Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JMS's Chronology of the Bengazi Raid and "cover-up"

JMS

GOP aides even getting tired of the witch-hunt.

RollCall: House Defense Bill Aims to Implement Lessons From Benghazi Attack

The inquiry led by the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee into the slaying of four Americans at the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, last year has been attention-grabbing, but some senior GOP aides are worried that the partisan overtones are diverting Congress from identifying and addressing the real lessons learned from the attack.

In particular, these aides say key staffers have been overly consumed with chasing down or addressing inaccurate or unfounded accusations emerging from the inquiry.

“We have got to get past that and figure out what are we going to do going forward,” a GOP aide stressed. “Some of the accusations, I mean you wouldn’t believe some of this stuff. It’s just — I mean, you’ve got to be on Mars to come up with some of this stuff.”

In this charged political environment, where some on Capitol Hill have accused the president of a possible cover-up related to the attack just weeks before the 2012 presidential election, defense policy Republicans are trying to refocus attention on core issues and create some good out of the tragedy.

One sign of this focus will come when the House Armed Services Committee starts marking up its annual defense authorization bill Wednesday.

“We’re trying to stay on the substance of it,” one senior GOP aide said. “There has got to be some good that comes out of those fatalities.”

http://www.rollcall.com/news/house_defense_bill_aims_to_implement_lessons_from_benghazi_attack-224984-1.html?zkPrintable=true

this post is easily the most honest in the whole thread.

to paraphrase:

"I have known since the beginning many things that were not substantiated by any corroborating facts or information, but based on pure gut. As a result, i will of course immediately believe any blogs that resemble what i already know, whether or not they have any corroborating information or facts."

I am glad we cleared that up. :)

It beats:

"Yes, our consolate is under attack. Our Secretary of State is engaged. We're watching the attack live, yet our President is paying no attention to it."

If that's what I'm supposed to believe, that's a scandal too, IMO.

It beats:

"Yes, our consolate is under attack. Our Secretary of State is engaged. We're watching the attack live, yet our President is paying no attention to it."

If that's what I'm supposed to believe, that's a scandal too, IMO.

Hmmm was it a scandal when Bush continued to sit in a kindergarten classroom reading children's books as the attacks on 9/11 were taking place?

And yes, that assertion is just as absurd as what the fringe Right is claiming Obama did with Benghazi.

Almost gave this one its own thread.  Wow!  Even for a rag like the Examiner, I'm pretty stunned they would publish something like this:

<sorry if this is a repeat.  Search being broken and whatnot...>

http://www.examiner.com/article/was-president-obama-high-on-coke-while-benghazi-burned

Was President Obama high on coke while Benghazi burned?

While our consulate in Benghazi
was attacked during the night of September 11 of last year, our
fearless leader was allegedly hiding away somewhere getting “high as a
kite” on cocaine. This is the speculation of Kevin DuJan, a self-described “gay conservative political analyst” writing for a publication called HillBuzz.
DuJan states that his claim, which he appears to make based on
knowledge and experience of drug addicts, explains the president being
missing for most of the evening during the attack on Benghazi.

DuJan explains his theory, writing, “If you’ve ever known anyone who is a drug addict, you’d see it’s obvious that Barack Obama was high on cocaine
the night of Benghazi; it is the only logical explanation  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  for his
disappearance and the White House’s refusal to comment on what he was
doing at the time. Since this was a night of great crisis for our
country, the only logical reason that the White House won’t explain
where the president was is if this man was high as a kite on illegal
narcotics at the time.”

DuJan also suggests the president sought out gay entertainment when he
left the next day for Las Vegas, writing that Obama was, “jetting off to
fabulous Las Vegas for a fun-and-games fundraiser event he had
scheduled there (where, it also should be noted, not only Chippendales
but also Thunder From Down Under male revues are regularly held…which
certainly establishes the appeal of heading to Las Vegas instead of
managing a national crisis back in Washington for this particular
president).

Suggesting again the gay theme as well as cocaine use, DuJan wrote,
“After reading Lowry’s article, my good friend Justine in California
emailed me to ask whether I thought Obama was having sex with Reggie
Love during the “missing hours” and if that’s where he was. Justine was
an actress and model in Los Angeles back in the late-1970s and ran in
the same circles as friends of closeted gay men like Rock Hudson…so her
first instinct with Obama and Benghazi is that he and Reggie Love were
getting at it and Obama didn’t want to be disturbed.”

DuJan offered to retract his story in exchange for an explanation
from the president on why he was missing during those hours, writing, “I
would gladly retract this story if the White House would sufficiently
explain Barack Obama’s whereabouts during those missing hours and prove
he was not out of his mind on cocaine at the time (or gluttonously
engaged in gay sex, as my friend Justine believes).”

DuJan closed his article with this question: “Do you think it’s
better for the White House to say the president’s location is
“irrelevant” or for them to admit “the president was high on cocaine
and/or having gay sex in his private quarters”?”

Darrell Issa Subpoenas Benghazi Documents

WASHINGTON — The chairman of the House Oversight and Government

Reform Committee issued subpoenas on Tuesday for State Department

documents related to the widely debunked talking points about the cause

of the deadly attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya,

last year.

Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., is pressing for material from 10 current

and former department officials, including several who had worked for

former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton. He gave the department

until June 7 to comply.

"The State Department has not lived up to the

administration's broad and unambiguous promises of cooperation with

Congress. Therefore, I am left with no alternative but to compel the

State Department to produce relevant documents through a subpoena," Issa

said in a letter to Secretary of State John Kerry.

More from the link.

• 2 months later...

CNN's new bomshell report on what was really happening in Benghazi

CNN has uncovered exclusive new information about what is allegedly happening at the CIA, in the wake of the deadly Benghazi terror attack............Sources now tell CNN dozens of people working for the CIA were on the ground that night, and that the agency is going to great lengths to make sure whatever it was doing, remains a secret.

CNN has learned the CIA is involved in what one source calls an unprecedented attempt to keep the spy agency's Benghazi secrets from ever leaking out.......Since January, some CIA operatives involved in the agency's missions in Libya, have been subjected to frequent, even monthly polygraph examinations, according to a source with deep inside knowledge of the agency's workings...............

The goal of the questioning, according to sources, is to find out if anyone is talking to the media or Congress.

It is being described as pure intimidation, with the threat that any unauthorized CIA employee who leaks information could face the end of his or her career..........Initially they were not afraid to come forward. They wanted the opportunity, and they wanted to be subpoenaed, because if you're subpoenaed, it sort of protects you, you're forced to come before Congress. Now that's all changed," said Wolf...........

Lawmakers also want to about know the weapons in Libya, and what happened to them.

Speculation on Capitol Hill has included the possibility the U.S. agencies operating in Benghazi were secretly helping to move surface-to-air missiles out of Libya, through Turkey, and into the hands of Syrian rebels.

It is clear that two U.S. agencies were operating in Benghazi, one was the State Department, and the other was the CIA.

Link:http://thelead.blogs.cnn.com/2013/08/01/exclusive-dozens-of-cia-operatives-on-the-ground-during-benghazi-attack/?hpt=hp_inthenews

Hmmm...Certainly seems like something was going on over there.  Be interesting to see how this plays out.

I've heard ***PURE SPECULATION/WORD OF MOUTH**** that there were hundreds of casualties inflicted on the attackers by American forces, and that it was a spectacular and massive firefight.  That if the scope of the firefight and casualties got out, it would reveal not only the complexity of the attack on the compound, but the amount of American agents in the area at the time, doing things as yet unknown.  I do find it odd that you never see anything about enemy casualties that night.  As I said, there is nothing factual to back this up, but it seems to fit.  Or I could be an idiot.  That is also possible.

So, now we have a black ops. Word is they were locating and funneling Khadfi's old arsenal of SAM to opposition in Syria.

I think these are just rumors and not particularly believable, to be honest.

More likely they were investigating movement of weapons into Mali or Algeria or other nearby places.

There have been weapons sent to Syria from Libya, but not heavy weapons and not by Americans.

Mostly those have come from Libyans who felt bad for people in Syria.

There's a few articles out about such operations.

https://twitter.com/blakehounshell

CNN says the U.S. is filing charges in the Benghazi attack against Ahmed Khattalah, a Libyan militia leader
4:02 PM

Here's a WSJ story about Ahmed Khattalah http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443624204578060412061421202.html

4:04 PM

Khatallah "spent most of his adult life in Libya's notorious Abu Salem prison"
4:05 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/06/politics/benghazi-charges/index.html

First criminal charges filed in Benghazi attack probe

Federal agents and prosecutors investigating the attack on the U.S. diplomatic compound in Benghazi have filed charges against Ahmed Khattalah, leader of a Libyan militia that officials believe was involved in the assault, people briefed on the investigation said. The charges under seal are the first criminal counts to emerge from the probe.

The investigation of the attack last September 11 that killed Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three others continues, these people said, as investigators try to build their case against Khattalah and others who authorities believe were involved.

The Justice Department and the FBI declined to comment on the charges. The agencies prohibit commenting on matters that are under seal. It couldn't be learned when the U.S. plans to announce the charges and whether there are any plans to try to detain Khattalah.

None of the sources would discuss the precise charges against Khattalah in the sealed complaint.

Khattalah has kept a public presence, including granting interviews to CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/31/politics/benghazi-investigation-suspect/index.html

Lawmaker: If CNN can interview suspect in Benghazi attack, why can't FBI?

A Republican lawmaker demanded Wednesday to know why investigators have not captured or killed any of the suspects in the attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, pointing out that CNN was able to find a man who some say was the ringleader in the assault that left the ambassador and three other Americans dead....

....Chaffetz was referring to CNN's recent interview with Ahmed Abu Khattala, who Libyan and U.S. officials have described as the Benghazi leader of the al Qaeda-affiliated militia group Ansar al-Sharia

Khattala's narrative of the events that night was sometimes unclear and, at times, seemed to be contradictory, Damon said.

He admitted to being at the compound the night of the attack, but denied any involvement in the violence.

When he arrived at the perimeter of the compound, Khattala said he saw men carrying RPGs and medium guns, but that gunfire prevented him from getting close and entering the compound.

Khattala said by the time he managed to get inside the compound, everyone had withdrawn. He said he did not see any fires.

Asked about allegations he may have masterminded the attack, Khattala and two of the men he brought with him to the interview "burst out laughing," Damon said.

Archived