Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYTimes: Jill Stein Green Party Candidate [for POTUS] & the Chances of Making a Difference

Ellis

BOSTON — Jill Stein, presumptive nominee of the Green Party, is probably the only candidate on the campaign trail who spends an hour a day cooking her own organic meals — and who was, not too long ago, the lead singer of a folksy rock band.

But her distinctiveness does not end there. When Dr. Stein, a former physician, is introduced on the trail as “Jill Stein for president,” she is also very likely the only candidate to be asked, “For president of what?”

That’s what Keith Brockenberry, a cook, wanted to know at a meet-and-greet in Roxbury last week. After one of Dr. Stein’s supporters clarified, “for president of the United States,” Mr. Brockenberry seemed both taken aback and delighted.

“Get out of here!” he blurted out. “I had no idea.”

What Dr. Stein lacks in name recognition, however, she is trying to make up for these days in high-energy organization and low-cost social media outreach. When she officially accepts the nomination at the Green Party’s convention this weekend in Baltimore, she will be the party’s first candidate to have qualified for federal matching funds — a milestone for this 11-year-old alternative party and potentially a major boost for a campaign that does not accept corporate donations.

The Green Party of the United States expects to be on the ballot in at least 45 states and to spend about $1 million on its campaign. At the moment, it has secured ballot access, an organizational test in itself, in 21 states, including the battlegrounds of Colorado, Florida, Michigan and Ohio, where the major party candidates, President Obama and Mitt Romney, who are raising tens of millions of dollars every month, are locked in a tight race.

is quick to point out that she is the only candidate who has experience debating Mr. Romney, which she did in the 2002 Massachusetts governor’s race, her first of four unsuccessful attempts at elected office.

What did she learn? “It’s easy to debate a robot,” she said matter-of-factly.

While Dr. Stein ultimately lost big, with only 3 percent of the vote, a poll taken by a local television station immediately after one debate showed that 32 percent of voting viewers said Dr. Stein had won, compared with 33 percent who gave the debate to Mr. Romney (he ultimately won the race).

Dr. Stein’s problem, then, is of the chicken-and-egg variety: to get national name recognition, she needs television exposure in debates. But she does not qualify for debates because of a lack of national name recognition.

She thinks that is by design, to benefit major parties.

“If they actually have to debate a living, thinking, informed person, it’s very hard for them,” Dr. Stein added, referring to Mr. Obama and Mr. Romney. “They have kind of a mutual agreement, which you can see evident in the nature of their debate right now. If it’s important, they won’t go there. Many issues are not on the table.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/13/us/politics/jill-stein-green-party-candidate-and-the-chances-of-making-a-difference.html?hp

I'd have to completely agree with her. Love him or hate him, but we all saw the way Ron Paul was treated during the debates and after. Ignored in polls, placed to the side when televised, mocked afterwards about arguments had during the debate, when he was correct.

I'd agree with this 100%. Trade war and a crumbling infrastructure, for peace, a renewable infrastructure and a cleaner country. Makes total sense.

Dr. Stein says she prioritizes issues like ecological sustainability, racial and gender equality, and economic justice. The centerpiece of her platform is a so-called Green New Deal, a twist on the Roosevelt-era programs intended to stimulate job growth and the depressed economy. It could be paid for by ending the presence of American troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, the campaign says, and by eliminating waste in the health care system. Beyond that, Dr. Stein favors a progressive income tax that would raise rates on the wealthy.

“There are overwhelming benefits to moving to a green economy that provides jobs and good wages,” she said.

Dr. Stein is quick to align Mr. Obama and Mr. Romney, saying their policies are nearly indistinguishable. She cites the governor’s policy on health care and the president’s new law as an example. (She supports a single-payer system.)

“We need to have people in Washington who refuse to be bought by lobbyist money and for whom change is not just a slogan,” Dr. Stein said. “It seems like there’s a rebellion going on, and people are really ready for something different.”

the one thing the R's and D's work together on is keeping the American Political System just for themselves. If you hate this and especially if you live in a state where you know its going to go for Obama or Romney already, vote for a 3rd party person. Without increasing numbers in their favor, it only gets hard when the next election year hits. I didn't vote for Obama in 08. I won't vote for him in 12. Maryland is as blue as our economy is better than most states. There is no reason for folks to go Red for the most part. But if a Libertarian or Green Party Candidate can get more votes than they did in 08. That's a good thing.

the one thing the R's and D's work together on is keeping the American Political System just for themselves. If you hate this and especially if you live in a state where you know its going to go for Obama or Romney already, vote for a 3rd party person. Without increasing numbers in their favor, it only gets hard when the next election year hits. I didn't vote for Obama in 08. I won't vote for him in 12. Maryland is as blue as our economy is better than most states. There is no reason for folks to go Red for the most part. But if a Libertarian or Green Party Candidate can get more votes than they did in 08. That's a good thing.

This probably the best election ever to vote third party, since the R&D are basically the same exact person.

I'd have to completely agree with her. Love him or hate him, but we all saw the way Ron Paul was treated during the debates and after. Ignored in polls, placed to the side when televised, mocked afterwards about arguments had during the debate, when he was correct.

You mean like how he said the system "worked" in the Oklahoma City bombing AFTER all of those people were killed?

Paul is a nutjob and he deserves to be mocked. If anything, he is doing harm to the idea of a third party candidate with his insane positions.

You mean like how he said the system "worked" in the Oklahoma City bombing AFTER all of those people were killed?

Paul is a nutjob and he deserves to be mocked. If anything, he is doing harm to the idea of a third party candidate with his insane positions.

No, no I don't mean that. I mean something that's on topic with this thread.

edit

I'm not talking about any of his positions on anything, nor saying vote for him or not. I don't even listen to the guy myself anymore for crying out loud.

Also, he hasn't been a third party member since the 80's. I'm talking about when he had to correct Rudy about 9/11 or Santorum about Iran and the way he was talked about after and how if he places 2nd in a poll, they would skip talking about him and mention the tight race between 1rst, 3rd and fourth place candidates.

---------- Post added July-12th-2012 at 12:43 PM ----------

We need viable third-party options that are given enough exposure for us to be able to fully consider them. I'm sure I'm not the only one out their who can't stomach either of the "big two" clowns.

And one of the problems is, nobody wants to "throw their vote away" for somebody not getting airtime with commercials or debates.

And one of the problems is, nobody wants to "throw their vote away" for somebody not getting airtime with commercials or debates.

It certainly is. I've come to grips with it though.

Course, as a republican living in the Democratic People's Republic of Maryland, I'd be throwing my vote away regardless.

So many things need to be changed. Viable 3rd and maybe even 4th party. Perhaps a single 6 year term for President so once elected they can stop running for office. Actually term limits on the hill so guys like Reid and Boehner and McConnell wouldn't be there anymore...along with a banning from lobbying for working with a lobbying firm after holding official office. Bottom line is corruption and how can we get rid of it?

You know what the **** I'm talking about, quit being an ass, put your blind hate for the guy aside for one post. Christ.

I'm not talking about any of his positions on anything, nor saying vote for him or not. I don't even listen to the guy myself anymore for crying out loud.

Also, he hasn't been a third party member since the 80's. I'm talking about when he had to correct Rudy about 9/11 or Santorum about Iran and the way he was talked about after and how if he places 2nd in a poll, they would skip talking about him and mention the tight race between 1rst, 3rd and fourth place candidates.

---------- Post added July-12th-2012 at 12:43 PM ----------

I'm sorry, I didn't know that speaking the truth made one "an ass".

Ron Paul should not be allowed within 1000 feet of the white house gate. Period.

That said, it's no shock that more time is not given to him. Same for Jill Stein. Her positions, however well intended, are insane on the whole. We don't need MORE radicalization. We need a sensible centrist position capable of taking the best ideas of both the left and the right and finding intelligent compromises we can all live with in order to move the nation forward. Giving these idiots more air time is like the history channel showing more UFO and bigfoot programs. They can only make America more stupid and radicalized than we already are.

It certainly is. I've come to grips with it though.

Course, as a republican living in the Democratic People's Republic of Maryland, I'd be throwing my vote away regardless.

I started thinking of it as by voting for a third party, I'm still showing up and letting them know I'm here and paying attention.

That said, I don't get a vote anymore, because I don't really live in "America". :ols: Just a territory.

I started thinking of it as by voting for a third party, I'm still showing up and letting them know I'm here and paying attention.

That said, I don't get a vote anymore, because I don't really live in "America". :ols: Just a territory.

My thought exactly; though I do remain a "real American." :silly:

Ron Paul should not be allowed within 1000 feet of the white house gate. Period.

That said, it's no shock that more time is not given to him. Same for Jill Stein. Her positions, however well intended, are insane on the whole. We don't need MORE radicalization. We need a sensible centrist position capable of taking the best ideas of both the left and the right and finding intelligent compromises we can all live with in order to move the nation forward. Giving these idiots more air time is like the history channel showing more UFO and bigfoot programs. They can only make America more stupid and radicalized than we already are.

Yeah, the course we're on is fantastic and just getting better, so you're right. We should keep doing the same thing, it'll get better soon. Good thing you've got 2 centralist running this time, right?

BTW, do you always talk in such an extreme tone? Like when you're ordering a sandwich or dropping clothes at the cleaners? You remind me of the punisher, from the Tick cartoon.

I get it with the RP thing too, you can only have one reaction when his name is brought up and he can't be used as an example because of it. Got it.

---------- Post added July-12th-2012 at 01:01 PM ----------

My thought exactly; though I do remain a "real American." :silly:

and I'm feeling much better these days ;):silly:

That said, it's no shock that more time is not given to him. Same for Jill Stein. Her positions, however well intended, are insane on the whole. We don't need MORE radicalization. We need a sensible centrist position capable of taking the best ideas of both the left and the right and finding intelligent compromises we can all live with in order to move the nation forward.

This country is in need of radical change out of what we have become politically.

The current political parties have agreed that corporations are people. THAT'S radical.

Putting elections back in the hands of people is radical when compared to what we have now.

Giving these idiots more air time is like the history channel showing more UFO and bigfoot programs. They can only make America more stupid and radicalized than we already are.

I agree that we must take the microphones and cameras off of Romney, Reid, Pelosi, Beohner, etc and all the other Bigfoot idiots currently holding public office.

No, no I don't mean that. I mean something that's on topic with this thread.

LOL!!! Best response in a thread that Ive seen in a long time!

---------- Post added July-12th-2012 at 01:49 PM ----------

What's a "formal party"?

A recognized party that puts forth a nominee for president regularly and holds a convention. (thats how Id define it at least, Im sure there are legal meanings as well)

A recognized party that puts forth a nominee for president regularly and holds a convention. (thats how Id define it at least, Im sure there are legal meanings as well)

The Green party would fall under your definition of a formal party. Their convention ( http://www.gpconvention2012.com/ ) will be held in Baltimore, MD, beginning today and ends Sunday. On Saturday, all of the states will report back to results of the primary elections to determine the candidate to run for the Green Party.

Yeah, the course we're on is fantastic and just getting better, so you're right. We should keep doing the same thing, it'll get better soon. Good thing you've got 2 centralist running this time, right?

BTW, do you always talk in such an extreme tone? Like when you're ordering a sandwich or dropping clothes at the cleaners? You remind me of the punisher, from the Tick cartoon.

I get it with the RP thing too, you can only have one reaction when his name is brought up and he can't be used as an example because of it. Got it.

The course we are on is not perfect. We need to make some serious changes. But is it not completely wrong and we don't need to drive off of a cliff.

And since when is calling something as you see it taking "an extreme tone"? You don't agree with me. Fine. I get that. But I have every right to speak my mind. If you somehow take that as a personal affront, that's your problem. I support Obama (even though I don't always agree with him) and I have a bunch of friends who CONSTANTLY talk **** about him. I supported Bush through the tough times as well and CONSTANTLY listened to people talk **** about him. If I took it all personally or insisted that they not take "an extreme tone", I would have no friends. Yet somehow I'm a bad guy for speaking my mind about someone.

You want to know what I think about your problem with my tone? TOUGH ****. Get over yourself.

Using Ron Paul as an example of the political debate system being unfair is like complaining that Donovan McNabb isn't starting for an NFL team... It's no one's fault but his own.

---------- Post added July-12th-2012 at 06:11 PM ----------

This country is in need of radical change out of what we have become politically.

The current political parties have agreed that corporations are people. THAT'S radical.

Putting elections back in the hands of people is radical when compared to what we have now.

Fist: Obama has come out STRONGLY against Romney's position that corporations are people. To say that both parties agree that they are is a lie. If you cant get that simple fact straight, why should I listen to you?

Second: No matter how frustrated you are with the current political situation, choosing the wrong replacements for the current crop of politicians will not make things better. It will make things worse.

The Green party would fall under your definition of a formal party. Their convention ( http://www.gpconvention2012.com/ ) will be held in Baltimore, MD, beginning today and ends Sunday. On Saturday, all of the states will report back to results of the primary elections to determine the candidate to run for the Green Party.

Yep! (not sure why you posted that in response to my post though?)

Archived