Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Albatross on the Couch of the Snyder Era

KDawg

So, long story short, stop firing coaches every 2 years and let one coach with one vision and one plan actually develop his team for 5 years.

I knew that already.

You're so smart.

Maybe I've misunderstood the OP, but Schottenheimer's background wasn't offense. It was a LB and defensive coach before coming a headcoach.

My point wasn't necessarily that it was "his" offense, but it was the offense that he wanted employed.

good points kdawg. we are pretty much set up the organizational stability with kyle basically being groomed to take over for shanny when he decides to call it quits. all i would like to see when that day comes is for morocco brown to be promoted to gm and for bruce to take on an oversight role of some kind.

Nice research including the run/pass numbers. As has been noted in this thread by others I obviously agree. Dan Snyder hasn't done his job of establishing a identity from the top and as a result the organization changes radically with every coaching change.

Frankly, I'm shocked that notion hasn't gotten more publicity. Not only have we been a revolving door at head coach/coordinator spots, but our philosophy changes on average once every two seasons.

This is why our QB situation has never solidified. This is why our receiver situation has never solidified. This is why our line situation hasn't solidified. It's the bane to the 'Skins existencem and it needs to be changed.

---------- Post added December-16th-2011 at 08:17 AM ----------

I believe Spurrier left because of a lack of a GM. You can't win without talent, no matter how good your system is in your mind.

I'm still not sure Spurrier left because of anything other than failure and, to be quite honest, I think Snyder had already been talking to Coach Gibbs. But yes, not having talent ruins a team, but then again, he brought in his own guys. Matthews, Wuerrfel, Anthony, etc.

good points kdawg. we are pretty much set up the organizational stability with kyle basically being groomed to take over for shanny when he decides to call it quits. all i would like to see when that day comes is for morocco brown to be promoted to gm and for bruce to take on an oversight role of some kind.

We could be if we stay patient. But even if it's not Kyle, that's okay. We just need someone with a similar offensive philosophy. Or we hit the reset button on the zone stuff and go to a power, traditional, 'Skins attack. The problem with hitting the reset button is it sets us back even more years. I would have hired Russ Grimm as our head coach instead of Shanahan and established the power game. But we didn't. That means, unless this team wants to wait 15 more years to be relevent again (15 is an exaggeration, by the way :)) we need to stick with the zone philosophy and the Shanahan type pass game off of it.

The only issue with going Smash Mouth, in today's NFL, is it truly is a passing league. But then again, just because its a trend doesn't make it the right fit for you. For instance, skinny jeans. Yeah, not my cup O' tea!

So, long story short, stop firing coaches every 2 years and let one coach with one vision and one plan actually develop his team for 5 years.

I knew that already.

Maybe I'm just being nitpicky, but I think that's only half of the equation. To me, the other true weakness that tends to lead to this situation is that the coaches we hire have too much control. Therefore, when they leave (fired, retire, etc.), so does our organizational philosophy.

I'd rather our GM or VP be the one to control that team-wide direction so that every coaching hire can be similar. Like him or not, the best case scenario for the end of the Shanahan era would be for him to step down as head coach and continue running the football operations. That way, there will be organizational continuity with our next head coach.

I believe Spurrier left because of a lack of a GM. You can't win without talent, no matter how good your system is in your mind.

I think that is partially true. I think it was harder work than Steve was willing to put in and he certainly wasn't having fun when he started letting Hue Jackson run the offense.

But you are right, Spurrier was promised a real GM when he came here. He said so in his presser and what he ended up getting was the return of Vinny.

Destino has harped on this discovery for a long time and he is dead-on.

I do believe however that Snyder has learned from his mistakes and we will now stay the course with Mike and Kyle.

Trutfully, I never saw Destino say it prior to now. But, he's absolutely correct. It's something I've noticed for some time.

I think that is partially true. I think it was harder work than Steve was willing to put in and he certainly wasn't having fun when he started letting Hue Jackson run the offense.

But you are right, Spurrier was promised a real GM when he came here. He said so in his presser and what he ended up getting was the return of Vinny.

I don't believe that is the reason Spurrier left at all. Just as everybody in the NFL noticed, he realized he was badly outclassed and had no business coaching on a level playing field (the NFL) and that college, where half the battle is won through recruitment, was where he belonged. He was a joke of an NFL coach and everybody knew it, himself included.

Not only having continuity in organizational philosphy, but not having a knucklehead in the front office with the influence that Cerrato had.

I remember after Shanahan was hired, prior to the 2010 season there were a number of interviews that quoted Snyder as saying that "as long as I have someone like Joe Gibbs or Mike Shanahan as coach, I don't need to be as involved."

I took this to suggest that perhaps we were going to have retreads here as long as Snyder owned the team. I have no doubt that Shanny sincerely told Snyder that this process was going to require the full five years, but whether Snyder believed him or not is another story. I can see Dan thinking "Yeah, Mike is saying that, but look, Joe Gibbs was away for 11 years and we made the playoffs in his second season! Mike will have us back on top in no time...."

I think these consecutive losing seasons under Shanahan have provided a dose of reality to the owner. Instant results are not guaranteed just by bringing in a decorated coach. Hopefully this thinking will serve Snyder well in the future, as well as him realizing what the real problem was during his first decade here.

I agree with most everything the OP has said, except I think he is being a bit too kind to Snyder. Yes, it is true that he was a 'Fan" who wanted to win badly, but he was also a man with an ego who wanted to put his mark on the team so he could take credit for the success. I still remember taking my son to a preseason game the season following Snyder's first year as an owner when they lost in the divisional playoffs to the Bucs, and there on the inside cover of the program guide was a picture of Dan gripping a football surrounded by the Lombardi trophies that the Skins of years past had won. And in the text accompanying the picture were praises and accolades for Snyder's leadership as an owner that led the Skins to their deepest playoff run in some time. To me that said it all.

IMO the big turning point that took the Skins on a downhill path to the basement of the NFL has to be the firing of Shottenheimer after only one season. Marty appeared to have the Skins heading in the right direction but Snyder's ego was hurt by the fact that he wasn't going to have the chance to make his personal mark on the team with Marty at the helm so Dan fired the guy after only one season and we all know the rest of the story.

It could very well be that the debacle of the 2008 draft and the rumor that the Malcom Kelly pick was Snyder's decision could very well be what finally brought Snyder to his senses and made him realize that he doesn't know football and needs to hire people who do know football and let them handle things.

The OP is 100% correct. IMO the Skins are a mess due to Snyder's on-the-job training/fantasy football approach to ownership.

I have NEVER liked Mike Shanahan. He is nothing but a NFL politician to me. I don't think he can get this team to the playoffs in the next couple of years because it will take too long to develop the roster. Shanahan tried to make something happen in 2010 with the roster he had and set himself back a year.

Bruce Allen is the key. If he can emerge as a strong GM, this organization could carry over nicely to an intelligent choice for the next Head Coach.

Archived