Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What 20 players would you want to keep on this team?

issapunk

It depends.

Who is replacing the guys I drop?

Are these 1st round picks? Second round picks?

Are we keeping guys for a run at the playoffs this year, next year, in 5 years?

Here is the list of the first 20 guys I would keep regardless of timeframe.(In order of pereference)

Kerrigan

Orakpo

Davis

Fletcher

Helu

Landry

Cofield

Moss

Williams

Hall

Neild

Hank

AA

Gano

Young

Rocca

Bowen

Thompson

Barnes

OJ

Orakpo - yes

Kerrigan - yes

Landry - maybe, if the price is right

Fred Davis - yes

Hankerson - yes

Fletcher - no :( He's lost a step.

Trent Williams - yes

Roy Helu - yes

Will Montgomery -yes

DeAngello Hall - yes

Darrell Young - yes

Barry Cofield - yes

Chris Nelid - yes

Chester - yes

Brandon Banks - no

Stephen Bowen - yes

Adam Carricker - yes

Niles Paul - yes

Tim Hightower - yes

I would also keep Keyaron Fox and Lorenzo Alexander.

*Note, active roster only*

If I have to start a team with 20 players from our roster, I'm going with youth and potential, at least as much as I can hope they might have, which means players like Moss and Fletcher aren't making my final cut. Would have to assume we'd be drafting a QB high after putting this team together. I'm also assuming we're stikcing with a 3-4 alignment, one or two things might change if we went back to a 4-3, but that's a different argument altogether. Here's my team (ages in parentheses)

QB: None

RB: Roy Helu (22), Darrel Young (24)

WR: Leonard Hankerson (22), Niles Paul (22)

TE: Fred Davis (25)

OL: Maurice Hurt (24), Will Montgomery (28), Trent Williams (23), Chris Chester (28)

DL: Stephen Bowen (27), Barry Cofield (27),

LB: Brian Orakpo (25), Ryan Kerrigan (23), Perry Riley (23)

DB: Dejon Gomes (23), DeAngelo Hall (27), Kevin Barnes (25), Josh Wilson (26), LaRon Landry (27)

SPC: Graham Gano (24)

Justification: With only 20, there are a few people that are tough to leave off, but as I said, I'm going with youth and potential.

QB: We don't have a QB that would make my cut, both are 30+ and have no real NFL future.

RB: I'm keeping Roy Helu, he's shown enough so far to at least merit a spot as a change of pace back, and maybe he can be a lead guy if you run a lot of sweeps and toss plays. I'm also keeping Darrel Young...I like what I've seen of him, and if we have a young rookie QB, I'd want to run a lot, which means I want a solid young FB to plow the way.

WR: Hankerson and Paul. Draft picks that have played. Haven't shown a lot, but at least seem capable enough to hold down spots, and young enough to develop.

TE: Fred Davis. A must, both on talent and as a safety valve for the (presumably) rookie QB.

OL: I'm keeping most of this intact. I thought the line looked pretty good the early part of this season and could continue to do so with good health and time. All of them are under 30, save Jammal Brown who was not included. This position would need to be drafted heavily for depth, but Williams, Montgomery and Chester make up a solid 3/5, and I'd liek to see more of what Hurt can provide.

So nine on offense. Now the defense, who I think has looked pretty good most of the year and would look even better if the offense would ever give them a breather.

DL: Bowen and Cofield. Two solid pieces who have gotten penetration or, in Cofield's case, have willingly played out of position and still managed to make an impact batting down passes, etc.

LB: Orakpo and Kerrigan are musts. I'm also keeping Perry Riley to man an inside spot, it's time to see what he's got.

DB: Keeping a bunch of them. It's easy to pick on them when things aren't going will, but I'm comfortable with this group...again, when the offense gives them a breather. I'm willing to roll with Hall and Wilson, and Landry has flashed too much potential not to put him at SS. I'd let Gomes and Barnes fight it out for the FS spot, I think Barnes would be better there anyway, long term. Make Barnes the 3rd CB on nickel packages and bring in Gomes, if Barnes wins the starting FS spot.

SPC: Gano as kicker. He's young, he's improved a ton from last season, and he's got enough leg for two kickers. Keep him.

Tough omissions: Fletcher of course, but he's 36 and I need to look to the future. Carriker...he's looked pretty solid but I think he can be replaced. Keyaron Fox...I really wanted to make a spot for him, I think he has good leadership qualities and won't lose you a game, but I went with Perry Riley and youth instead. Atogwe was a tough omission, but he's 30 and hurt too much for me to consider when I'm only keeping 20 guys. Rocca was another tough one, but he's 37 and I couldn't spend a spot on him.

While I'm mostly bitter about the results, I believe on paper our roster is where it should be right now. We have almost 20 players that are either rookies or 2nd year players. We desperately needed that, but reality is that also costs you in the short term.

There are honestly about 40 players or so who I think we should continue to build around... But to narrow it down to 20:

Offense (10):

QB - none

RB - Hightower, Helu

FB - none

TE - Cooley, Davis

WR - Moss, Armstrong, Hankerson, Paul

OL - Williams, Montgomery

Defense (9):

DL - Bowen, Cofield, Carriker, Jenkins

LB - Orakpo, Kerrigan, Fletcher

CB - Hall

S - Landry

ST (1)

P - Rocca

I love the bulk of our defense. I like what we have at RB, TE and WR. And I really like the fact that we have so many young players. I truly feel like there is a lot of long term potential on our roster now.

The only thing I'm really desperate for is QB and OL. If we go into next season with Beck and/or Grossman again, I'm going to be freaking miserable. Again.

Trent Williams

Maurice Hurt

Will Montgomery

Jamall Brown

Tim Hightower

Roy Helu

Santana Moss

Leonard Hankerson

Niles Paul

Fred Davis

Ryan Kerrigan

Brian Orakpo

London Fletcher

Rocky McIntosh

Barry Coefield

Josh Wilson

Kevin Barnes

Laron Landry

O.J. Atogwe

Jarvis Jenkins

thats it

What is everyones beef with Rocky btw?

He sucks in coverage.

If nothing else, what a heck of a rookie class we managed this year!?

I honestly think if Paul and/or Hankerson develop like I think they could, we might just be a QB and some offensive lineman away from being a serious contender. Obviously that's way easier said than done, but if we somehow manage to get Andrew Luck we immediately become a "young team to watch."

---------- Post added November-8th-2011 at 10:51 PM ----------

How does this look for a starting lineup next year?

QB: Luck

RB: Helu

FB: Young

WR: Moss, Hankerson, Paul

TE: Davis

OL: Williams. Lichtensteiger, Montgomery, Chester/Hurt, Second round pick at RT?

DL: Cofield, Bowen, Jenkins/Carriker

LB: Orakpo, Fletcher, Riley, Kerrigan

DB: Hall, Landry, Atogwe/Barnes, Wilson

That team would be a lot of fun to watch develop I think.

I'm going to do this in the laziest way possible, and yes, I'm going to reference Madden so I don't have to type a lot. The entire Redskins core collection, minus Brown and Cooley, plus the active rookies. (I'm being slightly facetious, by the way, so don't flame me)

Trent Williams

Maurice Hurt

Will Montgomery

Jamall Brown

Tim Hightower

Roy Helu

Santana Moss

Leonard Hankerson

Niles Paul

Fred Davis

Ryan Kerrigan

Brian Orakpo

London Fletcher

Rocky McIntosh

Barry Coefield

Josh Wilson

Kevin Barnes

Laron Landry

O.J. Atogwe

Jarvis Jenkins

thats it

He's just not very good. He played well at the begining of the year, but his play has really fell off lately. I wouldn't be mad if he was still on the team though.

KInda sad when I did this all I could come up with is 20 on the dot.....

RB Roy Helu

WR Santana Moss, Leonard Hankerson, Niles Paul

TE Fred Davis

OL Trent WIlliams, Chris Chester

DL Adam Carriker, Barry Cofield, Stephen Bowen, Jarvis Jenkins

LB Brian Orakpo, Ryan Kerrigan, London Fletcher

CB DeAngelo Hall, Josh Wilson

S LaRon Landry, OJ Atogwe

ST Graham Gano, Sav Rocca

Archived