Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Important Transportation Info - Skins/Giants MNF - PARKING LOTS OPEN @ 4:30

E33Green

Please read this Washington Post article if you are attending the Redskins/Giants game on Monday Night:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dr-gridlock/wp/2012/11/30/metro-to-stay-open-late-for-monday-night-football-at-fedex-field/

Metro will be staying open late with the extra service funded by the Redskins.

"Fans heading south from FedEx Field to the Morgan Boulevard station should get there in time to catch the last Blue Line train headed toward Franconia-Springfield at 12:25 a.m., and the last Blue Line train to Largo Town Center at 1:33 a.m."

From personal experience, I cannot stress how important it is to get to the Stadium by 4pm if you want to tailgate and be in your seats for kickoff. I know this isn't easy for those who have to work, but traffic will be an absolute nightmare from 5pm-8pm no matter which route you take.

HTTR :giantsuck:

Leaving work at 1, getting there by 4...seats by 730 and ready to go! HTTR!

This is a man with the right plan! Unfortunately I think that while 95% of the people who attend games on ES know the info in the OP by heart, only 25% of the total people who attend the game are aware of it.

This is why I feel FedEx gets such an unfair bad rap ie. "I left work at 6pm and sat in gridlock for 3 hours! FedEx sucks! Snyder sucks! etc." If these fans simply took 10 minutes to read Mark's "Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About FedEx Field" thread all of their problems would be solved.

Just to add at that time of day if you are coming from VA I'd take the Wilson bridge route even is it was a longer trip miles wise. Traffic around 270 and Rockville is horrible. With the new Wilson bridge opened up you just zip right through even at rush hour.

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

November 30, 2012

REDSKINS FANS ENCOURAGED TO ARRIVE EARLY FOR

MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL GAME

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – Fans attending the Washington Redskins’ Monday Night Football game against the New York Giants at FedExField on Dec. 3 are encouraged to arrive early to avoid traffic and allow ample time to get to their seats before the 8:30 p.m. kickoff.

The Redskins are committed to creating a safe and enjoyable experience for fans both inside FedExField and in the parking lots. In order for fans to avoid regular weekday commuter traffic, they are encouraged to take advantage of parking lots opening early at 4:30 p.m. and stadium gates opening early at 6:30 p.m.

To expedite entry into the stadium on Monday, fans are advised to enter FedExField one to two hours prior to kickoff. It is also strongly suggested that fans make all items they wish to bring into the stadium clearly visible, including all metal objects, such as keys and cell phones, prior to going through security.

Tailgating is permitted at fans’ cars but not permitted in empty parking spaces or driving lanes. Please review the FedExField Parking Guide for more information regarding driving directions and preferred routes. For fans traveling to and from FedExField by Metro, the Redskins have arranged for an extra hour of service which is standard practice for Monday night games. The last train will now leave the Morgan Blvd. Station at 12:25 a.m.

Redskins vs. Giants Monday Night Football Event Timeline:

Parking lots open at 4:30 p.m.

Gates open at 6:30 p.m.

Kickoff is at 8:30 p.m.

Last Metro train leaves Morgan Blvd. Metro Station at 12:25 a.m.

Fans attending the game also get the exclusive opportunity to receive a coupon for two free hot dogs and one free soda (redeemable at the concession stands listed on the coupon) with the purchase of any NIKE jersey at the Redskins Team Store and all retail locations at FedExField.

For more information regarding the Redskins Monday Night Football game against the Giants, as well as FedExField’s parking and stadium seating guide, visit www.redskins.com.

Yea, crossing my fingers when the game kicks off the stadium isn't half empty like it usually is....

I've kind of resigned myself to this being the norm for home Skins games now and in the future. The one exception was the Buffalo game after Sean Taylor's death; everyone made the effort to get there for the pregame ceremony. The Stadium was simply built in a terrible area for transportation access and the vast majority of fans have obligations (church, family, work) that prevent them from getting there when the die hard tailgaters do. Some people do not like to tailgate and arrive close to kickoff. I'm not going to chastise these people for not being in their seats for kickoff because at least they are taking the time and effort to attend the game and hopefully be LOUD on defense.

The team has started sounding airhorns from the top of the Stadium an hour prior to kickoff as a reminder for people to start closing down their tailgates but I don't know how effective that will be in getting more people in their seats for kickoff.

I've kind of resigned myself to this being the norm for home Skins games now and in the future. The one exception was the Buffalo game after Sean Taylor's death; everyone made the effort to get there for the pregame ceremony. The Stadium was simply built in a terrible area for transportation access and the vast majority of fans have obligations (church, family, work) that prevent them from getting there when the die hard tailgaters do. Some people do not like to tailgate and arrive close to kickoff. I'm not going to chastise these people for not being in their seats for kickoff because at least they are taking the time and effort to attend the game and hopefully be LOUD on defense.

The team has started sounding airhorns from the top of the Stadium an hour prior to kickoff as a reminder for people to start closing down their tailgates but I don't know how effective that will be in getting more people in their seats for kickoff.

I don't think the location is really that bad. Where in the DC metro area can you locate a stadium where traffic is not going to be bad. Doesn't matter what exit on the beltway you put the stadium, traffic is going to suck. It sucks just for normal every day commuting. Snyder, Redskins, FedEx gets a bad rap for traffic when there simply is no real solution given the infrastructure and current non football congestion. Yes, Metro could be closer; but would a closer station really reduce the auto congestion? I highly doubt it.

As you've said, people need to be intelligent about their traffic choices and arrival times. I think too many people think they can arrive 15 minutes before game time and be in their seats. And THAT is because too few regular season ticket holders attend games. I would wager most of the fans attending the games are people attending for the first time or only attend once or twice a year and have no real plan when they attend the game.

For me....I may miss the kickoff for the first time in years. I'll be in the lot waiting for my daughter to arrive from Philly via Amtrak and Metro. She had fun talking smack with Philly fans two weeks ago! But then I got to drive her back to Philly and drive home to Harrisburg, PA after the game...yuck! :D

---------- Post added November-30th-2012 at 12:22 PM ----------

Questions for the DC commuter crowd:

1.I may use 295 South from the Baltimore Beltway (695) to avoid the DC Beltway (95/495). Anyone know what the Baltimore/Washington Parkway South is like from 695 to Eastern Avenue Exit?

2. Anyone know how Central Blvd from the DC line to Morgan Blvd is around 4-5 pm on a Monday?

Thanks for the input!

HTTR

Well, I learned my lesson on getting to FEDEX early for the only Monday night game I have attended so far....few seasons back with Philly came to town and McNabb was still their QB. I normally arrived at stadium a couple of hours early, and normally was only about 15 minutes from exit 17 to grey parking lot. That night, however, it took over 2 hours from exit 17 to grey parking alone. Total trip from Tysons corner was more like 3+ hours. By the time the wife and I hit our seats, we were down by a score.

I will definitely arrive earlier than later this Monday......I always go via 495 beltway.....is there a better way for Monday?

I understand that but i have been down there for several games even the ST tribute game against the Giants (which we got killed) and have always been able to get into the stadium via the metro in more than enough time. I was so pissed during the giants game that the place was empty during the tribute. It was a joke....but yea lets hope people can realize how big this game is...and cant really use the church, family, work excuse for this game...

I understand that but i have been down there for several games even the ST tribute game against the Giants (which we got killed) and have always been able to get into the stadium via the metro in more than enough time. I was so pissed during the giants game that the place was empty during the tribute. It was a joke....but yea lets hope people can realize how big this game is...and cant really use the church, family, work excuse for this game...

I think the work excuse is especially valid for the Giants game. Many fans have to stay at work until 5pm or later which will make getting to their seat by kickoff especially difficult unless they work close to Landover.

I share your frustration with the empty seats at kickoff but I think its much more a product of life obligations and the transportation issues around the stadium than laziness or lack of caring.

The thing that pisses me off the most is the people who never attend games crying on ES that the Stadium looks too empty at kickoff on their 300 inch 1.21 jiggawatt 3DTV. If you want the Stadium to look full at kickoff and have great atmosphere, get your butts off the couch and into a seat a FedEx!

---------- Post added November-30th-2012 at 02:17 PM ----------

Just to add about the title the parking lots are not opening early. :( The opening time of 4:30 is the normal time for a night game.

I bet they do open a little before 4:30 though cause traffic will be messed up.

I see your point, 4:30 is exactly 4 hours before 8:30. Just quoting from the Skins press release:

"The Redskins are committed to creating a safe and enjoyable experience for fans both inside FedExField and in the parking lots. In order for fans to avoid regular weekday commuter traffic, they are encouraged to take advantage of parking lots opening early at 4:30 p.m. and stadium gates opening early at 6:30 p.m."

Archived