Blame Shanahan!

He's not even a real head coach anyway!

DeAngelo could have been a great corner,

It's a-true,

Instead he's burned up like a piggy

On a barbecue,

Should we blame our pass rush?

Should we blame our punts?

Or the fact that we can't replace everyone at once?

Heck, no!

Blame Shanahan!

Blame Shanahan!

With all his zone-block hullabaloo,

And that ***** Jim Haslett too,

Blame Shanahan!

Shame on Shanahan, for...

The butts we must cut,

The trash we must bash,

The failed third-and-ones,

Must all be undone,

We must blame him for all the fuss,

Before somebody thinks of blaming us!

0SDrqa-eTXU

…………

Now to the real point of this thread, and why I'm making it separate from the general coaching/play calling thread. I think we need to discuss a simple theory that I know a decent amount of people agree with—namely, that nobody could have taken over in 2010 and consistently won with this team. Not Bill Belichick, not Bill Parcells, not Vince Lombardi. Jesus ****ing Christ would struggle to win with this roster. He'd have a better chance at hitting a curveball. (Obscure references to 20-year-old movies FTW!)

Think about the giant **** sandwich Mike Shanahan was handed when he signed up for this gig. In the year and a half he's been here, he's had two depleted drafts (yes, our 2011 draft was depleted, we traded down mostly just to get picks we should have had to begin with, those would have been extra picks in a normal draft) and a lockout to overcome in rebuilding this roster. So much damage was done in the preceding years that we're undermanned at nearly every position. Yet plenty of folks here and practically tripping over themselves to declare that Mike is a failure.

How many players on this roster would scare us if we were playing against them next week? Are there even five? Fred Davis, Brian Orakpo, Ryan Kerrigan, and… who? Landry is hit-or-miss (literally). Roy Helu might scare people eventually, same with our young defenders, same with our young D-linemen. But why would we expect anyone to win with these guys? And do you notice how many of the guys we can reasonably expect to have a chance of becoming a stud have been added in the past two years?

My belief is that we're running an offensive system that's proven to work when you have good players, a defensive system that will continue to improve as we add more pieces that actually fit, and an overall roster-building strategy that's light years ahead of what we used to have. Like I said in another thread, I believe that blaming Shanahan for our losses this year is like blaming the next president of Uganda for all of his country's problems if it's not a first world nation within a year and a half of him taking office. But I want to hear from those who are already deeming Shanny a failure. What, specifically, would you have done differently? Not something vague like "better playcalling." (Personally, I believe Kyle's main weakness is the fact that he's not used to calling plays for an untalented roster, but that's a topic for the play calling thread.) What are the big-picture decisions that you would change? What would you have done that you think would allow this group of players to succeed?

Yes i agree with this post. people have no patience whatsoever. I recall many people saying "We wont be competitive till 2013" last summer. But since we went 2-0 in the beginning of the season, people showered themselves with koolaid thinking we would be competitive this season. We have one of the least talented, if not least talented roster right now. Give Shanny another two years to implement his system and put HIS guys in there. But ****, we all know thats not gonna happen, especially because Snyder thinks the same way the majority of the people here on ES do.

Lots of ___ sandwiches in the league, somehow get turned around a little bit better than this by now. I'm not about firing anyone or anything like that, and if we get RGIII, I think we'll be oK next year. But not pleased that I see first year coaches come in and turn around moribund franchises (or at least set a good pace for the following year.)

Yes i agree with this post. people have no patience whatsoever. I recall many people saying "We wont be competitive till 2013" last summer. But since we went 2-0 in the beginning of the season, people showered themselves with koolaid thinking we would be competitive this season. We have one of the least talented, if not least talented roster right now. Give Shanny another two years to implement his system and put HIS guys in there. But ****, we all know thats not gonna happen, especially because Snyder thinks the same way the majority of the people here on ES do.

What over the past two years has led you to believe that?

I agree on the patience thing - we still need a QB to develop before we can REALLY say if Shanahan has done a good job or not.

The one nagging thing for me is this: I'm still not convinced that the roster is any more talented or deep than it was when Shanahan took over. After two years of "legitimate" management, it should be.

Fans on here saying we should have signed Nnamdi this offseason, or maybe all the fans saying we should fire Shanny right now. Or all the crazy fans saying we should tank the season for luck. Sounds like Snyder to me.

When did Snyder say any of those things? Maybe you meant to say "Vinny" instead of "Snyder." Then I would agree with you.

You said it yourself. The fans said it. Not Snyder.

When did Snyder say any of those things? Maybe you meant to say "Vinny" instead of "Snyder." Then I would agree with you.

You said it yourself. The fans said it. Not Snyder.

Well Snyder cant say jack anymore since Shanny basically told him to back off for a couple years.

But yes, him and Vinny(how could i forget this piece of crap)

Watch how long it takes Indy. They are refusing to do the mediocre plan of winning. Do it like a Band-aid and get it over with.

Well Snyder cant say jack anymore since Shanny basically told him to back off for a couple years.

So since Shanny did that (not arguing that he didn't), how does that help your original post that Snyder won't let him carry his plan out?

---------- Post added November-1st-2011 at 12:20 AM ----------

Watch how long it takes Indy. They are refusing to do the mediocre plan of winning. Do it like a Band-aid and get it over with.

Manning is that team. They have no backup QB. They can't be mediocre because they aren't. With Manning, they're great. Without, they suck.

What, specifically, would you have done differently? Not something vague like "better playcalling." (Personally, I believe Kyle's main weakness is the fact that he's not used to calling plays for an untalented roster, but that's a topic for the play calling thread.) What are the big-picture decisions that you would change? What would you have done that you think would allow this group of players to succeed?

Oh no, lol, this question is the worse thing you could ask after that excellent diatribe. It's way too easy for anyone to come out and say "we should've traded the farm and taken Cam Newton" or "we should've never traded for McNabb" or "we should've traded Haynesworth immediately following the 09 season", etc...

Here comes the hindsight is 20/20 crowd. :ols:

By the way, I still think we could win some games this season once we get Trent back.

Oh no, lol, this question is the worse thing you could ask after that excellent diatribe. It's way too easy for anyone to come out and say "we should've traded the farm and taken Cam Newton" or "we should've never traded for McNabb" or "we should've traded Haynesworth immediately following the 09 season", etc...

Here comes the hindsight is 20/20 crowd. :ols:

We should have convinced Luck to come out last year so he would be the number one pick and then taken Newton with the 10. :silly:

I beat you at your own game, tso! HA HA HA!!

So since Shanny did that (not arguing that he didn't), how does that help your original post that Snyder won't let him carry his plan out?].

Because Snyder is almost as impatient as many people on ES are.

IF(Hypothetical) Shannys 3-4 D next year regresses, and the offense does not get any better, i could see Snyder pulling the plug after the 2012 season IF Shanny shows no improvement.

Of course, this is all hypothetical since we have not even finished this season yet. But the future for this season looks very dark, and depending on the moves Shanny makes this offseason if we dont see improvement in 2012, I KNOW fans on ES will be calling for his head next year(they are already calling for it now), and probably Snyder too.

It's way too easy for anyone to come out and say "we should've traded the farm and taken Cam Newton"

Here comes the hindsight is 20/20 crowd.

Interestingly for a South Park thread, you kind of reference "CAPTAAAAAAAAAIN Hindsight! The Hero of the Modren (yes, pronounced mod-ren lol) Age"

Because Snyder is almost as impatient as many people on ES are.

IF(Hypothetical) Shannys 3-4 D next year regresses, and the offense does not get any better, i could see Snyder pulling the plug after the 2012 season IF Shanny shows no improvement.

Of course, this is all hypothetical since we have not even finished this season yet. But the future for this season looks very dark, and depending on the moves Shanny makes this offseason if we dont see improvement in 2012, I KNOW fans on ES will be calling for his head next year(they are already calling for it now), and probably Snyder too.

Fair enough. I don't think Shanny is as impatient as a lot of people think he is, at least now anyway. He's had time to mature as an owner. First few years, yeah, he was impatient. I think though he's settled down.

To be fair, there were posters calling for Shanny's head last year, too, and Snyder didn't do anything.

I'm willing to give Shanahan 1 or 2 more years. He needs to show some MAJOR signs of improvement next year if he wants to make it to year 4. When I say major improvements I mean winning at least 1 playoff game next year!!!

If Shanahan fails the rest of this year and next, I think he will walk away to keep his HOF legacy in tact. Snyder won't fire this man after next season simply because he has to be excited that despite our recent struggles, this organization is definitely in the right direction.

How can you win with journeyman quarterbacks in the first place? Back in training camp after the lockout, I had a negative feeling about the Redskins quarterback situation. When Grossman played in the final 3 games of 2010, he played okay, but not well enough to even be considered a starter going into 2011. And I know how crazy Mike Shanahan was about Beck, but how can you even have a QB compete for a starting job that hadn't played in a regular season game in 4 years?

Very poor evaluations on the head coach who claims to know quarterbacks!!!!!

Alright, so let's say that we finish this season off dismally like we all expect and we draft a QB that we all agree is good for us. Then, next year the rookie doesn't start for a bit and our team looks shaky like this year. He comes in and is somewhat effective but obviously needs time to develop. We finish next season at 6-10 or 7-9. Do we all want Shanny to get fired or give him another year? My point is this, if we are showing some signs of improvement and moving in the right direction next year, but still are not good enough to compete for the division or wild-card, do we say Shanny had enough time and call it quits?

In my opinion, I say we give him his 5 years and if we still aren't there, hire a young, hungry coach. Our roster will absolutely be much better by then and some fresh blood could be the answer. I definitely think people that want to fire SHanny right now are exactly the same as people who are responsible for the mismanagement of this team for the past decade.

If Shanahan fails the rest of this year and next, I think he will walk away to keep his HOF legacy in tact. Snyder won't fire this man after next season simply because he has to be excited that despite our recent struggles, this organization is definitely in the right direction.

If Shanahan was concerned about his legacy, he would have never allowed us to get blanked. He could have gotten 3 points and kept his legacy in tact. Snyder will not fire Shanny, he would have to quit and Shanny wont quit. Dan is learning from other owners, like Pittsburg, stay the course.

Archived