Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Philosophy: What is it exactly?

jonnyboy383

At least Gibbs was an honest man. I'm sorry but Mike has been giving us the rebuilding lip service and putting sorry/old win now product on the field. I know Mike inherited a better defense than Joe did in 2003. You can post those stats brother. Mike is looking foolish. We have no strength on this team. We have nothing we can at the very least rely on. If Fred Davis was little faster we could say Fred.

Our strength is our kicker. Seriously Mike? I'm praying that Niles and Terrance are it. But something tells me its going to be a long day Sunday.

IT IS A REBUILD!! Get that in your head, it will make things easier for you trust me... So now, Shanny is a liar...nice

Now, to get back to the OP, if you want to argue over coaches we can do that in the 50 million other threads around here about what is wrong. But the OP asked the question what is our philosophy? IMHO, the Redskins seem to go into games with the run first mantra, however, when things start to go awry, they tend to switch. In the Carolina game, THT was tearing up the Panthers, if he doesn't get hurt Cam may not put up so many points. Probably because he is not on the field as much, but who knows. It's a great question, when you watch other teams in the NFL play you can see their philosophy shine thru.

Explain. Also, what are your credentials? Which teams have you turned around from years of win-now decisions to a 1.5 season ascension to contention?

I'm a fan who spends money and time watching this team. That alone gives me the right state my opinion on who runs it and the results that are displayed on the field Sunday. A great politician can walk in a room thats hot as hell and convince his audience that its chilly by the time he gets done speaking to them. Mike has stated that this was going to be a rebuilding process yet we keep old savy vets on the field as if we're competing now.

I haven't turned around teams but like you I have witnessed teams turned around that didn't need 5 year plans. I know I'm not the only one that looks on the field Sunday and his confused by what I see going on.

Hail!

You keep making up things to argue against...

You say Gibbs 2 only got blown out twice so I showed you eight examples. You refute that by questioning Shanahan's integrity. Then you claim Shanahan is making this rebuild more complicated than he needs to...when I ask for you to give me examples, you start claiming that you can have opinions. You certainly can, but I'd like to hear what you would have done differently so far. I'd also like to hear your opinions on the rebuild moves he has made (rebuilding the D in one season, having a very strong draft, shedding bloated salaries, etc.). Lastly, I'm curious how you've determined that this is a 5-year plan? And, even if it is, did you realize that GB's current squad was essentially built over the past 5 years?

On offense: we are NOT a smashmouth team; that is not what the Shanahan running game is. Not all running games are created equal, and our running game is in no way a "smashmouth" style. We don't overpower defenders with mauling linemen. Smashmouth was old Gibbs, something seen more today in the Bay area or Baltimore or Pittsburgh. But we run to do mostly the same things (in theory, not yet completely in practice): get consistent small chunks of positive yards, control the clock, dictate tempo, keep a defense on the field and wear it down.

Where our running game differs is that it is predicated chiefly on lateral movement, getting the defensive lines and linebackers moving sideways. Ultimately, what this does is open up tons of space in the playaction game. When we run play action, linebackers aren't "frozen" in a sense but they are defending their run-gaps and are staying within the typical 4 yards of the line of scrimmage. When we bootleg, the WR/TEs have a couple more seconds to get downfield, and the gap between the linebackers and safeties is larger after 2 seconds of play than it otherwise normally would be in a standard passing play, where linebackers playing coverage would drop into their zones at the snap.

That's when we get large, easy chunks in the passing game, on deep crossing routes -- routes that aren't particularly demanding of wide receivers, which is one of the reasons why "no-names" can do well in the system, like Jabar Gaffney. These plays aren't about beating anyone man-to-man, but running the right route and making the catch with a safety bearing down (and ideally, picking up yards after the catch). It's hard to commit to stopping the run and covering these crossing routes when the plays look exactly the same in the first 2 seconds.

And of course, like all offenses, we've mixed in a bunch of the most effective plays from other schemes and coaching trees and the like.

Mike Shanahan, I believe, comes from a philosophy where he wants complete balance, 50/50 split, between run and pass. And the downfield playaction passing offense doesn't work if you don't run the ball early and fairly often, and have some success with it. Kyle appears to favor at least a 60/40 pass-run split, which I personally feel is required in today's league... and I think the league might be moving towards more of a 65-35 split. I believe the Packers threw the ball something like 70% of the Super Bowl against the Steelers, but I'm not sure about that.

On Defense: The goal of the unit is to stop the run, first and foremost, but we don't have the inside linebackers yet to excel in this department. Once having neutralized the run while making the offense one-dimensional, the defensive philosophy is to be extremely aggressive getting after the quarterback, pressuring him with our young, burgeoning bookend rushers while confusing him with varying zone looks, ultimately forcing mistakes.

Haslett preaches stripping the ball at every opportunity, and we are a defense that is designed to ideally force a lot of turnovers. Unfortunately, we haven't been thriving in this regard (yet) -- but the improvements in sacks and turnovers are obvious compared to the Blatche regime. In another year, we might have recovered 8 of our 14 'forced fumbles' rather than 3.

At least, this is how I see it all

So did Gibbs though and he made his crappy teams look more together and competent than this. I remember having hope every game when Gibbs 2.0 was here. I think we got blown out twice in his 4 year campaign. So far I can only think of few positives from Shan's campaign thus far. His best game as head coach here was Greenbay last year. Our team is so different now. New QB, new RB, new WRs lol.

Our philosophy is we're just trying to play defense because we can't score points. Run Run Run Punt. Run, Pass to Fred Davis, Run. Punt. Pass to Fred Davis, Pass to Fred Davis, Pass to Fred Davis, PUNT

Gano kicks at least 2-3 field goals a game. Be aware of our kicker who is getting better and better each week. Gano feels no pressure.

If NFL football were that easy, you'd be a head coach. Yea, all we do is run run punt. I guess we haven't scored any points this year. Must have been dreaming when I saw those touchdown drives.

I'm terribly sorry we have to punt sometimes. Also, Freddie hasn't had many catches the past couple weeks. But since we lost, now, passing to Fred Davis is our 'philosophy'. Holy cow.

I think a lot of people need to watch other games besides the Redskins and stop acting like we are the worst **** in the league, and ESPECIALLY stop drawing conclusions from a couple games. I'VE concluded most people don't know what the **** they're talking about, yet get very 'smart' after a loss.

As for philosophy, or identity, or whatever that's supposed to mean...I would say we're creating it now. How do you figure we're a smash mouth football team?(OP) Why does it have to be some cliche thing like 'smash mouth team'? We're just figuring out how to have a team period.

We'll have a better idea of what we are this season once Beck and the other new starters settle in. My personal opinion has been that inconsistent execution is still hindering the team and causing the play calling to be one-dimensional more than Mike or Kyle Shanahan is.

If we're talking end game, though, you want a team that can be whatever it needs to be to win the game that week. Exactly what balance of running and passing that entails is really going to depend on our personnel and we clearly do not have end game personnel at present.

i disagree slightly with the playcalling aspect on kyles part. initially, when you witness the play live, the play call appears idiotic and you wonder what exactly is going on. but after rewatching games, i have very little fault with Kyle's playcalling. i feel people tend to overreact to one extreme when theres any deficiency or shortcoming occuring. when the run isnt working fans clamor for kyle to open up a bit, and when the pass isnt working, fans wonder why hes abandoning the strength of this football team.

I think kyle's been pretty good overall, barring a few plays here or there. i love his approach to the rams and eagles games early on: the defense is expecting the run, so kyle calls lots of play action and pass plays. The difference is rex and to some extent beck, are not umm, very good. I suppose if there is a fault, its Kyle expecting his quarterbacks to make these plays.

Archived