Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: NFL stadiums go from boom to swoon in span of a decade

JeffSchmeff

Mods, if this needs to go in ATNFL, go ahead and move it, but I thought it could bring up some discussion about getting a new stadium in Washington. Breer lists 6 teams after the Raiders in line for stadium upgrades, and the last team is Carolina, who built their stadium only one year before us.

After San Fran and Minnesota get their new stadiums, only 11 teams will have older stadiums than us, and we know the oldest Lambeau isn't going anywhere.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a5c85c/article/nfl-stadiums-go-from-boom-to-swoon-in-span-of-a-decade?module=HP11_content_stream

The way you consume your football, and sports in general, is much different today than it was a decade ago. In 2002, most people used a wire to connect to the Internet, barely anyone had HDTV at home, and fantasy sports was just starting to scratch the surface of its potential. There was no NFL Network. Or MLB Network. Or NHL Network. Or dozens of other options existing today.

But here's what was going on back then -- a stadium revolution. In the five-season period from 1995-99, eight new NFL stadiums swung open their doors. And the rate only increased at the turn of the century, with nine pro football palaces being christened between 2001 and '03.

Things have slowed since. The 10 years from 2004-13 will bring only four new stadiums. Part of it is that fewer teams need that kind of upgrade anymore. Part is the absence of NFL-sponsored financing in the last CBA. It's simply harder to get those shovels in the ground than it used to be.

The 49ers and Vikings just finished decade-long efforts to get their outdated digs replaced, and are scheduled to begin play in new stadiums in 2014 and 2016. The Los Angeles void has yet to be filled. And a handful of teams are now looking at the future -- with even facilities built 10 years ago needing to be updated -- and seeing an increasingly bleak outlook on the future of NFL homes.

"Stadiums have gotten more expensive, because they have generally gotten bigger and more sophisticated," said Eric Grubman, the NFL's executive vice president of ventures and business operations. "A big part of that sophistication is in technology, and it's also in amenities. It's all more expensive. And the expectations of fans and others using the stadium -- sponsors, corporations -- are higher than what they were 25 years ago."

The last two NFL stadiums to open, MetLife Stadium and Cowboys Stadium, cost $1.6 billion and $1.15 billion, respectively, which is a lot to pay by any measure, particularly with the three clubs involved contributing more than $2.5 billion in private funding.

But those numbers become even more eye-popping compared with what those teams' peers paid. The three stadiums that turn 10 this year -- New England's Gillette Stadium ($325 million), Seattle's CenturyLink Field ($430 million) and Houston's Reliant Stadium ($352 million) -- cost less combined than either of the two newest ones.

"If you think about how much Lincoln Financial Field and Gillette Stadium cost, they were in the $300 millions. And it's like these things skipped 5, 6, 7 and 8, and went straight to $1 billion," said Marc Ganis, president of SportsCorp, a consulting firm that works with clubs on stadiums. "First of all, you're building way too much into these stadiums. They've become edifices to the glory of the architect or the team owner. Second, the restrictions and the economics of developing a stadium are now ****eyed."

The first point may seem like a shot at Dallas owner Jerry Jones, but it isn't. "Jerry got a lot of stadium for $1.15 billion, that's a special stadium," said Ganis, emphasizing that Cowboys Stadium is an example of maximizing dollars with a multipurpose palace. The second point could be cleaned up to a degree if more followed the lead of the Patriots and Eagles, who hired their own development staffs to provide oversight on the budget of stadiums, rather than handing control over to contractors.

But what's unavoidable is that it is, indeed, more expensive now. Stadiums built over the past 15 years, many planned in a robust economy, raised the bar to cater to a public that's having a harder time affording the amenities now seen as essential. And for some teams, that means the challenge ahead has mounted.

Current NFL stadium situations in 2012

Team Stadium Year Opened

Green Bay Packers Lambeau Field 1957

San Francisco 49ers Candlestick Park 1960*

Oakland Raiders O.Co Coliseum 1966

San Diego Chargers Qualcomm Stadium 1967

Kansas City Chiefs Arrowhead Stadium 1972

Buffalo Bills Ralph Wilson Stadium 1973

New Orleans Saints Mercedes-Benz Superdome 1975

Minnesota Vikings Mall of America Field at the Metrodome 1982*

Miami Dolphins Sun Life Stadium 1987

Atlanta Falcons Georgia Dome 1992

Jacksonville Jaguars EverBank Field 1995 (rebuilt)

St. Louis Rams Edward Jones Dome 1995

Carolina Panthers Bank of America Stadium 1996

Washington Redskins FedEx Field 1997

Baltimore Ravens M&T Bank Stadium 1998

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Raymond James Stadium 1998

Cleveland Browns Cleveland Browns Stadium 1999

Tennessee Titans LP Field 1999

Cincinnati Bengals Paul Brown Stadium 2001

Denver Broncos Sports Authority Field at Mile High 2001

Pittsburgh Steelers Heinz Field 2001

Detroit Lions Ford Field 2002

Houston Texans Reliant Stadium 2002

New England Patriots Gillette Stadium 2002

Seattle Seahawks CenturyLink Field 2002

Chicago Bears Soldier Field 2003 (rebuilt)

Philadelphia Eagles Lincoln Financial Field 2003

Arizona Cardinals University of Phoenix Stadium 2006

Indianapolis Colts Lucas Oil Stadium 2008

Dallas Cowboys Cowboys Stadium 2009

New York Giants MetLife Stadium 2010

New York Jets MetLife Stadium 2010

*Niners' new stadium set to open in 2014; Vikings in 2016

**Click link for the rest

Just lower ticket prices to an acceptable level. It costs a family of four close to 500 dollars to enjoy a Redskins game.

Close to? Maybe if you're in obstructed view, walk to the stadium, have perfect kids who don't want any merchandise, and everyone's stomachs have been stapled!

This article makes our PoS building look like a bargain. Glad we're stil 10 years away from our next stadium battle.

eh, according to wikipedia, it cost $363 million (in todays dollars), and that probably doesn't include the jumbotron, seat removal, construction of the loge level, or enclosing the club level. seems like kind of a ripoff for a no-frills concrete bowl, albeit one with a buttload of seats.

It will be interesting to see if any of the smaller or mid-market teams decide to actually buck the trend and make stadium that are sustainable long term.

The future is smaller stadiums. Teams are racing to build 1 billion dollar, half-filled, soulless pieces of ****.

So many teams in the NFL (even including the Redskins) would benefit from smaller, intimate stadiums, with top technology and great sight lines.

I think we will see a future in 15 years when the best NFL stadiums are around 50,000 - 60,000 seats.

I think we will see a future in 15 years when the best NFL stadiums are around 50,000 - 60,000 seats.

well, this is only true if none of the other fundamental problems get solved. in ascending order: 1) traffic, 2) price gouging on concessions, and 3) the richer home experience.

if 12 years from now we somehow solve traffic, and the stadiums figure out a way to offer something beyond what we get at home, people WILL pay extra to go. the question is whether those propositions are science fiction or not.

disposable mentality...the real estate and investment that the Squire made in Fed Ex makes the Redskins Stadium the best bargain in the NFL...it is team owned...it wasn't a product of a lie like J Jones stadium that was financed on a Hotel Tax that he never mentions...so in reality the visitors to Dallas Ft Worth all paid for that stadium...I see absolutely no reason to do anything but rehab and keep improving Fed Ex....sorry if it isn't convenient for our VA fans ...or our elite press...who completely instigated the practice facility issue...because they don't like the drive to Redskin Park

disposable mentality...the real estate and investment that the Squire made in Fed Ex makes the Redskins Stadium the best bargain in the NFL...it is team owned...it wasn't a product of a lie like J Jones stadium that was financed on a Hotel Tax that he never mentions...so in reality the visitors to Dallas Ft Worth all paid for that stadium...I see absolutely no reason to do anything but rehab and keep improving Fed Ex....sorry if it isn't convenient for our VA fans ...or our elite press...who completely instigated the practice facility issue...because they don't like the drive to Redskin Park

Sometimes I don't get the hate for FedEx. Sure, it isn't the greatest stadium in the world, but it's hardly the worst either. I've generally have had a good experience every time I've gone to a game. Traffic? Traffic sucks across the whole area. It isn't just a stadium issue. Expensive concessions? They are expensive at any venue. That's why I prefer to tailgate. Richer home experience? Win games and that will take care of itself.

And yeah, going to football games is expensive. That's the way the economics of the game has worked. It is why I wouldn't do it more than twice a year.

Well first, the Superdome was rebuilt in 2006/2007, so I'm not sure why that isn't listed as newer like Soldier Field and others are. Also, i'm not sure I agree if stadiums will get smaller. In college football stadiums are constantly undergoing expansion, from JMU recently expanded to 25k with plans to get to 45k, to teams like Alabama and Texas expanding over 100k recently, and LSU has it on its radar. College tickets for those bigger teams also tend to be as expensive.

Sometimes I don't get the hate for FedEx. Sure, it isn't the greatest stadium in the world, but it's hardly the worst either. I've generally have had a good experience every time I've gone to a game. Traffic? Traffic sucks across the whole area. It isn't just a stadium issue. Expensive concessions? They are expensive at any venue. That's why I prefer to tailgate. Richer home experience? Win games and that will take care of itself.

And yeah, going to football games is expensive. That's the way the economics of the game has worked. It is why I wouldn't do it more than twice a year.

Completely agree dude, but as far as the hate for fedex, its because this is es...people here ***** about anything and everything. The traffic issue is related to location and infrastructure, and its a problem that exists everywhere, some are better and some worse.

As for all the posts here saying fedex "sucks" it is what the fans make it. And generally the fans are giant idiots, so that explains that. Lambeau was built in the 50s, but you don't hear people

crying about how it "sucks". Its a flipping stadium, it does what its supposed to do.

And as to the concession prices, that **** is the same at any pro sporting event +/- $1 or 2

NFL teams are a business, and businesses love to make money for goods/services they provide.

People here ***** just for the sake of ****ing. These are probably the same people who cruise in the left lane oblivious to others on the road.

Its the same story everywhere, people want more for less.

I hate Fed Ex field but its because I live near it, and if Im not going to a game, cannot go anywhere on gameday :ols:

but its still a very nice stadium. The atmosphere "suck" because the fans dont enhance it (having a bad team adds to that in fairness)

The DC area are very fortunate that Abe Pollin and Jack Kent Cooke were owners of these teams and were willing to build these stadiums with their own money.

Honestly, if it was built to keep noise in it would be much better. But honestly, it's really not that bad. I've had Giants fans tell me that our stadium is better then the old Giants stadium and it's louder too. The only way to make a stadium great, is to win games.

Archived