injury.  Now, he seems a little less less 'confident' and doesn't dictate the play to his defender.  (Please reference how he played during the game when he went down with his injury.)

Hank's deep ball skills --- C-.  I didn't see anything that encouraged me about his special value beyond the 15 yard range.

Granted, Hankerson is effectvely a rookie/sophmore WR and still learning the receiving game.  But  frankly, I'm beginning to think Hankerson's cieling might be as a #3 possession receiver with minimal YAC.  (And that assumes he doesn't slip back into his habit of dropping passes.)   Just my impression from his sophmore season, of course -- he might be better with a year of experience.

Regardless, this is a big year for Hankerson, and will shape his NFL career.  He may become a late bloomer, but I think for 2013 -- it's Morgan who wins the competition for #2 WR.  Right now, Hankerson didn't showing me much more in 2012 than what some of the new Skins pass-catcing TEs and RB can deliver. 

I understand your position however Marvin Harrison was like 5'11" 170 pounds with a lighting quick first step and superior route running, you would expect him to do that. When you're 6'2" 210 (Hankerson) no reason why you should be falling down not even taking contact. At 6'2 210 pounds your size is your strength, use it to punish CBs. 

The thing that concerns me about Hankerson is his lack of effort after the catch, look at 6:46 it's the 4th quarter your team is down by 6 in a must win situation (it's your chance to make a play) you catch a slant with daylight (By NFL standards) he's content with the catch sees stevie brown (5'11" 221 pounds) and ducks down. There was an extra 3-5 yards at the LEAST on that play. The talent is there that's whats so frustrating, but you wonder "Does he want it? or is he just going through the motions?" 

You mean the play where he catch the slant with his arms extended living his mid section exposed to two potential hitters, gets up field, dives for more yards before getting tackled by Stevie Brown, AFTER he gets 14 yards? And Pierre scored on the very next play, so it's not like this was a game breaking play. He did what he was supposed to do; secure the first down. 

Look at the white jerseys. I count 4 white jerseys to one blocker. How much extra yardage was really there?

Hakeem Nicks doesn't use his size to punish anyone. I will say he has much better body control than Hank at this point, Nicks gets his body in a better position, making it harder for people to straight up tackle him. But Nicks ain't Brandon Marshall, he's not running dudes over. More likely he makes a catch, a guy whiffs on a tackle because how of Nicks positioned himself, and Nicks makes his plays after that. He breaks tackles, but it's not because of his physicality of because he punishes DBs. He has great body control and it's hard to get a clean hit on him.

Devin Thomas didn't pah out for the Skins, but let's not devalue the effort he made to avoid being brought down by would-be tacklers.  He made a few electrifying runs, based on his wild, thashing efforts to resist being dragged down.

Thomas' problems stemmed from the fact he was not a precise route runner -- and the 'ad-hoc' stuff he thrived on in college, didn't work well in the NFL. 

But I can dimly remember times when Thomas impressed me with his never-say-die scrapping away for extra YAC while on the field.   I didn't see that from Hankerson, who I suspect was still trying to protect his hip.

That's the thing, there are only so many balls around so overall numbers mean what? Blocking and contribution to the overall offense is what counts. I don't know if the team is ever going to have a true no. 1 or if that matters or not.

I agree 100%. Too often production is judged by looking at 'counting' stats without looking at context/situation.

Here's a more qualitative view of WR production from Football Outsiders:

DYAR means a wide receiver with more total value. DVOA means a wide receiver with more value per play.

.............................DYAR/DVOA

Calvin Johnson......#1/#19 (Catch rate 60%)

R.Tex. Cobb..........#12/#9 (Sick..77 effing%)

Jordy Nelson.........#17/#6 (67%)

Q.Boldin................#29/#32 (57%)

L.Hankerson............#39/#24 (Catch rate 67%)

Reggie Wayne.....#40/#58 (55%)

Jeremey Maclin....#52/#61 (56%)

Hakeem Nicks......#57/#62 (53%)

D.Amendola.........#64/#68 (62%)

DeSean Jackson.#70/#71 (51%)

I knew you'd want one on Logan, Greenie, lol.

I'm almost finished with Josh Morgan, I'll probably start Logan's next.

Cool, look forward to seeing Morgan. 

I love watching Griffin in these types of breakdowns, nice work.

I'm probably asking too much but if you do a Paulsen vid can you include a few of his blocking snaps? eg. 1-vs-1 against DEs?

Devin Thomas didn't pah out for the Skins, but let's not devalue the effort he made to avoid being brought down by would-be tacklers.  He made a few electrifying runs, based on his wild, thashing efforts to resist being dragged down.

Well you have to make an extra effort when the only thing you can do is run screens, slants and 9 routes. :-)

And despite Devin's "extra" effort, he and Hank had roughly around the same yards per catch in their respective sophomore seasons.

Cool, look forward to seeing Morgan. 

I love watching Griffin in these types of breakdowns, nice work.

I'm probably asking too much but if you do a Paulsen vid can you include a few of his blocking snaps? eg. 1-vs-1 against DEs?

It's hard to do blocking snaps. I usually look at the play-by-play breakdowns to help me cut. I'm apartment hunting this week, but if I have some extra time I'll see if I can go back through.

And cutting these receiver videos really showcases how damn good Robert was. I'm noticing stuff I didn't even notice during the season. And they haven't even started throwing Go routes outside the numbers yet. With that happens, good God is it going to be fun times in Washington, :-)

You mean the play where he catch the slant with his arms extended living his mid section exposed to two potential hitters, gets up field, dives for more yards before getting tackled by Stevie Brown, AFTER he gets 14 yards? And Pierre scored on the very next play, so it's not like this was a game breaking play. He did what he was supposed to do; secure the first down. 

Look at the white jerseys. I count 4 white jerseys to one blocker. How much extra yardage was really there?

Hakeem Nicks doesn't use his size to punish anyone. I will say he has much better body control than Hank at this point, Nicks gets his body in a better position, making it harder for people to straight up tackle him. But Nicks ain't Brandon Marshall, he's not running dudes over. More likely he makes a catch, a guy whiffs on a tackle because how of Nicks positioned himself, and Nicks makes his plays after that. He breaks tackles, but it's not because of his physicality of because he punishes DBs. He has great body control and it's hard to get a clean hit on him.

So because Pierre Garcon scored the very next play that excuses Hankersons lack of effort after the catch in that situation? How was his ribs exposed pause the film at 6:50 Hankerson is ducking away from contact before Stevie Brown even makes an attempt to tackle him lmao. Let me remind you Hankerson is 6'2" 210 pounds, there's no excuse for that when you're that big. I'm a HUGE Hankerson fan, my favorite college football team is miami, but I will not excuse hankersons lack of effort after the catch, especially when he is 6'2" 210 pounds. 

Never said Nicks punishes defenders like Brandon Marshall, maybe I worded it wrong and should have been more specific, what I mean is Nicks gives an effort after the catch. After he catches the ball he's looking for more yards even if it's a half a yard it's still valuable this is a game of inches. Nicks is constantly looking for yards after the catch you rarely ever see nicks catch it and just drop (though it does happen some I can admit with every receiver even nicks) yet Hankerson it's a common thing, it looks like he's scared of contact which is unbelievable when you're 6'2" 210 pounds, but this is what my novice eyes sees hopefully he improves.  

I mean look at 4:21 seconds, there's no excuse for that lack of effort after the catch, in order for him to be successful at this level he needs to change that mentality immediately because he does have all the tools to be a #2 for a long time. 

Just finished Josh.

49 Receptions
78 Targets
7 Drops
510 Yards
2 Touchdowns

The signing of Josh Morgan was met with some raised eyebrows a year ago, but the D.C born Redskin quickly won people over with his work ethic and attitude…and then lost it after a boneheaded but completely overblown penalty versus the Rams. Still, Morgan seemed to redeem himself in the eyes of most fans with his hard running and a few spectacular catches.

http://httr24-7.com/film-room/film-sessions-josh-morgan-2012-all-regular-season-targets-and-catches/'>Click here to read more.

Well you have to make an extra effort when the only thing you can do is run screens, slants and 9 routes. :-)

And despite Devin's "extra" effort, he and Hank had roughly around the same yards per catch in their respective sophomore seasons.

His effort was better than Hanks after he had the ball in his hands, no doubt about it. Your argument about the same yards per catch doesn't hold much weight because Hankerson plays in an offense that is a lot more about intermediate to deep routes than Zorn's extremist West Coast short passing offense in which the majority of receivers on any given play are running 6 yard hook routes.

However, Hankerson is much smoother in the actual act of catching the ball than Thomas, so it looks like he's giving less effort even though he's not.

Still, one of the things about Hank that he can certainly improve on when it comes to physicality is how he positions his body to get the ball, especially on deep passes. He has the body type to really dominate DBs on balls that are just thrown up, yet we've seen none of our QBs trust him enough to just throw the ball up to him. It's telling that he's usually not the first or second target in the end zone with his size. You'd think he'd be the no. 1 option. He certainly has the potential to be.

I'm not sure why talking about Hankerson's ability to improve is a slight against him. Again, as it stands right now he's actually a pretty good no. 2 WR right now. I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with that, but I think he'd fit perfectly in an offensive scheme like Norv Turner's. It's just if he could improve in the things I've mentioned, he can become an absolute stud. Why wouldn't we want that and hope for that?

Not saying you don't think the same... it just seems a little like you're getting defensive when anyone mentions Hank's "issues". I mean, I do the same thing when I see him getting bashed or called "soft", so I get it lol. But I think it's fair to say, at the very least, Hank doesn't use his size nearly enough and that, if he did, he could be an elite guy.   :)    

His effort was better than Hanks after he had the ball in his hands, no doubt about it. Your argument about the same yards per catch doesn't hold much weight because Hankerson plays in an offense that is a lot more about intermediate to deep routes than Zorn's extremist West Coast short passing offense in which the majority of receivers on any given play are running 6 yard hook routes.

However, Hankerson is much smoother in the actual act of catching the ball than Thomas, so it looks like he's giving less effort even though he's not.

I'm not sure why talking about Hankerson's ability to improve is a slight against him. Again, as it stands right now he's actually a pretty good no. 2 WR right now. I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with that, but I think he'd fit perfectly in an offensive scheme like Norv Turner's. It's just if he could improve in the things I've mentioned, he can become an absolute stud. Why wouldn't we want that and hope for that?     

No no, I don't take it as a slight at all. I think he's underestimated a bit (and I think guys like Thomas and Kelly are a smart part o the reason why), but I also think he has room to improve.

I also absolutely agree on the body positioning thing. If he learns to control his body more and shield himself from DBs I think he'll develop in a big way.

No no, I don't take it as a slight at all. I think he's underestimated a bit (and I think guys like Thomas and Kelly are a smart part o the reason why), but I also think he has room to improve.

I also absolutely agree on the body positioning thing. If he learns to control his body more and shield himself from DBs I think he'll develop in a big way.

Totally agree, he's underrated here. No doubt about it. And you'd think after watching the likes of Kelly and Thomas we'd appreciate him more, not the other way around!

A couple of good examples of what Hankerson needs to do more of are in the Josh Morgan highlights starting at about 5:00. The two catches he makes while guys are all over him are something we have yet to see consistently from Hank, really.

My biggest hope is that Hankerson develops that ability to use his body better in the way great WRs seem to have a knack of doing, even smaller ones like Steve Smith pull it off and he's at an obvious disadvantage. I don't want to see Hank just end up being the smooth route runner he is right now and that's it. He has the potential to be great and if he stays the same he's just good.      

Archived