Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The journey of a small school prospect

AJ Down at the One

Here is an interesting article looking at the difficulties that small school prospects face in getting an opportunity to achieve their dream. It looks at the difficulties of getting an agent to represent you, getting an opportunity to show yourself before scouts and the financial tolls of trying to make it to the next level - worth a read:

http://www.downattheone.com/NFL/The-journey-of-a-small-school-draft-prospect

Thoughts, opinions?

I never knew about how there are "bowl games" that are there just to take kids' money and just how much was expected of recruits even at the high school level. I figured those kids at the football camps run by the FBS programs were invited and were paid for (except maybe those who really wanted to learn and weren't acclaimed athletes.) It gave some insight into what it's really like for a guy and how devastating it must be when things don't work out.

"Here is an interesting article..."

Yes. Welcome to the growing throng of folks who join, or mainly post, to drive traffic to their sites. ;)

But, seriously, welcome. :)

Though seriously, why is it allowed. I mean, at least Em, over time, has made a modicum of effort to pretend like he's here for reasons beyond that. These folks ought to be terminated, without mercy I say.:ols:

Well, Fore, amigo, maybe someday you will be in a position to implement all the many board management moves you favor and share with us. :)

Should you ever be in that position, I predict people here will really learn what a nazi mod is like. :pfft:

Though I have at times thought of a separate sub-forum (shared maybe with the madden forum), titled something like "self-promotional forum" for anyone who posts here mainly to drive traffic to their own sites (barring a very few special exceptions). :cool:

But there are good reasons that it hasn't been done (even just in my still not wanting to actually go ahead and do it)...yet. :evilg:

The most obvious being, especially during off-season, that if it's Redskins related, we like to give maximum intelligent opportunity for interesting discussions.

Well, Fore, amigo, maybe someday you will be in a position to implement all the many board management moves you favor and share with us. :)

Eh, I've learned to ignore people in the Tailgate for the most part. I think all I ever do now is notify you guys when a fight is brewing in an attempt to save other members.

Should you ever be in that position, I predict people here will really learn what a nazi mod is like. :pfft:

I don't have the right dispostion for it, and I'm very aware of that. Would not be a good idea;)

Though I have at times thought of a separate sub-forum (shared maybe with the madden forum), titled something like "self-promotional forum" for anyone who posts here mainly to drive traffic to their own sites (barring a very few special exceptions). :cool:

Full support.

But there are good reasons that it hasn't been done (even just in my still not wanting to actually go ahead and do it)...yet. :evilg:

The most obvious being, especially during off-season, that if it's Redskins related, we like to give maximum intelligent opportunity for interesting discussions.

You guys need to develop some sort of Miller test equivalent for acceptable self-promotion...

• Whether "the average person, applying contemporary community standards", would find that the work, taken as a whole, appeals to the Redskins interest,
  • Whether the work depicts or describes, in a patently offensive way, self-promotion specifically defined by applicable board law,
  • Whether the work, taken as a whole, lacks serious literary, artistic, political, scientific, or football value.

:pfft:

Although, really, if guys post content to a thread to promote their own content and don't participate in that thread or anywhere else on the board, for that matter, then my largely irrelevant and entirely uninfluential opinion should be that a NNT is in order. ESPECIALLY if they spam other boards with the same nonsense like this guy. :2cents:

Although, really, if guys post content to a thread to promote their own content and don't participate in that thread or anywhere else on the board, for that matter, then my largely irrelevant and entirely uninfluential opinion should be that a NNT is in order. ESPECIALLY if they spam other boards with the same nonsense like this guy. :2cents:

Yeah, I wonder why he didn't use "The Monk" over here.

http://igglephans.com/iggboard/showpost.php?p=1700078&postcount=1

Around these parts, that name might have been well received.

Frankly, I worry about this issue with my Prism stuff and whether I am going too far. Initially, and still for the most part I share because I think the stuff is very cool. I also like sharing the stuff with a community I have been a part of for ten years. Still, I wonder sometimes if I'm going over the top. I suspect and when or if I do I'll be told, but there is a weird combo of pride, self promotion and sharing with some of my Tailgate threads.

Truth be told too it still kind of blows my mind that I have a weekly show to share that airs in DC chi ny and Mia.

You guys need to develop some sort of Miller test equivalent for acceptable self-promotion...

• Whether "the average person, applying contemporary community standards", would find that the work, taken as a whole, appeals to the Redskins interest,
  • Whether the work depicts or describes, in a patently offensive way, self-promotion specifically defined by applicable board law,
  • Whether the work, taken as a whole, lacks serious literary, artistic, political, scientific, or football value.

Dude, seriously, that comment is utterly awesome. However, even though I'm a lawyer, I read "Miller" as the beer. You know, like, after drinking this Miller, would that website be worth going to as a Skins fan. LOL

Frankly, I worry about this issue with my Prism stuff and whether I am going too far. Initially, and still for the most part I share because I think the stuff is very cool. I also like sharing the stuff with a community I have been a part of for ten years. Still, I wonder sometimes if I'm going over the top. I suspect and when or if I do I'll be told, but there is a weird combo of pride, self promotion and sharing with some of my Tailgate threads.

Truth be told too it still kind of blows my mind that I have a weekly show to share that airs in DC chi ny and Mia.

This is why you shouldn't lose any sleep over it. It's the people who pop in and say, "Come to my site!" then rarely/never come back to participate that are on shaky ground.

Yeah Burg, the difference is not only did you contribute to this site for years before getting your show, you continue to contribute to the board in other threads, even while promoting your show. And you're actually a Skins fan, something these other folks aren't for the most part. That's why everyone likes you and your show, and these other guys can go kick rocks.

What about that bonehead who posts in the draft thread shilling for his site and contributes absolutely nothing??

Archived