Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

North Carolina Redskins fans, we need your help! (TV coverage)

McSkin30

The point is that the Skins were the home team in the Carolinas before the Panthers came along. It is a [secondary] home market. Guessing you're under 30. ;)

It doesn't matter what we think about the Panthers. The fact is they are the home team now for the Carolinas as far as television rights go. It's absurd to complain that the Panthers get televised over the Redskins throughout most of the state of NC and SC. They don't air the Panthers game, they will never increase the fan base which could possibly lead to even less season ticket holders and force the Panthers into a situation like Jacksonville, Tampa Bay, Miami, Buffalo where they are thinking about relocation.

See Bobcats, Charlotte - they did it wrong the first year by only allowing something like 5-6 games to be televised on stations that everyone could have access to on cable/satellite and tried to force that C-Set ****ing channel down your throats to watch 90% of their games, which was only available through Time Warner Cable who also had ties to the arena. Horrible marketing = pissed off fans/no interest = less revenue = problems for keeping a team around.

I'm not a Panthers fan, but I like the home team to succeed for the most part (yes some fans are unbearable if they are winning) because I like the opportunity to drive 20 mins to see professional football live. That is an experience I would like to keep around.

It doesn't matter what we think about the Panthers. The fact is they are the home team now for the Carolinas as far as television rights go. It's absurd to complain that the Panthers get televised over the Redskins throughout most of the state of NC and SC.

That's not what's being argued. Read through the thread again. If there's no Panthers game, the Skins should take precedence in NC/SC over the national game b/c the Carolinas remain a secondary Skins market (by virtue of originally being a Skins primary market). In the OP, they're not showing the Panthers; they're showing Giants-49ers. :puke:

Make sense? If the Panthers are on at 1, every 4pm Skins games should be on Fox's doubleheader and vice versa. Same if Panthers are on Fox and Skins CBS and vice versa.

Agree totally on Bobcats. Why they don't put a crappy team on OTA to build a fan base, I don't know.

Ahhh, I'll have to check that out. This season, my family has been going to the Kickstand (where they had the Rally last year). They have a Redskins room as well as many tables each with their own TV out oin the bar area. Its been nice so far, good folks!

Come on out sometime and introduce yourself!

This is the FB group that has been there regularly..

http://www.facebook.com/CharlotteRedskinsFans?fref=ts

Cool! Thanks! I'll def try and get up there at some point this season! Always good to meet some fellow fans in the QC!

That's not what's being argued. Read through the thread again. If there's no Panthers game, the Skins should take precedence in NC/SC over the national game b/c the Carolinas remain a secondary Skins market (by virtue of originally being a Skins primary market). In the OP, they're not showing the Panthers; they're showing Giants-49ers. :puke:

Make sense? If the Panthers are on at 1, every 4pm Skins games should be on Fox's doubleheader and vice versa. Same if Panthers are on Fox and Skins CBS and vice versa.

Agree totally on Bobcats. Why they don't put a crappy team on OTA to build a fan base, I don't know.

I dont think they care about secondary markets, they care about the better game which would be the Giants/49ers, we have done nothing in 20 years to deserve being shown over last years rematch of the NFC Championship game, we just haven't. Typically, we are shown in those cases, but the network is going to show any rematch like this over a Skins team that is 2-3 playing the lucky Vikings.

I agree with y'all, it sucks, but its reality. Also, I have NFL Ticket, so honestly, its better for me for them not to show it cause Im paying for the games and if it is shown on local TV, Im paying for a game I get for free. :)

And im with you on the Bobcats, horrible marketing/planning on a new team. Especially for a city/area that had just been burned by the Hornets owner over a new arena. Then the city screws the taxpayers that voted against a new arena and builds a new areana and the owner tries to force people to come to the games by implementing that idiotic channel or forcing them to pay for that channel. Not the way to energize and reacquire an already pissed off fan base. Then Jordan comes in and makes horrible choices and spends no money. Finally, came to his senses and hired a good GM that can turn things around.

A couple of weeks ago they were going to show the Packers and Saints game, but they changed it to the Skins game a day or two before game day.

I can't stand the Panthers. I wish Richardson would sell the team or move them to L.A. The only people in the Carolinas who are fans of the Panthers live mostly in Charlotte. Any fans outside of Charlotte aren't really devoted fans. Most of them were Redskin fans growing up.

I agree with you. The same thing happens in PA with WYOU 22. If the Steelers are showing at 1:00pm on CBS and the Jets are showing at 4:00 on CBS. WYOU will air the Jets game even if the game of the century is showing at the same time and WYOU is not even a secondary market for the Jets.

A couple of weeks ago they were going to show the Packers and Saints game, but they changed it to the Skins game a day or two before game day.

I can't stand the Panthers. I wish Richardson would sell the team or move them to L.A. The only people in the Carolinas who are fans of the Panthers live mostly in Charlotte. Any fans outside of Charlotte aren't really devoted fans. Most of them were Redskin fans growing up.

This.

I live about 10 miles north of Raleigh, and I can count the number of Panther fans that I personally know on one hand. Most folks here that are 30 or older are Redskin fans.

Nooo. I live in eastern NC and I haven't watched a game on TV yet this year. When the Panthers are playing that is what we're seeing and if they are not playing we either get another game or no game at all.

I'm in eastern NC (Wilson) and I-95 runs right through here. I've been able to watch 2 games on cable so far this season, other than that I have to watch online. Wilson is right in between Raleigh and Greenville, so I'm not really sure what "market" we fall into here. It's really odd how places like the Triangle, Greensboro, etc don't get the games on TV that I've been able to watch. My sister lives in Greensboro and she RARELY gets to watch a game on TV unless it's a Thurs, Sun, or Mon night game. Unfortunately though, it looks like I won't get to watch tomorrow's game either unless I watch on the internet....again.

I'm in eastern NC (Wilson) and I-95 runs right through here. I've been able to watch 2 games on cable so far this season, other than that I have to watch online. Wilson is right in between Raleigh and Greenville, so I'm not really sure what "market" we fall into here. It's really odd how places like the Triangle, Greensboro, etc don't get the games on TV that I've been able to watch. My sister lives in Greensboro and she RARELY gets to watch a game on TV unless it's a Thurs, Sun, or Mon night game. Unfortunately though, it looks like I won't get to watch tomorrow's game either unless I watch on the internet....again.

I am about two hours below you just south of Fayetteville and I get the Wilmington and Myrtle Beach Fox stations and come to think of it I have watched one Skin game on TV. There have been times when the Panthers weren't playing and Fox either played a Flacon game, Cowboy game or no game at all....I'm like you I watch them on-line and hook my computer up to the TV. The quality sux but I'm watching!

On the506.com, the game switched from the Skins to Giants/49ers in Greenville, NC. Going the wrong way.

Here's the current map. It's like looking at an endangered species progression map at the zoo. Looks like the range of viable pockets of Skins fans is dwindling to the Florence/Myrtle/Wilmington area.

pic.png

I live in Greensboro and have had 3 of the 5 games on TV so far this year. Only ATL and St. Louis I had to go to a bar for. But unfortunately this week it's not on tv here.

I go uptown to Champions Bar and Grill across from Hooters. Been going there for 5 years so they always have my Skins set up exactly where i want. lol

Same here in Tahoe, been going to the same bar and am automatically awarded *Redskins Corner* complete with volume. I'd rec. anyone that is out of the DC area go out to the local sports bar at least once to check out the scene. Being able to talk to all sorts of different fans from different places and knowing them season in and season out is great times. I was greatly opposed to the thought of it at first too, glad I gave it a chance.

Did you have any success with this setup? I live in greensboro also by the way.

I actually went to Best Buy today and purchased an outdoor long range hi-def antenna. I get all greensboro's locals, Fox 21/27 out of Roanoke, CBS WDBJ out of Roanoke, and NBC WSLS. I get Fox 50 outta Raleigh now to. 99 bucks and its all free hi-def tv. A total of 38 channels all togethere. I mounted it on the roof and ran rg-56 cable to the tv. I definitely think its worth it especially since im positive I will see the skins play.

The last thing I want is for him to sell/move the team. Its good for the area and it gives me the opportunity to watch the Redskins play them every so often and only deal with a 20 min drive as opposed to driving 6 hours to the DC area. Plus when the games over, I get to go home and crash right away. Honestly, there is no real reason to hate the Panthers, its not like they are a rival to the Skins except for TV rights lol.

Also, Richardson is from SC and there is no way in hell he would move the team to LA.

Frustrated as well. I agree that I don't understand why the Skins game isn't always shown here when then don't go head to head against the Panthers. I wonder if they are feeling that as time goes on, there are less and less Skins fans around. Another possibility is that they've monitored the ratings of the Skins games and they have not fared as well as other teams (even though logically you would think they would).

I finally broke down this year and got the Sunday Ticket. With RG3 and the reduced price, I figured it would be a worthwhile investment. I couldn't rely on Fox any more.

I lived in NC from 2000-2004. We usually got 7-8 skins games per year.

I always hated the Panthers because they got in the way.

It was like this up until 3-4 years ago, then suddenly it completely changed and now there are no Skins games broadcast here unless it's a national game.

Archived