Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Gaffney had top-10 hands in 2011

HapHaszard

I think you're really underselling Moss.

Moss broke his hand that's a major injury when its the most pivotal body part required to play the position.

Also, I think its important to note that when Moss wasn't in the line-up the passing game Gaffney included did nothing.

It wasn't until Moss returned that Gaffney starting putting up really good numbers and the passing game started clicking.

Moss is just a year removed from being a top 10 receiver.

See I really like Santana and appreciate to all heck all he's given this organization, but I think your overselling him.

He might be 'just a year removed from being a top 10 receiver'; but again, even taking into account his injury, he's on the wane. Nothing wrong with that, age catches up to us all. But as he no longer posses the burst he once had to get separation from the guy covering him most plays; allied to the drops that are getting worse the older he gets; and the dumbass, self inflicted penalties that always rear their ugly head at the most costliest of times right through his career; unless he came into camp tearing it up next year and blowing everyone else away, I'd have him no higher than a reliable 4th or 5th vet. receiver on the depth chart at best behind hopefully a couple of new guys, Hankerson and the pleasantly surprising Gaffney. With, touchwood, Paul and Robinson pushing him hard for that position.

One of the main components to being a top class HC for me is not allowing sentiment into your thinking and knowing when to cut ties with proven vets. that have served you well. This year or next, Shanahan needs to cut those ties with Moss and move on to the next generation to take this forward.

Hail.

Maybe I do not understand the site, but I am pretty darn sure Hankerson dropped some catchable balls.:confused:

:helmet: The Rook

i thought he did as well. been googling like mad but cant find anything about drops in a regular season game.

maybe i'm just getting old and senile.....

Its sad when Gaffney is your best WR..

Why? He did well. His numbers, and newly discovered top 10 catch rate effectively prove you wrong if you thought he was a bad player. It was an effective trade for us where we came out like 200% It's all nothing but good news, there's nothing sad about it. If we did NOT have him, and the rest of the WRs played as they did; same injuries occurring, THAT would have been sad.

I guess the Rex/Jabar Gator teammates thing may have played a part.

The addition of Jabar Gaffney was a much needed one. Although he didn't top 1,000 yards receiving, he was the Redskins top target all season. Now just imagine if the Redskins offense had Moss, Gaffney, and Hankerson fully healthy for all 16 games. Does anyone realize how much havoc that would be for defenses to contain? They would be unstoppable because someone(namely Gaffney) will always be open.

Is Extremeskins the only place among the NFL fan forums where the options to describe p;ayer talent are hall of famer, mediocre, or scrub?

No its a forum where overrated fan favorites get unrelenting love while solid players are turned into goats for the most minor of things. He is not worth a 4th, maybe 3 years ago.

The addition of Jabar Gaffney was a much needed one. Although he didn't top 1,000 yards receiving, he was the Redskins top target all season. Now just imagine if the Redskins offense had Moss, Gaffney, and Hankerson fully healthy for all 16 games. Does anyone realize how much havoc that would be for defenses to contain? They would be unstoppable because someone(namely Gaffney) will always be open.
Do you actually call those three guys scary? Personally I feel sorry for any QB that only has that as his weapons.

Do you actually call those three guys scary? Personally I feel sorry for any QB that only has that as his weapons.

You have it backwards. You should feel sorry for these three receivers that had Grossman throw to them this past season. What I'm talking about here is the potential of all three of these receivers. Hankerson, Moss, and Gaffney weren't even on the football field at the same time during last season. Just imagine if they were. Hankerson, before he went down with a season ending injury, played greatly against the Dolphins. Gaffney was solid all year. Moss himself had an off year.

Gaffney is very reliable. If we get a WR in FA ( Colston, Vjax, Bowe) our top 4 are looking pretty solid.

i was checking the free agency list and saw that Eddie Royal is also a FA,. If i remember he had his best year statistically in his rookie year under shanahan and the fact that hes from VA makes him a very interesting candidate. I have this feeling that theres a good

Chance hell be a redskin. He was a high

Draft pick by shanny a 2nd rnder i beleive.

Our Wide Receiver group is pretty damn good.

I would like to see us pick up Bowe or draft a guy in April.

Moss, Gaffney and Hankerson could cause some damage with a good QB. Not Rex Grossman.

And maybe Robinson and Paul can progress a little more as pass catchers.

eh, i'm with pilsburypgh. out WR's are not very good. think about this- each team in our very own division this year had 2 WR's that were better than any one WR we have. and i'm not even sure its debatable. its a weak spot for our team.

now, if everything goes as good as it possibly can, then moss has another year or so where he is reliable (but not a game breaker anymore at 33), gaffney is solid (but not scary) and hankerson becomes a very good WR. even at that point we are still likely the worst in our division at WR. but at least we would be getting better.

our WR's only had one catch and run for a TD all year, which, i believe, was dead last in the league. and i might be wrong about that, cuz that might have been helus TD late in the year........we need a game breaker. bad.

i agree that bowe would be a very nice and much needed upgrade though.

Our Wide Receiver group is pretty damn good.

I would like to see us pick up Bowe or draft a guy in April.

Moss, Gaffney and Hankerson could cause some damage with a good QB. Not Rex Grossman.

And maybe Robinson and Paul can progress a little more as pass catchers.

Don't forget about Anthony Armstrong.

eh, i'm with pilsburypgh. out WR's are not very good. think about this- each team in our very own division this year had 2 WR's that were better than any one WR we have. and i'm not even sure its debatable. its a weak spot for our team.

now, if everything goes as good as it possibly can, then moss has another year or so where he is reliable (but not a game breaker anymore at 33), gaffney is solid (but not scary) and hankerson becomes a very good WR. even at that point we are still likely the worst in our division at WR. but at least we would be getting better.

our WR's only had one catch and run for a TD all year, which, i believe, was dead last in the league. and i might be wrong about that, cuz that might have been helus TD late in the year........we need a game breaker. bad.

i agree that bowe would be a very nice and much needed upgrade though.

I just don't agree. I think a QB makes a BIG difference. Look at the other QBs in our division, Eli, Romo sits to pee and Vick. All Above average QBs.

Look at what we got , Rex friggin Grossman. I can't count the times I seen him overthrow or underthrow a wide open receiver. Not to mention his penchant for throwing stupid picks.

I think its actually quite impressive the numbers that guys like Davis and Gaffney put up with Rexy throwing them the ball. Imagine a QB that can hit a guy in stride.

Skins fans always devalue our talent. Always.

---------- Post added January-25th-2012 at 09:05 PM ----------

Don't forget about Anthony Armstrong.

I didn't. I just think it may be tough for him to keep his roster spot due to his lack of production and bring in Shannys dog house last year. I hope he proves me wrong.

I just don't agree. I think a QB makes a BIG difference. Look at the other QBs in our division, Eli, Romo sits to pee and Vick. All Above average QBs.

Look at what we got , Rex friggin Grossman. I can't count the times I seen him overthrow or underthrow a wide open receiver. Not to mention his penchant for throwing stupid picks.

I think its actually quite impressive the numbers that guys like Davis and Gaffney put up with Rexy throwing them the ball. Imagine a QB that can hit a guy in stride.

Skins fans always devalue our talent. Always..

i agree 100% that our QB position is lacking- also worst in the division, clearly. i'm all aboard doing whatever we have to do to move up and draft RG3 to solidify our QB spot. and while i agree a good QB can make an average WR look good, our sorry QB does not mean our WR's are actually good.

team by team, would you rather have--

cruz, nicks, manningham

desean jackson (i dont personally like him), maclin, avant

austin, bryant (douche, but talented) and dont forget laurent robinson

or our guys?

our guys (outside of hank, who is still an unknown but we all hope he'll be good) are all not only older, but worse than most of the above WR's.

i would disagree that we devalue our talent. ive spent hours on this board every week for 7 years and we are just like every other team. we think our talent is better than just about anyones, on the whole.

and you cant blame rex every time he completes a pass and our WR's cant make something out if it. thats a damning stat. good WRs with bad QB's will still make plays.

Archived