Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HuffPost: 'Atheist Experience' TV Host Shocked By Caller's Statement About Child Rape

alexey

Rate Katherine Webb's hotness.  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Katherine Webb's hotness.

• Yes, she is a beautiful woman.
    • She is attractive.
    • She's no more attractive then women I see at the gym, grocery store, mall etc.
    • I don't get the hype.

It seems some people aren't sure on the difference between atheism and agnosticism

Agnostic Atheist would say: I cannot know if a god exists, and do not believe one does.

Gnostic Atheist would say: I can know if a god exists, and do not believe one does.

Agnostic Theist would say: I cannot know if a god exists, and do believe one does.

Gnostic Theist would say: I can know a god exists, and do believe one does.

Theism has to do with belief

Gnosticism has to do with knowledge

I consider myself an Agnostic Atheist, because I can't say for sure a being doesn't exist outside of our knowledge, but I don't have any reason to think one does.

Ah, a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices is a religion. And here I was thinking that the read option was just an offense. Though I guess we do sort of worship RG3.

(this is only slightly more of a stretch than calling atheism a religion)

We appear to have this:

1) entity is said to exist which is morally good

2) this entity is capable of preventing all child rapes

3) this entity fails to prevent all child rapes

So how can we resolve this? I see following options:

1) said entity does not exist

2) this entity is not capable of preventing rapes

3) this entity is not morally good

4) not preventing child rapes is actually morally good and/or necessary but I am not able to understand why

You seem to be arguing for 4). I may not understand God's behavior, but I'm not ready to accept something morally wicked based on faith. I'm going to go ahead and disagree with God on this one.

How about you? Would YOU prevent all child rapes if you could?

By your standard of moral why would God stop at child rapes?

Can good exist w/o evil?....or free will?

It seems some people aren't sure on the difference between atheism and agnosticism

Agnostic Atheist would say: I cannot know if a god exists, and do not believe one does.

Gnostic Atheist would say: I can know if a god exists, and do not believe one does.

Agnostic Theist would say: I cannot know if a god exists, and do believe one does.

Gnostic Theist would say: I can know a god exists, and do believe one does.

Theism has to do with belief

Gnosticism has to do with knowledge

I consider myself an Agnostic Atheist, because I can't say for sure a being doesn't exist outside of our knowledge, but I don't have any reason to think one does.

I think my favorite (just in general) spiritual belief identification of all time is "Flaming Knight Rampant of the Third Berserker Church." :)

By your standard of moral why would God stop at child rapes?

Can good exist w/o evil?....or free will?

Stopping child rape is not just my standard.

The child should have free will not to get raped.

Let the evil guy be evil if you must. Smite him and take him to Hell right after he makes the choice but before he carries it out.

I would provide every person free will to run away from people who are trying to rape them. God does not.

they probably have the will,but likely not the freedom

you blaming God for that freedom being taken away?.........What freedom or choice would you allow?

---------- Post added January-16th-2013 at 12:41 AM ----------

A Freakin' Deacon?

I was Flaming Shaman Berserker till my knees went out....my whirly gig got gonged

they probably have the will,but likely not the freedom

you blaming God for that freedom being taken away?.........What freedom or choice would you allow?

I cannot make sense of your faith for you.

I'm fine with saying that Tracy Harris' comment on the difference between her and your God applies to me as well. You can sort it out for yourself.

Immediately before the conversation is cut off, Harris directs the following statement to Shane: “You either have a God who sends child rapists to rape children or you have a God who simply watches it and says, ‘When you’re done, I’m going to punish you.' If I could stop a person from raping a child, I would. That’s the difference between me and your God."

Maybe we can discuss what I would do if I were in charge of the Universe in another thread... I have tons of ideas... built-in birth control for animals, herbivore wolves, kittens that never grow up, etc.

Back on topic:

I try not to say bad things about religion: I hope for India and the latest debacle to change their beliefs on women, same as the middle east..

The VICTIM is hardly ever the 'evil' one when common sense is employed.

Honor killings should have ended in the 1100's.

PSA Alert:

If you believe in God and free-will: Then you shouldn't live near volcano's, mississippi, new orleans, tornado ally in a mobile home, etc.

He apparently gave you a Giant brain, and you in turn have the free will not to use it?

We appear to have this:

1) entity is said to exist which is morally good

2) this entity is capable of preventing all child rapes

3) this entity fails to prevent all child rapes

So how can we resolve this? I see following options:

1) said entity does not exist

2) this entity is not capable of preventing rapes

3) this entity is not morally good

4) not preventing child rapes is actually morally good and/or necessary but I am not able to understand why

You seem to be arguing for 4). I may not understand God's behavior, but I'm not ready to accept something morally wicked based on faith. I'm going to go ahead and disagree with God on this one.

How about you? Would YOU prevent all child rapes if you could?

My only argument is that you are making statements that have no real value as near as I can tell.

What value is it if you disagree with God?

Is that evidence that a god doesn't exist?

It that evidence that if there is a god, it isn't right and you are?

**EDIT**

I have a 6 year old. She's gotten so that she likes to argue every single thing that she can with me. If I make a statement and there is any sort of nuance or anything unclear where she can argue with it, she will. It doesn't matter what it is.

This thread reminds me of something that she would do (if she was familiar with the relevant ideas). I think everybody here knows that I don't back away from a good argument or discussion (including with my 6 year old), but in some cases, you have to ask, what is the point? What is the value?

The only thing remotely useful that I can get out of the OP is that if you are an atheist in TX holding a call in show, you are going to get some crazy calls and some people can rationalize anything (i.e. the girl was evil too).

Anything about god seems to be trying to boot strap up an argument from nothing for the sake of arguing.

My only argument is that you are making statements that have no real value as near as I can tell.

What value is it if you disagree with God?

Is that evidence that a god doesn't exist?

It that evidence that if there is a god, it isn't right and you are?

I would stop a person from raping a child if I could, and I think you would too. Your God does not. That is the difference between my morallity, your morality, and your God's morality. Extract value from this if you can.

I have a 6 year old. She's gotten so that she likes to argue every single thing that she can with me. If I make a statement and there is any sort of nuance or anything unclear where she can argue with it, she will. It doesn't matter what it is.

This thread reminds me of something that she would do (if she was familiar with the relevant ideas). I think everybody here knows that I don't back away from a good argument or discussion (including with my 6 year old), but in some cases, you have to ask, what is the point? What is the value?

Your daughter is learning, exploring interpersonal interactions, experimenting, etc. Embrace those discussions with all your heart and mind. It's your most precious time in life.

Me, I'm just trying to show people that they are more moral than their God.

Archived