Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SOW| State of the Redskins: Linebackers

rd421

k34028z

With Redskins training camp literally hours away, we are now staring at the start of the 2012 football season. We are also winding down our 2012 State of the Redskins series.

So far, we have taken a look at the WR’s, the Safeties, The RB’s and the CB’s. Today, we turn our focus towards the only positional unit that I am more excited about than the RG3-led QB group, the linebackers.

Outside of acquiring the second overall pick in the draft and subsequently drafting Robert Griffin III, the biggest story out of Ashburn this offseason was the re-signing of team captain, middle linebacker–and undisputed team leader–the seemingly ageless London Fletcher. Even though Fletcher is older than some of the coaches on this staff (Raheem Morris & Kyle Shanahan), his value to this franchise cannot be overstated.

While the return of Fletcher may have been the big story of the linebacker unit, he is just a part of a core group that has the firepower to be the best in the league this season.

Key Departures

During Joe Gibbs’ second run in DC, you could argue that the value of draft picks seemed to rival that of an Albert Haynesworth replica jersey. After burning through picks from the Jason Campbell selection and the Brandon Lloyd trade, the Redskins were left with precious few picks in 2006 (including no first rounder), so they had to make their second round pick count. When Gibbs and Co. moved up 17 spots and took relatively unheralded Miami LB Rocky McIntosh that year, Redskins fans hoped that Gregg Williams and Gibbs saw something that no one else did.

McIntosh ended up being one of the most frustrating players for Redskins fans to watch during his five year career in DC. It is not that Rocky was ever “bad”; in fact, at times he flashed the ability to be pretty special.

That was the problem.

There were many average or downright forgettable moments in Rocky’s tenure as a Redskin, but there were also special plays peppered in with enough frequency to give fans hope that he would at some point put it all together. Under Gregg Williams’ 4-3 scheme, Rocky played well enough overall, but once Shanahan implemented the switch to the 3-4, it was pretty clear that Rocky was more a liability than he was a playmaker.

Yet, the staff kept their hopes up, and that was enough to earn Rocky a one year deal to play with the Redskins in 2011. Unfortunately, as the season progressed, McIntosh’s play declined rapidly, leading to his eventual replacement.

Typically I wouldn’t list a non starter as a significant loss (which is why we haven’t talked about the gut-wrenching loss of Keyaron Fox), but after a guy started for so long, his departure is worth mentioning.

Key Additions

The thing that should excite Redskins fans more than anything on this unit is consistency and stability of the position. Sure, there have been additions like Jonathan Goff and Chris Wilson (who is returning to DC) but those additions are unlikely to make anything significant impact on the depth chart assuming they even make the roster.

The new kid that has the most potential to be a difference maker is Texas Rookie Keenan Robinson.

The two-time Butkus Award semi-finalist graduated in December 2011 with a degree in sports management. While at Texas, Robinson posted 317 tackles (172 solo), 5.5 sacks, 25 TFL, 14 pressures, two INTs, two fumble recoveries, three forced fumbles and 14 passes defended. Robinson excels in the box and should grow into a formidable tackler, especially while being mentored by the NFL’s leading tackler, London Fletcher.

Though he is extremely raw, the resigning of Fletcher will give the fourth round pick plenty of time to adjust to the NFL game.

Returning Players

This is where things get fun.

It has been a long time since the Redskins have had an elite pair of bookend pass rushers, but it looks the wait is finally over. Brian Orakpo and Ryan Kerrigan have the ability to be the best pass rushing tandem in team history – even better than Mann and Manley. Both guys have a motor that never stops, causing opposing QB’s to be under nonstop pressure, which can only lead to an increase in one of the most important statistics in the game – turnovers.

While casual fans initially questioned (or flat out hated) the Kerrigan pick, there is no question that he made an immediate impact. Outside of the game changing plays that Kerrigan made (and there are quite a few) you could also argue that taking pressure of Orakpo is as important as his individual playmaking abilities.

Continue Reading Here

Our LBer group is turning into a great unit. I'm excited for all of them, but am very excited to see if Riley can elevate his game further. The depth battles should be good as well with Goff, Wilson, Robinson, Alexander, White, and Jackson all vying. I personally don't think Robinson will be our sole inside depth as a rookie. I am hoping Alexander is used in more of a tweener role, working both inside and out.

Still think Robinson is a more natural outside, edge rushing LB in a 34 with his lightening speed and athleticism. But he's also one tough SOB so being mentored by Fletch inside might not be a bad option and gives us great, multiple cover from him.

Love the Goff pcik-up. That's young, starting caliber talent right there if he's fully healthy. The value of the 'one man band' speaks for itself. And with young guys like Robinson, Jackson and White in the mix, along with the other vets, it should be a heck of a camp battle for the back-up slots.

The starting four just go to aiding the D-Line as the strongest collective area on the team at present.

If only we could find the secret of eternal youth and inject it into Fletch .....

Hail.

Better than Mann and Manley? Kinda pushing it there, eh?

Even though Dex had issues, he was a pretty good rusher, and I can recall quite a few plays where both of them met at the QB who was praying 'please don't let em hurt me'.

Orakpo 'CAN' be a great player, but he's gotta shake off blocks; at times he looks stymied at the line, maybe tired out, I dunno. Kerrigan started out the gates swinging, but settled into a once-in-awhile playmaker, seemingly not as consistant as the prior mentioned.

I have some pretty high hopes for Riley; he played surprinsingly well, and made his presence known on the field, and I hope he continues to improve, and he will possibly be pro-bowl bound, provided he stays away from Davis' pipe.

My only concern is the secondary, corners in particular. Making plays is one thing, taking chances and getting burned on them are another. Everyone wants to make the hit or play of the week, and sometimes forget their basic responsibility, I won't call out any names [Hall cough cough], even though he is a fast player, his skin is too thin and receivers get under it far too easily, causing personal fouls, and games.

This 3-4 defense has been intact long enough to take shape; this season should yield whether it is a success or more calls for 'we need more time to develop it' cries, which drive me friggin nuts...

Better than Mann and Manley? Kinda pushing it there, eh?

Even though Dex had issues, he was a pretty good rusher, and I can recall quite a few plays where both of them met at the QB who was praying 'please don't let em hurt me'.

Orakpo 'CAN' be a great player, but he's gotta shake off blocks; at times he looks stymied at the line, maybe tired out, I dunno. Kerrigan started out the gates swinging, but settled into a once-in-awhile playmaker, seemingly not as consistant as the prior mentioned.

I have some pretty high hopes for Riley; he played surprinsingly well, and made his presence known on the field, and I hope he continues to improve, and he will possibly be pro-bowl bound, provided he stays away from Davis' pipe.

My only concern is the secondary, corners in particular. Making plays is one thing, taking chances and getting burned on them are another. Everyone wants to make the hit or play of the week, and sometimes forget their basic responsibility, I won't call out any names [Hall cough cough], even though he is a fast player, his skin is too thin and receivers get under it far too easily, causing personal fouls, and games.

This 3-4 defense has been intact long enough to take shape; this season should yield whether it is a success or more calls for 'we need more time to develop it' cries, which drive me friggin nuts...

The point I am making is that they can be not that they are right now. If Rak can get a few more moves the sky is the limit for these guys

I worry when people/writers start looking for tackle totals to be up next year. I want low numbers caused by our D not being on the field. Win third downs on both sides of the ball and the Fletcher/Riley numbers will go down. Their numbers being so high for the games they were in doesn't say great things about our ability to get off the field.

Hopefully Robinson can turn into a Sean Lee type of player... I'd be thrilled if that was the case, the dude (Lee) is a playmaker.

I've been thinking more Lawrence Timmons since we drafted him. We would be in great shape if he turned into that type of player.

Eventually Orakpo is just going to "get it", when he does, the other players around him will set him up for a lot of sack opportunities. Kerrigan was a rookie, its understandable that he struggled as the season went on. We play in an unlucky division that has 3 QB's who are adept at evading pressure. Eli got much better at it last season.

Practicing against a mobile QB like RG3 should help out our pass rush a lot. Turning hurries into more hits, knockdowns, and sacks.

skins island connection,

The article said that Orakpo and Kerrigan CAN be better than Mann/Manley and that is NOT "pushing it".

To early to call this one. Would love to see both of these players play their natural position as DE.

Archived