Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Love, Always, for RG3

Btubes18

I know this is a Fantasy Football Article, but I thought it was a pretty interesting read, since it mainly focuses on RG3. Love the persepective presented and the story behind it. Just thought you all in the Stadium may want to read...

I knew.

talentedroto_FH3a.jpg

In the preseason, when I would talk up Robert Griffin the Third, people would often dismiss it as rampant Redskins fan homerism. Which I understand. It's one of the reasons I am so public about my fandom of that team. I want anyone considering my advice to understand my biases and objectivity. Or lack thereof.

But I knew.

I had stats to back it up. In my "100 Facts You Need To Know" column in July, I listed the following stats.

"15. In the two years with Mike Shanahan as head coach, the Redskins have been in the top five in passing attempts each season.

"16. If you combined the stats of Donovan McNabb, Rex Grossman and John Beck over the past two years and made them one quarterback, that QB would have averaged 3,843 passing yards and 20 touchdowns.

"17. In 41 games at Baylor, Robert Griffin III had 2,254 yards rushing and 33 rushing touchdowns."

Lots of good stats to try to shape your opinion. But they didn't matter.

I knew.

I listed him as a "Love" in my preseason "Love / Hate" article while owning up to my emotional attachment.

"Robert Griffin III, QB, Redskins (take in the 8th): They are going to pass a lot and his potential rushing and ... whatever. I am not rational when it comes to Robert Griffin the Third. I am a teenaged girl and he is my Justin Bieber. #ILOVEYOURG3."

But jokes aside … I knew.

When the season started, I was the one who ranked him the highest in our Week 1 composite rankings. And he was on my love list that week. And again in Week 2. And Week 3. And on and on as he kept making me look smart as every week, I was continually the highest on him among my fellow rankers and I kept putting him in my love list until he became such a fantasy stud that it was no longer necessary.

I did it … because I knew.

Click link to read more:

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?page=TMR121024

nice read but i wouldn't be bragging a lot if i was him...sure RG3 has been exceptional in fantasy but the reasons he stated preseason were because he was going to be throwing the ball a ton (he has yet to do that).

Only because he hasn't needed to.

The Redskins haven't had to play from behind much this season which would mean a lot of throwing if they were. Their problem has been losing leads, not aquiring them.

Not to mention the wonderful surprise that is Alfred Morris. Between his and RG3's yards on the ground, there hasn't been a need for a lot of high-risk long passes.

I love Mathew Berry. The fact that he's a skin fan just like any one of us is just icing on the cake.

Agreed.

And this part had me rolling. So true though!

" I am not rational when it comes to Robert Griffin the Third. I am a teenaged girl and he is my Justin Bieber. #ILOVEYOURG3."

Agreed.

" I am not rational when it comes to Robert Griffin the Third. I am a teenaged girl and he is my Justin Bieber. #ILOVEYOURG3."

I love what he says about RG3 in his love/hate section for week 8:

"I don't love RG3 for this week... I love him for life"

:ols:

I read Matthew Berry's love/hate every week. It is usually a pretty good column even if you are not a fantasy football fan, but it is a must read if you are.

I knew he was high on RG3 and I knew he was a huge 'skins fan, so I have been waiting for this article. I was glad to see it this week, and the Talented Mr. Roto did not disappoint. I love the unapologetic and long-suffering 'skins fan perspective. Very good read.

I love what he says about RG3 in his love/hate section for week 8:

"I don't love RG3 for this week... I love him for life"

:ols:

I saw that, well played. I like Berry because he is one of few analysts for ESPN that is actually proud to be a fan of a team and let his opinions known.

I saw that, well played. I like Berry because he is one of few analysts for ESPN that is actually proud to be a fan of a team and let his opinions known.

This right here, it's good to see someone in sports media who has a genuine rooting interest in your team. Plus he always has some great fantasy nuggets

Agreed.

For my age, my Donny Osmond, but whatever!

Great OP, love it, love RGIII, named a female kitten RG and she's a complete lap-kitty. I've been so completely stupid outtamymind happy since the day we traded up, even my husband says I'm a happier person with a better outlook on just about everything...(I take it all out in the Tailgate, lol). Every week he gets to see why I'm so happy, he's proving to be everything we hoped for!

HTTR!!:point2sky

I have to admit it myself. I love this guy for life as well. I tried to remain level headed when we made the move to pickup RG3, and to not get TOO excited. But now...

"I am not rational when it comes to Robert Griffin the Third. I am a teenaged girl and he is my Justin Bieber. #ILOVEYOURG3."

Another link on ESPN led to this guys article saying that the Redskins are the most entertaining team to watch in the NFL http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8553749/ranking-nfl-teams-watchability

1. Redskins

… Robert Griffin III, who is the most exhilarating football experience since Michael Vick emerged on the scene in 2002. And RG3's numbers blow Vick's away. Keep in mind that Griffin leads the league in completion percentage (70.8 percent) and yards per attempt (8.5) with Leonard Hankerson and Josh Morgan as his starting wideouts, and that doesn't even consider his value as a runner. You know how Simmons has the Tyson Zone for celebrities who are so crazy he'd believe anything he heard about them? I feel the same way about Griffin on the field. If I'm watching the Red Zone channel on Sunday and I see the "Coming up … " image with a Redskins graphic, my mind races. Did RG3 just kick a 65-yard field goal? By accident? Did he go back in time and relieve Drew Storen? Is he hosting the Red Zone Channel right now? You could tell me RG3 accomplished just about anything during a game on Sunday and I'll believe it. These days, nobody in football is more watchable or entertaining.

Another link on ESPN led to this guys article saying that the Redskins are the most entertaining team to watch in the NFL http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8553749/ranking-nfl-teams-watchability

1. Redskins

… Robert Griffin III, who is the most exhilarating football experience since Michael Vick emerged on the scene in 2002. And RG3's numbers blow Vick's away. Keep in mind that Griffin leads the league in completion percentage (70.8 percent) and yards per attempt (8.5) with Leonard Hankerson and Josh Morgan as his starting wideouts, and that doesn't even consider his value as a runner. You know how Simmons has the Tyson Zone for celebrities who are so crazy he'd believe anything he heard about them? I feel the same way about Griffin on the field. If I'm watching the Red Zone channel on Sunday and I see the "Coming up … " image with a Redskins graphic, my mind races. Did RG3 just kick a 65-yard field goal? By accident? Did he go back in time and relieve Drew Storen? Is he hosting the Red Zone Channel right now? You could tell me RG3 accomplished just about anything during a game on Sunday and I'll believe it. These days, nobody in football is more watchable or entertaining.

That was hilarious. Great post.

Archived