Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GPS Advice Please

The Sir

Let me start by saying that I don't know a whole lot about GPS', but I'm looking to buy one for a friend that recently relocated to the DC Area. The GPS that I have and have had a while is a Garmin and I love it, so I think that's the route to go. Mine doesn't have traffic updates, show speed limits, have lane assistance or have lifetime map updates, but I can see how those would be perks and may even be necessary for some people.

Here's the three that I'm looking at (ranging in price from $75 to $118):

Least Expensive: http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-4-3-Inch-Widescreen-Portable-Navigator/dp/B001U0O7T4/ref=sr_1_5?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=gps&ie=UTF8&qid=1324560871&sr=1-5

Mid-Price: http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-4-3-Inch-Portable-Navigator-Lifetime/dp/B003ZX8AZQ/ref=sr_1_4?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=gps&ie=UTF8&qid=1324560871&sr=1-4

Most Expensive: http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-4-3-Inch-Portable-Navigator-Lifetime/dp/B003ZX8B0U/ref=sr_1_2?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=gps&ie=UTF8&qid=1324560871&sr=1-2

I've went on Garmin.com and seen where a one time purchase of a map update costs 50 or 60 bucks.

What do you guys recommend? Thanks for your help!

---------- Post added December-22nd-2011 at 02:32 PM ----------

Sorry for the double-post, it gave me an error the first time posting

I don't know which of those is better, but I would look for one which includes street names on the map and on voice navigation (maybe this is standard now, it wasn't always) and which has traffic updates (I don't even use my GPS anymore, I use my phone which shows traffic and actually accounts for traffic when estimating your travel time).

I don't know which of those is better, but I would look for one which includes street names on the map and on voice navigation (maybe this is standard now, it wasn't always) and which has traffic updates (I don't even use my GPS anymore, I use my phone which shows traffic and actually accounts for traffic when estimating your travel time).

I 2nd what ren says. If you're going to get a GPS now a days, you have to get one with traffice updates. But like her, I also just use my phone as my GPS.

I 2nd what ren says. If you're going to get a GPS now a days, you have to get one with traffice updates. But like her, I also just use my phone as my GPS.

Which app do you use for GPS?

Do you have a smartphone? if so, GPS are worthless now.

Until you lose your phone signal. Then the phone is worthless. Also, there is the small screen and dash/windshield mounting issues. Unless of course you want to hold it by hand while you drive which is an accident waiting to happen.

If you take road trips to remote places, you tend to appreciate the ever present satellite signal of a GPS. I have the Garmin Neuvi from last year. It has traffic updates and is extremely easy to use. I’d highly recommend it to anyone looking for a GPS.

Until you lose your phone signal. Then the phone is worthless. Also, there is the small screen and dash/windshield mounting issues. Unless of course you want to hold it by hand while you drive which is an accident waiting to happen.

If you take road trips to remote places, you tend to appreciate the ever present satellite signal of a GPS. I have the Garmin Neuvi from last year. It has traffic updates and is extremely easy to use. I’d highly recommend it to anyone looking for a GPS.

That's the one I bought I believe

I don't know much about GPS and do not use one...but just a heads up that cowboom has a GPS for the deal of the day. Looks like a cheap one but if you were just rolling the dice, this could be ok and comes with free shipping.

http://www.cowboom.com/deal-of-the-day.cfm

Insignia NS-CNV43 Internet-Connected Car GPS Receiver

Navigate your next road trip with this GPS that features preloaded base maps of the United States and supports real-time updates on traffic and weather conditions, gas prices and movie listings. Twitter access lets you send location updates from the road. Features: Preloaded base maps of the United States 2 million points of interest guide you toward interest...

MSRP: $79.99

Today: $24.99 FREE SHIPPING

Archived