Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Increased Home Ticket Demand...Related to success, seat reduction, and NHL lockout?

E33Green

In my opinion, the demand for home tickets this year has reached a level not seen since 2005; judging by craigslist, ebay, and selling prices on stubhub. I was wondering if other STH's had noticed this too?

I know people are going to say "exciting team, RG3, duh!" but I think it goes deeper than that. The NHL lockout has left thousands of local Caps STH's with additional money this year and I have spoken to many that have been lured to FedEx this season for their first game in years. I think the FedEx seating reduction has also played a role; no longer is the secondary market flooded with hundreds of broker-owned tickets in the corners of the upper level, theoretically driving up the price and demand of the remaining seats.

The Giants game last night was one of the best attended MNF games I have ever seen at FedEx. Of course there were probably 20% Giants fans, as many STH's sell their night tickets due to family and/or work obligations and the Giants are a huge draw. What surprised me was the lack of the usual plethora of available tickets online yesterday and the high asking prices from the scalpers I talked to in the parking lot. In fact, they told me they were having trouble finding people with extras to buy.

You might have had 20% Giants fans overall but I bet that number was closer to 50% or more in the Lower Level visitor sections. It was a sea of blue and white jerseys there and all along the sections by the Giants tunnel. It was the first thing I noticed when taking my seat and I was disgusted. Hearing that damn "Cruuuuuuuuuuuuuzzzzz" whenever he caught a pass was ridiculously loud for an away game.

There were more Giants fans at FedEx last night than any other NFC East teams had in recent memory.

Imagine how loud the place could get if all of those Skins fans actually attended the games.

• 2 weeks later...

In Chicago, the Bears (despite playing in one of the biggest cities in the country), play in one of the smallest NFL stadiums and it definitely has an impact on ticket prices. Even when it's December and the team is awful, you're looking at $150 minimum to sit in the corner of the upper deck (on Stubhub, week of the game). I've still never been to a Bears game because I keep thinking I'll just have someone pass some unwanted tickets to me at some point, but it hasn't happened yet.

I tried to go to the DeAngelo Hall 4-int game a few years ago but it was still relatively early in the season, and I was looking at $250 minimum. I couldn't justify it as a broke grad student (in hindisght, its a shame I didnt go).

Despite the popularity of the team, 90k is just too big for an NFL stadium (the Cowboys are now learning that lesson too). It's not like college football, where a quarter of your attendance gets almost-free tickets and lives within walking distance from the stadium.

In the long run this means more Redskins fans will be buying up season tickets and less hostile takeovers by opposing fans -- a better fan experience.

In Chicago, the Bears (despite playing in one of the biggest cities in the country), play in one of the smallest NFL stadiums and it definitely has an impact on ticket prices. Even when it's December and the team is awful, you're looking at $150 minimum to sit in the corner of the upper deck (on Stubhub, week of the game). I've still never been to a Bears game because I keep thinking I'll just have someone pass some unwanted tickets to me at some point, but it hasn't happened yet.

I tried to go to the DeAngelo Hall 4-int game a few years ago but it was still relatively early in the season, and I was looking at $250 minimum. I couldn't justify it as a broke grad student (in hindisght, its a shame I didnt go).

Despite the popularity of the team, 90k is just too big for an NFL stadium (the Cowboys are now learning that lesson too). It's not like college football, where a quarter of your attendance gets almost-free tickets and lives within walking distance from the stadium.

In the long run this means more Redskins fans will be buying up season tickets and less hostile takeovers by opposing fans -- a better fan experience.

Great post, especially the part about fan experience. That is my hope too and I agree with you 100%.

IMO the hockey lock out has little influence on the Skins ticket market.

I agree.

For the Cowboys game, I think the prices we see are artificially inflated because speculators are buying what they view as bargain priced tickets and reselling them higher. I am hoping the prices come down a bit after Christmas. The problem though, I think, is buyers will snatch up the tickets very quickly as they drop, even if they drop a little, because they will view them as bargains relative to what they were.

I understand making a profit off of your tickets if you are a STH... do what you like.

But, my preference would be that you go to the game instead of gouging true Skins fans who want to be there, regardless of your financial situation.... or at least give them a reasonable price instead of trying to make a buck. If you sell them to a fan with NBD I have lost all respect for you :D

Prices have been high since the Carolina game IMO. I don't know what it was about the Carolina game, bc our season was all but over at the time. I guess people wanted to see Cam Newton.

This wave has been fun to watch. Philly prices are probably higher as a result of the Skins travelling this week.

Prices have been high since the Carolina game IMO. I don't know what it was about the Carolina game, bc our season was all but over at the time. I guess people wanted to see Cam Newton.

This wave has been fun to watch. Philly prices are probably higher as a result of the Skins travelling this week.

Thank god i got 2 tickets in lower bowl for 140 on monday!

Archived