Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What 20 players would you want to keep on this team?

issapunk

I was thinking about what players on our roster are actually worth having if you were to build your own team and I wondered if I would even want to keep 20.

I would keep:

Orakpo

Kerrigan

Landry

Fred Davis

Hankerson?

Fletcher

Trent Williams

Roy Helu

Will Montgomery

DeAngello Hall?

Darrell Young?

Barry Cofield

Chris Nelid?

Chester?

Brandon Banks

Stephen Bowen

Adam Carricker?

Niles Paul?

Tim Hightower

So, I guess I put a question mark next to guys I wasn't sure of. It was actually a lot harder to make this list than I wish it would be. Not many offensive players on their either. Pretty sad that as a Redskins fan, I probably would not have included our QB in this list for at least the past 10 years.

20? Let's see:

Orakpo

Kerrigan

Landry

Atogwe

Hall

Fletcher

Jenkins

Carriker

Cofield

Bowen

Gomes

Nield

Helu

Hankerson

Young

Paul

Williams

Montgomery

Hightower

Davis

Of course, it is dependent on how long you're talking about. For next year, those guys. For the next 5-10, I'd probably take Fletch off (don't think he'll play that long) and add Josh Wilson.

The 20 players from our current roster that I would keep;

Backs:

Roy Helu

Darrel Young

WRs:

Santana Moss

Leonard Hankerson

Anthony Armstrong

TEs:

Fred Davis

Chris Cooley

OL:

Kory Lichtensteiger

Trent Williams

Will Montgomery

Chris Chester

DL :

Barry Cofield

Adam Carriker

Jarvis Jenkins

LB:

Ryan Kerrigan

Brian Orakpo

London Fletcher

DBs:

LaRon Landry

OJ Atogwe

ST:

Sav Rocca

HB

Helu

WR

Hankerson

Paul

TE

Fred Davis

Logan Paulsen

FB

Darrell Young

OL

Trent Williams

Kory Lichtensteiger

8 guys on offense...more than I thought it'd be...

DE

Jarvis Jenkins

Stephen Bowen

DT

Barry Cofield

OLB

Kerrigan

Orakpo

MLB

nothing...fletcher is great, but I'm looking at this list in a rebuilding context.

CB

Josh Wilson

Brandyn Thompson

FS

OJ Atogwe

Dejon Gomes

SS

Laron Landry

K

Gano

P

Rocca

Atogwe barely makes the age cut, not many hard choices to be made, sadly enough.

Funnily enough I sat down and did the same thing earlier.

In an ideal World, this is whom I'd want to keep on the roster next year and what I'd want to add:

First line- Starter/ Second line- Backup.

Needs in red.

Offense.

QB.

ST.

BU.

RB. Helu/ Hightower/ Royster/ Torrain - 3 from 4 after camp, with probably Torrain cut.

FB.

Young.

BU.

WR.

ST. #1 Guy/ Flanker.

Austin/ Hankerson/ Paul/ Robinson.

BU, and maybe another starter.(Or maybe just keep Moss to give the rookie QB a reliable, vet. target. That would work for me also next year.).

TE.

Davis.

Cooley/ Paulsen.

LT.

Williams.

BU.

LG.

ST.

Lichtensteiger.

C.

ST.

Montgomery.

RG.

ST.

Hurt.

RT.

ST.

Smith.

Defense.

LDE.

Jenkins.

Bowen.

NT.

Cofield.

Nield.

RDE.

Carriker.

Worthington. (Starters/ positions subject to change.).

ROLB.

Orakpo.

BU.

RILB.

ST.

Riley.(Still a question mark over him as we stand for me, so he's only pencilled in.).

LILB.

Fletcher. (I figure we can get one more starting season out of Fletch to allow us to address more pressing needs.).

BU.

LOLB.

Kerrigan.

Alexander. (With Marcus White in the mix somewhere.).

RCB.

Wilson.

BU.

LCB.

ST.

Hall. (With Brandyn Thompson in the mix as well.).

FS.

Atogwe.

BU.

SS.

Landry. (Been a little disappointed in him this year. But then you have to take into account his time off, and no camp. He's still getting back to full game fitness and totally back into the swing of things.).

Gomes.

Teams.

K Gano.

P. Rocca.

LS. Sundberg.

With maybe Banks still as the returner. But I honestly can't justify that spot as of now.

So I make that 39 players here already (including Banks and Torrain- 26 of whom will be 26 or under); with 14 spots to fill.

Of course a lot can change in the evaluation of the young guys over the next 8 games, but as of right now, that's whom I'm comfortable with going forward.

Hail.

*Edit* I know you said 20 players in your OP, but as I'd looked at the whole roster I thought I'd go with that.

If you were starting over from scratch I'm not sure we have 20 players worth keeping.

Helu, Young, Davis, Williams, Monty, Paul, Austin, maybe Hankerson and Hightower.

Bowen, Jenkins, Cofield, Orakpo, Kerrigan, Landry, Wilson, maybe Atogwe but he's old soon anyway.

Rocca, and unbelievably Gano as well.

That's 19

Hmm, maybe Paulsen too.

Still, those are mostly scrubs on the offense and most of them are role players/backups.

Fletcher

Orakpo

Kerrigan

Carriker

Cofield

Bowen

Jenkins

DHall

KBarnes (there's something to be said about a sure tackler in the secondary)

DGomes

Atogwe

Landry

Hightower

Helu

Williams

Lictenstieger

Montgomery

Hankerson

Paul

Rocca

---------- Post added November-7th-2011 at 10:06 PM ----------

Don't sleep on Gomes. He's got some potential as a package player.

Helu

Young

Moss (old but I'll take whatever production he has left)

Hankerson

Paul

Davis

T. Williams

Montgomery

Lichtensteiger

Cofield

Neild (I suppose... any young NT with potential is probably worth keeping)

Bowen

Jenkins

Orakpo

Kerrigan

Fletcher (see Moss... even if he's only got a year left that year is valuable)

Riley (I still think he has potential... think he could be starting later this year)

Hall (he's near the bottom of the 20 though)

Wilson

Landry

On the bubble... Hightower, Torain, Atogwe, Cooley, Chester, Carriker, Armstrong (decent players but really just average starters at this point, not very high ceilings) Barnes, Austin (have some potential, just not sure they will ever reach it)

And while I like what Rocca and Gano have done this year I dont think a punter or kicker would be in my top 20.

Anyone mentioned in this post is at least worth keeping. Along with young guys like Mo Hurt, Marcus White and Dejon Gomes. Pretty much everyone else can go.

Shortening the roster to just 20 players would be really hard right now. I think that we have kids that are not that bad as a whole.

So I like what GHH did so far, but I would add some twists to it.

First I wouldn't mind having Grossman as a Back-up QB. Sure he tends to give the ball to often, but he also can get the job done, which is what I expect from a Back-up QB.

I'd be fine with Monty at C, and I'm not sold yet on Cook. Sure he didn't looked great in his first starts, but I'm okay to give him a little more time. I'm fine with Hall as a starting CB as well.

And I'd keep Moss as well in the WR corp.

And I'd keep Moss as well in the WR corp.

Not much love for Moss around here... He was getting a first down on 80% of his catches before getting injured.

Yeah, somehow I totally overlooked him. I could keep Moss around another year both to help the new QB settle easier with a reliable target; and to free up another area we can attack.

I'll add him to him the post/ list.

Hail.

What...no one wants to keep John Beck? (Too soon?)

This thread is why I don't believe we are that far off. 2 years ago, could we have filled ONE legitimate list? I don't think so. Now, there are very good players, players with a lot of potential, that are being left off. With every list I read, I ask "but what about so and so?"

This offseason we'll see O-line depth (i.e. more than Sean Locklear!), a WR with some game-breaking ability, and FINALLY a GODDAMNED QB!!!

Archived