Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7| The Redskins Need a “Tavon Austin” To Expand The Offense In 2013

Lavarleap56

Desean Jackson was more highly rated suppose to be a 1st round lock but size knocked him down to what pick?

Its not out of the realm of possibility he is sitting there at 51 but doubtful.

yea jackson went 49th in the 2nd rnd but he's the reason why teams wont let that happen again!

This class is full of talent, but there isn't a dominant receiver in the class thus Austin kind of shines more than he would have in other classes. He reminds me of Chris Johnson and how he shot up the draft boards due to his 40 time. Austin is different then Johnson in the sense he's more of a receiver, but it's the same concept.

I think people get caught up in speed sometimes when it takes more than speed to be a good runner. Banks had speed but was indecisive and strung plays out too much looking for the big play. A utility back doesn't have to be a burner, In fact I prefer elusive and short area quickness over long speed. Kyle puts guys in position to make plays 1 on 1 in space, a guy who can make the first guy miss consistently would do wonders.

I like Swope but see him more as a pure slot the more I study him. He was pretty impressive at the combine but 100% of that doesn't translate for him on the football field like it does with Tavon Austin. I see Swope as more of a long speed guy that if he gets a step or a crease he can go the distance. Tavon is a guy that can make 3-4 guys miss and make his own crease for 6.

I mostly agree with this point especially in the context of how the player would be used as mentioned here. I'd prefer shiftiness, elusiveness, decisiveness over pure speed. But having that breakaway speed to me is a nice bonus. And a running back like Riddick who runs a 4.68 doesn't seem to have that. Darren Sproles is shifty, gets open and hard to pin down but he also has the speed to take it to the house.

Spend your money there, and live with whatever happens on defense one more year. Sure, the secondary will still suck, but if you're building for the future, you don't want to lose components of the offense that's already working and make both the offense and the defense average next year, instead of having a true strength in the offense. Then you can load up on defense the next off-season with 20+ million of cap room.

I totally agree with this. I would rather have a stellar offense and mediocre defense rather than a slightly above average offense and defense this year.

This would be best for RG3's development. Next year when we have more cap we can upgrade the defense and make a run for the whole enchalada.

Wait, Ryan Swope can't be fast....he's a white dude.

Swope could be the next wes welker lol... but i hear the guy has a history of concussions. If we had picks and money , I would definitely want percy harvin in the role. RG3 would benefit greatly from harvin!

I could see the team looking for an Tavon Austin type of player, tho I doubt the team will get Austin. The team does need explosive players on offense. In the modern NFL offense, having a guy who can run the WR screen and take an end around has become a staple.

Could Robinson be that guy? Well, he's got a lot to work on, including becoming a better blocker. Last year, he seemed to only be effective in a very limited sphere.

They don't like Aldrick that role. Triple option isn't a neccesisty but it will still be involved In the offense.
*Shrugs* Don't see what Banks did that Aldrick couldn't; at least with Aldrick you can be fairly certain the defense will respect his receiving enough to put a CB/NB on him.
I think they didn't show off the passi g game from those formations because they didn't trust Banks as a WR
I got kinda lost here. I'm not sure which formations you're refering to the spread or the pistol formations?

If you're talking specifically about the formations in the articles then my question would be why run the plays with Banks as opposed to Aldrick or someone else if receiving ability was the limiting factor?

If you're talking about the spread formations in general:

I don't think the passing game and specifically the spread passing game was a focus for the offense by choice not because of personnel. The WRs corps was deep enough to go 4 wide without Banks.

You want to protect RG3 more than spread teams out a little more. My one issue last year was all of the tight formations. Worked great but allowed defenses (by design ) to keep base personnel in the field. I like how San Fran and Seattle ran Read Option while spreading teams out, forcing more corners on the field and less LBs.
I noticed that early on during the season and broached the topic in a few threads. Kyle's offense wasn't spread option it was almost solely pistol option. And imo spread option is the future. I bet that's what the Eagles offense will look like. Green Bay/Dolphins spread passing formations + read option.
I do feel strongly that the skins need a utility 3rd down/change of pace back or a utility/slot guy.
Maybe I'm getting hung up on the word need. I can definetely see the utility of adding that type of player.

Imho the offense is already very good. Top 5 good. Top 5 running game. Top 5 passing game (not by net yardage but by efficiency FBO). My thinking/speculation about the passing game is from the outside in. IF anything prevented the passing game from featuring more spread formations/spread passing game imo it wasn't the receiveing corps/WRs.

It was the pass protection or (lack thereof) in the non-playaction based straight drop back passing game. And maybe a sprinkle of playcaller/gameplan hesitancy to put too much on a rookie QB too soon. (as evidenced by some of the 3rd and long playcalls runs/screens etc)

With that being said if they did intend to feature the type of plays in this article more often these are the players that fit in my mind: (not all the players are even available; just interesting speculating about what the offense could look like)

-Devin Hester

-Percy Harvin

-Reggie Bush

-Danny Woodhead

-Dexter McCluster

Draft:

Kenjon Barner

Onterio McCalebb

Kerwynn Williams

Cierre Wood

Robbie Rouse

edit: Theo Riddick

BTW-I appreciate the detail in the article, solid work.

I like Swope. I wonder if a guy like Goodwin has some moves to him in space besides the blinding speed if so he can be lethal. Goodwin said in an interview that the Skins are one of three teams who have shown him the most interest.

Goodwin is faster than Austin, you can see it on tape. He's a bit better as a WR, but he's nowhere near as agile as Austin. Few can do what Austin does without losing much speed. Goodwin has a little shake to him, but does not have the moves Austin does in space.

---------- Post added March-7th-2013 at 03:16 PM ----------

Draft:

Kenjon Barner

Onterio McCalebb

Kerwynn Williams

Cierre Wood

Robbie Rouse

Barner and Rouse do not have the acceleration you need.

Maybe for you; for me its not about speed/acceleration its about running and catching ability and they have it. What I don't know about any of these guys that would be an important factor is their blitz pick-up and chip blocking.

Goodwin is faster than Austin, you can see it on tape. He's a bit better as a WR, but he's nowhere near as agile as Austin. Few can do what Austin does without losing much speed. Goodwin has a little shake to him, but does not have the moves Austin does in space.

Agree but I don't see how we have any shot at drafting Austin.

With that being said if they did intend to feature the type of plays in this article more often these are the players that fit in my mind: (not all the players are even available; just interesting speculating about what the offense could look like)

-Devin Hester

-Percy Harvin

-Reggie Bush

-Danny Woodhead

-Dexter McCluster

Draft:

Kenjon Barner

Onterio McCalebb

Kerwynn Williams

Cierre Wood

Robbie Rouse

BTW-I appreciate the detail in the article, solid work.

As an ND fan , i think you can easily fit Theo Riddick in the draft scenario

Ace Saunders looks to be a decent option in the middle rounds. My question is why is he not ranked higher than the middle rounds with his speed and pass catching ability?

bad combine numbers is the only thing I can think of. If you watched him play you seen the quicks an change of pace each time he touched the ball, imo.

Maybe for you; for me its not about speed/acceleration its about running and catching ability and they have it. What I don't know about any of these guys that would be an important factor is their blitz pick-up and chip blocking.

So speed and acceleration don't matter? We're talking about replacing and improving upon what Brandon Banks role was in the offense. So heavy doses of end arounds, bubble screens, and the like.

Blitz pick up, chip blocking, etc, this isn't what the article or thread is talking about. Rather, it's about a players ability to force a defense to stretch out. To prevent them from stacking the box to try and shut down Morris or put a hit on RG3.

As an ND fan , i think you can easily fit Theo Riddick in the draft scenario
I like Riddick, but was Cierre Wood always seemed like the better runner to me.

Better vision, smoother more fluid runner. As a ND fan what did you think of Wood vs Riddick? I assume Riddick is the better pure receiver......

I like Riddick, but was Cierre Wood always seemed like the better runner to me.

Better vision, smoother more fluid runner. As a ND fan what did you think of Wood vs Riddick? I assume Riddick is the better pure receiver......

Enjoyed watching both this season but notice both have different skill set, Theo actually took over RB duties towards end of the season. Theo would fit perfectly in our system, with change of speed and good hands out of the backfield, not hesitate to drop his shoulder into somebody either. His 40 wasn't the best at combine but guarantee he will pick that speed up.

Cierre does have good vision and smooth rusher but will need to work a little bit in order to make it big in the next level. He ran faster than riddick and expect him to be an intriguing prospect for the right team

Austin is fast as hell but can he block? All our receivers are excellent blockers and Shanahan prioritizes that over flat out speed.

how many times did you see banks blocking? blocking is about positioning you don't have to be stronger than the defender just in his way for 3-4 secs.

So speed and acceleration don't matter? We're talking about replacing and improving upon what Brandon Banks role was in the offense. So heavy doses of end arounds, bubble screens, and the like.

Blitz pick up, chip blocking, etc, this isn't what the article or thread is talking about. Rather, it's about a players ability to force a defense to stretch out. To prevent them from stacking the box to try and shut down Morris or put a hit on RG3.

Of course speed and acceleration matter. But its your perception that
not mine. Their acceleration/speed is not an issue for me I think they have enough otherwise I wouldn't have listed them on my list.

And i'm not talking about only replacing Banks. I'm looking at these players as more then just a 'Bank's replacement' I'm looking at them as a change of pace/3rd down back that can also flex out and fill a 'Banks' role. Therefore the blitz pick and chip blocking are critical factors in whether or not a RB sees the field. So even if this article or thread doesn't explicitly mention it savvy fans will realize that if a defense knows a RB can't blitz pick-up it gives away the playcall whenever they're in the game.

Archived