Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DFP: Anonymous donors pay strangers' Christmas layaway accounts

btfoom

From the Detroit Free Press:

Anonymous donors pay strangers' Christmas layaway accounts

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2011111216011

After a Good Samaritan helped her pay off the layaway bill she'd accumulated to buy Christmas gifts for her grandchildren, Lori Stearnes planned to collect her paycheck today and head to Kmart anyway.

Her new plan: Pay the stranger's kindness forward by using the money she'd budgeted to instead support somebody else.

"It just gives you a warm feeling," said Stearnes, 53, of Omaha. "... With all the things going on the world, just to have someone do that is so, I don't know, it's hard to put into words."

At Kmart stores across the country, Santa seems to be getting some help: Anonymous donors are paying off strangers' layaway accounts, buying the Christmas gifts other families couldn't afford, especially toys and children's clothes set aside by impoverished parents. <rest at link>

I read this article this morning and thought it was just a very nice thing that people are doing for others, especially in the current economic climate. Made me smile to see that folks still care about each other, even strangers.

Our kids are almost adults and want for nothing. The best part of Christmas is giving gifts to needy kids.

You are 100% correct. It is great to give a give to a child who really wants/needs it. No better gift for yourself than to help someone else.

You are 100% correct. It is great to give a give to a child who really wants/needs it. No better gift for yourself than to help someone else.

I agree. Although, there have been a few times I felt "duped".

We signed up for a secret santa exchange through the county once. Went to deliver the presents to the family. And we walk into the apartment. There's a wall full of Girls gone wild dvds and others like it. There was also a full size nascar tire next to the couch. These people had money. maybe not a lot, but enough to piss away on souviner tires and nudie videos.

A second time we signed up to deliver a t'giving dinner. We delivered it the day before. We show up, nobody is home, so we wait around for 30 minutes. They eventually come home with shopping bags full of stuff from Target.

Now we stick to pulling names off the tree at church.

Not to end this post on downer I'll add this....

Last year we delivered gifts to an 8 year old girl who lived with her grandmother in a pretty crappy neighborhood. My wifes family all helped out and this girl had quite the haul. When we dropped the gifts off, the girl was seriously sick with Strep though, but she was still incredibly excited and grateful, as was her grandmother.

Archived