Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Picks, Pats, and Pardons (Week 8)

kleese

Last Week: 8-5

Season: 73-30

Redskins: 4-2

Against the Spread: 16-11-1 (Last Week 3-1)

Lock of the Week: 3-4 (Last Week 1-0)

Last Week's Pats: Another solid week ATS and finally got back on track with my lock as the Cowboys pasted the helpless Rams. Best pick of the week was going with Atlanta to not only cover, but win outright in Detroit.

Last Weeks Pardon's: Second time this year I called for the Cardinals to pull off a big upset and the second time this year I have looked like a moron on for doing so... Also missed badly on the Texans-Titans game.

This Week's Picks:

New Orleans at St. Louis: Things looked promising last year for the Rams; now I'm wondering how Steve Spagnuolo can possibly keep his jobs. The Rams are completely lifeless in all phases right now.

Saints 37, Rams 20

Arizona at Baltimore: Just when you're ready to annoint the Ravens as a Super Bowl favorite, they go out and absolutely vomit on the field like they did in Jacksonville on Monday night. That was as disgusting an offensive performance as you will see from a contending team. This is an easy bounce back pick this week, but if I'm a Ravens fan, I'm concerned.

www.edkleese.blogspot.com

Agree with all the picks, should go 13-0

Been doing this for 6-7 years now and I can't recall even one undefeated week. Maybe I snuck one in there somewhere, but if so, it's a major exception. Testament to the parity the NFL has tried to create... Each week you have crapshoots and upsets.

---------- Post added October-28th-2011 at 07:04 AM ----------

I literally laughed a bit when I saw that you considered a Redskins win over Buffalo an upset kleese. My how I long for the days where we expected to win and not hope to win.

It's been so long since I truly expected to win that I have forgotten what it feels like. I just do my best to put my personal trail of heartbreak in the rearview and instead focus on the here and now.

I just can't pick the Redskins to win this week. The way I am looking at is if I wasn't a Redskin fan. If I saw a team like this play two straight weeks and they got dominated by the pass and now they have to play a team who loves to throw the ball, I wouldn't pick them. The fan in me says we might win this game, but with money on the line, I have to go with the Bills. :(

I just can't pick the Redskins to win this week. The way I am looking at is if I wasn't a Redskin fan. If I saw a team like this play two straight weeks and they got dominated by the pass and now they have to play a team who loves to throw the ball, I wouldn't pick them. The fan in me says we might win this game, but with money on the line, I have to go with the Bills. :(

We didn't get dominated by the pass but the run. and the Bills can run it. But the Bills are different in our respect. they don't have that mobile QB that has given us fits (yes including Romo sits to pee on this one). Also everyone is pointing to the great job the Bills did with NE. Well NE has a very average D and when your offense that has won every game for you gives up the ball 4 times you are bound to lose that game. I am not saying we win this game, but looking back I say we have a better chance in this game than we had against Eagles and Panthers.

We didn't get dominated by the pass but the run. and the Bills can run it. But the Bills are different in our respect. they don't have that mobile QB that has given us fits (yes including Romo sits to pee on this one). Also everyone is pointing to the great job the Bills did with NE. Well NE has a very average D and when your offense that has won every game for you gives up the ball 4 times you are bound to lose that game. I am not saying we win this game, but looking back I say we have a better chance in this game than we had against Eagles and Panthers.

I am basing our chance to win on the mobile ability of Fitzpatrick as well. However, when I look at the way the Bills sling it around, I think our secondary wants no part of that. But like I said, due to the mobility talents of Fitzpatrick, we might could get a good rush going Sunday. If money wasn't involved, I would swear the Skins would win.

I am basing our chance to win on the mobile ability of Fitzpatrick as well. However, when I look at the way the Bills sling it around, I think our secondary wants no part of that. But like I said, due to the mobility talents of Fitzpatrick, we might could get a good rush going Sunday. If money wasn't involved, I would swear the Skins would win.

Fitzpatrick being immobile is a myth. His mobility is one of the cited reasons he's surviving behind the Buffalo o-line. Now, he is injured, so he might not be as mobile, but full strength Ryan Fitzpatrick is a mobile quarterback.

The Bills seem to run quick pass patterns which might be the way to beat our defense. We don't really press the WRs so if QBs are going to pop little 5-yard passes all day, they should have an easy time doing it. We thrive against the seven-step drops since our DL/OLB do a good job of getting pressure and helping the DBs out.

Fitzpatrick being immobile is a myth. His mobility is one of the cited reasons he's surviving behind the Buffalo o-line. Now, he is injured, so he might not be as mobile, but full strength Ryan Fitzpatrick is a mobile quarterback.

Yeah, you have to be a little mobile to play QB in the NFL, but I am comparing him to the last two QBs we had to face. (Cam and Vick)

We are talking mobile as in mobile enough to burn your D for 30 yards or so like Cam and Vick did. We are also talking Romo sits to pee mobile where you think you have him and then you don't. Sorry Ryan doesn't have those qualities even when healthy. Buffalo has this winning record because of one think IMO. turnovers, they lead the league. If you watched that Eagles game or the NE game you would see that if just one less turnover happened in either of those games the Bills loose. Minimal mistakes is a key for us.

It's all we could do to score 20 points with everybody healthy.

How in the hell we'll score enough to beat Buffalo is beyond me when our left side Oline is out and we're playing a green QB to go along with a bunch of wet behind the ears wide receivers.

I look for at least a 14 point deficit heading into the 4th quarter.

We are talking mobile as in mobile enough to burn your D for 30 yards or so like Cam and Vick did. We are also talking Romo sits to pee mobile where you think you have him and then you don't. Sorry Ryan doesn't have those qualities even when healthy. Buffalo has this winning record because of one think IMO. turnovers, they lead the league. If you watched that Eagles game or the NE game you would see that if just one less turnover happened in either of those games the Bills loose. Minimal mistakes is a key for us.

Romo sits to pee's "mobility" is in his ability to make a subtle shuffle or a little juke to get out of the way. When Fitzpatrick was playing for the Bengals, I remember that coach's show that show some highlights of his previous games. The man can scramble when he has to, and was pretty good at it.

---------- Post added October-28th-2011 at 10:22 AM ----------

With the Bills spreading out their offense to take advantage of the brains and mobility of quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick and the height and athleticism of their receivers, the Bengals responded by starting and sticking with a versatile nickel package of Maualuga and Howard at backer backed up by three safeties and two cornerbacks. One of the safeties, Chris Crocker, slid to corner in the slot and another one could have in the person of the speedy Reggie Nelson. The other safety that started, Gibril Wilson, offered some bulk.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-collect-Bills-Take-a-bow-backers/1559b2f4-b7ad-44ad-9e12-6fa8c4eed8f8

Fortunately for the Bills, his mobility masks their flaws. In 2008, when Fitzpatrick played for the Bengals, he finished with 304 rushing yards in 13 games, which was third among quarterbacks. Similar to Ben Roethlisberger and Aaron Rodgers, Fitzpatrick is not a “running quarterback” but uses his mobility to pick up key first downs and to extend plays looking to attack downfield.

http://thexlog.com/201109210731/xtra-point-football/nfl/ryan-fitzpatrick-is-the-rodney-dangerfield-of-nfl-qb’s/

Whatever Fitzpatrick's actual mobility is, those expecting a Rex Grossman statute are going to be sorely disappointed.

Basing my prediction on match ups, but mostly on what I believe Buffalo to be. I could very well be wrong.... If the Bills are a legitimate 10-6 playoff-type team, then they will most likely win Sunday, and it could easily be in the 10-14 point range. But I've watched the Bills and I'm just not buying them yet... At least not buying them as anything more than an 8-8 team.... Which is certainly an improvement for them.

If I'm a Bills fan I'm thrilled right now and I'd be real confident this week, but I think Buffalo has succeeded somewhat on things they cannot sustain.... Sort of the reverse of the Eagles.

I'm banking on a few things this week:

1. We run the ball reasonably well

2. Fitzgerald doesn't pick us apart or kill us with his legs on third down like Vick and Cam did

3. The luck factor starts to trend away from Buffalo

And ultimately it's an upset pick, so I'm rolling the dice here. But of all the dogs this week, I like Dallas the most to win outright followed by the skins.

The Skins will have to bring the A+ game to win this week. We are DUE for a breakout game, so hopefully the " Budget brigade" are hungry and ready to stake their claim with this team. Buffalo has been giving up a TON of yards this year ( as were the panthers), K. shanny better have a great gameplan ready.

Let's see.. we've learned Cooley had been used in a limited role of mostly blocking, so we'll see how much that will be missed. With Paulsen being a blocking guy anyway, I don't see a huge problem there.

Hightower hasn't been SUPER flashy, but he's been good, and again was important in blocking. Torains blitz pickup is at least in question as the only thing i've heard about it is Kyle saying 'he's been working on it, getting better'. That could be an issue but I wouldn't think a game changer. As for running the ball, I don't think anyone should be worried about Torain getting the rock. RB is fine.

Santana could be the biggest loss. The young's getting to start is great and all, but let's be realistic- it could be messy. Hankerson ran the wrong way on his first play. I'ts fun to see new guys but it's not an ideal situation. Gaffney's been getting the ball thrown to him a lot, and I fear he doesn't run the routes as well as Santana at #1, and may get covered harder. He's had a hard enough time catching/holding on to the ball lately, so not good if he's likely to be in more of a crowd, as #1 receiver.

Actually I take it back, the biggest loss may be the big guys on the line. Brown stunk it up last week so that doesn't help. I say that because I think Oline's the most important thing, period, but luckily Buffalo isn't exactly a pass rushing beast.

So as long as the passing game isn't riddled with mistakes from a rookie or something, I don't think the list of injuries are a great reason to lean toward Buffalo for the W, as long as the list may be.

And if we're going to pretend the injuries aren't there or don't matter, I think you're looking at a pretty good matchup for the Redskins. Let's not just act like John Beck doesn't exist ;)... that whole thing about Buffalo having a weak pass rush could be a very good thing for Mr Beck. Although I have a bad haunting (halloween?) fear that John throws a few at some lineman's hands again. I would think if their guys are so bad at getting to the QB, they've had plenty of time to practice throwing their hands up. None of those were picked last week, but he won't be that lucky forever.

It doesn't HAVE to be a big day from Torain or Helu, but I think it will be. At least enough to control the game while the defense shuts down the Bills most of the time. Keeping the Bills to 13 or 16 points might be a surprise to some, but not those that are paying attention. The Redskins are a good defense, but were no exception to Philly/Carolina. Those teams score on everybody like that. The Bills have some high scoring games, but it's much different. Please don't act all shocked, and just welcome back the Redskins good D that's had it rough the last couple weeks.

Archived