Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So people can now fly

TheGoodBits

http://www.humanbirdwings.net/

Check this guys site out, and I highly encourage you to watch the videos, particularly the most recent from a couple days ago. Already 3+mil YouTube views so you might have already seen it. I can't embed the vid from my iPad but if someone wants to on a reply it would be much appreciated.

Also sounds like he's cursing a bit in Dutch toward the end. Sounds a lot like our English curse words that are of German origin.

I think personal forms of flying could very well be the next big frontier of travel that humans go for.

---------- Post added March-22nd-2012 at 07:40 PM ----------

Been confirmed fake, I believe.

If its fake, i'll be a little disappointed. Such a very cool concept.

Watch the videos of the design and build process, particularly the 3d model. There's no way this guy put this much into it if it was fake.

Unless he thought he'd get a ton of attention he could parlay into something else. I'm sorry, but I don't care what materials he used, how much time he spent designing it, etc. There is ZERO chance flapping his arms is going to give him the lift needed to fly. At best, it's a glider. At worst, it's a hoax. I suspect it's both.

Unless he thought he'd get a ton of attention he could parlay into something else. I'm sorry, but I don't care what materials he used, how much time he spent designing it, etc. There is ZERO chance flapping his arms is going to give him the lift needed to fly. At best, it's a glider. At worst, it's a hoax. I suspect it's both.

Can someone please post all the videos, particularly the engineering ones explaining the motor-assisted wings similar to those in prosthetic limbs, so please stop calling BS before actually watching them?

Edit- stupid crappy apple product. :ols:

You're skeptical of the designer saying it's a fake?

Just that someone would put that much into it if it was completely fake. It's not like he did a 45 second fake flying video and called it a day. Was it just the actual flight portion that is supposedly fake or the entire design and engineering process?

Watching a guy flap a couple of 12-foot wings and take off like a bird is akin to watching a guy throw a rock into orbit. Mechanical intuition of the most basic variety should tell you it's not physically possible to do that.

I'm not any kind of video expert, but the flapping motion of the guy's body during "takeoff" is pretty fake looking to boot. It's a great effect but there's a reason why it can't be made to look like natural human movement: it isn't.

And that's before getting into any of the more technical issues, like how he's stable in the air without any kind of substantial tail fins or feathers, which are critical to the flight capabilities of birds and aircraft alike.

An entertaining video, but clearly not real.

Wonder if these are the same people who made that video where they were running on water (running on plexiglass an inch under the water). What's up with faking human feats? It's a bold face lie that is bound to be a letdown to anyone who may have an ounce of belief in it.

That video was executed a heck of lot better than this one was because it didn't stray so far from the realm of plausibility. That aside, I don't really see the harm in these videos. Sure, you are inevitably letting down people who want to believe and are, likely, making an ass out of quite a few people who are especially gullible and insistent upon believing what they see. Nonetheless, suspending disbelief even if momentarily and forcing people to question what they know has some inherent level of value.

Archived