Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fender Bender Protocol

PumpkinEscobar

I'm sure it sounds that way to you Kilmer, but you are wrong.

Happens that way in Baltimore City, and Montgomery co I know that for fact. They will at most write an incident report, and sometimes nothing at all. They will not file a police report unless they are giving someone a ticket. If he can't prove what happened, then it's no fault. Up to the insurance companies to go after each other.

I cant believe that is the regulation. Seems like it's just lazy cops in the field.

If one of my insureds calls from a scene and a cop tells them that, I'll instruct them to call 911 again.

I cant believe that is the regulation. Seems like it's just lazy cops in the field.

If one of my insureds calls from a scene and a cop tells them that, I'll instruct them to call 911 again.

You can go right ahead, but the most they will get is an incident report with names and vehicle information. They will not get a police report.

Coming from a Volunteer fire fighter in PG County, Cops will not write a report unless someone goes to the hospital, or the car is undrivable and they have to tow it.

You can go right ahead, but the most they will get is an incident report with names and vehicle information. They will not get a police report.

As long as the incident report has the ins info as well, that's all they need.

It sounds to me like you had a ****ty cop and a ****ty 911 op.

Next time politely tell the cop it's his/her job to write the report and if he refuses, call it in again.

You are entitled to your opinion, but as dockeryfan said you are incorrect.

You can dislike the policy, but I have seen it documented many places it is standard practice (unless of course a ticket is issued)

EDIT: If you want the incident report, then sure, be pushy and get it. Just better be sure you are not at fault, or you will be getting a nice ticket along with that report

It's a good policy. Having to write a report for every fender bender in fairfax county would be unreasonable. My only complaint is that the operator should know the policy and not waste my time, or the officers for that matter.

So what do we pay traffic cops for?

Maybe you've never been to NoVa, and don't understand the amount of fender benders that happen on a daily basis, but I can assure you that paying cops to attend-to every scratched bumper, is unrealistic and a waste of resources.

Closing down 3 lanes of a 4 lane highway for a fender bender. :ols:

I'm not sure in some places there is a distinction between a traffic cop and a beat cop. Some are both the same. I know some places still have them. I'd rather let the insurance companies settle a little fender bender, then call the cops and have them issue a citation for something that isn't very serious. Not only will your insurance rates go up, but someone will be facing poiints on their license.

Maybe you've never been to NoVa, and don't understand the amount of fender benders that happen on a daily basis, but I can assure you that paying cops to attend to every scratched bumper, is unrealistic and a waste of resources.

Lived there for 20 years. It's crazy. But isnt that the traffic cops job? How else do you determine fault int he accident?

To direct traffic when there's a power failure and the traffic lights are down, when there is a VIP in town and roadways need to be shut for certain periods, or traffic needs to be directed because there's an accident on the Beltway or when there's a funeral and so on. We have a lot bigger population and more traffic and extended rush hour than there is Bradenton FL. It is the world of Metro DC traffic, and it isn't pretty a lot of the time. ;)

Determining fault for an accident: each motorist makes a report, including drawing of the cars' positions, time of day, weather etc., everything that a traffic cop would do, and taking pictures help too. Most of the fender bender types of accidents here involve one driver rearending another driver, and we all know who the default party at fault is. If there is injury or major damage, the best thing is to call 911 and make them aware of the seriousness of the accident. Fender bender, not so much urgency.

Closing down 3 lanes of a 4 lane highway for a fender bender. :ols:

I'm not sure in some places there is a distinction between a traffic cop and a beat cop. Some are both the same. I know some places still have them. I'd rather let the insurance companies settle a little fender bender, then call the cops and have them issue a citation for something that isn't very serious. Not only will your insurance rates go up, but someone will be facing poiints on their license.

Rates will go up for BOTH parties if fault isnt established. That's a problem isnt it?

To write tickets obviously....gotta generate that revenue

as far as the ins co?......deny,delay and obfuscicate...and collect premiums in advance;)

Lived there for 20 years. It's crazy. But isnt that the traffic cops job? How else do you determine fault int he accident?

I took a picture of the damage to my car, the damage to the car that hit me, and a picture of the intersection. (I never even needed to provide this when I made the claim with the other drivers insurance). Nothing else is needed.

Archived