Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Slate: The Most Isolated Man on the Planet

China

Note: this article is over a year old, but I've been unable to find any updates.

The Most Isolated Man on the Planet

The most isolated man on the planet will spend tonight inside a leafy palm-thatch hut in the Brazilian Amazon. As always, insects will darn the air. Spider monkeys will patrol the treetops. Wild pigs will root in the undergrowth. And the man will remain a quietly anonymous fixture of the landscape, camouflaged to the point of near invisibility.

That description relies on a few unknowable assumptions, obviously, but they're relatively safe. The man's isolation has been so well-established—and is so mind-bendingly extreme—that portraying him silently enduring another moment of utter solitude is a practical guarantee of reportorial accuracy.

He's an Indian, and Brazilian officials have concluded that he's the last survivor of an uncontacted tribe. They first became aware of his existence nearly 15 years ago and for a decade launched numerous expeditions to track him, to ensure his safety, and to try to establish peaceful contact with him. In 2007, with ranching and logging closing in quickly on all sides, government officials declared a 31-square-mile area around him off-limits to trespassing and development.

It's meant to be a safe zone. He's still in there. Alone.

Click on the link for the full article

Yeah I saw a little documentary about him last year. IIRC, there's a bit of controversy about or a questioning of the story that's being told about him. But still, I've always enjoyed thinking about these people that live off in another world--mostly oblivious to everything else on the planet. I mean think about that.

Yeah I saw a little documentary about him last year. IIRC, there's a bit of controversy about or a questioning of the story that's being told about him. But still, I've always enjoyed thinking about these people that live off in another world--mostly oblivious to everything else on the planet. I mean think about that.

I think if you look closely you'll find there are a lot of people in this country that are mostly oblivious to what goes on in the rest of the world.

Drop a Coke bottle. That might shake things up.

1951296_com_nxauasxiin.jpg

My favorite movie ever. Somehow I got a VHS copy when I was like 8. I watched that thing (and the first TMNT movie) on a loop.

---------- Post added October-13th-2011 at 01:32 PM ----------

I think if you look closely you'll find there are a lot of people in this country that are mostly oblivious to what goes on in the rest of the world.

Lol, very true. But we know what cars are, books, written language, scissors, guns, crayons, etc etc etc. I mean these people essentially live in the Stone Age--and don't even realize it. That trips me out.

Archived