Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SALARY CAP/FA and the draft...how would you feel about this team?

CommDownMan

I'd cut Jammal Brown...he is terrible and can't stay on the field anyway. I really like your train of thought on building this roster though.

OK ... let's say you cut him.

How much does that impact the salary cap? He was just signed last year, how much does he get not to play?

Who do you sign for RT? How much?

Fill in the blanks Gator Bait.

I would like to replace him, but at what cost?

:helmet: The Rook

OK ... let's say you cut him.

How much does that impact the salary cap? He was just signed last year, how much does he get not to play?

Who do you sign for RT? How much?

Fill in the blanks Gator Bait.

I would like to replace him, but at what cost?

:helmet: The Rook

according to this website: http://www.thewarpath.net/WarpathRedskinsCap.htm

it would be a 6 million dollar cap hit to cut him. I'm willing to eat that in a year where we have as much cap room as we have.

I'd rather sign another UFA or draft a guy in the middle rounds to replace his roster spot. As far as starter goes, I thought Willie Smith played very well last year filling in for suspended Trent Williams. I'm not saying he is the ideal situation at RT, but I honestly don't think too many Tackles not named Heyer in the NFL would be much worse than Jammal Brown.

according to this website: http://www.thewarpath.net/WarpathRedskinsCap.htm

it would be a 6 million dollar cap hit to cut him. I'm willing to eat that in a year where we have as much cap room as we have.

I'd rather sign another UFA or draft a guy in the middle rounds to replace his roster spot. As far as starter goes, I thought Willie Smith played very well last year filling in for suspended Trent Williams. I'm not saying he is the ideal situation at RT, but I honestly don't think too many Tackles not named Heyer in the NFL would be much worse than Jammal Brown.

Only problem is the market for OT's this year is pretty bad and we would have to badly overpay for an average tackle. So we would basically take a 6 million cap hit for Brown on top of paying another, 6-8 million for an average lineman. I'm all for drafting another Tackle to push Brown and even take over before the season, but we can't release the guy.

Judging from that list, I'm fairly certain we will have Cooley restructure his contract to save us more money. That 35 million will not last us long with all the needs we have and for the draft picks.

We're not cutting Hall. :doh:

Are we not in the market at all for Finnegan then? Personally I would love it if we were. He brings an attitude to the defense but having watched a special on him he does not seem to be a headcase or have issues in fact he seems to be a great guy. But I cannot see them pushing wanting to push Wilson to #3 because I think he outplayed Hall last year and obviously Hall won't want to be #3 (of the three I think Finnegan would definitely play the slot in nickel).

Also assuming Morris loves Hall? I had not seen that elsewhere but I can't say it would surprise me.

As for the original post:

Not sure why the hate for a good young blocking tight end who is an athlete. Especially after the way Bowen worked out for us last year. The coaches seem to really like Doughty because he is so dedicated and prepares so well even as a depth player. I think it will be Doughty, Gomes, Atogwe and someone new. And I just don't see us saying goodbye to Hightower. He's all heart and I truly believe he'd take slightly less money to stay here (even though I don't see him getting much on the market anyway). That's not to say Mike wouldn't draft someone but I think Hightower will re-sign here.

But good write up. I agree with a lot of it and you did some research too.

i dont see a real good reason to cut Doughty? He is not starter material but he is servicable backup for both safety positions and also plays good special teams...

In general, these guys are the guys you want to be the backbone of your depth charts.... CHEAP and proven servicable backups that can get you through stretches in which the starters miss time due to injuries... also you can never discount the ST play...

Exactly. But, some people don't understand that and expect a backup to come in and play at the same level as the starter even though they are a backup. Doughty has played for three coaching staffs now. I would think if he was as bad as some on here claimed, he would've been gone a long time ago.

BTW OP. Great thread. A lot of time and effort on your part.

Skins have cap space but so do a lot of other teams the contracts in the OP are pretty unreasonable. Once again the worst thing the skins can do is go into the draft with no QB on the roster. The rams will have us by the ******. Another major problem is making up contracts like 3/6 and saying 2 mil cap hit. Fine for generalities but unrealistic for a full plan. I think Carriker goes for much more then 2/8, as he is one of a few 3/4 DE's available and a few teams are making the changes this offseason to the 3/4. Additionally I don't know how accurate it is, but it did come from a reliable source that Fletcher has already turned down 8 mil a year.

My thoughts about this is that the OP did a lot of work for nothing because about 2 things in the whole write up might happen but the rest is just wishful thinking. But I guess that is everyone's opinion and it really doesn't matter what we all think. It is up to the guys in the front office.

I did do a lot of work and ultimately it doesn't mean much. One thing many should note is how many FA's we can sign and how that affects us cap wise.

We have money to spend and I still see a "we should get no FA side" and the "we need to sign every big name" side. We will spend money in the offseason and even if the names are different, this probably matches a bit with the size of contracts and the number of guys brought in.

---------- Post added March-8th-2012 at 09:20 AM ----------

Exactly. But, some people don't understand that and expect a backup to come in and play at the same level as the starter even though they are a backup. Doughty has played for three coaching staffs now. I would think if he was as bad as some on here claimed, he would've been gone a long time ago.

BTW OP. Great thread. A lot of time and effort on your part.

I don't think Doughty is as bad as many say here, but based on cost, I'm not sure he's worth what we will get from Gomes.

---------- Post added March-8th-2012 at 09:22 AM ----------

Are we not in the market at all for Finnegan then? Personally I would love it if we were. He brings an attitude to the defense but having watched a special on him he does not seem to be a headcase or have issues in fact he seems to be a great guy. But I cannot see them pushing wanting to push Wilson to #3 because I think he outplayed Hall last year and obviously Hall won't want to be #3 (of the three I think Finnegan would definitely play the slot in nickel).

Also assuming Morris loves Hall? I had not seen that elsewhere but I can't say it would surprise me.

As for the original post:

Not sure why the hate for a good young blocking tight end who is an athlete. Especially after the way Bowen worked out for us last year. The coaches seem to really like Doughty because he is so dedicated and prepares so well even as a depth player. I think it will be Doughty, Gomes, Atogwe and someone new. And I just don't see us saying goodbye to Hightower. He's all heart and I truly believe he'd take slightly less money to stay here (even though I don't see him getting much on the market anyway). That's not to say Mike wouldn't draft someone but I think Hightower will re-sign here.

But good write up. I agree with a lot of it and you did some research too.

The hate for a good young blocking TE? You refering to Paulsen?

I could see THT coming back as well, but Shanny and RB's I don't think it's necessarily the case.

---------- Post added March-8th-2012 at 09:23 AM ----------

Skins have cap space but so do a lot of other teams the contracts in the OP are pretty unreasonable. Once again the worst thing the skins can do is go into the draft with no QB on the roster. The rams will have us by the ******. Another major problem is making up contracts like 3/6 and saying 2 mil cap hit. Fine for generalities but unrealistic for a full plan. I think Carriker goes for much more then 2/8, as he is one of a few 3/4 DE's available and a few teams are making the changes this offseason to the 3/4. Additionally I don't know how accurate it is, but it did come from a reliable source that Fletcher has already turned down 8 mil a year.

I didn't see the source about the contract Fletch turned down (and said as much). I used contracts from years past at similar ages...what do you think the contracts will be and why they are so unreasonable?

I don't think Carriker is a starter in any teams mind and question if someone will spend more than 4 mill per on a backup rotational guy.

Im pretty sure J. Brown will be gone just to add to Gator Bait. I thought they have an out-clause in his contract if they cut him before a certain day. So i expect that to happen, think Potter will be the guy we go after.

Coach Mike Shanahan indicated that RT Jammal Brown's future with the Redskins depends on his ability to return to 100 percent this offseason.

Brown has failed to recapture his pre-injury form after hip surgery in 2008. "That hip was by no means close to 100 percent this year," said Shanahan. "So he's going to be here throughout the offseason getting in the best shape that he can possibly get in." Brown has no guaranteed money left on the five-year, $27.5 million contract he signed after the lockout. Jan 4 - 12:57 PM

Im pretty sure J. Brown will be gone just to add to Gator Bait. I thought they have an out-clause in his contract if they cut him before a certain day. So i expect that to happen, think Potter will be the guy we go after.

Coach Mike Shanahan indicated that RT Jammal Brown's future with the Redskins depends on his ability to return to 100 percent this offseason.

Brown has failed to recapture his pre-injury form after hip surgery in 2008. "That hip was by no means close to 100 percent this year," said Shanahan. "So he's going to be here throughout the offseason getting in the best shape that he can possibly get in." Brown has no guaranteed money left on the five-year, $27.5 million contract he signed after the lockout. Jan 4 - 12:57 PM

The guananteed money is done, but the signing bonus still makes his release fee 6 mill, 1.25 mill over the 4.75 mill to keep him. I think they'll give him every shot to get healthy and stay another year. The contract itself will be easier to remove after this year. If he isn't healthy they'll get rid of him, but I don't think they'll make that decision until the summer at the earliest.

The hate for a good young blocking TE? You refering to Paulsen?

I could see THT coming back as well, but Shanny and RB's I don't think it's necessarily the case.

---------- Post added March-8th-2012 at 09:23 AM ----------

No I meant that everyone was hating on bringing Martellus Bennett here. We all hate the Cowboys, that's a given. But we clearly have made a habit (and rightfully so) of looking at young free agents that fit what we are trying to do. I like Logan Paulson but Shanahan's goal is to always add competition at every position. Bennett would be cheap and is the better player with more upside and would instantly be our best blocking tight end. Plus there is uncertainty around Cooley's health. I don't see Paulson as an eventual replacement but Bennett may be that guy down the road.

After all the success we got from Bowen last year from the Cowboys, and Cofield from the Giants, people need to quit being so against signing young, motivated players from other teams that come on cap-friendly contracts.

I don't think Carriker is a starter in any teams mind and question if someone will spend more than 4 mill per on a backup rotational guy.

It surprises me that anyone would think he ISN'T a starter! He is a 27 year old 3-4 DE coming off a career year with 5.5 sacks. He's healthy (he wasn't in his first two years) as he played in all 32 games the last 2 years, starting 31 of them. 3-4 DE's are not known for playmaking and recording a lot of stats. Yet Carriker notched 5.5 sacks and will immediately be the strongest player on your team which is huge for holding a point of attack in a 3-4. Carriker is a quintessential starter at 3-4 DE and I can't think of too many 3-4 teams that wouldn't want him/start him unless they are hurting with the cap and have other bigger needs.

Great work to get all this done. While I do not agree with a few moves, you hit on many I would love to see. Especially Griffin and VJax. Not sure how I feel with Dixon as the back up though...perhaps Vince Young as a back up?

I'd prefer Dixon over Vince Young, but I'd really prefer neither.

---------- Post added March-8th-2012 at 01:29 PM ----------

Brown was recovering from his hip surgery. I think he'll be alot better this year. It takes a while to recover from that.

---------- Post added March-8th-2012 at 01:33 PM ----------

Thanks for the clarification.

No I meant that everyone was hating on bringing Martellus Bennett here. We all hate the Cowboys, that's a given. But we clearly have made a habit (and rightfully so) of looking at young free agents that fit what we are trying to do. I like Logan Paulson but Shanahan's goal is to always add competition at every position. Bennett would be cheap and is the better player with more upside and would instantly be our best blocking tight end. Plus there is uncertainty around Cooley's health. I don't see Paulson as an eventual replacement but Bennett may be that guy down the road.

After all the success we got from Bowen last year from the Cowboys, and Cofield from the Giants, people need to quit being so against signing young, motivated players from other teams that come on cap-friendly contracts.

I was just about to say Bowen and you beat me to it.

Archived