Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mad Men Season 5

MattFancy

I can't believe I've never seen this thread, I love Mad Men. What a great season so far. I think it started off slow but really picked up about 4 episodes in. I haven't seen the episode aired on June 1st yet so I've only read the posts up to May 31st.

I was so worried that they were going to kill off Peggy in the elevator shaft as she left the firm last week. Thankfully it didn't happen and now I'm stuck trying to figure out what will trigger Don's descent into his drunk, womanizing, and unhappy self again. I think Peggy's departure is the first step and I think Meagan is going to leave Don to pursue her acting career. I also agree the Lane is going to be the one to die this season, it's just the most convenient character to kill off.

Does anybody wonder where Mad Men will end? I know its signed on for I think two more seaons and Weiner has said he just wants to finish Don's story the right way or something to that effect...but what could that be? It doesn't seem nearly as easy to wrap up the world they have created here as say it would be the Soprano's or Breaking Bad where characters and plots can easily spiral out of control reaching an inevitable conclusion. Mad Men seems so different by comparison.

Season 5 has been fantastic though. Can't wait for the finale.

I was thinking about this too...

I figured they could go in two directions: lung cancer, or his 'true' identity being discovered and Don being charged with desertion. Of course, they will probably go a totally different direction!

Does anybody wonder where Mad Men will end?

I know it's just the opening credits but it has the image of a man, presumably Don because this whole thing is HIS story, falling out of a building. Is it a metaphoric fall or is it a foreshadowing of his demise?

I know it's just the opening credits but it has the image of a man, presumably Don because this whole thing is HIS story, falling out of a building. Is it a metaphoric fall or is it a foreshadowing of his demise?

That is pretty interesting thought. I always took it as Don walking into his office where ideas and advertisements and demands are always flying around 100mph(falling) but always ends with Don chilled out on the chair, calm and collected.

I do like your idea though and I feel like maybe the symbol of the empty elevator shaft my foretell SCDP's sudden fall.

---------- Post added June-7th-2012 at 10:16 AM ----------

I was thinking about this too...

I figured they could go in two directions: lung cancer, or his 'true' identity being discovered and Don being charged with desertion. Of course, they will probably go a totally different direction!

It seems like everybody knows about his identity now though. Lung cancer would be pretty ironic. He seems to be getting frustrated with the current state of the company though so maybe they go in a really opposite direction and he walks away from this fabricated life he has lived because he finally has found what he went his whole life never knowing: love.

I just saw last Sunday's episode and it was nuts to say the least. I really hope the season finale delivers like the last two episodes have. Lane's demise was saddening but very forseeable. I was sort of hoping the slimeball Pete would die but the show really needs him to continue being the sort of antagonist he is.

As far as speculation for the end of the series goes, here's my :2cents:.I think inevitably Don will commit suicide. I think he's starting to believe he'll be alone and it's all his fault. Remember his brother committed suicide in the first season when Don told him to go away and now Lane has killed himself after Don also essentially told him to go away. He also alienated Peggy and although she didn't die she still left him. So I think his fear of ending his life alone and the blame he'll feel for the demise of those around him will ultimatley lead to his end. I really hope it doesn't happen that way but that's what I'm starting to think.

Can overlook the symbolism of Jaguar as well—something really beautiful that doesn't work?

I'm a huge Sopranos fan and that's pretty much set the stage for everything leading to the demise of the lead. You can't have a "serious" show that ends with the lead riding off into the sunset. David Chase said he was planting clues about the end all the way up to the end.

Don's scene with Dow Chemical, talking about how he wants it all and is tired of the piddling **** is a signal of the end. He's at that meeting and they come back to find Lane dead. I think that's marked the apex of the story arc. Now we watch the descent? I think the story offers Don an out, vis a vis Megan, but he ignores it. Dow Chemical itself is, well, poison that they want to bring in. über nice-guy Ken Cosgrove wants no part of it, of course. He's the writer and sees all the angles and backstory knows that's the recipe for distraction.

Maybe not. Don offers an alternative ending in his chat with Lane. He says something about you start over and it's always better. Maybe he goes and reinvents himself again.

Can overlook the symbolism of Jaguar as well—something really beautiful that doesn't work?

I'm a huge Sopranos fan and that's pretty much set the stage for everything leading to the demise of the lead. You can't have a "serious" show that ends with the lead riding off into the sunset. David Chase said he was planting clues about the end all the way up to the end.

Don's scene with Dow Chemical, talking about how he wants it all and is tired of the piddling **** is a signal of the end. He's at that meeting and they come back to find Lane dead. I think that's marked the apex of the story arc. Now we watch the descent? I think the story offers Don an out, vis a vis Megan, but he ignores it. Dow Chemical itself is, well, poison that they want to bring in. über nice-guy Ken Cosgrove wants no part of it, of course. He's the writer and sees all the angles and backstory knows that's the recipe for distraction.

Maybe not. Don offers an alternative ending in his chat with Lane. He says something about you start over and it's always better. Maybe he goes and reinvents himself again.

That's some great stuff Elessar. Those are some interesting points you bring up. I hadn't thought about the symbolism inherent in Jaguar.

Also, I definitely agree that the story is offering up Megan as Don's way out of the descent he's trying to avoid. It's clear he's starting to reject her and the notion of being saved by her. This was alluded to in the previous episode where Peggy had come up with the new advertising angle for the cologne company where in the commercial the guy is being chased by women and is saved by a "Godiva" on a horse. When she tries to tell Don all about the pitch he doesn't care for it as he is wrapped up with Jaguar instead. Also, in the last episode where instead of immediately seeking solace with Megan about the tragedy of Lane's death he looks to avoid being home. I also think it's worth pointing out that Glen may represent Don's old way of life as he decides to drive him back to school rather than speak to Megan (maybe preferring his old life to his new life). So in other words I complete agree with yout that the start of Don's descent may have inevitably begun.

Now that you bring up his last conversation with Lane I think that may be a good way to end the series. Maybe we'll see him be able to reinvent himself one last time.

So any thoughts on the finale? Was kind of disappointing compared to the last 2 weeks, but I thought it was still good. Sets up nicely for next season.

Yeah...it wasn't too eventful, but certainly sets up new story lines. Pete Campbell moving to the city, a new office, Megan finally pursuing what she loves. Was disappointed in the lack of a 'WOW' moment, though...

Yeah...it wasn't too eventful, but certainly sets up new story lines. Pete Campbell moving to the city, a new office, Megan finally pursuing what she loves. Was disappointed in the lack of a 'WOW' moment, though...

I thought the last line set up some stuff for next season too. When Don says he'll have an "old fashioned". Think that could've been a little foreshadowing,

A solid show but I agree, no wow or game changer...

Roger steals the show each week.. I was saying "ReGiNa" all night...

I, for one, will welcome back the old Don. I thought the ending was great with the Bond Theme song playing and Don considering the two hotties to choose from... is there any question that since Megan isnt going to be there for him, he will be going elsewhere?

Also - I think Pete getting his ass kicked should be a regular event on the show. It's usually the highlight of each episode.

I loved the finale...I guess I wasn't expecting a "wow" moment because Mad Men rarely, if ever, goes the standard soap opera direction (like "Who shot J.R." or some **** like that lol)...the show is subtle brilliance, and having Don Draper literally and figuratively walk off the set was a fantastic visual...his look when asked "are you alone" at the bar was more than enough of a cliffhanger in my eyes.

I also thought him seeing his brother throughout the episode was telling...Don's brother hung himself after something Don said to him, and Lane just hung himself after something Don said to him as well. Don had that rotten tooth removed but while under the gas he hears his brother tell him that it's not the tooth that's rotten...could mean Don himself is rotten or maybe just his situation and surroundings are rotten (Joan whoring herself out for a partnership, Lane offing himself, etc.).

Peggy's becoming the Don Draper of her new company...Pete's still trying to become the next Don Draper of his current company (Pete: "I'll have the same view as you, Don." Don (sarcastically): "Congratulation.")...another great visual:

7362369830_a01033cc57.jpg

Joan in "scarlett" might have been a little too obvious lol...

And, yeah, Roger was definitely on LSD at the very end. I'm getting the suspicion that Roger will end up addicted next season.

---------- Post added June-12th-2012 at 07:30 AM ----------

By the way, Peggy cleans up rather nicely lol :yes:...

ellizabeth-moss-e1339391667640.jpg?w=640&h=960

Archived