Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Boston sent home

Yomar

Details are sparse but after a morning meeting with Marty, they both agreed to spend some time apart and Boston went home for the day missing practice. He has not yet been and is still expected to play this weekend

source: LA Sports Radio

now may be a good time to say how happy I am that I have no sway at all over Redskins personell otherwise Boston would probably be our headache and Coles would have torched us on opening day

I never understood why anybody on this board wanted to bring Boston to D.C.

He is an injury proned TE playing WR. And was the wrong fit for the offense. We had big/strong possession type guys in Gardner and McCants, we didn't need another one.

I'm just glad Snyder was able to get Coles rather than going for Peerless Price. Coles is bona fide, what is Price?

I think SD is going to have to make a tough decision on Boston soon. They structured his deal conservatively - only $4.55 million upfront bonus and $550k salary this year. But I think he is due a $3 million roster bonus in March and a guaranteed salary for several million next year if he makes opening day roster. Let me be the first to speculate - is Boston in jeopardy of playing himself so deep into marty's doghouse that SD will cut him?

Here's the story:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20030924-1634-fbn-boston-chargers.html

Chargers send Boston home for disciplinary purposes

ASSOCIATED PRESS

4:34 p.m. September 24, 2003

SAN DIEGO – The Chargers sent wide receiver David Boston home before practice on Wednesday as a disciplinary measure.

Boston was sent home after a morning meeting with coach Marty Schottenheimer.

Schottenheimer was guarded in his comments about Boston, who signed a $47 million contract as a free agent in March.

"David and I had a discussion and in the course of the discussion, thought we ought to have this day (off), and he's been excused for a matter that is not related to the medical part of it," Schottenheimer said.

General manager A.J. Smith wouldn't be more specific, but did say that it wasn't one incident that led to Boston being sent home, but rather, "it's several things."

"Let's just say we've got some guidelines here to adhere to," Smith said. "And David wasn't meeting them to our expectations."

Club officials planned to discuss Boston's situations in meetings Wednesday night.

"There is no suspension yet," said Smith, who expected Boston back on Thursday.

Mitch Frankel, Boston's agent, did not return phone messages Wednesday.

Boston, a Pro Bowl selection with Arizona in 2001, has made nearly as much news off the field as on it since joining the Chargers.

He raised eyebrows when skipping the Chargers' second game with a bruised heel, then was caught leaving the bench area before the end of the 37-13 loss to Denver. He also declined to join his teammates in the locker room for Schottenheimer's post-game speech.

Last Sunday he returned to action and caught six passes for 91 yards. But before the Chargers' 24-10 loss to Baltimore, he was involved in a shouting incident with injured wide receiver Reche Caldwell.

Following that game, he declined to speak to reporters, and the Chargers said he wasn't available to reporters after Monday's light workout.

It was Smith who signed Boston to a seven-year contract, which included a $4.55 million signing bonus and $550,000 in base salary this year. Smith hoped Boston could supply balance to an offense which features Pro Bowl running back LaDainian Tomlinson.

While with the Cardinals, Boston pleaded no contest to a charge of driving under the influence of drugs. Police said he tested positive for cocaine and marijuana.

Schottenheimer expects Boston to play Sunday in Oakland.

But to do so, Boston needs to practice Thursday or Friday, which is one of Schottenheimer's many rules. Boston didn't play in the home opener because of his bruised heel, after not practicing in the week leading up to the game.

"He would certainly have to be a part of one of those days," Schottenheimer said.

It's also nice to see Marty looking like a butt with players again. I knew the guy was all "facist in the head" when he had problems with Darrell Green & Bruce Smith.

Still remember him starting Smoot over Green, despite Green clearly beating him out. Can anyone believe that NOW? I mean Darrell on his last leg in his last game was better than Smoot is today much less as a rookie. (& Darrell Green starting in "the turn around games after 0-5, god that was sweet)

Ought to be a lovely year for Marty. With KC & Denver resurging. The retirement home is waiting.

Originally posted by 69 YARDS

By the way, did Boston get a partially guaranteed contract? I think he was pushing for one wasn't he?

Only 12mil of the 1st 2yrs are gauranteed, $4mil signing bonus, $550k salary,$3mil option bonus at the end of this season, and $3.9mil next seasons salary.

The contract also includes several clauses that protect the team if Boston is suspended for any substance abuse related issues

You would think Boston would be a model player since his father is a league ref, looks like he even if he does get cut after the end of this season he would still get nearly $8mil of the guaranteed salary

:hammer:

"David and I had a discussion and in the course of the discussion, thought we ought to have this day (off), and he's been excused for a matter that is not related to the medical part of it," Schottenheimer said.

Man, if ole Marty Mart tried to spin this any harder he'd have gone into orbit. :laugh: :laugh: I mean honestly, can you think of any more flowery way to say the guy was taken to the woodshed ?

Just file it under things you thought you'd never see/hear from Marty.

David Bust-on is the type of player that you do not want on your team. I was very cool on him in free agency because of his temperment. Darrell Green said the guy has serious problems after he roughed up Fred Smoot his rookie year. He is probably crazy from steroids with a fully retracted scrotum and a pimply back. Seriously bad mojo and now Marty is his coach. Say hello to Jeff George David.

I heard that on the radio this morning they were saying he got a nipple ring and asked his teammates not to hit him too hard in practice because his shoulder pads rubbed against it and it was sore.

No, I am not kidding, and I do not think he was either. He said it was on ESPN.

All I know is that nipple rings and tackle football probably don't mix. :laugh:

bubba posted this in another thread, it gives a little insight:

"San Diego Chargers: GM A.J. Smith will decide today whether to suspend WR David Boston for multiple violations of team rules and regulations. He has had several infractions already, but the capper appears to be a shouting match with strength-and-conditioning coach Dave Redding. There was already tension between the two because of Boston's odd training practices. According to the San Diego Union-Tribune things came to a head Tuesday when Boston was fined for failing to meet the team's target weight of 235 pounds. Sources said Boston had words with Redding, then tossed the fine letter in Redding's face and made a disparaging remark about Redding and head coach Marty Schottenheimer. Redding was so upset that he followed Boston toward the players parking lot and told him not to return to the weight room again. Asked if the incident was the final straw, Smith told the Union-Tribune: "There's no final straw. I don't know how to answer that; there have been several things. We have rules and regulations to adhere to, and David hasn't been doing that to our expectations fully."

Archived