Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Getting to know receiver Joshua Morgan

themurf

moon, going by even a grounded and informed eye on the matter of "potential" and all the pitfalls thereof, I think Hank has to be given the edge as hogging a #1 Z spot (guys, please don't confuse this with that other spot that sounds similar and that you keep missing, according to your gf).

Also keep in mind that Morgan's proven excellent blocking skills and tough guy field presence may make him more desirable (with no criticism of Hank intended) in certain circumstances, as well as all this and his work ethic pushing Hank to do his best to hold that top spot.

My hope is (and while it's only "on paper" at this point, I think it's realistic) is that we will have a wealth of really good options rather than a shuflfing of "okay" or "almosts" for a change.

Following up on my interview with Morgan, one of the guys from Hogs Haven took the time to break down some of the football nerdy stuff we covered - like what exactly it means when he says Pierre Garcon will be the X and Morgan will play the Z.

Here's the link, if you're interested.

Good addition, murf. I am trying to remain cautiously optimistic having been "offensively disappointed" so may times, but this unit might really be a hot one if we get a few breaks and things go as they reasonably should. We're still going to be pretty "new" in many ways, and in a damn tough division. But I keep getting these smiles breaking out on my face...

Jumbo - that's kind of what I was thinking. I have a hard time not seeing Hankerson winning that outside spot. He just seems to have that prototypical size for the position and the ability to go with it (which is pretty rare). Given Shanahan's comments that both he and Morgan can play in the slot though, I wouldn't be surprised to see them move Hankerson around in 3 receiver sets to create mismatches. This is, of course, assuming he does earn the spot and stay healthy this year. I think health is the only real concern at this point though given that he was really coming on in practice and even the Miami game before he got hurt, so it's hard to see him regressing in practice/play if he's healthy.

It definitely seems like the 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB set will be our base formation this year. 2 WR, 2 TE we're strong, we looked really good running the ball with 2 backs at the end of last season, and with Moss (and Armstrong), we've got enough talent to go spread too.

But I think we'll have our best talent on the field with 3 WRs, Fred Davis and Hightower/Helu. Hankerson's and Morgan's versatility at the Z and Y within the offense should allow for a ton of pre-snap movement, and with Morgan's blocking talents (and hopefully Hank's improvement in this area), we should be able to run the ball effectively with this set.

I think all 3 are going to see a ton of snaps, with Moss subbed in to keep everyone fresh

Living out here in 49er country I remember in 2011 the fans were very excited for Morgan's potential and feel that his injury took away a lot of potential in an otherwise average WR corps.

Then when the "Skins signed him away, a lot of 49ers fans were mad and in disbelief that the 49ers didn't resign him.

Living out here in 49er country I remember in 2011 the fans were very excited for Morgan's potential and feel that his injury took away a lot of potential in an otherwise average WR corps.

Then when the "Skins signed him away, a lot of 49ers fans were mad and in disbelief that the 49ers didn't resign him.

That's good to hear. I was/am excited we signed him but it's always nice to know an incoming player is good enough for the previous team's fans to be pissed of a guy wasn't re-signed. Here's to hoping he has that breakout year in Washington!

Archived