Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Source: Dolphins to hire Joe Philbin

SC_RedskinsFan

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7485177/source-miami-dolphins-plan-hire-joe-philbin-next-coach

The Miami Dolphins plan to hire Green Bay Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin as their coach, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Philbin interviewed twice with the Dolphins, once on Jan. 7 and again on Wednesday. He interviewed Thursday for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coaching vacancy, a league source told Schefter.

Philbin decided to remain in consideration for the Dolphins job despite his son's recent drowning in a Wisconsin river. After spending a week away, Philbin rejoined the Packers on Sunday for the divisional playoff loss to the New York Giants.

I don't know much about Joe Philbin, and of course it could be a Joe Gibbs style genius lucky hire from a bigtime offensive team (who thought Joe Gibbs was a great coach vs. Don Coryell and with the talent on that SD offense?)

I think that the chances are better that we're discussing the Joe Philbin firing in a couple of seasons with disbelief that he was ever hired as the head coach in the first place. There are a lot of head coaching candidates going around these days that I've never heard of in my life and I don't know if it is a lot of teams trying to land that diamond in the rough coach, or if these guys are merely the new generation of head coaches and I haven't been paying enough attention.

Archived