Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Philosophy: What is it exactly?

jonnyboy383

I'm still a bit confused as to what exactly is the Redskins' overall philosophy and who is calling the plays. It seems like we want to be and can be a dominating smash mouth football team with power run, power defense and special teams. However, too easily when the run game doesn't work for one or two downs, we abandon it completely and become too pass happy. Please help me answer this question because I feel conflicted as to the identity of this team. Part of me wants to see more pass happy offense to open the run game and more aggressive on 3rd down instead of being too run-run-pass predictable. I'd like to hear it from you guys as to what this is or what it should be.

Please, I'm being dead serious here and I'm not trying to be sarcastic or insulting. I'm a die hard Skins fan and I will always root for them rain or shine. I get pissed after every loss and ecstatic after any win. I just want to hear what other people have to say about this because I'm conflicted. Part of me wants to see the team truly committed to run, but if it doesn't work, at least stay more committed if this is the true philosophy. Or maybe Kyle Shanahan doesn't like running plays, I honestly don't know. I know we are truly devastated by injury, no Hightower, no Moss, no Cooley, weak offensive line, but I will always cheer for the Redskins. I say we still have a good team, still young and John Beck will surprise a lot of us. Let me know what you guys think.

We'll have a better idea of what we are this season once Beck and the other new starters settle in. My personal opinion has been that inconsistent execution is still hindering the team and causing the play calling to be one-dimensional more than Mike or Kyle Shanahan is.

If we're talking end game, though, you want a team that can be whatever it needs to be to win the game that week. Exactly what balance of running and passing that entails is really going to depend on our personnel and we clearly do not have end game personnel at present.

I personally think that Kyle over thinks himself a lil on scripting the first plays. Against the Rams,who were terrible at defending the run,we came out and did exactly what the Ravens did the week prior as if they didnt remember the quick points they gave up on those fade routes. The Eagles were also bad,not terrible, at defending the run and we opened up with passes instead of attacking their weakness.

When we get down in games we go to the air more obviously to pick up larger chunks of field more quickly but seem to almost abandon the run. I think Kyle is doing a decent job and its always easy to second guess a call. If it fails he's a moron if it succeeds he's a genius. I try my best to stay out of those debates.

I think we WANT to be a running smashmouth football team that uses the run to draw the safeties up, to open up the pass, but given recent injuries and situations we are finding that harder to do. I could go more into what i would like to see but its really irrelevant. As im not the coach or player.

I really think our coaches are just not very good at all.

What about this coaching staff do you think isn't very good? I am confused, Shanny inherited a nightmare, and after one season the FO (Allen and Shanny) has had one of our better drafts in a long while. We are no longer in cap hell, we have young talent and our D is steadily improving with the right parts getting in place. Notice I said getting in place. So, again what are they so bad at?

What about this coaching staff do you think isn't very good? I am confused, Shanny inherited a nightmare, and after one season the FO (Allen and Shanny) has had one of our better drafts in a long while. We are no longer in cap hell, we have young talent and our D is steadily improving with the right parts getting in place. Notice I said getting in place. So, again what are they so bad at?

So did Gibbs though and he made his crappy teams look more together and competent than this. I remember having hope every game when Gibbs 2.0 was here. I think we got blown out twice in his 4 year campaign. So far I can only think of few positives from Shan's campaign thus far. His best game as head coach here was Greenbay last year. Our team is so different now. New QB, new RB, new WRs lol.

Our philosophy is we're just trying to play defense because we can't score points. Run Run Run Punt. Run, Pass to Fred Davis, Run. Punt. Pass to Fred Davis, Pass to Fred Davis, Pass to Fred Davis, PUNT

Gano kicks at least 2-3 field goals a game. Be aware of our kicker who is getting better and better each week. Gano feels no pressure.

These guys don't adjust to anything the other teams are doing and the play calling in the red zone sucks. I don't want to hear we are rebuilding, look at some of these other teams that are way ahead of us, that sucked last season. I don't think Shanny will be here after next season

So did Gibbs though and he made his crappy teams look more together and competent than this. I remember having hope every game when Gibbs 2.0 was here. I think we got blown out twice in his 4 year campaign. So far I can only think of few positives from Shan's campaign thus far. His best game as head coach here was Greenbay last year. Our team is so different now. New QB, new RB, new WRs lol.

Our philosophy is we're just trying to play defense because we can't score points. Run Run Run Punt. Run, Pass to Fred Davis, Run. Punt. Pass to Fred Davis, Pass to Fred Davis, Pass to Fred Davis, PUNT

Boy. You, sir, have a very short memory. :doh:

With the exception of the 2 crazy runs we had in 2005 and 2007 (2nd half runs, mind you), the problem we had with Gibbs 2.0 is exactly the problem we have now. Inconsistency on offense. Think about how many games we blew, and how god awful we looked at times during his 4 year tenure here.

With Shanahan, you can sense that there is something building slowly with young players being added. Gibbs was all about the "Win Now" mentality.

Gano kicks at least 2-3 field goals a game. Be aware of our kicker who is getting better and better each week. Gano feels no pressure.

Gibbs at least had somewhat of an offensive line and a young clinton portis at his disposal, oh and yeah, the best Defensive player to wear a Redskins jersey - 21. His talent pool was off the charts compared to this group Shanny has, Shanny is at least taking us to a youth movement and with that inconsistency will exist. Toss in all the injuries and my goodness, who knows what is going to happen. I still disagree with the idea that this coaching staff is bad.

These guys don't adjust to anything the other teams are doing and the play calling in the red zone sucks. I don't want to hear we are rebuilding, look at some of these other teams that are way ahead of us, that sucked last season. I don't think Shanny will be here after next season

they seem to adjust to the other teams strengths.

So many people say that the NFL is now a pass happy league but I've yet to see the Skins lose because they focus to much on the run. It's when they try to pass a lot with no balance that they look weak. But I think Kyle wants to make this place Houston East.

Its almost like hes taking his sweet time with this plan. Like what is the plan? Our strength was our 4-3. He blew it up for his 3-4. He traded two picks to our divison rival for a washed up fat QB. He even inherited a crappy offense and didn't add any skill to any area. I give him a pass on the QB fail but why couldn't you upgrade our ****y WRs? Why didn't we trade for Brandon Marshall?

Why was Joey Galloway here so long? That leadership he displayed in the locker room really isn't rubbing off on these sorry ass WRs this year. Why was Roydell here? Why is Stallworth here and inactive every week? We kept 7 bull **** receivers Mike. Really?

Gibbs at least had somewhat of an offensive line and a young clinton portis at his disposal, oh and yeah, the best Defensive player to wear a Redskins jersey - 21. His talent pool was off the charts compared to this group Shanny has, Shanny is at least taking us to a youth movement and with that inconsistency will exist. Toss in all the injuries and my goodness, who knows what is going to happen. I still disagree with the idea that this coaching staff is bad.

Stop it

Shanny inherited a top 10 defense. Gibbs didn't have that. Our 2003 defense was ****. Shanny took our one consistent strength and made it worse. We always had crappy offense. Now we just suck all the way around and I don't know where this is going.

Fever, in 2004 we lost games by 14 and 22 and also lost another game to the hapless Browns. In 2005 we lost a game by 36 and lost a home game to the hapless Raiders. In 2006 We lost games by 17, 16, 14, and 24. In 2007 we Lost a game by 45 points. All of this occurred with a team that was heavy with veterans and built in an attempt to win immediately.

I love Gibbs as much as anyone and he will always be my favorite coach no matter how many rings another coach wins here, but I thought that facts might come in handy here...carry on.

Wow, really!? Shanny not here after next season...can't even respond to that..

What? the run was killer in the first half until THT went down. The second half we implement bootlegs and got big plays to both TEs. The Defense lost us the game. Sure we still aren't scoring in the red zone but that isn't new and with Cooley out that hurts us. We need to get better at that for sure but we need a true WR threat there.

Fever, in 2004 we lost games by 14 and 22 and also lost another game to the hapless Browns. In 2005 we lost a game by 36 and lost a home game to the hapless Raiders. In 2006 We lost games by 17, 16, 14, and 24. In 2007 we Lost a game by 45 points. All of this occurred with a team that was heavy with veterans and built in an attempt to win immediately.

I love Gibbs as much as anyone and he will always be my favorite coach no matter how many rings another coach wins here, but I thought that facts might come in handy here...carry on.

At least Gibbs was an honest man. I'm sorry but Mike has been giving us the rebuilding lip service and putting sorry/old win now product on the field. I know Mike inherited a better defense than Joe did in 2003. You can post those stats brother. Mike is looking foolish. We have no strength on this team. We have nothing we can at the very least rely on. If Fred Davis was little faster we could say Fred.

Our strength is our kicker. Seriously Mike? I'm praying that Niles and Terrance are it. But something tells me its going to be a long day Sunday.

Stop it

Shanny inherited a top 10 defense. Gibbs didn't have that. Our 2003 defense was ****. Shanny took our one consistent strength and made it worse. We always had crappy offense. Now we just suck all the way around and I don't know where this is going.

It was not a top 10 D when we lost ST, I don't care what the stats say, once he was gone our D changed. Plus, that D was so old up front. We do not suck all the way around, you just can't step back and see the improvement from last year to this year on D, because you're so focused on hating Shanny and staff..

It was not a top 10 D when we lost ST, I don't care what the stats say, once he was gone our D changed. Plus, that D was so old up front. We do not suck all the way around, you just can't step back and see the improvement from last year to this year on D, because you're so focused on hating Shanny and staff..

Stick to stats and facts and not emotions brother. I don't hate Mike man. I think Dan hired the right guy for the job and I will be honest and objective when I asses him and the product on the field. Fever is results driven.

Anyways, the D was top 10. It needed faster/aggressive pieces. Basically it needed a little retooling not a complete face lift.

Stick to stats and facts and not emotions brother. I don't hate Mike man. I think Dan hired the right guy for the job and I will be honest and objective when I asses him and the product on the field. Fever is results driven.

Anyways, the D was top 10. It needed faster/aggressive pieces. Basically it needed a little retooling not a complete face lift.

The D we had could have gotten more sacks if Blatche was more agressive. But generally LBs are better athletes than DL and it's athletes that generate turnovers.

The D we had could have gotten more sacks if Blatche was more agressive. But generally LBs are better athletes than DL and it's athletes that generate turnovers.

If you the casual fan can recognize this why didn't the shan? it would have made his life easier to say hmm "I'll get faster aggressive Dlinmen and LBs for this already strong 4-3, bump LaRon back to SS and look for my FS"

That would have allowed us to focus on getting some skill players on the other side of the ball. We need some big fast players on offense. This redzone problem has been here since 2005. Chris Cooley, David Patten, Rod Gardner, Santana Moss, Lavernous Coles, Robert Royal, Clinton Portis, Sean Taylor, Taylor Jacobs none them could solve it. Lets stop beating around the bush. This is a score lots of points league.

If you the casual fan can recognize this why didn't the shan? it would have made his life easier to say hmm "I'll get faster aggressive Dlinmen and LBs for this already strong 4-3, bump LaRon back to SS and look for my FS"

That would have allowed us to focus on getting some skill players on the other side of the ball. We need some big fast players on offense. This redzone problem has been here since 2005. Chris Cooley, David Patten, Rod Gardner, Santana Moss, Lavernous Coles, Robert Royal, Clinton Portis, Sean Taylor, Taylor Jacobs none them could solve it. Lets stop beating around the bush. This is a score lots of points league.

I was actually defending his choice, to a degree. Getting more LB's on the field is technically a good idea if you're trying for more athletes.

Fact is Blache was never going to be agressive, though I think Hazlett can coach 4-3 as well as 3-4. Whatever the switch I doubt Haynesworth would have ever done anything.

Stick to stats? OK, you claimed two blowouts and I showed you eight...facts are the same as stats, so isn't it fair that you practice what you preach?

Shanahan inherited the #10 D from 2009, has replaced 5-6 contributors and now has the #12 D...so it's not like he is just coasting with what he inherited.

Archived